+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Kellie Pickler & Derek Hough - Season 16

FORT Fogey

Re: Kellie Pickler & Derek Hough - Season 16

I am sorry that Len has let his resentment with Derek build up until it reached the boiling point that it did last night. In my opinion, Len should have addressed his issues with Derek long before now, perhaps last season when Derek deliberately and provocatively chose to break the rules and was shown in rehearsals discussing with his partner whether they should do it. Instead of chastising Derek at that point with his grievances, Len laughed with the other judges, and because Derek's choreography was as it often is so breath-taking, went along with the other two and merely docked Derek a half point (.5). If Len had addressed Derek earlier, we would not have seen Len make such a spectacle of himself. As it was, Len punished Derek last night for what in Len's mind is all of Derek's past grievances.

Last night's trio choreography with Tristan - like many others before - was brilliant in its creativity and concept. Derek took the first dance the VW which was beautiful, haunting, and almost pure in form with Kellie dressed in white and segued seamlessly through the mirror into the dark, turbulent, powerful second trio dance with all three dressed in black.

True to his typical practice, if Len did not want for his own reasons for that routine to have a perfect 30, he could have given it a 9; however, a fair, just Len would have NEVER given that routine a 7 which it in no way deserved.

BTW, for the record, I have been one of the first ones to always commend Derek for his choreographic skills but to say that he is completely untested as a teacher because he has never been given what is unkindly but commonly called on the board "a clunker." Derek has never been "my pet", but fair is fair to me , and that wasn't it last night.
    NCLurker and Photobabe like this.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Derek is so clever. I hope he drops this show and does something else, I only tune into see his choreography -. everyone else pails in comparison.
    BerryCrazy likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I agree that Derek is good, but he's not head and shoulders above everyone else. He has not made it in films as he sister has, and he has never had a celebrity who was even a little bit of a challenge. That is not a coincidence. I do like that he doesn't try to take the stage away from his celebrity, but his routines always look as if he's auditioning for a film or a Broadway show. He clearly knows his ballroom technique perfectly, but chooses not to use it except as a teaching tool.

Len did go too far last night, but so did Carrie Ann who does nothing but show her lack of knowledge. None of it was Kellie['s fault, but I think Len was right to call Derek out on what he does. He'd be a great choreographer for So You Think You Can Dance, but he's broken the rules of DWTS for years without consequence.
    EnglishCadbury likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I agree that Derek is good, but he's not head and shoulders above everyone else. He has not made it in films as he sister has, and he has never had a celebrity who was even a little bit of a challenge. That is not a coincidence. I do like that he doesn't try to take the stage away from his celebrity, but his routines always look as if he's auditioning for a film or a Broadway show. He clearly knows his ballroom technique perfectly, but chooses not to use it except as a teaching tool.

Len did go too far last night, but so did Carrie Ann who does nothing but show her lack of knowledge. None of it was Kellie['s fault, but I think Len was right to call Derek out on what he does. He'd be a great choreographer for So You Think You Can Dance, but he's broken the rules of DWTS for years without consequence.
    THIS! One thing is for certain, there are pros who teach Ballroom technique so that the celebrity will remember it. Then there are others who use the celebrity as a conduit for a production number. That celebrity will never be able to use that in any sort of social context. So if the exercise is to teach Ballroom dancing, I'd be curious to know if LilKim can jive.

I know a number of fans that would never watch if he wasn't on, kinda like Maks and his fans. I know what I love about him, he leaves -I leave. No biggie? the numbers will be down even more than they are now.

I wish he would do something on SYTYCD, he is wasted on this show. I disagree, I think he is miles ahead of other pros on this show. We all have our faves.
    PA Snow Bunny and Photobabe like this.
    -Andy Rooney-

Derek and Kellie..still my favorite couple this season. Kellie really dances with a lot of grace and finesse. I wasn't sure at the start of the season how she would do, but she has really impressed me. A lot.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    Derek and Kellie..still my favorite couple this season. Kellie really dances with a lot of grace and finesse. I wasn't sure at the start of the season how she would do, but she has really impressed me. A lot.
    I wasn't sure either. I think she is wonderfully graceful. Like Zendaya, she also has a very sweet nature.
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Derek's most recent dance was dazzling.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    Derek's most recent dance was dazzling.
    We just watched it, there is link to it on DWTS facebook page

I also read some of Kellie tweets , she is a sweet gal
    -Andy Rooney-

I was thrilled with Kellie and Derek last night. They were so far above the other contestants, IMO. Perhaps I'm biased in her favor, but I that's how I saw it. It will be heartbreaking if she is doesn't go all the way.
    Need40winks and BerryCrazy like this.

+ Reply to Thread