+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast
Like Tree274Likes

Thread: Zendaya Coleman & Val Chmerkovskiy - Season 16

Re: Zendaya Coleman & Val Chmerkovskiy - Season 16

Yes, she's an actor who is paid to learn choreography, like a lot of singers and actors like Joey McIntyre, Joey Fatone, Lance Bass, etc. She is not at the same level as a Mya or Nicole or Sabrina who have all choreographed and have the credentials in dance to do so.
    Florimel, KrazeeKy07 and nanarama like this.

Rather excited to see this Hip Hop after Zendaya tweeted this

https://twitter.com/Zendaya/status/332708711623700480

FORT Fogey

The show is called Dancing with the Stars not Ballroom Dancing with the Stars. Not to be too exact with details, but to me this allows them to include other forms of dance, including the ones that I don't traditionally even think of as dancing such as spinnning around on the top of one's head.

Whatever.....which is a word I am not particularly crazy about most of the time either but fits rather well here in this discussion.

Change is something that usually doesn't go down easily or well in human nature, and we are experiencing that with DWTS. Many don't like the introduction of all of the different forms of dance into the show. I like most of them - I am not overly crazy about all of them, but I have enjoyed most of them.

I could do without vulgar dancing regardless of the name that is attached to it.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    The show is called Dancing with the Stars not Ballroom Dancing with the Stars. Not to be too exact with details, but to me this allows them to include other forms of dance, including the ones that I don't traditionally even think of as dancing such as spinnning around on the top of one's head.

Whatever.....which is a word I am not particularly crazy about most of the time either but fits rather well here in this discussion.

Change is something that usually doesn't go down easily or well in human nature, and we are experiencing that with DWTS. Many don't like the introduction of all of the different forms of dance into the show. I like most of them - I am not overly crazy about all of them, but I have enjoyed most of them.

I could do without vulgar dancing regardless of the name that is attached to it.

I don't disagree, I think a show that was originally Ballroom dancing can and does branch out to invite other styles on to the show. Argentine Tango and Salsa for instance, not Ballroom. However, Ballroom dancers can and do make these styles look great because they have some similiarities.

Then the further afield styles like Contemporary or Jazz I am all for it. But to recognize surely, that a foundation in Ballet, not Ballroom is going to be enormously appealing to Contemporary or Jazz dancers.

As long as the show doesn't water down Ballroom so much it becomes unrecognizable to Ballroom dancers, and with some choreographers continually breaking the rules for dramatic effect, that doesn't prove that the student has learned ballroom.

I think it's also important to congratulate the pros on what they do best, and that's Ballroom dancing. If they want to get to production level in other styles, then I think it would be smart to bring in a pro in Contemporary or a pro in Jazz etc, to assist the Ballroom pro. Some of the pros have backgrounds in other styles, others, like Tristan MacManus have concentrated their craft in Ballroom and Latin. Tristan pointed this out on the Afterbuzz TV show, and I think the point is a good one. These pros are experts in their style, not necessarily other styles. Experts in other styles should be given the opportunity to at least help the pro. They have done this for finale shows, but maybe this should be a on-going part of the show. And I am all for dancers getting work.
    Florimel likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    I don't disagree, I think a show that was originally Ballroom dancing can and does branch out to invite other styles on to the show. Argentine Tango and Salsa for instance, not Ballroom. However, Ballroom dancers can and do make these styles look great because they have some similiarities.

Then the further afield styles like Contemporary or Jazz I am all for it. But to recognize surely, that a foundation in Ballet, not Ballroom is going to be enormously appealing to Contemporary or Jazz dancers.

As long as the show doesn't water down Ballroom so much it becomes unrecognizable to Ballroom dancers, and with some choreographers continually breaking the rules for dramatic effect, that doesn't prove that the student has learned ballroom.

I think it's also important to congratulate the pros on what they do best, and that's Ballroom dancing. If they want to get to production level in other styles, then I think it would be smart to bring in a pro in Contemporary or a pro in Jazz etc, to assist the Ballroom pro. Some of the pros have backgrounds in other styles, others, like Tristan MacManus have concentrated their craft in Ballroom and Latin. Tristan pointed this out on the Afterbuzz TV show, and I think the point is a good one. These pros are experts in their style, not necessarily other styles. Experts in other styles should be given the opportunity to at least help the pro. They have done this for finale shows, but maybe this should be a on-going part of the show. And I am all for dancers getting work.
    It's really not a big thing at all, you see, but one of the things that I enjoy and get just a little bit of extra excitement from is watching to see how the pros are going to handle and execute a dance/choreography that is completey new to them - a dance they have never done in their lives. In fact, I can imagine they are scrambling around on google or youtube trying to find pros in that field that they can watch, or maybe they are making calls to find experts that they can hurriedly engage to teach them so that they can teach their contestants.
    How good do they come off on these never previously attempted dances? Usually, pro dancers that they are, they look like the new dance has been in their repertoire all along!
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    It's really not a big thing at all, you see, but one of the things that I enjoy and get just a little bit of extra excitement from is watching to see how the pros are going to handle and execute a dance/choreography that is completey new to them - a dance they have never done in their lives. In fact, I can imagine they are scrambling around on google or youtube trying to find pros in that field that they can watch, or maybe they are making calls to find experts that they can hurriedly engage to teach them so that they can teach their contestants.
    How good do they come off on these never previously attempted dances? Usually, pro dancers that they are, they look like the new dance has been in their repertoire all along!
    Well here's what I think is Tristan's thought process.. some of the pros have also been trained in modern dance, and one of the pros, Derek has had dance formation training. So, I think what Tristan is alluding to is if all of the ballroom dancers had the opportunity to learn from pros in specific genres, then they too would be on a more level playing field. Cheryl Burke went to Argentina to train Argentine Tango, but it was on her own at the invitation of Louis Brava. DWTS has a big budget, they could spring for Pro training, especially if they want the pros to be inventive
    Florimel likes this.

FORT Newbie

Well here's what I think is Tristan's thought process.. some of the pros have also been trained in modern dance, and one of the pros, Derek has had dance formation training. So, I think what Tristan is alluding to is if all of the ballroom dancers had the opportunity to learn from pros in specific genres, then they too would be on a more level playing field. Cheryl Burke went to Argentina to train Argentine Tango, but it was on her own at the invitation of Louis Brava. DWTS has a big budget, they could spring for Pro training, especially if they want the pros to be inventive
    I believe that many couples actually do seek outside experts for this challenge. The difficulty in replicating the steps as demonstrated, having to develop the intrinsic character for the new genre and incorporating this creative, audience pleasing choreography is where some couples fail though.

Apparently there were some hip hop artists spotted at the studio today, so perhaps they are in to assist.

FORT Newbie

Apparently there were some hip hop artists spotted at the studio today, so perhaps they are in to assist.
    I believe one of those people was Deborah Sims-Baptiste, the choreographer and director of Zen's first little music video, and her daughter, one of 2 teens, friends who danced in Z's video. So I think they at least ARE calling in the experts.

Quote Originally Posted by renzii View Post
    I believe one of those people was Deborah Sims-Baptiste, the choreographer and director of Zen's first little music video, and her daughter, one of 2 teens, friends who danced in Z's video. So I think they at least ARE calling in the experts.
    They may also be there because Zendaya was holding auditions for dancers for upcoming projects, a tour, music video in the future so there was a video of Zendaya attending it, were young girls lining up to be auditioned. Apparently there was no dance experience required so possibly someone like this choreographer would be at the audition to spot talent.

+ Reply to Thread