+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
Like Tree490Likes

Thread: 11/27 DWTS Finale Part 2 Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 11/27 DWTS Finale Part 2 Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Just saw the three on The View. I grinned when Tony got in a plug for the dance studios, Dance With Me, he co-owns with Maks and Val. When he mentioned the name, a lady in the audience got a surprised look on her face and nodded. I wonder if she's been taking lessons at one of them.

They repeated the dances they performed on GMA this morning with Shawn/Derek doing a safe jive (no lifts) while Kelly/Val danced their Paso beautifully both times. Melissa/Tony danced the Samba with as much verve as on the show and with (according to Derek) an hour's sleep.

Tony's wife Lina and one of his daughters were in The View audience. He was able to sneak in the studio plug because he said Lina is taking lessons there (probably the one in Conn they opened this past year.) His daughter, who sat on his lap during some of the GMA interview, apparently likes Shawn because she takes gymnastics.

Kelly has wangled a cameo role for Val( though not dancing) on her soap. Shawn was in London for the Olympics to cheer on her sisters and was so pleased when they came to support her on the show.

That's all the gossip I can think of gleaned from both shows...except as The View ended, Sherri jumped into Val's arms and he carried her across the stage. She admitted to weighing 160+ pounds. I would guess she is not a size zero.

Oh, now Melissa has added the roof of her house to the lawn and her car hood for use in displaying her Mirror Ball.

Barbara asked why they do this for a trophy. They all stumbled around for an answer of sorts while saying it is not about the trophy.

Get some sleep guys.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Barbara was weird at the end. She didn't even watch the show ( except for last night) she doesn't think the trophy is enough, did she want them to tell her about the $$

Tony's daughter is adorable. Loved the jive Derk and Shawn did, very very fast .

Love me some Derek anytime ( sigh) hubby was home and said who are they? didn't know one 'star'
    Tobi likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by RickiRick View Post
    It really came down to the fan votes at the end since they were very close in judge's scores. The popular thinking was that Shawn had far more fans, but was that really true? If you look at this forum no one has commented on Shawn's thread for 3 weeks! In season 8 she was in her prime of fan support having just finished an olympics but this time the focus was "I didn't make the olympics so I'm going to win this!" Not only was her built-in fan base smaller this time around, but they (Derek & Shawn) did a few things that didn't help earn any new votes, like breaking the rules and acting like it didn't matter and going so heavy on the gynmastics. Inviting the fab 5 to the final was probably counter productive since it looked like ABC was pulling out all the stops to give Shawn the win. (Imagine if Melissa had invited some of her cowboy cheerleaders to join her final, or Kelly invited General Hospital stars to dance with her!)
    This is exactly how I felt. I love Shawn & she's a talented dancer, & I feel that Derek is by far the best & most creative choreographer. But I just got sick of them thumbing their noses at the rules & just not caring about it at all. Plus the gymnastic moves in their dances just got to be too much. The Fierce 5 just accentuated that.
    I stated in Monday's thread "Welcome to Gymnastics With the Stars!" That pretty much did it for me. They could have won me over with excellent dancing & they were both very capable of that.
    In the end I voted for the best DANCER. She & Tony played by the rules & danced beautifully & kept such a greatful humble attitude. That's why they won all my votes.
    combatcutie, Kip, ness and 5 others like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

So happy for Melissa and Tony! They did a great job this season.

I'm no math wizard but I think the reason Shawn and Derek didn't win is because the fan votes only counted for 50% of the winning score. I thought it was more than that! So, their judges' scores were too low to bring them to a win no matter how the fans voted. Am I right????

I think Kelly was the most improved dancer of them all! I give her a lot of credit for that.

This show will NEVER be the same without the talent of Derek Hough. He's unreal! (I still miss his sister....)

Really enjoyed this season!
    Tobi likes this.

This show will NEVER be the same without the talent of Derek Hough. He's unreal! (I still miss his sister....)
    I agree100%.I saw his sister( who I really miss) in the audience and she had her hair all chopped off,. she looked great! as usual
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    I'm no math wizard but I think the reason Shawn and Derek didn't win is because the fan votes only counted for 50% of the winning score. I thought it was more than that! So, their judges' scores were too low to bring them to a win no matter how the fans voted. Am I right????
    Actually that's not true. The formula is very complex. Here is ABC's explanation of how the math works from it's website:
    Each week every couple receives points from the judges and votes from the public. For every couple the show determines the share they received of the total points given by the judges on the night of the performances, and the share they received of the public's votes and add these two shares together. The couple with the lowest combined total is eliminated from the show.

For example if couples A, B and C respectively receive 38, 26 and 14 points from the judges, the show calculates what share these points represent of the total awarded by the judges on the night. In this example the judges gave 78 points in total, and each couples' share of 78 points breaks down as follows: A: 38 points = 48.72% of 78; B: 26 points = 33.33% of 78; C: 14 points = 17.95% of 78. Let's suppose that when the public votes are tallied, each couple has the following shares: A= 20%, B=40%, C=40%. To determine who's eliminated, these two shares are combined for the total:

Couple A: 20+48.72%= 68.72%
    Couple B: 40+33.33%= 73.33%
    Couple C: 40+17.95%= 57.95%

In this example, the bottom two couples would be A and C, and C would be eliminated.
    In reality the viewer's votes far outweigh the judges votes when the judges cluster all the couples within a few percent of each other.

Take for example the finale of this season:

The judges awarded 263 points as follows:

Kelly/Val score: 29.5+29.5+28.5= 87.5 judges points; Percentage of judges points = 87.5/263= 33.26%
    Shawn/Derek score: 27+30+30 = 87.0 judges points; Percentage of judges points = 87/263= 33.08%
    Melissa/Tony score: 30+30+28.5 = 88.5 judges points; Percentage of judges points = 88.5/263= 33.65%

They are all within 1% of each other. Whoever gets the most viewer votes wins. The judges made themselves irrelevant in terms of the math.
    Last edited by DancingDad; 11-28-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Really late, but I was absolutely ecstatic when they called out Melissa's and Tony's name!

I was smiling, well, then again, it's not that hard to smile when you see Tony smile!

Really loved the reaction of Maks and Val when they heard M/T being called the winners, it was so cute. And I like how they were the two to be carrying the winners.

Lols, I'm going to quote Tony on how I felt when they won:

"YEAH, BABY! YEAH!"

THANK YOU so much, DancingDad!!! You ARE a math wizard.... Appreciate your help.

FORT Fogey

I'm somewhat conflicted about this victory. Shawn and Derek are just too awesome, but...if it's ture that they deviate from the rules so much that they move outsite what is considered true ballroom dancing, then I guess I am on board with Tony and Melissa winning.

I respect the integrity of the "ballroom" dancing concept.

I have adored Tony from the beginning and I am so glad he has a victory under his belt!

Oh and I really enjoyed Kelly Monaco this season. She isn't very emotive, but man. If you saw her during her original season (season 1), you'd call her motor-mouth now. She really has grown and developed confidence. When she talks about the show being more than just dancing, I believe it.
    Last edited by Jexter; 11-28-2012 at 09:36 PM.
    GabbyG, Imperfect1 and jucamer like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    This is exactly how I felt. I love Shawn & she's a talented dancer, & I feel that Derek is by far the best & most creative choreographer. But I just got sick of them thumbing their noses at the rules & just not caring about it at all. Plus the gymnastic moves in their dances just got to be too much. The Fierce 5 just accentuated that.
    I stated in Monday's thread "Welcome to Gymnastics With the Stars!" That pretty much did it for me. They could have won me over with excellent dancing & they were both very capable of that.
    In the end I voted for the best DANCER. She & Tony played by the rules & danced beautifully & kept such a greatful humble attitude. That's why they won all my votes.
    We heard Shawn say that she had "played" by the rules in all her gymnastic competitions. Failure to do so, of course, would have meant an automatic failure to succeed. We also heard Shawn clearly say she was NOT going to follow the rules that accompanied her quick step. Considering that she had previously been penalized for breaking the rules on that same routine, I have to draw the conclusion that regardless of what Shawn said, she didn't really want to win this competition with her whole heart. If she did, that competitive spirit would have kicked in, and there would have been no messing around with the rules which could have docked a score.

Both Shawn and Derek exhibited at times a reckless, slightly rebellious attitude which, granted, some people might find exciting. However, I think it was a turn-off for many viewers. I also noticed that when Brooke went to talk to Shawn and Derek for their last dance, the camera caught Derek sitting down resting, taking a break when they only had that one hour to put together their dance. When he saw the camera, he jumped up and got busy!
    Both Derek and Shawn ran hot and cold during this season.

Fabulous dancer and choreographer that he is, Derek came across this season as being entitled, and one who just does what he wants to. Unfortunately, I think he influenced Shawn who probably looked up to him and Mark. I think in a manner of speaking, Shawn wanted to play with the big boys, and she was willing to sacrifice some - in this case breaking the rules like they do - to be able to do it.

I think that Shawn and Derek did have more exciting routines than Tony and Melissa, but their attitudes - and yes all the gymnastics - caused me to pull for someone else to win.

+ Reply to Thread