+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Wynonna Judd & Tony Dovolani - Season 16

FORT Fogey

Re: Wynonna Judd & Tony Dovolani - Season 16

As Arielflies pointed out, we don't know if he is or isn't going through limbering up exercises with her. I would have trouble believing that Tony is incapable of assessing the situation and her movement issues, and that he isn't coming up with ways to help her improve. You can show someone something a million times, talk to them about the necessity of it a million times, but you can't make them do it! As I said before, she just seems either incapable of dance movements or for whatever reason just isn't trying very hard. Kirstie Alley was also a big woman, and you could see how much she tried and sweated at every rehearsal to get the movements right. Kirstie didn't seem a diva, but Wynonna does. I know Tony said she gives it her all at rehearsals, but he's a gentleman, and what he really might have been saying was that her "all" is exactly what we see and all she is willing to do. Kirstie had Maks, and Maks don't take no sh** from nobody!
    Florimel and Cluttermaker like this.

FORT Fan

We can see that she is not limber. We can ask why that is. We can ask why Tony is not helping her at least move her head from side to side or her waist. It's not being done because she does not move any of the joints in her body. Even standing still she moves nothing but her lips.

Anyone who has taken a beginning dance class knows that the first thing that is done is to get the students moving their joints.

BTW even people with arthritis are often helped to move their joints, encouraged to do so because there is less pain and much less chance of their joints freezing up. (But ask your doctor before you try that at home if you have arthritis)

Tony's the pro and the teacher. Whatever his 'star' does or doesn't do is on him. She doesn't move anything, not even her head. If she's refusing to do so he should let that be known because the way it stands now his reputation is getting tarnished bigtime with her lack of movement under his tutelage.

*cough* Kate *cough*
    GabbyG likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    *cough* Kate *cough*
    I understand and I agree.

He got a lot of flak for how nice he was to her, much too nice and not enough teacher by a bunch. If he wants to be known as a teacher (which he does because he owns a dance studio) then he has to act like one and his students have to show it.

FORT Fogey

I saw The Judds in concert once about a hundred years ago when they were just starting out. The impression I was left with that night was that Wynonna was the 'voice' and Naomi was the 'show'. Naomi dressed like a Saturday Night Live version of a country cliche and danced around Wy while they sang. Wynonna didn't do much moving then either. The only reason I mention this is that I remember reading something way back then about Wynonna suffering from near-crippling stage fright. I remember at the time wondering then why the heck is she in this business? Talk about exorcising your demons in public! Maybe that's part of why she looks better in rehearsals than on stage now. Even though she must be used to being on stage now, she's not used to dancing on stage. And who knows, maybe Wynonna is getting more out of this than we can see. I hope so.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx View Post
    I saw The Judds in concert once about a hundred years ago when they were just starting out. The impression I was left with that night was that Wynonna was the 'voice' and Naomi was the 'show'. Naomi dressed like a Saturday Night Live version of a country cliche and danced around Wy while they sang. Wynonna didn't do much moving then either. The only reason I mention this is that I remember reading something way back then about Wynonna suffering from near-crippling stage fright. I remember at the time wondering then why the heck is she in this business? Talk about exorcising your demons in public! Maybe that's part of why she looks better in rehearsals than on stage now. Even though she must be used to being on stage now, she's not used to dancing on stage. And who knows, maybe Wynonna is getting more out of this than we can see. I hope so.
    I hope she is too. Because just looking at her and how little she actually moves and at how badly she responds to the judges it doesn't seem like she's getting anything out of it at all.

BTW it does not seem unfair for viewers to expect to see dancing on a dancing show. If she does not want to dance then she does not belong on the show.

FORT Fogey

Oh, I would say she doesn't want to dance. She probably does, and she probably thinks she is dancing, she just sucks at it. I doubt she'll be around to torment viewers much longer. But there are a couple others that are equally bad with probably less fan base.

As far as expecting to see dancing on a dancing show, I couldn't agree more. I spend most of every season complaining about the showboating and stunts we viewers are treated to in lieu of dancing. No bueno.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx View Post
    Second verse, same as the first . . .

And as far as crippling stage fright goes, another case in point would be Barbra Streisand. Yet another would be Carly Simon.

It's why they never toured extensively --- or at all --- in their careers.

So, should we question their talent as singers and burn them at the stake for having stage fright and therefore not touring much, or at all?

Or, seeing as how they've STILL managed to make a pretty good living with their cases of stage fright present and accounted for, just let it go and applaud them for what they've done in their careers thus far? And may very well CONTINUE to do?

At least Wynonna is trying.

OK, so she's not getting very far, but she's trying.
    Alexxxx likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fan

Ness: I'm not sure she is trying. I think she thought she wanted to do it but now it is proving too much for her. And i think she's jsut ready to go. IMO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Nebula View Post
    Ness: I'm not sure she is trying. I think she thought she wanted to do it but now it is proving too much for her. And i think she's jsut ready to go. IMO of course.
    That's the good thing about this board . . .

Everybody here has opinions, and they're entitled to 'em.

And so be it.

All I can do is go by what my eyes tell me when I look at MY TV screen.
    Last edited by ness; 04-02-2013 at 06:43 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread