+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: 4/15 DWTS 16 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: 4/15 DWTS 16 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

I liked the side by sides, too! I think it helps the stars to see a pro of the same sex do the part they'l lbe doing so they can mirror their moves. A pro can explain how to do a move multiple times but to see it in action and then copy it yourself is the best instruction. Most of the stars did a great job this week.

I'm a Tristan fan, too. I hope some season he gets a good star so he can have a crack at his team getting the mirror ball trophy.
    ilja likes this.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Zendaya is 5'10" and if we saw her seated around a table I bet she would appear the same height as I am (5'3") because her legs are Barbi Doll proportion. And that girl can dance. The only reason she would not win would be Kellie having more fans. I expect to see them as F2.

Jacobe is good but his personality does not draw you in and that is key. He is not able to corredt his pidgeon toes, it is just how he is built. Because it annoys Len, he may not have scores to make it beyond F3 or 4.

Can anyone explain the no lift rule? Zendaya and others spent a lot of time in the air and not a peep from CA. Is it, the pros can lift the contestants but the contestants are not allowed to lift the pros? When Len snipped at CA about a lift she was grousing about he said, "there was no intent to lift" so he ignored it.
    Zendaya danced the Argentine Tango which is a dance where lifts are allowed. Most dances it's not allowed in but Contemporary, Lindy Hop, Argentine Tango, and a few others all allow for lifts as it's a part of the dance.
    Florimel likes this.
    "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." ~Elbert Hubbard
    "Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product." ~Eleanor Roosevelt
    ~R.I.P. Grandma 6/22/33 - 10/5/10~

Can anyone explain the no lift rule? Zendaya and others spent a lot of time in the air and not a peep from CA. Is it, the pros can lift the contestants but the contestants are not allowed to lift the pros? When Len snipped at CA about a lift she was grousing about he said, "there was no intent to lift" so he ignored it.
    It depends on the dance. Some dances allow lifts and some don't. I don't know the full list of what dances allow and what dances don't - but I do know for sure that AT is one of the dances that does allow lifts (can anyone forget Erin jumping in Maks' arms their season?)!!

I really enjoyed Z and V last night (and Maks probably helped that). I have been very impressed with V this season, both his choreography and his clear respect for his partner. And I agree with others - Z is a fantastic dancer, but it is the emotion that she is able to convey that has really won me over. I am seriously shocked the girl is only 16. She is amazing.
    Shoepie and ilja like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I liked the side by sides, too! I think it helps the stars to see a pro of the same sex do the part they'l lbe doing so they can mirror their moves. A pro can explain how to do a move multiple times but to see it in action and then copy it yourself is the best instruction. Most of the stars did a great job this week.

I'm a Tristan fan, too. I hope some season he gets a good star so he can have a crack at his team getting the mirror ball trophy.
    He is quickly becoming one of my favorite pros.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I love Tristan too. He needs to get someone younger for once so we can really see him shine!
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Zendaya is 5'10" and if we saw her seated around a table I bet she would appear the same height as I am (5'3") because her legs are Barbi Doll proportion. And that girl can dance. The only reason she would not win would be Kellie having more fans. I expect to see them as F2.

Jacobe is good but his personality does not draw you in and that is key. He is not able to corredt his pidgeon toes, it is just how he is built. Because it annoys Len, he may not have scores to make it beyond F3 or 4.

In professional and amateur competitions no lifts are allowed in Ballroom dancing. The reason is simple, the judges want to see if you can dance the technique, because the technique is exacting and difficult. Lifts are considered "filler" for wow factor, but not dancing.

So in all 10 dances : Ballroom Standard - Foxtrot, Quickstep, Tango, Waltz and Viennese Waltz,
    and in the Latin - Cha Cha Cha, Rhumba, Paso Doble, Samba and Jive there are no lifts allowed.

Where there are lifts they are either show dances or not part of Ballroom dancing. Competitors on the pro circuit may put lifts in for effect either before the dance starts or after the dance ends. DWTS allows for these little flourishes.

Jitterbug and Lindy Hop full of lifts are social dances, not ballroom syllabus. Social dances worry less about technique.
    Jazz and Contemporary introduced this year, lifts are part of the dance since it's a modern version of a pas de deux in Ballet, where lifts are key to the dance. Salsa is, a great social dance with lots of lifts and tricks, but it's not ballroom.

Argentine Tango is also not Ballroom - International or American style, it is a genre on to itself, with many different sub genres. As such, the entire feel and movement of the dance is completely different from International style. It is more of a salon circular dance, the dancers don't move around the ballroom in a marching style like you see in the regular Tango. There are many stylized Lifts and are embedded into the movement of the dance. For example, if you put a lift into a Jive, you'd have to stop the jive footwork and do the trick... but with some lifts in Argentine dancing the movement is continuous, the female often does engaunchos while she's being lifted, that sort of thing.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 04-16-2013 at 12:27 PM.

THanks for that info. I had no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Zendaya needs someone taller, She was stooped over and her posture was awful at one point. I think she would have been better paired with Maks or Tony, not sure if they are taller, but Val looks sort of squatty beside her.She also had very wobbly legs last night- not that it matters, I think ABC got themselves one of the better ringers
    I guess I am not a fan. I am also glad she got rid of those ridiculous talons she wore during rehearsal, nine inch nails and all a different color.
    That's what I've been thinking as well. With heels on Z seems to be slightly taller than Val and at times it does make things seem a bit off. I was watching Maks and Val side by side and Maks is taller. I know he is 6' 2" so I'm guessing Val is at most 5' 11".

I'm liking Val and Z and the dancing they have done thus far so I can't complain but, I do wonder what she would have been like with Maks.
    Alcohol does not solve problems but neither does milk...

The best exercise in the world is to bend down and help someone up.

Or maybe Val could perhaps be 6' even (although I'm leaning toward 5'11")? And yep, I DO wonder what she'd've been like with Maks, or Tony even (6'1").

Don't the guys wear --- or SOMETIMES wear --- those male dance shoes that have the 2" Cuban heels on 'em? Even WITH that, Z is no munchkin, so if she just put on 2" heels, that'd shoot her up to 6'.

Oh well, they got it right with the dance partner, but the height?

Oh, well.

I STILL expect Z and V to either take it all, or finish up F2.

And love Peta, I do, but if she ever, EVER in this lifetime opts to try to go for a blonde 'fro again, her rear end needs to be kicked from an amazing grace to a profound revelation. The PANTS didn't bother me at all. But that HAIR? God have MERCY!

Sean . . . I'm SO proud of him. All his hard work absolutely paid off! And, yep, it helped tremendously that he had a male dancer --- the luscious Tris, of course! --- to model off of and learn from.

All in all, much as I pumped my breaks at Len's original explanation of his side-by-side dancing twist, I'll have to eat SOME crow and admit that on the whole, I think it worked pretty WELL for most everybody concerned. Yep, I STILL think it could've and should've waited a show or two (or three), because most of these folks are NOT a Z, or Kellie. So from that standpoint, this could've gone REALLY wrong, and factored in to throwing some folks under the bus, bigtime. But overall, and generally, I found and have to admit that I rather liked it. Also, I have to admit that my initial "Oh this is BS!" reaction had to do with how hateful Len was to DL initially, and how he can be, just on GP, when he's trying to be "funny".

As for DL?

Rooting for him, I am, but for him, I think it's time to turn out the lights in the ballroom and go home.

If he DOES go, he can be damned proud of his showing!
    Last edited by ness; 04-16-2013 at 02:33 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Maks and Val are reportedly the same height.

Anna Trebunskaya 5'4
    Chelsie Hightower: 5'2-5'4.
    Cheryl Burke: 5'4.
    Peta Murgatroyd: 5'7
    Karina Smirnoff: 5'5
    Kym Johnson: 5'7

Derek Hough: 5'10.
    Maksim Chmerkovskiy: 6'2
    Mark Ballas: 5'6"
    Tony Dovolani: 6'1.
    Tristan MacManus: 5'11
    Val Chmerkovskiy: 6'2.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread