+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Aly Raisman & Mark Ballas - Season 16

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Re: Aly Raisman & Mark Ballas - Season 16

Eh, Andy & Sean's abilities were comparable, but Andy's PERFORMANCE abilities were a lot better than Sean's. I think they would have been a fair fight/match. Except the judges (cough, CAI, cough) had decided to throw their votes Sean's way. And, I think Mark and his mum are doing damage control.

Whatever, although a fan of the show since the beginning, I have deleted DWTS from my Twitter account and have reset my DVR to record "Defiance" on Syfy on Monday nights (have you checked it out? It's FUN and it's fiction that doesn't try to pretend to be reality). Tuesdays are now wide open.

Tom Bergeron, I think you're great - but you deserve a better show.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

FORT Fogey

Again, I am going to try to step back and try and look at this as fairly as I can to see if I can maybe assess the situation with some accuracy.

What did we know or had heard going into the show?

We knew that Andy previously had very serious abuse problems that he was overcoming by working extremely hard. As a result, his verbal attitude and actions had done a complete about face which had resulted in so many, many people pulling for Andy and being in Andy's corner, so to speak.

Most of us freely admitted that while we admired the heck out of the change in Andy - his dedication to progress in both life and the show - Andy provided us with entertaining but from a technique perspective weak to sometimes poorly danced performances even though he was improving.

Someone stated earlier in the week before the show on last Monday night that Andy wanted off because he had a TV pilot scheduled. I have no idea of that statement's veracity, and it was buried in all the other posts. It would be interesting to know if that piece of info is indeed true because if that is so than that would help to explain all of this.

As to Andy's emotional exit and comments.....bless his heart, Andy has been emotional from the start, and I wouldn't expect anything less if he had a previously scheduled tour to Europe obligation - which is a completely made up statement. I think in his life situation Andy just became completely submerged in this whole DWTS experience start to finish, complete to the exit lines out the door.

The show's producers cater to controversy and encourage it. We have seen examples of this in past seasons. They like to stir it up now and then for the drama and to help the ratings.
    It would not surprise me a bit if their hand was in it encouraging by a little nudge of suggestion here and there who should dance what against whom. They have ways of making things sound "good" and reasonable at the time that come out in the edit looking and sounding sometimes not very good or nice at all - maybe even a little shady or underhanded......
    (The explanation we have heard the contestants are given over and over again when they question 'why' is "You knew what you were getting into when you signed up for this.".......What they don't say is, "You poor smuck.")

Now Sean.....While techically not really a good dancer, he actually is a better technical dancer than Andy - Sean just doesn't have a hard luck story, he didn't come into the season having to overcome anything, and in fact he came in riding high, so to speak, after a very happy ending to his Bachelor season. His entire situation could not be more opposite than Andy's situation.
    Therefore, the human nature tendency is to pull for Andy over Sean and to possibly rationalize it and justify it by claiming that Andy is as good as Sean, better than Sean, has made more improvement than Sean, anything that can be thought of to explain why Andy should have beat out Sean to stay.

In trying to assess the situation fairly, I think with my heart if Andy truly wanted to stay I would want him to stay; however, fairly I would have to say that by ability the judges were correct to select Sean to stay since technically Sean is the stronger dancer of the two.

That said, I wish Andy the best in life, and Sean every happiness regardless of how long he manages to make it.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Ah Bloomers, how dare you use logic and common sense!
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as an idol?

Yes, what a great post Bloomers!! thank you
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Sean may be only slightly a better dancer. he has zero musicality, and even less self awareness, but he got propped by the show, I mean seriously that YMCA encore was nothing more than a bad joke. Andy on the other hand has a much better storyline, he was infinitely more like able and his new pro was outstanding. So yes, a Jive dance off would have exposed Sean again for his lack of musicality, and Andy just might have squeezed out a win. The dance off as it were showed that the judges were wrong about giving the sit on the toilet rumba a higher score in the first place, and the points went rightfully to Ingo.

To neatly get Rid of Andy in the dance off Sean got off easy. I wonder how many of the Sean lovers would be so happy if Sean had to Rumba against Jacoby.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 05-04-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    Sean may be only slightly a better dancer. he has zero musicality, and even less self awareness, but he got propped by the show, I mean seriously that YMCA encore was nothing more than a bad joke. Andy on the other hand has a much better storyline, he was infinitely more like able and his new pro was outstanding. So yes, a Jive dance off would have exposed Sean again for his lack of musicality, and Andy just might have squeezed out a win. The dance off as it were showed that the judges were wrong about giving the sit on the toilet rumba a higher score in the first place, and the points went rightfully to Ingo.

To neatly get Rid of Andy in the dance off Sean got off easy. I wonder how many of the Sean lovers would be so happy if Sean had to Rumba against Jacoby.
    To answer your last question, the only two dancers I could have seen Sean beating in the dance-off were Andy and Ingo. I honestly thought the higher scored couples were each going to pick one of the bottom 3 guys thus guaranteeing no one at the bottom got extra points. When that wasn't the scenario that played out, I wasn't upset at all.

And the YMCA encore only happened because of Bruno. Plain and simple. Blame that on TPTB all you want, but it ain't Sean's fault.
    Need40winks likes this.
    "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." ~Elbert Hubbard
    "Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product." ~Eleanor Roosevelt
    ~R.I.P. Grandma 6/22/33 - 10/5/10~

I know I was complicit in taking the discussion off topic from Aly/Mark to Andy/Sean, but it is time to reel it back in.

Please return this thread to Aly and Mark. She is one I think has improved the most this season.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I know I was complicit in taking the discussion off topic from Aly/Mark to Andy/Sean, but it is time to reel it back in.

Please return this thread to Aly and Mark. She is one I think has improved the most this season.
    She really has, I see her with more confidence
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post

I'm sorry, Ariel, for my part in this. Could you perhaps, please, move the discussion to the appropriate place? I think it might have some potential for interesting different points of view. Thanks if it is possible, and thanks even it is isn't.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

For those who wish to continue the Andy/Sean comparison, perhaps you could take the discussion to the Sean/Peta thread as he is still actively participating on the show.

I'm not going to move posts because the timeline will be all over the place in the other thread.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast