+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Dorothy Hamill & Tristan MacManus - Season 16

Re: Dorothy Hamill & Tristan MacManus - Season 16

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    I will follow the show this season because of her. I met her a few times and she is just as sweet in real life as she appears to be on TV. I'm glad she's paired with Tristan who I also like. Go Dorothy!
    That's nice to hear!

It's SO good to know that someone who comes across as a doll on TV is not faking it in real life.
    ilja and EnglishCadbury like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    I love her. Cancer survivor and icon to all. I hope she does better than martina navratilova (who I also adored)
    I would think that Dorothy would have a huge advantage over Martina Navratilova in that her sport involves music/choreography while Martina's does not. Not that dancing and skating are exactly alike, but they have more in common than dancing and tennis do--and the past skaters on the show (Kristie Yamaguchi and Evan Lysacek) have done well. Not that Dorothy isn't older than Kristie and Evan, but she's known for her elegant line and flow on the ice which should, I think, help her in the ballroom dances at least. She's also had to learn to play to crowds as a professional skater, which is something a professional tennis player doesn't have to do.

Nothing against Martina, by the way. I think it was very good of her to do something so far out of her comfort zone just to show people that they should always be willing to take chances, regardless of their ages. I'd say the same thing about any skater and any tennis player. Figure skating competitions just have more elements in common with ballroom dance competitions than do tennis matches.
    EnglishCadbury likes this.

ITA Tilden. I just put them together because they are both female and groundbreaking athletes. If you compare to vigorously swatting a ball to dancing on ice - a total difference!

Plus I just LOVE them!!!
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

FORT Fogey

I'd recommend that anyone who hasn't seen it, take a look on youtube of Dorothy's free skate at the 1974 Munich Worlds. She skated directly after a young woman from Munich, whom the crowd felt had been underscored, though she'd gotten pretty decent scores actually. The crowd whistled and booed for a full five minutes, and poor Dorothy, who wasn't aware of what had happened (I'm not sure why, though many skaters stay far enough away backstage that they don't hear how other skaters do), thought they were booing her, because she was already on the ice waiting to be called to start. Because of the unruly crowd, she wasn't called to start and wasn't called to start, and she finally got off the ice and started crying in her coach's arms, at which point the crowd finally caught on to what they were doing to a seventeen year old girl, who had nothing to do with the scoring of her competitor. She was given the option of taking a few minutes before starting, but instead, you can see her stop her tears, square her shoulders, and resolutely march back out to the ice--and then skate a performance so good that she got only one 5.8 and all the rest 5.9s, except for a 6.0 as an artistic mark from the British judge. Not to mention a standing ovation from the crowd in Munich.

Unless she's changed a lot over the years, she's going to give whatever she's got to give in the competition. And, btw, that beautiful double axel of hers in 1974 would stand up against anyone's today for height and sheer ice coverage. If ladies were doing triples back then, I'm sure Dorothy would have been doing triples.

I hope Dorothy and Tristan make it a while. It's encouraging that he went with her on her last two tour dates to Chicago (Friday) and Maine, tomorrow. I'm still upset that they didn't send him where Pamela was last season.

In her biography online, I read that she believes someone tried to run her down in their car while she was at the Olympics! And her first husband (just divorced from) crashed his plane right after hearing she would re-marry. And she's suffered from depression and then cancer, and the drug she's on to prevent cancer recurrence prevents her from taking her antidepressants... Yet despite it all, she's the sweetest, most self-deprecating little thing I've ever seen. Fingers crossed they do well, but I don't trust this show to be fair, especially when they're desperate to get younger people to watch.
    There is no such thing as a person that nothing has happened to, and each person's story is as different as his fingertips.
    Elsa Lanchester

FORT Fogey

There's a sweet video of them on the ET site (you can link to it through Dorothy's twitter). Throughout the entire interview, Tristan has his arm draped over her shoulder, and toward the very end of it, she's shown laughing and saying, "See what he has to put up with?" And then she kisses him on the cheek and says, "Yummy!" Understand, it all just looks friendly--nothing more. I'm certainly not suggesting America's sweetheart is a cougar.

They're very cute together, and Tristan looks very relaxed. I bet he appreciates having a partner who's at least easy to deal with this time out. Not that Gladys was difficult, but he's had some other partners who were a handful and/or not really up to the work.

Oh, yeah, and when she said she was the oldest contestant, he said she was one of the fittest and "in good nick." Confused both Dorothy and the interviewer. Apparently that means in good shape.

My hope is that Dorothy and Tristan get to the finals.I would love for these two to have the "adorable" story of the season. Tristan went home first last season, but maybe he can pull a PETA, where she went home first one season then won the next. But with all these young ringers, Ally, Zendaya, and Kellie who has dance gymnastics and cheer leading in her background Dorothy has a far bigger challenge than Kristie Yamaguchi ever did. Not to mention Kristie was 20 years Dorothy's junior when she won DWTS.

But I always loved Dorothy Hamill and Tristan is in Her words Yummy
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 03-14-2013 at 08:29 PM.
    ilja likes this.

Why does Tristan always get the oldies? Is it cuz producers think his choreography is too boring for the younger stars?

FORT Fogey

Probably for the same reason that Louis always got the head cases and Derek never gets anyone who's old or has two completely left feet. It's the role the producers have decided he's to play. That's why he probably lucked out with Dorothy. Even if they don't make the finals, at least he has someone who has some potential and who's easy to work with, as opposed to another Nancy Grace.

Personally, I have no idea how the show could judge his choreography, given the partners he's had to work with, as you can only choreograph so much for partners who have limited potential for one reason or another.

All of this has been very interesting to read; thank you everyone. I remember her Olympics as well but didn't realize she had been through so much since then. I doubt I will watch the show this season as I know so few of the celebrities and I'm not a huge dance fan on its own merits, but I'm definitely pulling for these two.
    ilja likes this.

+ Reply to Thread