+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
Like Tree490Likes

Thread: 11/27 DWTS Finale Part 2 Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 11/27 DWTS Finale Part 2 Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

I have a slightly different take on Shawn & Derek's outlooks on the competition, and it's something that sort of falls in line with Kirstie's attitude toward being an "All-Star". For all the seriousness that Tom and ABC applied to the drama of returning champions fighting it out for bragging rights, when it comes down to it -- this really wasn't a regulation season of DWTS. It was a total stunt, and as such, I think more expectations were assumed on the stars to not only compete harder, but to create more water-cooler moments. And not just on the dance floor. As such, I think some stars realized that their job this season was more about being entertaining and memorable than it was about pleasing the judges.

Kirstie, one of the few real "stars" to have been on the show, understood this, and knew going in that she wouldn't come close to winning as long as the judges still showed up, so she and Maks became the comic relief. And Kelly, also an actual showbiz professional as opposed to an athlete, knew the value of playing up her alleged showmance with Val. And Melissa & Tony did what they do best -- played up being America's Sweethearts.

I think Derek knew this was his last season, and that it wasn't as important that he win it since it was a season with an asterisk next to it. And Shawn, while still an athlete and having that narrow-focus competitive mindset, also realized that her competitive sport days are behind her, and that she has to carve out a new career for herself. So maybe their goals were in sync, in that Derek felt freer to dance as he pleased, and Shawn was willing to be a part of some water-cooler moments, even if it meant not winning a tacky trophy that she already won anyway.

I'm not trying to take away anything from Melissa's win -- reality TV is her turf, and it meant the most to her. That's what a lot of fans responded to, because this need to win practically radiated from the screen whenever she was on it. I think Emmit saw the writing on the wall early on, and just did his best without killing himself. Apolo was saddled with a partner who wasn't a perfect fit. Drew, Joey and Helio were game, but they didn't come back in fighting form. Gilles and Sabrina were in fighting form, but they wanted the trophy a little too much and it showed. And Bristol was just there because they asked, and it took her mind off lawsuits and cancelled TV shows.

I had a good time watching this season, and I got to see some of Derek's best routines ever on his way out the door, so I'm satisfied. But I hope they don't do another All-Stars season for a long, long time.
    march, pikachu, ness and 3 others like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

I was with you MFWalker up to the last sentence! I really enjoyed the All Stars. It was fun watching good dancing and not cringing for people who have no business competing where there is no hope for them such as huge disparity in age, physical fitness, intelligence in some cases-lol. I was thrilled with the level of dancing and really happy that Melissa and Tony won. It was a great effort on both their parts. I find that Melissa has a great work ethic, is not a drama queen and it seems this is authentic because of the way Tony was so happy with her. We have seen him less than thrilled with partners or seeming like he really had to work at holding a professional attitude with some of the lame people he has been partnered with but none of that with Melissa. He genuinely appreciated her attitude. I give Melissa a lot of credit for holding her own in this arena in the mist of so much criticism for who knows what. I wish there were far more Melissas in the world than many of the other people I see on TV. She is a class act all the way. She had the most to gain by this win and I hope it will propel her into more opportunities for her and her family that are not associated with reality TV because I think she has proven herself a valuable asset to any company that might want to hire her.

I wish all of the people on the show well and I will especially miss Derek, I have always been a huge fan of his. I love watching him dance with pure joy. I appreciate those with a winning attitude, talent and enthusiasm and love for what they do. They aren't the ones that everyone will like on sight or think would be their best friend, but someone who has something special that will be admired, has a great inspiring freshness about them and that is a leader but also able to relate to other people. I find that in spades with Derek and his sister, too. I have no problem with any of the pros. As a cast they each bring something special and it works altogether in that context. I really enjoyed the show as a drama of personalities all working together to bring entertainment, that's all I was looking for and that's what I got and I'm thrilled that Tony finally got his win and that it was with Melissa. Till next season, stay healthy, happy and safe. T.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

I think the reason Melissa/Tony won is because of people like me who had never voted on DWTS and threw their support behind them and vote .....I believe that each week they gained more fans they were just refreshing to watch ....
    Tobi, Coco46, AZChristian and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I'm not trying to take away anything from Melissa's win -- reality TV is her turf, and it meant the most to her. That's what a lot of fans responded to, because this need to win practically radiated from the screen whenever she was on it.
    From the interviews I've seen, Melissa didn't think they would win - she was sure Shawn and Derek would take it. While she may have wanted to win, I don't think she was desperate for the win the way Sabrina and Gilles seemed to be. I think the other factor that really contributed to Melissa's win is the fact that Tony is so popular. I think a lot of fans who might not have loved Melissa were really pulling for Tony to finally win. We've all watched him toil through season after season with less than ideal partners, except for Melissa. While lots of people liked Shawn and Derek, I think fans wanted to see Tony finally rewarded. Hell, I think he should have won just for putting up with Kate Gosselin.

