+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: *Dancing with the Stars Season 16 (Spoilers & Speculation)*

Re: *Dancing with the Stars Season 16 (Spoilers & Speculation)*

I think they should invite Julianne Hough and Ryan Seacrest on as guests to dance on one of the results nights.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

So DWTS seems to officially trying to become SYTYCD 2.0. Not only is contemporary a dance style for week 1, but jazz is also a dance style being introduced this season. I guess it beats 'caveman hustle', but still, what's wrong with ballroom? Are they that desperate to make Carrie Ann look like she actually knows what she's talking about? Or are that they delusional thinking that they'll crack the beloved 18-49 demo? I'm in that demo, and I hate it.

Week 1 Dances:

Contemporary: Ingo/Kym, Zendaya/Val, Dorothy/Tristan
    Cha Cha: Jacoby/Karina, Wynonna/Tony, Kellie/Derek, D.L./Cheryl
    Foxtrot: Andy/Sharna, Sean/Peta, Lisa/Gleb

Unknown is Aly/Mark and Victor/Linsey. Since there's already 4 doing cha cha, I'd guess one has contemporary and the other foxtrot.

The troupe also has added some new members: Oksana (the original who has yet to be promoted), Emma, Sasha, and Henry are back, as well as another SYTCD alum, Witney Carson, and a new guy Julz Tocker.

I feel like this will literally be the season of the overdance, between the troupe, Mark (and I heard Witney and Lindsey were girls he trained in dance-no thanks to anymore Ballas clones). Of course there's probably some celebs who will ham it up, and who knows with the other new pros.
    Florimel likes this.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    So DWTS seems to officially trying to become SYTYCD 2.0. Not only is contemporary a dance style for week 1, but jazz is also a dance style being introduced this season. I guess it beats 'caveman hustle', but still, what's wrong with ballroom? Are they that desperate to make Carrie Ann look like she actually knows what she's talking about? Or are that they delusional thinking that they'll crack the beloved 18-49 demo? I'm in that demo, and I hate it.

Week 1 Dances:

Contemporary: Ingo/Kym, Zendaya/Val, Dorothy/Tristan
    Cha Cha: Jacoby/Karina, Wynonna/Tony, Kellie/Derek, D.L./Cheryl
    Foxtrot: Andy/Sharna, Sean/Peta, Lisa/Gleb

Unknown is Aly/Mark and Victor/Linsey. Since there's already 4 doing cha cha, I'd guess one has contemporary and the other foxtrot.

The troupe also has added some new members: Oksana (the original who has yet to be promoted), Emma, Sasha, and Henry are back, as well as another SYTCD alum, Witney Carson, and a new guy Julz Tocker.

I feel like this will literally be the season of the overdance, between the troupe, Mark (and I heard Witney and Lindsey were girls he trained in dance-no thanks to anymore Ballas clones). Of course there's probably some celebs who will ham it up, and who knows with the other new pros.
    Actually Aly and Mark are doing Cha Cha

I'm going to defend the inclusion of Contemporary and Jazz because if we were to watch an actual Ballroom competition at the novice level people would not be entertained. The celebrities do a "nod" to proper Ballroom and Latin with their celebrities, but to be honest this is an exercise in memorizing snappy choreography, none of the celebrities could dance Ballroom and Latin when they finish the show. I think the inclusion of Contemporary and Jazz is to broaden the arsenal of pros on the show, and give more professional dance exposure to the public. Broadway and live theatre use dancers trained in Contemporary and Jazz. A show like Burn The Floor has its grounding in Ballroom, but their dances include show elements of contemporary and jazz dancing.
    ilja likes this.

Isn't Whitney Carson the other half (Lindsey) of the dynamic duo from Utah? On SYTYCD she went all the way to either 4th or 3rd - plus she is the cuter of the two.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Isn't Whitney Carson the other half (Lindsey) of the dynamic duo from Utah? On SYTYCD she went all the way to either 4th or 3rd - plus she is the cuter of the two.
    Elsewhere online, people seem surprised Whitney wasn't made a pro and that Lindsey was delegated to troupe status. I'm still surprised they haven't promoted Oksana, Sasha, or Henry, but I bet that's coming next season. I miss the one guy, Sonny. I usually barely paid half attention to the troupe, but her caught my eye. I really liked him.

I can understand the whole argument about it not being an actual ballroom competition, and introducing various dance styles because the business of TV comes first-but that's exactly why I don't like it. TPTB are just trying to make the show feel young and cool, but it hasn't worked before. And some of these styles are ones that pros aren't familiar with, so it's a learning experience for them. I don't want the pros to have to be learning a style and teaching their pro. The judges don't know what they're talking about, nor do they really judge, so I don't care whether they know the basics of the style or not. I'm just betting at least one couple gets away with anything when it comes to either the contemporary or jazz, and another gets underscored terribly but were at least trying.
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by alex2155 View Post
    Actually Aly and Mark are doing Cha Cha
    Yes, I read that. Aly is having a hard time with heels. I am looking forward to seeing her
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fan

Sean is now being included in the DWTS ads. I saw one yesterday in which he threw a rose towards the camera. I guess this is supposed to help people know who he is.

Good, because not everyone watches the show .Although I don't know half the people that are dancing this season anyway
    judkay likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post

I can understand the whole argument about it not being an actual ballroom competition, and introducing various dance styles because the business of TV comes first-but that's exactly why I don't like it. TPTB are just trying to make the show feel young and cool, but it hasn't worked before. And some of these styles are ones that pros aren't familiar with, so it's a learning experience for them. I don't want the pros to have to be learning a style and teaching their pro. The judges don't know what they're talking about, nor do they really judge, so I don't care whether they know the basics of the style or not. I'm just betting at least one couple gets away with anything when it comes to either the contemporary or jazz, and another gets underscored terribly but were at least trying.

I'll agree to disagree. Argentine Tango is neither Ballroom or Latin, and AT purists cringe at this show because the ballroom trained pros are far too aggressive with this circular not marching style of dance. As seasons went on the pros have got better, and some, like Cheryl have gone to Buenos Aires to learn, but they all base the style in Ballroom a Totally different animal. I would say most of the pros have some sense of Jazz and Contemporary as evidenced by Lyrical Rumbas, and interesting show dances, and I welcome the opportunity to advance their skills and creativity
    ilja and Fanny Mare like this.

+ Reply to Thread