+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree444Likes

Thread: 5/1 DWTS 14 Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Re: 5/1 DWTS 14 Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    I wish everybody would take that attitude. I will never understand the need to go into the fan thread for a particular contestant just to bash them and their fans.

I like Maks, I think he and his partners get messed over every single season and it just makes me pull for them even more. While I think that some pros consistently get those who cannot dance or are difficult to work with (Tony), I think that Maks just can't win. He could have the best dancer, the best routine, the best everything and the judges will still mark them down for something that the others have done and don't get marked down. That's not just us Maks fans being bitter, it's fact.

I just don't know why Maks continues to put up with it.

I rarely like the celebs, I like the pros. This show long ago stopped being about the celebs for me. It's about the pros and ones I want to see make it to the end.
    Why? Because he is the most talked about Pro and the most high profile. He's opened up a couple new studios, did the Ukrainian Bachelor and has a jewelery line.

I'm a fan of Maks, but I certainly don't feel sorry for him. This show has made him famous and he has been well compensated. I don't think he feels sorry for himself either, but he feels bad for his partner. It must be hard to motivate someone, have them perform at their best when it is all for nothing. But that is up to the celeb to overcome. If all the Pros took such an attitude because Cheryl, Kym, Mark and Derek have won multiple times, so what is the point? Maks, Tony, Louis, Anna etc would have left after Derek's 3rd win. But they don't because they are competitive, and they still have the desire to try to win that ugly mirrorball trophy.
    karalott, TIA__MA and Jaceegirl like this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    Why? Because he is the most talked about Pro and the most high profile. He's opened up a couple new studios, did the Ukrainian Bachelor and has a jewelery line.

I'm a fan of Maks, but I certainly don't feel sorry for him. This show has made him famous and he has been well compensated. I don't think he feels sorry for himself either, but he feels bad for his partner. It must be hard to motivate someone, have them perform at their best when it is all for nothing. But that is up to the celeb to overcome. If all the Pros took such an attitude because Cheryl, Kym, Mark and Derek have won multiple times, so what is the point? Maks, Tony, Louis, Anna etc would have left after Derek's 3rd win. But they don't because they are competitive, and they still have the desire to try to win that ugly mirrorball trophy.
    And sometimes I wonder why I care that they win that stupid dollar store mirrorball I also wonder why I let myself get so caught up and upset with this cheesy dance show, because it's the same script, same song and dance, every season. And it's not going to change. If it ever does, it'll probably mean DWTS has gone beyond rock bottom and I will have tuned out long ago.

In regards to the judges and the whole 'better dancer' argument: the producers can't have it both ways. If they want to say it's a dance competition, make it a dance competition, and cast people with equal ability. Not Kate Gosselin with Nicole Scherzinger, or Melissa Gilbert with Katherine Jenkins. And then be upset when, god forbid, people may actually be voting for the weaker dancer of the two so they throw stuff in to ensure they get the outcome they want. They've given encore dances to some of the worst dancers (remember Adam Carolla's unicycle paso?) They have judges that are inconsistant and play favorites, or at least make it known who they want to advance. No one is good enough to be getting a 10 week 2. And if they are, just end the competition and call it a season. Back in the day, we saw the 2 paddle and 3s and 4s were more common. Getting 7s was more like overscoring. TV Guide had a viewer write in this week complimenting the show for not making it about the judges and the hosts like AI and other shows do. I semi agree, but I think the judges are a nasty thorn in the side of the show. It's really laughable at their antics anymore. And predictable.

I think Maks is passionate, and for him at least, he wants to represent ballroom and represent it right. While others can take it as a TV show and make a joke out of it, I think it's harder for some pros to do that. I don't feel like they're wrong for the way they feel, but I can understand that it's not always easy to go from feeling one way to going out and making a spectacle of yourself and your partner (which is why it's hard for me to look at Corky Ballas and hear what a pro he was on the circuit and how he trained a lot of the non-camera mugging pros on here). Watching the ballroom battle this week, and seeing the reaction of the pros who were eliminated, I think they were more upset then they are when they're voted off of here. I also think it's hard for some pros (like Maks) who don't think their celeb is getting a fair shot. I don't know that he'd mind the negative comments, if thhe judges weren't inconsistant. I'm still waiting for the day for someone to call CA out on when she calls lifts out and when she openly ignores them. For the celebs, it's a TV show. They aren't training to be professional dancers. They get an ugly trophy and perhaps some career opportunities. Why make it so hard and so negative for them? Maks has enough love and support from his past partners, and from his current one, that I don't think he's anywhere close to the bully the show likes to portray. He's been requested by a lot of his partners, including Melissa, who's friends with Kirstie, so she knew what she was getting into. And you're right, he has legions of new fans and exposure from this show, and that's more than winning will have ever given him.
    Last edited by karalott; 05-05-2012 at 01:50 AM.
    Florimel, GabbyG, Moontat and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronwyn View Post
    IMO, if this show were truly about the best dancer and a true dance competition, they would have judges that were qualified to adjudicate in ballroom dancing, which Carrie Ann and Bruno are not. And they wouldn't let the viewers have a say, in which case they'd have very little audience, if any. Although, personally, I don't think the viewers have quite as much say as they think they do, or used to have in early seasons, with all the dance-off's, winner takes all, etc. that they have come up with in recent seasons to keep who the producers and judges want. Carrie Ann and Bruno seem to pick one hunky guy every single season, that they fawn and drool over all season long, and more often than not, that person cannot dance at all, but makes it pretty far in the show, if not into the finals, just because those two have the hots for them.

And I have said before, one of the mistakes this show made was to not rotate the pros every season, instead of bringing the same ones back over and over. It allowed the pros to garner such a fan base, that they are the stars now, not the celebs who sign up to be on the show. It's probably not something they ever considered would happen though, when they first started this show, and had no idea it would become an instant hit.
    I so agree with the bolded. If the judges were knowledgable and consistant ... like Len for the most part ... it would make for a better show. CA and Bruno are just a joke. You know both will find some hunky guy to drool over and objectify, as a result, inflating his scores. Bruno will fly out of his seat while making innapropriate sexual references and CA will get her knickers in a knot over some "lift" that she may or may not have seen.

As much as the pros build their own fan bases ... myself included, I wouldn't mind seeing them rotated so that the "stars" rely more on themselves and their dancing ability to get the votes rather than based on the pro.

The other things that I think would improve the show:

Appropriate music to the dance. This includes if you are having a theme week such as classical, stick to it ... No Lady Gaga as a classical song or making people dance a jive to waltz music. Also, everyone gets appropriate music, not just the favourites.

Stick to two choices of dances. If everyone is doing either a waltz and a rhumba, don't throw in someone with a jive.

Get the rights to the music and have the real song played ... not a butchered version by the singers which is nothing like the original.

Proper costumes that don't make the celebrities look like a joke. (Please refer to Martina's net top and harem pants this season.)

Don't over score. This means from the start! Be consistant. Mark down for traditional moves of a dance not done or badly performed. Mark down if a person doesn't move and the pro just dances around them.

Stop with the fog machine because you can't see the feet so you can't judge the footwork.

And finally, please stop making people do so many dances! These people are not pros. Many are out of shape and overweight ... Kirsty, Nancy, Niecy, or have had serious injuries ...Melissa with her back surgery last year and Jennifer Gray with her neck. I would prefer to see them in one piece. There will always be accidents and even younger stars who are seemingly in good shape like Maria this year, will get injured, but if you are pushing them to do three dances this will only be exacerbated.
    karalott, mom2, ness and 11 others like this.
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Midol View Post
    I so agree with the bolded. If the judges were knowledgable and consistant ... like Len for the most part ... it would make for a better show. CA and Bruno are just a joke. You know both will find some hunky guy to drool over and objectify, as a result, inflating his scores. Bruno will fly out of his seat while making innapropriate sexual references and CA will get her knickers in a knot over some "lift" that she may or may not have seen.