It was clear from the reaction of the other teams that Tony and Melissa were very well liked by their competitors.
    ness, nanarama, umngirl and 4 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I wouldn't mind them doing another All-Stars. However, I wouldn't want them to do it the way they did this one. I wish they would play it like a regular season, with the usual choice of dances, and not do the stupid Big Brother thing of introducing a myriad of pointless twists. I also think that if it's an all-star season, it should be ALL finalists. If they want to bring back fan favorites for a special season, call it that but don't say it's all-stars and then bring back someone who finished fifth in their season to compete with people who won their season.
    ness likes this.

I had a good time watching this season, and I got to see some of Derek's best routines ever on his way out the door, so I'm satisfied. But I hope they don't do another All-Stars season for a long, long time

I hope not .Good lord, it just showed how bad the dancing was in previous seasons

I loved Derek, and him coming in second is fine with me . Look who they beat out !!! Shawn seems fine, she said you only had to look at Melissa face, and it was right for her to win.

As for Melissa, my friend pointed out, she has never seen anyone appear on ET as much as she was during DWTS. They were really pushing this girl to be the likable one that had never won. I am glad she won, I just don't need to see her again.I still think she will be hosting somewhere on ABC.
    sunnydayz likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post

I hope not .Good lord, it just showed how bad the dancing was in previous seasons

I loved Derek, and him coming in second is fine with me . Look who they beat out !!! Shawn seems fine, she said you only had to look at Melissa face, and it was right for her to win.

As for Melissa, my friend pointed out, she has never seen anyone appear on ET as much as she was during DWTS. They were really pushing this girl to be the likable one that had never won. I am glad she won, I just don't need to see her again.I still think she will be hosting somewhere on ABC.
    Before Melissa starred in her own reality tv show, she was reporting/interviewing occasionally for one of the entertainment shows.
    However, I have noticed where some posters have stated that Melissa hasn't done anything publicly besides the stint as the Dallas Cheerleader or even the dismal Bachelor season which I am not at all convinced was not to a large degree generated by the producers. I think to assume that her exposure has been limited to those two events is a mistake.
    luvlady345, nanarama and jucamer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    Before Melissa starred in her own reality tv show, she was reporting/interviewing occasionally for one of the entertainment shows.
    However, I have noticed where some posters have stated that Melissa hasn't done anything publicly besides the stint as the Dallas Cheerleader or even the dismal Bachelor season which I am not at all convinced was not to a large degree generated by the producers. I think to assume that her exposure has been limited to those two events is a mistake.
    Someone did post she had her own reality show, not sure where or what it was about. I am wondering if Brooke is ever replaced, will it be with her?
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Melissa was up for consideration along with Brooke for the job when Samantha left. Brooke won the position.

After Season 8, ABC News took her on as a specialty reporter for GMA. She would go the odd places - amusement parks, cruise ships for those light hearted pieces after the half hour mark. Then she filled in with other ABC properties as a "reporter". Season 9 she also did backstage bits for DWTS, much like Carson did this year. And, don't forget that she and Joey Fatone were fan voted to perform a Paso Doble during a Season 10? results show. Then CMT network approached her and Tye with a reality series produced by Ryan Seacrest. It followed them in their move from Dallas to LA and back to Dallas with year old Ava in tow.

I apologize for hijacking the show thread with Melissa information.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I'm still a little fascinated by Derek's many statements after the competition that they didn't feel too bad because they did the very best they could and they knew they didn't leave anything on the floor. Typically when he says this Shawn nods in agreement but you can see in her face that she knows there was one major decision they made that could have made the difference.

If they had instead decided to do the same dance, but to fix the portions that didn't follow the rules, that would not only have increased the judge's scores but would also have increased fan support.

Of course we don't know if it would have made any difference. As I mentioned above, there are reasons to belive Shawn's built-in fan base was smaller than many expected.

+ Reply to Thread