+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132333435
Like Tree664Likes

Thread: 5/7 DWTS 14 Performance Show **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 5/7 DWTS 14 Performance Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Derek completely let his partner down with that ridiculous Bollywood number (same for the first dance that lacked content as well). It was a cute dance, and Maria performed it well, but it wasn't the dance they were supposed to do. If the Two Stooges on the ends were bona fide ballroom judges like Len, Maria would have been deducted even more points for Derek's showboating mistake, instead of rewarded for it. I don't know if Maria has the fan base to make up for it.

If Maria leaves tonight, I put the blame squarely at Derek's feet.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx View Post
    Derek completely let his partner down with that ridiculous Bollywood number (same for the first dance that lacked content as well). It was a cute dance, and Maria performed it well, but it wasn't the dance they were supposed to do. If the Two Stooges on the ends were bona fide ballroom judges like Len, Maria would have been deducted even more points for Derek's showboating mistake, instead of rewarded for it. I don't know if Maria has the fan base to make up for it.

It was a cute dance, and as many said, would have made an excellent freestyle. Maybe Derek figures he won't be in the finals this year so he decided to jump the gun and do a freestyle anyway. But if it was supposed to be a samba, and it wasn't, why did she get the scores she did? It was a very enjoyable routine. But the judges are supposed to judge the actual dance content. I'm not convinced Derek's fans won't come through and vote for him and Maria, and he may know that, so he figured what did he have to lose. But it makes CA and Bruno look even worse when Len, who knows what he's talking about, gives them a smack down and calls them out. This is why I think the judging process continues to prove idiotic and pointless. Bruno's a lost cause in his own universe that doesn't give a rip if he's booed and called out. CA sometimes seems to take issue with it, and can't ever back her comments up.
    Alexxxx likes this.

This isn't the first time Derek has completely ignored the dance they were supposed to be doing. He does this every season. He's a fantastic choreographer & his dances are fun to watch, but there need to be rules. The pros have to follow the proper methods to do the dance they are assigned.
    If they're assigned a freestyle fine, go at it & go crazy, but when you have a specific dance to do, make sure to do that dance.
    I'm glad Len called him on it. That needs to happen more often.
    The other judges are blinded by his showboating & giving him high marks based on the flash, not on the dance they were supposed to do.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I absolutely have to agree with everything you've said, Alexxx.

I LIKE Bollywood. Matter of fact, the kids on SYTYCD did a Bollywood routine a few years back that I just adored and STILL remember.

But, EXCEPT for Freestyle, DWTS is NOT where you want to try a Bollywood-themed routine, to give Len his props.

And Derek should know that better than ANYBODY, seeing as how Len slammed him back in Season 10 for doing a quickstep with Nicole that Len deemed: "Too Broadway!". I LOVED it, but, yeah, that number WAS more Broadway-style than quickstep. And, according to Derek, he choreographed it that way because NICOLE wanted to do something retro, and the music didn't totally lend itself to a quickstep, either.

Sure.

They wound up getting a 23 for that Broadway/quickstep number, I think. Last night, for that Bollywood/samba number, they wound up getting a 25.

So, all things considered, Derek chose to stick his hand into a running fan again. But at least this time, he came away with a bit more of his fingers remaining, even though he, Maria and Spatz II (IIRC) wound up in last place.

If I was Maria, however, yeah, I'd be ticked if I went home, because that Bollywood deal IS ALL ON DEREK.

So that'd be HIS fault.
    Last edited by ness; 05-08-2012 at 08:30 PM.
    karalott and Alexxxx like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

When Len's 7 was announced, Derek said he knew it was coming, that he took a risk and it didn't pay off with Len; or words to that effect. Seeing a Bollywood dance reminded me of SYTYCD where Bollywood has been the dance of doom. I hope that 7 didn't take them out of voting makeup.
    karalott likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

My problem with the Bollywood samba was that I remember Davis and White's Bollywood short dance for the 2010 figure skating season so fondly that the trio just fell flat by comparison.

I know it's not really fair to compare the two of them, but once you have a certain image in your head, it's just hard to erase it.
    karalott likes this.

+ Reply to Thread