+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829 LastLast
Like Tree421Likes

Thread: 4/30 DWTS 14: Performance Show Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 4/30 DWTS 14: Performance Show Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    There were some great performances last night, but the judges and their agenda now seems to annoy me so much that I find it difficult to just relax and enjoy the show. I do wonder if the backlash could come back and help Melissa. I am expecting Jaleel and Roshon to be in the bottom two tonight and not Melissa!
    I think the backlash does help Melissa, I know it stirred me to vote. I cannot stand the judges, I wish they would replace CarrieAnn and Bruno.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    Did you guys notice the way after one of her songs, she hopped up and down and did a little dance in excitement? She was so happy to be there and so thrilled at the dancing that she couldn't even contain herself. I've never heard of her since I don't watch the show she was on. She is adorable and truly a gifted singer.
    I noticed that and the last song she sang last night she was making sure to applaud the dancers - and it was clearly the dancers. And the dancers in turn applauded her. It's that magic I miss on "DWTS" - just dancing for pure enjoyment.

(BTW, I think Jackie - as well as Prince Poppycock - have had MUCH MORE SUCCESS than they'd EVER would've if they had won "America's Got Talent." Said enough when she went platinum in less than 2 weeks with her CD than the winner went gold - and he went gold in about 4 weeks. Now she just needs to take care of that voice and not sing all the time - I'd love to see her do say "Phantom of the Opera" when she's older. ).
    karalott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG View Post
    I think the backlash does help Melissa, I know it stirred me to vote. I cannot stand the judges, I wish they would replace CarrieAnn and Bruno.
    A milllion agrees...replace them all.
    NFL1, karalott and Jaceegirl like this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I noticed that and the last song she sang last night she was making sure to applaud the dancers - and it was clearly the dancers. And the dancers in turn applauded her. It's that magic I miss on "DWTS" - just dancing for pure enjoyment.

(BTW, I think Jackie - as well as Prince Poppycock - have had MUCH MORE SUCCESS than they'd EVER would've if they had won "America's Got Talent." Said enough when she went platinum in less than 2 weeks with her CD than the winner went gold - and he went gold in about 4 weeks. Now she just needs to take care of that voice and not sing all the time - I'd love to see her do say "Phantom of the Opera" when she's older. ).
    I would as well. She has sung with Sarah Brightman ( Time to say goodbye) its on you tube and its wonderful!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I think changing partners every week would be a much needed change, not put so much emphasis on the pros fanbases and them racking up more wins or seeing how the judges take one of their favorite celebs and judge them the same or if their bias comes out based on the pro, and really getting to see what the pro can do.......While they're at it, can they rotate the 3 stooges and bring in new judges each week?
    I hear you and fully agree.

This show has become way way too much about the pros. For example, I think the fact that Donald has a pro partner who, although extremely talented, is an unknown to the tv audience which will affect his outcome. I don't believe Donald himself understands how important it is for any contestant to have a "good" and/or "well liked" pro for a partner on this show. DONALD DOESN'T HAVE A CHANCE... which upsets me.

Changing up the pros each week makes all the sense in the world. ....and in the end, the "stars" should be standing alone, with ALL the pros behind them, when the winner is announced. DWTS should be about the "stars" and how far they progressed during the season.

Will it be advantageous for the "star" to have a large fan base? Well, sure. There's no getting around that. However, I believe the public could rally around a fairly unknown contestant who manages to progress and improve each week with the help of many pros.

I think the judges should only see the live performances and deliver their score, on the spot. NO WATCHING THE REHEARSALS!!! They should NOT be able to compare notes and massage their totals to come up with a score they all decide on ahead of time. I'm tired of their bias.

Just wanted to share my opinions of this week. I agree with so many of your comments about the judges, TPTB, music and the show in general. Theme weeks always seem so unfair. This was no exception. I loved seeing Jackie and agree with all of you that she was such a delight to have on the show. She truly has the voice of an angel.

I again, have no idea who will end up going home because fan bases or lack thereof is a factor. I have read some of the comments and suggestions and really wish they could come up with a way for it to be more fair. I don't expect that to happen because I agree with many of you who think it is decided ahead of time who they want in at the end. With this being the last week of the dance-off and next week double elimination I guess it does not matter because if they don't go this week they will next week. I try to enjoy the show for what it is because of my love for dance. I admit they make it hard at times. Funny thing is both my husband and myself started out watching this show for the same reason. Our love of dance. He gave up after watching the first season.

Maria I think they deserved a 30 for their dance. I recognized a natural ability in Maria from the beginning. I think it worked for them. The choreography was clean and exciting and a great representation of a paso doable.

Katherine - I thought Katherine would be the one to beat in the beginning, but she seems to be slipping a bit. Her legs looked great and she had good hip action, but it lacked something. She seems to lack a bit of confidence that we saw in the beginning. She is still a beautiful dancer and seems to be a nice person both inside and outside.

Donald - I was happy to see Peta finally give him some content. They handled their piece of music well and liked the presentation of the dance. He had a tiny bit of footwork problems, but I was annoyed when CA had to mention a possible lift issue that she did not see. Why bother to bring it up? I thought he was great and I enjoyed it.

William - I was happy to see that Cheryl also gave William some content rather than just stand there and look good. I think each of the dancers that had the VW this week had the same problem with their footwork which went from being flat footed to being too tippy toed. I always wonder when any of the dances start out with the smoke. Not just picking on William, but for all of them are they trying to hide footwork?

Roshon - I can't help it I just like him and his dancing. He really has talent. I do not know what was going on as the camera angle seemed off the entire dance. Then we had the DWTS logo? He had some issues with footwork, but I was impressed with how well he kept up and how well he dealt with some of the lifts. I still think he takes a hosing from the judges. I think we all agree about the judges and the way they are. I wish he could stay in longer as I see him trying so hard and see him improving all the time.

Jaleel - He also suffered the same problems as both William and Donald did with the VW footwork. He was really on last week, but seemed off this week. I just don't think he has popularity that Donald and William does and in any other season may have fared better as I do think he has the ability.

Melissa - Sad to say that I think she is the weakest dancer left in the competition. Her AT was not good, but I do not think the judges needed to be so nasty. I again do not understand their critiques. I don't see why it is necessary to say nasty things to any of these contestants. Each and every one of them work like crazy to learn how many dances each week and to be criticized as they are seems totally unfair. But, as we know this is the way that TPTB want it to be. I just wish Melissa would have been able to take her great acting ability and apply it here on DWTS. She still seems to show fear on her face or if it is not fear it may be too much determination. I know she is trying very hard and will always give her props for that.

Team Tango and Team Paso - I may be in the minority here, but this is the way I saw it and JMO.

I saw no timing issues or missteps on Team Tango everything was in synch, and aside from a couple of small wobbles from Jaleel & Maria, I saw no glaring mistakes. I also thought they had the more interesting floor patterns lots of visually-pleasing shapes and transitions. I would declare without a doubt that Roshon was the MVP of Team Tango. He came out with determination and attack. He had no mistakes and would go so far as saying that he was the MVP overall of both dances. That is why I think Roshon is such a great dancer. He really made me sit up and take notice of him like no one else did.

As for Team Paso I thought they had the more exciting piece of music and had more theatricality and drama than Team Tango, but they suffered in terms of synchronization and just overall cleanliness of their choreography. The parts with the cape were really good when they were in synch, but were really bad when they weren't. I would declare Donald the MVP for that team. He showed great control in his solo part. I thought it was interesting how during rehearsals William did not want to take his shirt off and I was proud of him to say he wanted it to be more about the dancing and not about the sexual aspect. We saw that he lost that argument, but he tried. I noticed his children in the audience and wondered if that is why he wanted to go that route. I gave him huge props for that.

Again, all my comments are JMO.
    Last edited by Jaceegirl; 05-01-2012 at 03:23 PM.
    karalott, JunkieGirl and ilja like this.

Team Tango and Team Paso

I really liked them both. They each had something different. I think Roshon stood out for me.I also think William has had enough with *going shirtless* and I hope Cheryl takes note of that
    ilja and Jaceegirl like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Just a few quick observations from classical week.
    1. There are many classical pieces to choose from that are good for ballroom dance. Why pick ones that aren't?
    2. In consideration of observation 1 - I can't think of many that would work for a Rumba, ditch the Rumba on classical week.
    3. Ditch the fog machine except for the exhibition dances. How are you supposed to judge the dance if you can't see the legs and feet?
    4. If you are going to have live artists (and please continue to do so) get enough so that all the couples have a great performer to back them up. You can afford it.
    5. Love the enhanced HWB band. Filling out the band with fuller orchestrations is wonderful.
    6. Better to recycle past music choices than to try and force dances to music that is just plain wrong.

Quick thoughts on the dances:

Katherine and Mark - Do the producers hate her? During all of the "theme week" episodes she has received inappropriate music for the dance selected. Some commentators have said that she has lost her edge. I think she has done well to do anything with some of the musical choices she has had to endure. BTW - this goes form many other couples as well. Mark lost the hat (thank you), but he gave away his shirt with it and replaced it with a cape - wrong choice.

Melissa and Maks - I think the costume makers hate Melissa. That dress and her flashing undies did nothing to enhance the Argentine Tango. The theme did work, but there was far to much lifting and not enough precision footwork for my taste. Don't get me wrong, I like the lifts (I am a pair figure skater too), but the beauty of the Argentine Tango is in the intertwined kicks. Melissa also doesn't express the dances anywhere near as well as the other remaining couples. That's odd because as an actress you'd think she could express any emotion she desires. I think her time on the show has run it's course.

William and Cheryl - Jackie Evancho's rendition of Ave Maria was a beautiful setting for their Waltz. I should ever be so lucky to get such an opportunity. William made the most of the opportunity as far as I could see (reference comment 3 above). His frame and lead were excellent throughout. He and Cheryl looked lovely in hold. His feet got a little tangled once that I could see. Overall a wonderful effort.

Roshon and Chelsie - Roshon put in a good effort, but wasn't quite up to the task. I think he is still intimidated by Chelsie. The fact that he sometime steps too far around her instead of into her indicates to me that he is not comfortable in hold. Roshon - be a man and lead! He is an outside shot at the bottom two.

Maria and Derek - Derek's mind blowing choreography overcame any weaknesses in Maria's dance ability and teh result was a spectacular performance. It is the performance that got them the scores, not the dance skills. Maria was actually a little stiff in places. I still considered it the best performance of the night and deserving of the judge's scores.

Donald and Peta - I liked the dance even though I hated the costumes. Big floppy costumes like Donald's coat make it hard to observe body position. Donald is really learning to take charge on the dance floor in both the Ballroom and Latin styles. This is where he and William set themselves apart from the other male competitors. Of all the dancers I think that Donald has come the farthest. I like him for the finals.

Jaleel and Kym - Jaleel's consistency is a real problem. One night he will be great and the next he comes out flat. He was flat tonight. It wasn't the choreography, he just didn't bring his A game. In this field you need to do that every night. I predict that he will be in the bottom two tonight.

Team Dances - I thought the team dances were very evenly matched with team Tango displaying more dance skills and team Paso having a more exhilarating performance. To be honest I would have scored it a draw.

The obvious choices for the dance off are Melissa, Roshon, and Jaleel. I think the dance off could be interesting because a Rumba should play to Melissa and Maks strengths. If Roshon winds up in the dance off I have no idea how he will be able to handle Chelsie. The Rumba could also prove challenging for Jaleel if he should wind up there. I predict the dance off will wind up in a split decision.
    Last edited by DancingDad; 05-01-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    ilja likes this.

Ditch the fog machine except for the exhibition dances. How are you supposed to judge the dance if you can't see the legs and feet?
    ITA with this.
    Midol likes this.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Another professional speaks up on the poor judging.

'Dancing With the Stars' pro disagrees with judges' scores
    Bob D'amico / ABC
    By Anna Chan
    Fans of "Dancing With the Stars" have been vocal all season about how the judges appear to be favoring some pairs while unfairly criticizing others. The complaints reached new heights after Monday night's scoring shenanigans.

But viewers aren't the only ones who disagree with Len Goodman, Bruno Tonioli and Carrie Ann Inaba. Pro Louis van Amstel didn't exactly see eye to eye with the trio either, and he said as much in his weekly recap of the show. His biggest points of contention? The scoring of Melissa and Maks, and Donald and Peta.

The "Little House on the Prairie" star and ballroom bad boy received a lowly 21 from the panel for an Argentine tango that was filled with challenging choreography and amazing lifts. But Len said it lacked dance quality, Bruno said it was messy and Carrie Ann said it was "Cirque du Soleil went terribly." Louie's thoughts? "Carrie Ann, you were a little harsh."

The ballroom champ gave props to Maks for taking a risk with the difficult choreography, and Melissa for being brave enough to attempt the scary lifts. Was it her best dance? No, and Louis said as much. But he still thought the scoring was low. "I'd give them three 8s for difficulty level alone," Louis wrote.

Maks, who has been unusually quiet this season despite all the judges' nitpicking and low scores, knows there's not much he can do to please the panel. "There's nothing (Melissa and I) can do right by them, and it is what it is," he told reporters after the show. He also told our pals at Access Hollywood that he wished Melissa would get at least some positive feedback from the judges. "I know it will make her very happy and I know that she'll go about her week in a different mood, but that's the card we're dealt and it is what it is."

As for Donald and Peta's beautiful Viennese waltz, Louis was very adamant in his feelings of the dance. "Three 10s in my book on all accounts and I don't care what the judges say! Underscored!" he declared in his recap. Clearly, the pro and the judges don't agree, because the panel gave the football star a respectable 27, while Maria Menounos' paso doble got the first perfect 30 of the season.

Louis didn't agree with that either. (Team Louis! Maria's vampire bites were so cheesy they should've cost her at least one point!) In fact, the pro had quite the criticism for the TV personality. "I believe Maria is the lesser dancer of the remaining celebs," he wrote. Oh, burn! But he didn't stop there. "That routine is easier than the others and her movement is sometimes stiff."

We're going to say it right now: Make Louis a judge!

+ Reply to Thread