+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 219
Like Tree370Likes

Thread: 5/8 DWTS 14 : Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

  1. #201
    signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,557

    Re: 5/8 DWTS 14 : Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

    I love Katherine. She exhibits grace and elegance. Her dancing is beautiful and refined, and reminds me of ballet. Her personality may seem a bit cold to Americans, but it is not unusual for the British to be more reserved in their emotions. I personally like that about the British (I married one).
    J.D. and DancingDad like this.

  2. #202
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: 5/8 DWTS 14 : Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    If Maria and Katherine are the final 2, they better get out of the way, because they'll be a mad dash from their pros over the trophy. I kind of wish they'd stop the hoisting on the shoulders, no matter who it is. Even though the season is over, with the way injuries happen, why take any risks?
    I agree; however last year when JR AND Karina were hoisted on shoulders after their win, I was glad. Finally someone had it right (well at least Derek - he made sure Karina got hoisted up, at least I think).

    Personally I want to see Donald win because a. he's a very good dancer and b. I'd like Peta - who hasn't won a trophy yet (at least that I know of) win. If it's all three of the "mirrorball trophy repeat winners" club - I'd have to say I'd rather Derek and Maria win because he makes sure that Maria is the focus, not him, and most of his dances have been entertaining. I cannot say the same for Cheryl (as I feel they're advancing because William is drop dead gorgeous and a bit mysterious) or Mark (which I've ranted on - though I do adore Katherine for going out there and performing in spite of not really being well-known outside the UK). I wouldn't mind a Mark win for Katherine's sake; but it'd make me mad in a way because it would validate Mark's actions and antics.

    Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    I love Katherine. She exhibits grace and elegance. Her dancing is beautiful and refined, and reminds me of ballet. Her personality may seem a bit cold to Americans, but it is not unusual for the British to be more reserved in their emotions. I personally like that about the British (I married one).
    I've never felt that she was cold - polite yes, but not cold. Then again - seeing her in that "DW" episode with her being a warm hearted character overall helps out.
    karalott likes this.

  3. #203
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,597

    Re: 5/8 DWTS 14 : Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I agree; however last year when JR AND Karina were hoisted on shoulders after their win, I was glad. Finally someone had it right (well at least Derek - he made sure Karina got hoisted up, at least I think).

    Personally I want to see Donald win because a. he's a very good dancer and b. I'd like Peta - who hasn't won a trophy yet (at least that I know of) win. If it's all three of the "mirrorball trophy repeat winners" club - I'd have to say I'd rather Derek and Maria win because he makes sure that Maria is the focus, not him, and most of his dances have been entertaining. I cannot say the same for Cheryl (as I feel they're advancing because William is drop dead gorgeous and a bit mysterious) or Mark (which I've ranted on - though I do adore Katherine for going out there and performing in spite of not really being well-known outside the UK). I wouldn't mind a Mark win for Katherine's sake; but it'd make me mad in a way because it would validate Mark's actions and antics.



    I've never felt that she was cold - polite yes, but not cold. Then again - seeing her in that "DW" episode with her being a warm hearted character overall helps out.
    The funniest scene I can recall with the hoisting on the shoulders and the snatching the mirrorball away was season 10, when Nicole was announced as the winner, and Mark had Derek plus the trophy on his shoulders as soon as Tom finished the sentence. Nicole was still standing below Derek, trying to hold on to the trophy. It'd be a nice change to have Donald and either Maria or Katherine standing next to him in the final 2, and Donald being announced the winner. I don't see why there's a need to have at least one of the Ballas/Hough trio n the finals. Season 9 was free of that, and it was great. We had Kym, plus two pros that had never made it that far, in the finals. Cheryl, Mark, and Derek-what is it, their 5th time each? Tony hasn't made it since season 8, Anna season 10, Lacey season 11, and Val/Tristan/Chelsie have never made it, although I think Val and Tristan will get there eventually. And then there's Peta, but I am somewhat confidant Donald will make it. Of course, it'll be telling next week how the scoring and comments work out. We're due for a perfect 60, and I think more than one couple will get it. I'd be surprised to see anything below an 8 next week, and the majority of scores will probably be 9s. But having 3 winners in the finale (2 2 time and 1 3 time) is just a snooze for me. And I know they'll play that up big time and the focus will be entirely off the celebs. Some people think Derek will take next season off because he has a movie coming out. Not sure if that'll happen, but I wouldn't mind Cheryl and Mark taking a hiatus. I can't really say I outright dislike Derek like I do Mark. Most of what I don't like about Derek lies at the producer and judges feet. I think he's a bit annoying and hammy at times, but other than that, I don't have any real issue with him. I don't think it would kill the show for him to be ousted earlier than 6th place (I think that's the worst he's ever done) or to give him a real hopeless cause. But then again, while I enjoy some of his routines, I don't think he's the be all that ends all, either.

    Donald is just too much fun. And he can dance. He's got it all. He's happy to be there and trying so hard while having fun. I felt for him when he said in the confessional he didn't know what else to do to get the scores from the judges he wants. I think he's doing everything right, so I'm not sure why the scores aren't matching their comments. Going way back to week 1 I thought he was robbed, and has been every week since. Football players have done extremely well on this show in placements, but only 2 have won, so it's not like they've dominated. I tend to find William a bit on the boring side like Katherine, except I think William does show a little more character and depth. I admire him for wanting to dance and not just be a sex symbol.

  4. #204
    FORT Fogey Florimel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,698

    Re: 5/8 DWTS 14 : Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

    I am hoping for win by either Donald or William. I'd be happy with either and I like both Peta and Cheryl. I would like to see Derek out because of that pseudo samba. He should have saved it for the final free style.
    karalott likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

    http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

  5. #205
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,597

    Re: 5/8 DWTS 14 : Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I am hoping for win by either Donald or William. I'd be happy with either and I like both Peta and Cheryl. I would like to see Derek out because of that pseudo samba. He should have saved it for the final free style.
    I wouldn't mind too much if Cheryl won, because she hasn't since season 3, even though she's made the finals 3 times since. Cheryl was once my absolute favorite at choreographing freestyles, and thought she set the bar high with Drew's cowboy routine. That's what I envision a freestyle to be. Rob's was okay, better then Gilles. But nothing spectacular. The Bollywood samba would have been a perfect freestyle. And something that we've never seen before. The freestyle round, no matter how they hype it and say it's the deciding factor, falls flat for me. I loved J.R.'s last season (Karina is one heck of a choreographer), and Hines in season 12. I know a lot of people knocked Erin/Mak's contemporary mattress roll, but I liked it because it was something different and took a risk. That's where you take risks, because there are no rules (that I'm aware of) for a freestyle. Beyond that, I can barely remember any freestyles. I just think they let that round get the best of them, and since there's no specific requirements, it can be a free for all mess.

    Donald is my first choice by far to win. Maria and William are a distant second. I like Maria better than William, but I wish they had different partners. It does make me wonder how everyone is doing in the fan votes. I guess it's not so predictable now, but I still think it'll be a Katherine/William final 2, and they'll hype up how Derek won't be alone as a 3 time champion anymore. Donald might have a shot at making the final 2, but if Maria's in the finals, I think she's out in 3rd place no matter who she's up against.

    I realized tonight, too, that we only have 2 weeks left. I can't believe the season is almost over already, but I'm kind of glad it is. It started off so well and enjoyable, but went south shortly after. I know it's too much to hope for, but I really hope they do something about the judging and scoring. Playing favorites aside, their antics are just embarrassing. And the scores make no sense.

  6. #206
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: 5/8 DWTS 14 : Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    Most of what I don't like about Derek lies at the producer and judges feet. I think he's a bit annoying and hammy at times, but other than that, I don't have any real issue with him. I don't think it would kill the show for him to be ousted earlier than 6th place (I think that's the worst he's ever done) or to give him a real hopeless cause. But then again, while I enjoy some of his routines, I don't think he's the be all that ends all, either.
    Yep, this is my issue with Derek - and yes it's a producer thing. I wish he'd get someone he did have to work with hard and see the results. IMHO I think if he did and gets dancing like he does with some who have at least some experience people would start rooting for him more again.

    Donald is just too much fun. And he can dance. He's got it all. He's happy to be there and trying so hard while having fun. I felt for him when he said in the confessional he didn't know what else to do to get the scores from the judges he wants. I think he's doing everything right, so I'm not sure why the scores aren't matching their comments. Going way back to week 1 I thought he was robbed, and has been every week since. Football players have done extremely well on this show in placements, but only 2 have won, so it's not like they've dominated. I tend to find William a bit on the boring side like Katherine, except I think William does show a little more character and depth. I admire him for wanting to dance and not just be a sex symbol.
    The only way Donald would get the scores to match his dancing is if he were allowed to dump Peta and get Cheryl. (Yes, that is SO dripping with sarcasm it's not funny). And I honestly feel the judges want their favorite pros in the finals - instead of it being about the celebrities again, it's the pros. That's been a burr for a long time.

    I also agree with the assessments of Katherine and William, who the latter is funny, but more often than not I feel is advancing because of his looks and being paired up with Cheryl.
    karalott and jucamer like this.

  7. #207
    FORT Fogey Jaceegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,129

    Re: 5/8 DWTS 14 : Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

    Just throwing my two cents in here for what it's worth, but would definitely like to see Donald and Maria in the F3. Donald because he is so likeable and I also think he can dance. He tries very hard and I will never understand why his jive routine did not get 3 10's. I do think he is very popular and has a lot of fans rooting for him.

    Maria because I saw something in her from the very beginning. She has natural talent and for me she shows so much emotion in her dances. She looks like she is having fun and how she has been able to pull off what she has with her injuries is remarkable. I know many did not like the Bollywood routine, but I did. I thought of all the trio routines I liked Donald's jive and Maria in the Bollywood number the best. The reason being that I think the star was the main focus and each number was fun for me to watch.

    For the third position it could be William or Katherine and it would not really matter. Katherine is a beautiful dancer, but I do see her slipping a bit. She came out very strong in the beginning, but as of now while I see growth with Maria, I guess I would say so far Katherine has remained pretty much the same. Don't get me wrong she is a beautiful dancer, but I see more emotion from Maria.

    With William I see Cheryl choosing to showcase the sex angle too much. I don't blame William for that because he has mentioned he is not comfortable with it. I think William could be a much better dancer if Cheryl gave him more content to work with. She has given him a bit more content, but I wish she would concentrate more on dancing skills.

    They are all good at this point for different reasons and I guess we will see what each one brings next week. Again, JMO.
    karalott and JunkieGirl like this.

  8. #208
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    19,055

    Re: 5/8 DWTS 14 : Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

    Maria because I saw something in her from the very beginning. She has natural talent and for me she shows so much emotion in her dances. She looks like she is having fun and how she has been able to pull off what she has with her injuries is remarkable. I know many did not like the Bollywood routine, but I did. I thought of all the trio routines I liked Donald's jive and Maria in the Bollywood number the best. The reason being that I think the star was the main focus and each number was fun for me to watch.
    Maria really has grown . I was looking at her very first dance. She is lovely to watch and has grown every week. I really enjoyed the bollywood number also. I like Donald, he has fun out there, and his kids are too cute! . I so happy with the final 4. I don't care who wins.


    They are all good at this point for different reasons
    Yes, they are all good. But as you say, for different reasons.
    Jaceegirl likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  9. #209
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: 5/8 DWTS 14 : Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

    It is too bad that Katherine was paired with Mark. I just think that she and Maks would have made a compatible ... and striking couple.

    I have no real favorite any more as I like Katherine and Maria but not their partners ... and think neither Donald or William are equal to the praise given. Really, William is very handsome, but his lumbering around the floor some time has been equivalent to Melissa'a and worse than Katherine's tiny unbalanced moment when being lifted. She was probably dizzy from that "spinny thing"
    karalott and AZChristian like this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  10. #210
    Bloomin' FoRT Fanatic! ness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Roseland!
    Posts
    9,323

    Re: 5/8 DWTS 14 : Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    I love Katherine. She exhibits grace and elegance. Her dancing is beautiful and refined, and reminds me of ballet. Her personality may seem a bit cold to Americans, but it is not unusual for the British to be more reserved in their emotions. I personally like that about the British (I married one).
    Hi, maude!



    From Day One, I have liked and appreciated Katherine's movements as a dancer. I've stated that many, many times, and am still stating it.

    And sure, the British culturally tend to be more reserved than Americans, usually. The time-worn phrase "stiff upper lip" comes to mind, here.

    And that extends BACKWARDS across the pond, as well, I think. Personal example: When something serious hits the fan in MY family, I, sometimes, have no problem going into a full-on, full-out, full-tilt meltdown, when the proper time and appropriate venue permit (and sometimes when they DON'T, either!). My older (by three years) cousin, however, could give any Brit breathing a run for their money in the "stiff upper lip" championships. Both of us are Americans. Same family, same blood, but a 360 degree difference in dealing with emotionally-charged situations. That has ALWAYS been the case.

    Also, I happen to have met and known Brits (actually worked with some of them) who can display this same variance in personality. Some have come across as "traditional stiff-upper-lippers", while others, well, except for the accent, you'd immediately think they were from THIS side of the pond, upon first meeting.

    Coldness? Another example.

    Don't know if you remember when Master P was on (he filled in for Romeo, his son, who'd sustained an injury and wasn't able to come on, I think). KATHERINE, at least, can dance ballroom. In addition to NOT being able to dance any part/sort of ballroom at ALL, Master P was surly, grumpy, ill-tempered, you can pretty much name any negative adjective, and he pretty much embodied it. Just came across to me as down-right SNAKE mean. The man was a walking, talking Sub-Zero Freezer.

    Far as I can tell, there haven't been any --- or many --- of us who HAVEN'T readily acknowledged that Katherine is one helluva dancer. But, again, for me at least, perhaps she's a "stiff upper lip" or reserved-personality type of Brit and I have finally realized that it's that that plays into what's putting me off about her. Even though I like to see her dance movements on the floor.

    I look to see and feel the JOY and happiness in a dancer when they perform. Even if they're doing a VW, or a jive, a quickstep, whatever. Even on the PBS ballroom shows, a couple will lose me REALLY quickly if I can't feel something from them other than perfect technique and execution of the steps.

    This goes for the pros, too.

    Could not STAND either Karina or Anna T when they first showed up, and for some time afterwards. THEY came across to me as ice-cold, ball-busting dancing queens. (Matter of fact, I used to wonder what in the HELL Jonathan ever saw in Anna, to have married her in the first place!) You COULD make the argument that that might be due to their Ukrainian and Russian roots, I suppose. However, over time, BOTH of them have loosened and warmed up, and I (and others of us, as well) are drawn to them BECAUSE they've let their guards down and have allowed us to peek into who they are as women and people, as WELL as showing us their dancing talents during each show that they do.

    Nobody is asking or expecting Katherine to be, say, Sherri. But, it couldn't hurt her --- ESPECIALLY since she's partnered with Mr. Muggs! --- to loosen up and give a laugh or smile or giggle every now and then that doesn't seem programmed, or some sort of mask.

    But then again, maybe being partnered with who she is IS keeping the warmer Katherine inside when she dances, because he can be such an overblown, outlandish force to be reckoned with.

    Could be.
    Florimel and maude~flanders like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.