As much as the pros build their own fan bases ... myself included, I wouldn't mind seeing them rotated so that the "stars" rely more on themselves and their dancing ability to get the votes rather than based on the pro.

The other things that I think would improve the show:

Appropriate music to the dance. This includes if you are having a theme week such as classical, stick to it ... No Lady Gaga as a classical song or making people dance a jive to waltz music. Also, everyone gets appropriate music, not just the favourites.

Stick to two choices of dances. If everyone is doing either a waltz and a rhumba, don't throw in someone with a jive.

Get the rights to the music and have the real song played ... not a butchered version by the singers which is nothing like the original.

Proper costumes that don't make the celebrities look like a joke. (Please refer to Martina's net top and harem pants this season.)

Don't over score. This means from the start! Be consistant. Mark down for traditional moves of a dance not done or badly performed. Mark down if a person doesn't move and the pro just dances around them.

Stop with the fog machine because you can't see the feet so you can't judge the footwork.

And finally, please stop making people do so many dances! These people are not pros. Many are out of shape and overweight ... Kirsty, Nancy, Niecy, or have had serious injuries ...Melissa with her back surgery last year and Jennifer Gray with her neck. I would prefer to see them in one piece. There will always be accidents and even younger stars who are seemingly in good shape like Maria this year, will get injured, but if you are pushing them to do three dances this will only be exacerbated.
    Look at poor Maria! True, she could drop out if she was in severe enough pain or the doctors told her too, but why make the risk for injury that much greater? ABC needs a Plan B to fill up time, because they have 2 hours on Monday night, and when it gets to this point when there's six couples, even with 2 dances each, that's a lot of commercial time and filler. I realize it's how it works in that world, but sometimes sitting through 2 hours of the 3 stooges and Brooke and the banshee like singers and couples I don't like, on top of all the pro dancing filler, musical guests, and other random fluff, it makes me wonder if this doesn't contribute to the declining ratings of the show. And an hour for a results show is way too long, too. I kind of miss how they did it season 1, where they eliminated the lowest ranking vote getter from the week before and that was that. It's become a stale format. Team dances started in season 7, the marathon dance in season 9, the insta-dances season 11, story week and now 'best/worst year of my life' started season 11. It's never a good sign when you can already tell when the cast is announced who will be paired with who, who will get propped up, who is likely to be the object of the judges affection, who will get run over first and then later on when they're a threat to the chosen ones, all before the show even premieres. The judges don't even have any new comments to add. And CA and Bruno with their antics of screaming, crying, arm flailing, waving their hands around, hollering....although we talk about it, and will continue to do so, so ABC must figure they're doing something right I just hate the excuse by TPTB that they add things like the dance off or WTA dance to ensure better dancers advance because people complained. But the dance off has proven to be unsuccessful and pointless, and it seems like they won't do it in a season with truly horrible dancers that advance to the finals (or close to it), but add them in random seasons where people seem happy and content with how it's going down (I'd argue Ralph Macchio was a bigger fan favorite than Chelsea Kane). It's like they make it up as they go along. They need to make some changes, and I don't mean a theme week dedicated to the biggest movie bombs or adding hip hop as a dance style.

I can see many frustrations by all and for so many reasons. This show does have a lot of flaws in it. I see many suggestions that could possibly help the show, but for me I think one that seems to be the biggest complaint is the judging by CA and Bruno. Other frustrations are the show itself and what and how they portray the celebs/pros. All the extra dances that they throw in and what did it really accomplish except maybe contribute to more injuries. I could go on and on. I agree with all those frustrations as I share them as well. I do not like the fact that because a guy is hot in their eyes it means automatic higher scores. If the guy happens to be hot and can dance then that is okay. This would be true for females as well. I agree with Bronwyn about rotating the pros. I see a lot of great pros that are not given the chance to come back and I don't know why that is. Yet, for the people who watch because they love these pros that do come back you would be making them unhappy. For myself I have no problem with rotating the current pros to see how they would dance with other partners, but again I think that would be hard to start all over again in mid-season or however it would be done.

The following words taken out of the article that Max writes himself in TV Guide and written before Classical Week is an example of why that may be problematic. Next week is Classical Week and we also have a team dance. Our dance is the Argentine tango, so it'll be a clashing of styles to the classical music. Even though Val's here, it's still my vision for the dance. I don't want it to be a two-person thing. But to be honest, having another person just sitting here helps. I'm very stubborn. I don't use outside help because nobody knows Melissa better than me and someone else might make it worse. But it is useful to have another set of eyes there and Val is very, very good. It's all about maintenance. I want to maintain the direction we're going in and what we're doing. I wish I had the perfect answer to make all people happy who enjoy this show and watch it for the many different reasons they do. Like in my earlier post I do watch it for the dancing, yet I know that the best dancer does not always win. I have seen many great dancers leave way to early because they did not have the fan base. As a past dancer that is hard, but I do know it is the nature of the show. I do realize that this is not an actual dance competition and if it were would not be as popular with many. First of all if it were we would not see the costumes we do or the showy presentations. To be honest, since this is the first time I am part of a site like this, I really had no idea that so many people watch more for the pros and less for the celebs. I learn something new all the time. I also enjoy watching the celebs who have great charisma and can put a smile on my face. I really do share in all of the frustrations. JMO

As a side note for some reason I can no longer see past page 20. I may have clicked on something by mistake since I am still learning the site. Does anyone have any idea what I may have done wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by Jaceegirl; 05-05-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    karalott likes this.

Thanks anyway - once I posted page 21 opened up for me and I can now see the entire page. Don't know what happened, but all is okay. lol

I also see now see the great posts that were written on this page that I did not see before writing mine. Thank you.
    Last edited by Jaceegirl; 05-05-2012 at 01:54 PM.

But to be honest, having another person just sitting here helps. I'm very stubborn. I don't use outside help because nobody knows Melissa better than me and someone else might make it worse. But it is useful to have another set of eyes there and Val is very, very good. It's all about maintenance. I want to maintain the direction we're going in and what we're doing
    He said that before last weeks dance I think. I wonder how well she will dance with Val? I think for some reason she will do well( or better)
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Jaceegirl View Post
    To be honest, since this is the first time I am part of a site like this, I really had no idea that so many people watch more for the pros and less for the celebs. I learn something new all the time. I also enjoy watching the celebs who have great charisma and can put a smile on my face. I really do share in all of the frustrations. JMO
    That's a good reason to make the celebs rotate partners. I too think the competition has become too pro-centered. If the celebs had to rotate from one pro to the next each week, they'd be learning much more about dancing, and also they could be assured the votes were for THEM and not for the pros.

Despite my huge affinity for Derek, I'd much rather this be a fair competition, and skill-focused rather than popularity-based.

Forcing the celebs to rotate trainers each week makes it more difficult... and yet MUCH more fair. Plus they could reduce the complexity by requiring only 1 style per week instead of 3... then the celeb could focus solely on their new partner and new style, instead of THREE new styles.

All I really want is for things to be fair. And if the judges keep behaving like they're in heat, i'm going to start insisting on a dress-code, too (buttons up to the collar, NO cleavage, NO stomach)! Just dance.
    Last edited by fireflyer; 05-07-2012 at 12:17 AM.
    karalott, mom2, Alexxxx and 1 others like this.

And if the judges keep behaving like they're in heat, i'm going to start insisting on a dress-code, too (buttons up to the collar, NO cleavage, NO stomach)! Just dance.
    Good idea!!!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer View Post
    And if the judges keep behaving like they're in heat, i'm going to start insisting on a dress-code, too (buttons up to the collar, NO cleavage, NO stomach)! Just dance.
    Have you seen real ballroom competitions on PBS? The women dress even skimpier than they do on DWTS. It seems sexist in this ultra-PC world today, but it's just a part of contemporary traditional ballroom. The men lead the dance, and the women dress as slinky as possible.
    Florimel and ness like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread