+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627 LastLast
Like Tree379Likes

Thread: 4/9 DWTS 14 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 4/9 DWTS 14 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by lizardcat View Post
    It's a reference to "Spinal Tap," a fake documentary about a rock band in the early '80s. It's one of my favorite movies ever, but it's a pretty rock-geek reference. If they were really trying to be faithful to the genre, I would have preferred the band just get the lyrics right.
    Thanks! I knew what Spinal Tap was, but unfortunately I've never seen it. Maybe I was blind, but I saw it being lowered onto the dance floor while Tom was talking (and he commented on it), but I never saw it during Derek's dance. That's the part I was a bit confused about. Where did it go and why was it there in the first place? Weird!
    Debb70 likes this.

I finally got to watch live for the first time this season. I would have been online with everyone but having computer problems at home. Oh well.

I wasn't impressed tonight. I think Donald was the best last night. I do think Rosale (?sp?) is good but he still has some growing up to do. I would be surprised if he isn't pulling in the votes though. I watch Disney a lot and listen to radio Disney a lot (I have a 5 and 10yo). Anyway, there are a lot of commercials about him on DWTS and about voting for him. Tons!!!

What is up with so many injuries!! And Derek's partner having a bruised rib and now fractured feet. She needs to take some calcium to build up her bones. She is good and I like her but seems fragile.

I like Mark's partner but why oh why does she have to be with Mark??!!?!?!?
    karalott and Florimel like this.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

So they give the most impossible song to dance to (Bohemian Rhapesedy) to the weakest dancer (Gladys). Who picked this song, the band, the dancers? The moment they announced the song I knew it would be a disaster--too difficult for the singers, impossible for Gladys to dance to. To make it worse, the beginning was messed up because they tried to superimpose video of the judges singing with transition to the band, which was out of sync with the video. So not only was that portion of the song difficult to dance to, they had to start with band/video out of sync. I have to give Gladys and Tristan credit for not complaining. While I think it is time for Gladys to go this is a bad way to go.

Otherwise just a few comments.

William: I have never been that impressed with his dancing so not completely surprised he had trouble with the Jive. He actually started the dance very well but once he had the major problem he never got back into it.

Roshon: Must be getting too old, can't appreciate his dances. I've liked other young dancers on the show but something about him makes it hard to take him seriously.

Gavin: I like this guy's modesty and fact that he is gradually improving each week. I'd like to see him survive yet another bottom 2. If he can fix his posture he could stay a few weeks.

Final 3 prediction: Derek & Maria, Mark & Katherine, Donald & Kim. This assumes that Maria can recover from some of the injuries. That would be an all-star final as far as the Pros. If you swap William & Cheryl for one couple it is still all-star pros.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    One more thing:
    What ever happened to Rock Music? These songs were older than the contestants. That's no exaggeration. I don't think any songs were from after 2000 & most were from the 70's, & a few the 60's.
    Even the special guests, Kiss. They've been around since before most of the dancers & contestants were born.
    That's because they didn't make rock music after 2000!
    Florimel and Moontat like this.

Gavin: I like this guy's modesty and fact that he is gradually improving each week. I'd like to see him survive yet another bottom 2. If he can fix his posture he could stay a few weeks

Yes, I agree. He's so modest and he's improving. I like him. I don't know if his fans are watching this show?
    Midol likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I was working all night, finally getting to watch the show...

Poor Gladys -- she's a complete victim in this rock night. Worst possible song to tango to, the band was so awful, and Tristan seemed just as lost out there as she did.

Donald kicked butt -- and Peta really established herself as a fierce choereographer. Personally I'm not a football fan so I'm not as thrilled when a jock wins a season, but I guess I better brace myself for it to happen again.

Big oopsie for William, and he never recovered from it. I never saw Cheryl lose her shoe. He doesn't need to worry though, his fanbase will always carry him through -- maybe too far. Plus the judges ridiculously overscored him.

I hope Melissa is okay. She always seems to be unable to convey an emotion on the floor other than flustered/breathless/trying to keep up.

I'm officially sick of Roshon's cutesy act. He's too old to be precocious, there's another word for it once a kid grows up. He's too skinny and lanky to lead a ballroom dance, he needs about 5 more years of life, some protein powder and a weight set. The judges made me sick with their fawning comments, especially C-A's Disney plug. What dance did they watch? So overscored it was criminal.

I laughed at the ode to Spinal Tap before Maria/Derek's dance. Nice touch with mini-Stonehenge. Maria had the same problem as all the other paso dancers other than Donald -- they were so concerned with doing a correct paso that there was no room for the rock element. I think that male celebs have a huge advantage over female celebs with the paso, because most female celebs aren't able to have themselves thrown around like a ragdoll like Peta or another pro could. I have to admit, it was quite overscored by the judges.

Gavin sees the writing on the wall (he's the exception to everything I said above about the paso, lol). He and Gladys will be bottom 2, the other celebs can sleep tonight -- unless Melissa or Maria drops out due to injury.

Sherri and Katherine were overscored, not much more I care to say about them. