+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435 LastLast
Like Tree664Likes

Thread: 5/7 DWTS 14 Performance Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/7 DWTS 14 Performance Show **West Coast Spoilers**

I would not mind seeing Maria and Derek leave tonight. That Bollywood number would have been outstanding as a freestyle, but as a samba? If there was 10 seconds of samba in that dance, I'd be surprised.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Random observations, opinions and thoughts dealing with Donald's situation . . .

OK. I'll play devil's advocate AGAIN and put forward that for DD and Heavens' tango, maybe they weren't QUITE robbed. Trying to be reasonable (?!), I'll give The Stooges a pass in that Double D and Heavens WERE first out of the gate, and --- perhaps --- The Stooges' intention WAS to score based on leaving room for those that followed, should they have fantastic dances as well.

I'll touch on THAT in a sec!

Having said that . . .

We can talk from now 'til the Second Coming. THEY WORKED THE HELL OUT OF THAT TANGO! It couldn't have hurt to have acknowledged that with a point or two MORE. PARTICULARLY since Len made such an almighty show of saying/yelling last night that HE liked it. Matter of fact, a couple or so weeks ago, LEN was the one who put PETA on blast that DD could do more, he (Len) wanted to see more out of him, and for her to push DD to give more in the dances, because he could handle it. Which, IIRC, she gave him a thumbs up on.

Let's move on to the Trio.

Here's where I (and, apparently, quite a few other people!) have MAJOR issues . . .

First out of the gate, or not, Donald, Peta and Karina RULED THAT TRIO CHALLENGE!

They. RULED. It.

If The Stooges would bother to review the show footage, they would see what MOST of us saw and are howling about, now.

I thought Len would've given DD a 10 for that tango, since he made such an almighty crow over it. But I can't truly say that --- after reflection --- I'm surprised he (and Bruno) wussed out and gave the man 9s for the Trio. And am I expecting him to man up like he did on the second show and admit that he underscored Donald? Hell, no. I don't think he's man enough to do it, anyway, frankly. Actually admitting he made a scoring mistake TWICE? IN ONE SEASON?

Please.

My dead grampa would rise from his grave and walk the earth again, before that'd happen.

Who knows? Stranger things have happened.

But honestly, I'm NOT betting we'll see THAT out of Len. And even if pigs fly again, and he DOES, THAT STILL DOESN'T MEAN THAT DONALD'S SCORE WILL BE CHANGED TO REFLECT THE ACTUAL SCORE HE SHOULD HAVE RECEIVED IN THE FIRST PLACE!

So even if he --- and, yes, Bruno, too! --- were to admit shortchanging Donald, far as I'm concerned, they could keep it. Frankly, I'd view it as an insult, because if you're going to acknowledge a mistake, great. GO AHEAD AND CORRECT THAT MISTAKE!

And THAT, my dears, is something I'd put money down on that it AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

And in the meantime, because Donald is not The Chosen One, he (and Peta) are going to continue to get screwed until they are voted off this travesty.

The Stooges blew it from the very first score given, and now --- try though they might --- they've dug themselves into a hole that it appears that they're not going to be able to dig themselves out of.

And Donald and Peta in PARTICULAR --- because they happen not to be The Golden Ones --- are putting it out there and getting dumped on every week, BECAUSE of these idiots.

I could be wrong, but that's how I'm seeing it, at this point.

Frankly, I absolutely agree with those of you who've said that all three of these "judges" need to be shown the door.

JMHO.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I thought it was Maks( sorry) What abour Erin or Mel B then, and yes he did dance with them
    There was some backlash against Mel B because some people (myself included) thought she was a ringer. Maks and Erin got reasonably far. But 2 talented contestants out of 14 seasons?

It does seem that Derek and Mark are given the better talent, though some of it is probably just random good luck. One of the most interesting things to me about this show is how singers and musicians frequently have little talent dancing, and how someone you'd have no reason to expect would be a great dancer (like Helio) turns out to be a natural.
    karalott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    There was some backlash against Mel B because some people (myself included) thought she was a ringer. Maks and Erin got reasonably far. But 2 talented contestants out of 14 seasons?

It does seem that Derek and Mark are given the better talent, though some of it is probably just random good luck. One of the most interesting things to me about this show is how singers and musicians frequently have little talent dancing, and how someone you'd have no reason to expect would be a great dancer (like Helio) turns out to be a natural.
    Maks also made it to the top three with Laila Ali and Kirstie Alley as well.

Before the season nobody gave Katherine Jenkins any credit either and figured that an opera singer would be an early exit. Who would have thought Gilles Marini would do well. You just never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post

But 2 talented contestants out of 14 seasons

So is that the judes fault then? or wardrobe, because I have been through all that.

I think Maria has a natural ability.She doesn't sing or dance. Derek had no clue she would be as good as she is. I am sure nobody knew.I already posted that Derek tapped into that ability . I didn't see any backlash about Mel. It's a dance show , with a piddly trophy at stake. I guess I just like dancing, and if they win good. If they don't win, and I have enjoyed them I am happy. Ringer or not, does it really matter in the bigger picture, ? for me? nope.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Just my comments and opinion of last night's show

For the ballroom dance

I liked Maria's and Roshon's foxtrot and Donald's Tango about the same, but for different reasons.

Donald

I think Donald had great dance moves and the way he attacked the dance and snapped his head and feet except for a few times when he appears to get excited I thought he was great.

Maria

I loved Maria's connection to Derek throughout the dance. For me they have the most honest chemistry of anyone out there dancing and was why I enjoyed her foxtrot so much. I was surprised that more people on here did not seem to like it. I just see Maria improving every week while other dancers have started stronger and now seem to be just maintaining.

Roshon

With Roshon I think it was clean, fun and certainly showcased Roshon. I just loved it. One thing I noticed is how much I love how Roshon does his turns. He did an absolutely amazing one in his foxtrot.

William

William I guess I disagree with everyone because I still see Cheryl showcasing herself. It wasnít bad, but Iím still not seeing a whole lot of showmanship from William. I still think Cheryl focuses too much on the sexual aspects of any dance she choreographs for William.

Katherine

Katherine's Viennese waltz was a non-event for me. I thought there was nothing technically wrong and the choreography was lovely, but her manner in which she delivered it was bland. I think that is what is missing from her performance compared to Maria. Maria shows passion and chemistry with her dances.

Melissa

Melissa foxtrot was her best performance this season, but she did lose her footwork and stuttered a bit. She seemed to be more relaxed than previous weeks.

The trio dancing

I think the trio idea overall kind of failed, but the trio of Donald, Peta and Karina were fantastic. Both ladies really rock at the jive, but Donald impressed me so much with the partnership of both ladies. None of the rest of the trios were able to do that and I think it is because it is very hard for a novice ballroom dancer to do. This performance was so much fun and I give all the credit in the world to Donald, Peta and Karina and why it was not given a perfect score is beyond me.

The next one I would give to Maria. I give Derek props for pushing the envelope with their Bollywood samba. It may not have worked as good as they wanted it to, but I give it props for being something different and given the music choice do not know what else they could have done.

Katherine - Nothing technically wrong with it, and I do give her props for dancing around a wardrobe malfunction without losing her cool, but just was not loving it and was very surprised when it scored higher than Donald's routine.

Melissa's samba kept with a lot of basic samba steps, but it seemed to have a lot of walking around and posing. They did try to focus on Melissa and for that it was okay.

William's trio of the paso doble seemed to be the Cheryl Burke show. There was too much focus on her and not enough on William. Again, there was a lot of walking around and William did get off time, but Roshon got hosed for doing the same by the judges and it was a mere mention for William.

Roshon - see above.

I have no clue who will be the two leaving tonight. It comes down to fan bases and not on actual dancing which I understand. They do tell us to vote for our favorite and these are just my opinions on the dancing.

For me the worst dance of the night was the trio samba danced by Maria and Derek; however, it may have been that the men's costumes were so bad that I could get past them.
    karalott and Florimel like this.

BTW . . .

A word about Karina . . .

The more I see her, the more I'm liking her. Sure, she's a fantastic dancer and choreographer, and we all know that by now.

What I'm honing in on is how much warmer she is, how much more she seems to have grown from when she first came on DWTS.

What I'm specifically referring to is the point in the show where the three of them were being "interviewed" by Brooke. Brooke said something regarding their scores. DD responded with something to the effect of: "ONE 10?!" (and who could blame him?). To which, Karina responded: "A 10 is good! We'll take a 10!"

I can vividly recall the days when not ONLY would she've NOT responded with an upbeat, positive comment of that type to the slap in the face that the judges gave them by underscoring them, she would've possibly thrown in a few eye rolls, a thrust-out hip and crossed arms and a few lip pouts for good measure!

I gotta give her and for how she responded. And she didn't do/say it in such a way that appeared to negate Donald, or put him down for how he was feeling and responded. She showed class in the face of how the judges dissed them all, and I tip my hat to her for how she's obviously grown.

GOOD FOR HER!

Maybe she'll have another shot at the Mirrorball next season!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    Maks also made it to the top three with Laila Ali and Kirstie Alley as well.

Before the season nobody gave Katherine Jenkins any credit either and figured that an opera singer would be an early exit. Who would have thought Gilles Marini would do well. You just never know.
    The same could be said for a lot of contestants, so you never do know. I thought Katherine would have 2 things against her: having Mark as a partner, and being an unknown. What lacks for me with Katherine is I find her cold and bland. There's no excitement factor, and I find her to be a bit on the fake side (sorry). Reminds me a bit of the undying praise Nicole Scherzinger and Joanna Krupa got from the judges week after week after week. I knew when I saw her dance she wasn't going anywhere, and then the comments and 10s started coming. Gilles was at least exciting, for me. I don't find William cold or fake, but I don't find him anymore exciting. A final 2 of Katherine and William, which is what I'm banking on, would be one of the most forgettable finales for me. And I don't dislike William or have the contempt for Cheryl that I do Mark. But Katherine seems to be quite popular, and she's doing something right, because unlike other couples, I'm not sure she had the pro fanbase to get her through. Just depends what you like

In regards to Mak's previous partners: he worked wonders with Kirstie and Laila. I didn't expect Erin to make the final 3, or even get that far. She was a bit gangly because of her height in some of their dances, where it looked like her legs would lose control (I have that same feeling about Maria, and also Shannon Elizabeth back in season 6). I think the whole showmance aspect, plus Maks showing a side of himself that no one had really ever seen, lead the way with votes. I think their placement was well earned, and I knew that the final 2 was going to be Evan and Nicole. That really was a season where seeing who got 3rd was more exciting. As for Mel-she didn't exactly get the undying love we see ringers get now. Even Sabrina Bryan didn't. Maybe because the show was still new and the judges actually judged. I'd argue Mel's the only ringer Maks ever had, but she reminded me of the Joey Fatone/Lance Bass/Sabrina/Roshon ringer-a little too hip hop, a little too girl band manufactured, and almost a little too good they stumble. She got compared to a trucker for petes sake. Although maybe that had to do with her big mouth I can't remember, I just ran across the comment in a fanvid someone made on Youtube about Mel/Maks. But one ringer out of how many seasons Maks has been on, compared to other pros?
    Last edited by karalott; 05-08-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Totally agree ness! I remember a time when Ms. Smirnoff would've had the prissy out full on if she didn't get good scores! She has grown so much! I really, really like her now! Ralph and JR totally allowed me to see her in a new light!
    karalott and ness like this.
    Keep your feet on the ground, when your heads in the clouds!

+ Reply to Thread