+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Dorothy Hamill & Tristan MacManus - Season 16

Re: Dorothy Hamill & Tristan MacManus - Season 16

Goodness gracious how far my post has gone off it's original meaning LOL

All I said is that I don't believe her balance issues came from figure skating. It certainly did not affect Kristi's performances as she won her season. I have ice skated since I was 6 years old (not professionally but still), and it doesn't mess with my balance either. That is ALL I commented on hehe. Does she have balance issues? Maybe, but from a cyst on her spine, not due to figure skating. I don't know how fear even came in to play, not from me lol. I've been injured plenty in the past, including a car accident (I was hit by a drunk driver) that totally screwed up both my legs, but I still run competitively (half marathons), weight lift, hike mountains (twice a week in fact), dance, etc, and I am turning 50 in a month.

If we really do know our bodies better as we age, then Dorothy should have known from the get go that this was not going to be a good competition for her to participate in. She crumbled before she even began really.

That being cleared up (I hope lol), I've always been a big fan of Dorothy's. I am sorry to see her go so early due to an injury. I love Tristan and I hope next season they finally give him someone younger or at least in better shape, so he can be on our screens dancing for more of the season.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Not to beat a dead horse about the balance issue,
    I'm just an old horse ... not a dead one... yet.

I want to add that I hope I am off base here, but there are some bone/calcium issues involved with late stage breast cancer and I just hope this is not a part of it.

I really hope she is going to be okay and around for a long while.

Whatever the case, I think DWTS was on Dorothy's Bucket List and I just wish they would figure out a way to keep her involved.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    This post missed the time cut yesterday and MFWalkoff was kind enough to save it for me. (Thank you. MFW !)

Although Dorothy's balance is no longer an issue, I still think that her own fear supplemented the Doctor's advice in making her decision.

You know ... I fractured a femur Seven (7) months ago ... and the bone and the X-rays say that the bone and surgical repair are all healed. BUT ... I am still fearful when walking on solid, flat, dry surfaces. I don't want to fall again.

So ... I'm talking about just walking for goodness sake, not walking a tightrope 5 feet above ground. It may be hard to understand if you've not been there done that.

She even said something like she didn't feel anything but it was in her head/mind. I totally empathize ... in fact when people ask I tell them my mind hasn't accepted that my body is all better.

So that fear has a LOT to do with balance.
    I am not even close to Dorothy's age but if I had a cyst on my spine I would be doing everything to take care of it and/or get rid of it. IMO "Fear"" has nothing to do with taking good care of yourself. Anytime anthing is pressing on one's spine it is a dangerous situation.

I am happy that Dorothy made the wise health decision she did and I am also a little sad to see that some are putting her decision down as "fear" when it is really common sense.

(I do agree from personal experience with weight lifting injuries I've had that having suffered an injury and going through the amount of time it takes to heal does make you think about your body and your movements in a different way.)

Dorothy's first interview after leaving the show:

Dorothy Hamill Interview
    Last edited by DancingDad; 03-27-2013 at 08:11 PM.

You know ... I fractured a femur Seven (7) months ago ... and the bone and the X-rays say that the bone and surgical repair are all healed. BUT ... I am still fearful when walking on solid, flat, dry surfaces. I don't want to fall again.

So ... I'm talking about just walking for goodness sake, not walking a tightrope 5 feet above ground. It may be hard to understand if you've not been there done that.

She even said something like she didn't feel anything but it was in her head/mind. I totally empathize ... in fact when people ask I tell them my mind hasn't accepted that my body is all better.

So that fear has a LOT to do with balance.
    I do understand what you are saying as I fell about 7 months ago and broke my Fibula and Tibia. I have a plate, 3 screws, and 12 pins just above my ankle and after going through the surgery, different casts, physical therapy and from wheel chair to walker and then to cane I still have a tremendous fear of falling. I don't use my cane in my house, but do need it when I go outside.

I worry more about her cyst near her spine. I think she is doing the right thing in taking care of that first and foremost. As much as she wanted to do this show, her health comes first. Dorothy and I also have something in common in that we are both breast cancer survivors. That alone presents another kind of fear. A fear of it returning remains with you forever. I know because I experience it myself.

I just hope and pray that everything turns out okay for her. She is a beautiful, classy and gracious lady. I will miss seeing her, but just want her to be okay. Thank you Dorothy for everything you brought to us throughout the years.

Whether it was her decision to leave or if she was darned near forbidden by her doctors, I think her decision to leave before someone else was sent home was very gracious & giving. What a lovely lady.
    NCLurker, Florimel, ness and 1 others like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post

Dorothy Hamill Interview
    Thank you DancingDad. I figured she had to be in tremendous pain when I saw that big ice pack sticking out of her back.

Having had 5 back surgeries with two fusions I know how bad that pain is. Nerve pain is the worst and just shows you what a determined, strong and beautiful lady she is. I wish her the best!!!

I hope that if her health permits, she'll be invited back in a future season.
    ilja likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I hope that if her health permits, she'll be invited back in a future season.
    Me, too!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post

Dorothy Hamill Interview
    THANKS, DancingDad!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread