+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: DWTS All Stars Cast Announced

FORT Fogey

Re: DWTS All Stars Cast Announced

I'm jumping into the discussion late, but I completely agree that it doesn't seem fair that some people are getting their old partners back and others aren't. If someone's truly an all-star, shouldn't he/she be able to dance well with someone other than his/her original teacher? Besides, it would just be fun to see what people could do with someone new.

I also sort of wish they had limited the cast to people who hadn't won before. There have been plenty of popular contestants who didn't win, haven't there? It just doesn't seem necessary to give someone who already has a mirror ball trophy a second chance to win another one when others have come so close and not made it--or perhaps lost it due to reasons that didn't have all that much to do with their dancing.

Count me in as one who never saw why Sabrina's ousting was such a huge shocker either. Yes, she was talented, and yes, other who weren't as talented outlasted her that season. But what season hasn't that happened? I didn't see her as ultimately winning the thing anyway, and the fact that we've had to hear about it every season since has made me less and less impressed with her. I hope it doesn't come down to Disney fans vs. gymnastic tweens in the voting this time out. I'd really like to see someone win for his/her dancing, but I'm afraid it's going to come down to huge fan base issues this time around even more than it usually is--complicated, of course, by the fan bases for some of the pros as well.

There are a lot of people I could live with winning this year, but there are certainly those I'd be happier with winning than others. And there are definitely some I'd not be upset to see gone quickly too.
    jucamer likes this.

That's fascinating to hear about the "dirty votes" that were thrown out. Wow. I remember the rumor that Kym Kardashian hired a hacker, the show figured it out, and threw out her online votes and that's why she went home so soon her season. Just a rumor, but posted by someone with nothing to gain on a board in England (Digital Spy, I think.) At least, I couldn't see what they had to gain, but maybe she had an enemy out to smear her. But if so, why choose an obscure (to Americans) British board to do it on? And the poster who did it had a good reputation with no unusual posts before but did have some pretty good insider-type info of a non-controversial nature (because I took the time to go back and study their record.) So I believe it happened.

Anyway, I'm a Twopper and even an ABC board person, so I'm used to slamming people with gay abandon. I better learn better manners around here! And I'll start working on that today.

In the day, I loved Gilles. I was so happy he got that role with Sally Field that I forced myself to watch a few episodes, and I hate all fictional American television with the heat of 1000 suns. I even bought the Sex and the City movie, the first I'd ever seen of the movies or tv show, just to see "that scene." And it was well worth my $10 or whatever for the used copy from Amazon. Gave it to a girlfriend to spread the cheer

I always thought they'd have to figure out a way to do at least some re-pairing - like have a week when the old partnerships were reunited, but they'd have to do it quick, or many would be gone. I wonder if the "twist" on the trios has something to do with getting some of the old couples back together who didn't get their original pro partner, though he or she is still on the show.

And I agree, Tilden. I thought I could tell they were propping Sabrina, with that perfect score on what I thought was an ugly Paso - I think that was the dance. Ugh. Hideous dress. Kristin Cavallari was a far more shocking exit.
    Last edited by Elsa66; 09-18-2012 at 12:39 PM.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elsa66
    I unfollowed Maks and Val but they were talking about someone (and it got figured out it was Karina and Cheryl) paying money to get Twitter followers. Apparently it's a pretty common practice - you get "bots" or something - people sit around creating empty accounts and selling them by the hundred thousand for a couple hundred dollars, something like that. I'm sorry I'm being so vague - I've forgotten because it was weeks ago. This was so soon after the Hope book that I was just annoyed that Maks and Val seemed to think that was such a terrible thing, even IF true, well, I've said too much already and don't have the tweets to back it up.

And I don't know if they did buy followers - and of course, I don't know if what Hope said was reasonable either! But apparently, it makes you look more successful to have more followers and maybe you're more likely to be hired for shows or extra engagements - or maybe your studios would be more popular? (Cheryl recently closed two of her three dance studios - Karina has a studio in L.A. somewhere.) Oh I don't know - I shouldn't have brought it up.
    No, Elsa I'm glad you brought it up. Gives us something to discuss before the show starts.

I recall checking Twitter last season and Maks and Derek had the highest twitter followers, both were in the 100K + range with the rest following way behind. Some being in the 40-80K range. Now Cheryl and Karina have roughly 250,000+ more followers than last season. They have suddenly surpassed Maks and Derek by at least 100K. Mark also has way more than he had last season too. So I wouldn't be surprised if any of this is true. Seems though that all 5 may have participated in this "buying followers game" because Maks and Derek's numbers have increased exponentially as well.

Remember William Levy? Early on last season he had 400K+ followers which left me dumbfounded. He was a supposed unknown yet had that many followers? Now he has 700K. Hmmm.

Karina had Gavin DeGraw as a partner and surely he helped gain her new followers but not THAT many as she has 100K more than him now. Cheryl had Levy last season and a Kardashian the season before. I could see her gaining many, many new followers but again not THAT many.

Shenanigans! Even if no else finds this interesting, I do for some odd reason. I'm an odd bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Elsa66
    I even bought the Sex and the City movie, the first I'd ever seen of the movies or tv show, just to see "that scene." And it was well worth my $10 or whatever for the used copy from Amazon. Gave it to a girlfriend to spread the cheer
    Hahaha that's funny! You're a good friend, Elsa!
    Elsa66 and Elsa66 like this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I'm jumping into the discussion late, but I completely agree that it doesn't seem fair that some people are getting their old partners back and others aren't. If someone's truly an all-star, shouldn't he/she be able to dance well with someone other than his/her original teacher? Besides, it would just be fun to see what people could do with someone new.

I also sort of wish they had limited the cast to people who hadn't won before. There have been plenty of popular contestants who didn't win, haven't there? It just doesn't seem necessary to give someone who already has a mirror ball trophy a second chance to win another one when others have come so close and not made it--or perhaps lost it due to reasons that didn't have all that much to do with their dancing.

Count me in as one who never saw why Sabrina's ousting was such a huge shocker either. Yes, she was talented, and yes, other who weren't as talented outlasted her that season. But what season hasn't that happened? I didn't see her as ultimately winning the thing anyway, and the fact that we've had to hear about it every season since has made me less and less impressed with her. I hope it doesn't come down to Disney fans vs. gymnastic tweens in the voting this time out. I'd really like to see someone win for his/her dancing, but I'm afraid it's going to come down to huge fan base issues this time around even more than it usually is--complicated, of course, by the fan bases for some of the pros as well.

There are a lot of people I could live with winning this year, but there are certainly those I'd be happier with winning than others. And there are definitely some I'd not be upset to see gone quickly too.
    Sabrina and Bristol are in to stir up a little talk and controversy - which they have done. Now, the producers could have really thrown the cat in with the pigeons and invited Kate back....

I'm fascinated by the follower-buying schemes, as well, JunkieGirl, and thanks for the encouragement as I'm like a deer learning how to walk on this board, but I love it and will keep trying to learn the Zeitgeist and go along as well as I can. I never would have known about the follower-buying if I hadn't been following Maks and Val on Twitter when they were discussing this. My goodness. I'm just assuming it's to try to look more popular so you get asked to do more appearances between seasons - or more will want to go to YOUR studio for lessons instead of those unpopular others? Honestly I can't think of another reason. Those fake followers certainly aren't going to vote for you, lol.

Maybe if some people see that you have huge numbers of followers, they'll just accept that you're the most popular and "best" and like you better and be more likely to vote for you on DWTS? It's just crazy on Twitter, with the couple accounts - ChelioFans - Shawnough - whatever they're all called. I guess just any fan can set up an account for a couple and start begging for followers. Maybe they should buy some followers instead of begging, if that's the whole point of Twitter, having the most. It blows my mind really, how fandom has evolved with social media. Maybe it's been that way all along and I'm new to Twitter, but I'm guessing maybe this season is seeing an explosion of Twitter-mania?
    Last edited by Elsa66; 09-19-2012 at 03:55 PM.

As someone who maybe visits twitter once every few months to check new show or film information, it makes no difference to me how many followers anyone has and it disappoints me that anyone would buy followers.

JunkieGirl, I'm pretty sure that William Levy had a lot of followers from his Spanish language tv series. I know he's done several telenovelas.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

All of the first rehearsal videos: 'Dancing With The Stars: All-Stars': First Rehearsals (EXCLUSIVE VIDEO)

ETA: Now that I've watched all of the videos, I think the stars who are at the top, at least ability-wise are Gilles, Apollo, Melissa, Sean and Sabrina. It looks like Bristol is a brand new contestant and Mark is having to teach her all over again. A little bit of that with Kirstie too, although Maks looks SO happy in the video clip. I hope they last a little while because I love seeing him have fun.

For as long ago as her season was, Kelly looks pretty good and she and Val look really hot together. I was surprised at how uncoordinated Helio looked. I always thought he won because of Julianne's popularity, but he looks like he's learning everything all over again.
    Last edited by Critical; 09-22-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    karalott likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Thank you for the first look video. I agree with your assessment. Sabrina should join the pro ranks she looks so polished. I enjoyed the banter, and from that know it will be an enjoyable season.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Really good clips, different than the ones I had seen before. Thanks Critical

Apolo looks like he never left DWTS! man he's good. I thought Shawn looked good, as did Gilles, Melissa and Shawn.. It's going to be tough, with more pressure on the formers winners I think.Louis looks very happy!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

*Sigh* I guess my hope of getting rid of Sabrina early isn't going to happen. Oh well, one less couple to worry about watching each week. She was already in the ringer category before, so not surprised she's even better than season 5. At least Louis got her.

Not surprised about Bristol. I guess I might have assumed some of the not-so-good celebs would have taken lessons before coming back on, but maybe they figure their fanbase will save them, and let them clomp their way to the finals. Since the Palin's don't seem to be the darlings they were back when she was first on the show, I wonder if Bristol will have the fanbase. Hopefully not. That's Kate Gosselin level bad.
    Florimel and jucamer like this.

+ Reply to Thread