+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Like Tree308Likes

Thread: 10/9 DWTS Results Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 10/9 DWTS Results Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    How are the professional dancers supposed to teach their star a dance if they don't know it themselves? I really hate this stupid twist. If they're going to have to do a dance their pro isn't experienced in teaching, at least let them choose their own dance. That way the ones who do know Contemporary can do that with their star, the ones that know Hip Hop can do it, etc. Work it out ahead of time between the pros and the judges which dance each couple will do and then let the stars and the audience know the picks at the show.
    Its goofy and it isn't ballroom.I think they are doing this for Kirstie etc, who cant dance and are theatrical
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I know it would never happen, but I wish all the remaining contestants would get together and plan to protest en masse if one of them gets booted next week instead of Bristol. And if the judges gave her the scores she really deserves and critiqued her honestly, then it would be even more obvious that she doesn't belong there. The fact that she survived a double elimination of two former champions shows how phony this show is, and if the judges didn't want to look like fools, surely they would have enough power among the three of them to protest this farce. If she winds up in the top three of an AS show, I don't know how or why anyone would want to watch another season. I sure won't.

I am with you on this. I almost didn't watch again after the farce that was her first season, but at a certain point, you just have enough. I'm at that point.

The blatant favouratism of certain dancers, the silly scoring, the ringers thrown in...are all irritating, but nothing to the farce that is the Palin voting machine and the dumb producers who brought her back. I hope they are happy they destroyed a fun, silly, harmless show and their jobs in the process.
    Alcohol does not solve problems but neither does milk...

The best exercise in the world is to bend down and help someone up.

FORT Regular

Did anyone catch Kimmel? Drew was drunk, and Helio was sad. Anna heckled Kimmel, who dished it back in turn. No one knew what to say when Kimmel asked them all about Bristol.

Quote Originally Posted by Valancy View Post
    Did anyone catch Kimmel? Drew was drunk, and Helio was sad. Anna heckled Kimmel, who dished it back in turn. No one knew what to say when Kimmel asked them all about Bristol.
    I saw bits of it -- I liked how Anna & Chelsie were loose and funny. They heckled Drew & Helio because they were rookies to Kimmel since they've never been eliminated before, whereas Anna & Chelsie have been there countless times already.

And you're right, everyone clammed up when Jimmy brought up Bristol. They recited the lines they were instructed to say and left it at that. Bummer.

Wow, Anna's had a bad run of luck. The last time she was in the finals was Evan Lysacek/S10. Then she and Kurt Warner finished 5th, and it's been early dropouts ever since.
    karalott likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Their silence speaks better than words ever could. TPTB know how they feel, and everyone else. They aren't kidding anyone. They'll probably have to really prod the audience to boo when/if she's eliminated. Even before the season started, Tom and brooke had it written on their faces when they were asked about her.

I do feel more sorry for Anna than I do Drew. How I wish she could have gotten Gilles instead. And in contrast, if Cheryl makes the finals this season (which I strongly believe she will), it'll be her 3rd season in a row, her 7th season overall. She hasn't had an early exit since season 9 and Tom Delay. Anna's like the female equvilant of Tony; always gets the duds or early ousters. I'm sure the show didn't quite expect Drew to be out this early, but it happened, and I'd love to see her get a real contender next season. However, I know it won't happen. She and Drew were my biggest disappointment, partner wise. They just didn't click, and I didn't care much for Drew's attitude over the scoring tonight. His previous chemistry and energy wasn't there from season 2. Her reaction was priceless week 1 when they were almost eliminated. Drew seemed to really be trying to make up for that, but it wasn't enough. I am surprised by Helio's ouster, slip or not. I hope he gets to perform the Broadway routine in the finale.
    Midol likes this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Midol View Post
    [/B]
    I am with you on this. I almost didn't watch again after the farce that was her first season, but at a certain point, you just have enough. I'm at that point.

The blatant favouratism of certain dancers, the silly scoring, the ringers thrown in...are all irritating, but nothing to the farce that is the Palin voting machine and the dumb producers who brought her back. I hope they are happy they destroyed a fun, silly, harmless show and their jobs in the process.
    I have been very irritated for years by the favoritism and the voting machines for favored contestants on DWTS --- and now it has become so blatantly obvious that this show has finally "jumped the shark"!!! And interestingly, I think it took an "All Star" show to really demonstrate to the public how fixed the show is. When someone like Bristol Palin (politics and personality aside) can remain in the competition when much more accomplished dancers have been eliminated -- there is something very wrong. DWTS is no longer a 'competition' --- it's a popularity show, and perhaps they should just acknowledge that, and eliminate the bogus scoring and the "rules" all together. In that way, not only would the public's favorite dancers prevail, but INCREDIBLY TALENTED FABULOUS DANCES like Shawn Johnson's jitterbug performance, wouldn't be PENALIZED for being what was probably the best and most charming dance of this season, and perhaps (as all of the judges said) the best dance performance of all of the seasons.
    Florimel likes this.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Disgusting that two former winners got the boot while Bristol continues to clutter up television time (on an all-stars show, no less) that would have been better served by a real celebrity. What an insult to Helio and Drew.

I hope the stupid producers are happy with their dumb choice to bring Bristol back on a show she had no business being on to begin with. Can't wait until Bristol is one of the last ones standing and see how silly they feel then.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I think half the problem this season is that people had their favorites going in and that isn't likely to change. There are no 'unknowns' or 'little-knowns' like Kyle, JR, Gilles, and Helio, that come on your screen and light it up and you just fall in love with. We already know these people and most often people will vote for their favorites that they had coming into the competition. Helio's season was an earlier one and I think maybe viewership has dropped off since his season (and Drew's and Joey's) and I also think Julianne had a lot to do with the votes Helio got. I find him charasmatic and charming and I was sad to see him go. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a lot of new viewership so people still like who they liked from before. Back in the earlier seasons there were no Twitter campaigns and FB voting either. I don't blame Bristol for still being there, but I do blame the producers and the judges for not scoring her accordingly. Obviously her 'public' (or her Mom's public) is keeping her safe and the producers knew that would happen going in. They knew it would rattle cages and be watercooler talk and it has certainly worked as they planned. How much shorter would this 22 page thread be if there was no Bristol in the competition? That's what the producers wanted an that's what they got. There was no mistake in bringing her back. They knew exactly what they were doing.
    Imperfect1, Midol and Fanny Mare like this.

FORT Fogey

The problem with the show booking Bristol, assuming that it will mean more people will be talking about the show--even if that talking may be complaining--is that it really doesn't matter if people talk or post or whatever, unless they're Nielsen viewers. The antiquated Nielsen system is still what determines ratings, which in turn determine advertising prices and the willingness of advertisers to choose where to put their dollars. If enough Nielsen viewers happen not to like Bristol being there, it's going to hurt DWTS. If enough do like her, it will help DWTS.

And I agree about Anna. The only time she's had a genuine chance to win is with Evan, and unfortunately for them, it was the same season that Nicole S. was cast. Chelsie's in somewhat the same boat. If it hadn't been for Ty's popularity, she likely wouldn't have made it anywhere near a finals yet. There do seem to be pros who get multiple decent shots at winning and others who rarely, if ever, get a contender.
    Midol likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    How are the professional dancers supposed to teach their star a dance if they don't know it themselves? I really hate this stupid twist. If they're going to have to do a dance their pro isn't experienced in teaching, at least let them choose their own dance. That way the ones who do know Contemporary can do that with their star, the ones that know Hip Hop can do it, etc. Work it out ahead of time between the pros and the judges which dance each couple will do and then let the stars and the audience know the picks at the show.

I feel so bad for Drew but honestly, he hasn't been as good this season as he was in his original season. A lot of time has passed and he's gotten stiffer over the years. I take it he hasn't continued with dancing since leaving the show. I think some of the ones who are doing better either were on more recent seasons or they've kept up with some dancing since leaving the show.

I liked Helio ok but I thought he didn't show enough range. He was always doing the Guy Smiley thing with his face and the choreography of his dances was too much the same, where they all blurred into one. I wish he had shown more sides of his personality and done more to make each of his routines unique. Part of the fault for that was on whoever did his choreography but Helio himself could have added more to his performances with different facial expressions or something.

I wish Bristol had gone home but I'll keep hoping her time comes soon. I'll be spitting mad if Apolo comes home before she does!
    I think that's partly Helio's natural attitude, but it's also partially that he was only there three weeks and didn't have a lot of different types of dances to perform. It's not as if he got a waltz or rumba or paso or something that you might expect to have a more serious or romantic approach. And Helio's personality contributed a lot to his popularity and first win, so I can see why Chelsie felt she needed to highlight it. Trouble is, there are just so many past favorites this season that the voting is, I would imagine, split for many more people than it might otherwise be, except for those stars who have really strongly committed fan bases who will vote for them no matter who else danced well that week.

Unfortunately, I also think it's inevitable that Bristol is going to send home more favorites--whether it'll be Apolo or not, I have no idea--before going home herself unless the judges really start pulling out those lower numbered paddles. As long as they keep her within a few points of the higher ranked dancers, she's not going anywhere. This past week, for instance, she was only a point behind Helio on each judge's scorecard and only a half point behind Drew (I think that's right--if I've missed by a point or two, I apologize). That she can probably overcome based on viewers who are bloc voting for her, regardless of the reason.

I had a dream last night that Abby Lee Miller of Dance Moms was a guest judge, gave Bristol a low score, and got into a screaming match with Bristol's "dance mom." I doubt that's actually going to happen, however, and barring that, Bristol is going to be around for a while--which is why I groaned when she got one of the least well-defined dance styles instead of the Charleston, which would have likely been much more difficult for her. Having her get the last style left, which their system for determining the choices guaranteed, also made it pretty likely that she was going to get one of the styles the other dancers thought might be simplest to pull off anyway. I wish they'd just let people draw styles out of a hat. Or given everyone one of the same two or three unfamiliar dances with which to deal. Or skipped this gimmick altogether.

By the way, does anyone have any idea what "Broadway" would have meant, had Helio/Chelsie been able to dance it? Seems to me that Broadway dancing styles vary greatly depending on the show in question.

+ Reply to Thread