+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: 10/30 DWTS Results Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 10/30 DWTS Results Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Funny how this is no longer a dance show
    It's never been a pure dance show - it's always been about entertainment. Anyone who wants to watch proper dancing with proper judging can watch one of the competitions they air on PBS. Personally I prefer entertainment.
    Kip, Jexter, Shoepie and 5 others like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    It's never been a pure dance show - it's always been about entertainment. Anyone who wants to watch proper dancing with proper judging can watch one of the competitions they air on PBS. Personally I prefer entertainment.
    Hm, well some have posted, that they watch this for the dancing. Each to their own I guess. The slapstick I can do without - its immature, much like the fake romance that Kelly has.
    MsDiva2007 and JohnnyK like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I prefer to watch the dancing. If I wanted a popularity contest I would go back to high school.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Hm, well some have posted, that they watch this for the dancing. Each to their own I guess. The slapstick I can do without - its immature, much like the fake romance that Kelly has.
    They may want to watch for the dancing, but the primary intent of the show is, and always has been, to entertain, so it's kind of counterproductive to complain that the "stars" are being entertaining rather than being professional quality dancers.
    Shoepie, AZChristian and Midol like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

They may want to watch for the dancing, but the primary intent of the show is, and always has been, to entertain, so it's kind of counterproductive to complain that the "stars" are being entertaining rather than being professional quality dancers.
    Being entertained is different for everyone, as I said up thread- slapstick doesn't work for me
    MsDiva2007 likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

So true. We all have our favorites and not all of them are the high scorers according to the judges. This week's eliminations were proof of that. The ones that had the highest judge's scores were the ones in jeopardy.

And, for the most part, the viewing public is an audience of dance-novices. I know what I like and what I *think* may be technically good dancing, but that doesn't mean I'm right - or even close. THe only thing the untrained viewer can do is go with what we like. Logically, then, the show is about taste and not skill.

The appeal of this show for me is to see people of wealth and means put themselves out there for the pure and simple challenge AND fun of it. Most of the time, there does come a point where it turns over to the best dancer but even then - not always. Emmitt Smith and Mario Lopez went neck and neck. I believe Mario was deemed the best dancer, but Emmitt had the most character and won (and I love Emmitt, but his final free style was horrible).

------------------

As to Kirstie and Max, I don't know if Kirstie would do this show if she didn't have a partner she connected to like she does with Max. She and Max have a great connection - not just emotionally/socially but physically and as dancers, too. Kirstie is a big girl. She needs a big partner to look good and do well. Max is a perfect fit for her - on all counts. Kirstie and Mark? Kirstie and Louie? Maybe they'd connect emotionally/socially, but not physically. I don't think she'd have gotten as far as she has without Max but only because they have an amazing connection.
    AZChristian, jucamer and Midol like this.

I don't necessarily share it, but I can definitely see Kirstie's appeal and demographic. And she does work hard, and seems to be enjoying herself, and I think that counts for a lot.

I have to admit that I haven't watched much DWTS in recent years because so many celebs were unfamiliar to me, and since it's really more entertainment than dance, that counts for a lot, I think. Hate to admit it but I'd never heard of Sabrina before this season.

BTW Rattus:

That was the judges criterion
    .... Love this word. And you so rarely see it used.

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    Hi Midol - it's like a war zone here but we faired better than Jersey - prayers for those folks. I'm so sorry - I'm assuming your kitty passed away and was her name Midol?
    Thanks jucamer. Yes, her name was Midol and I had to put her to sleep on Monday because she had a stroke. Fortunately, I have a nice vet who made a home visit and she passed away quietly. Watching the show kind of took my mind off of that....and the weather. We had a lot of rain and strong winds but nothing like you had to contend with. Hopefully, you and others have your power restored and things are getting cleaned up and back to normal.
    Tobi and jucamer like this.
    Alcohol does not solve problems but neither does milk...

The best exercise in the world is to bend down and help someone up.

There is not much entertaining being done on DWTS the last few years. It's agenda driven more than anything and its more than a little off putting!
    Tobi and Midol like this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    There is not much entertaining being done on DWTS the last few years. It's agenda driven more than anything and its more than a little off putting!
    Yes, a lot of my friends have given up - they believe the show knows who is going to go, and when. This person will make it to week a) this one week b) etc etc . It's so predictable , and the judges bickering with one another this season( fake bickering) is more than annoying. I don't know. I used to never want to miss this, now I don't care and often flip channels
    MsDiva2007 likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread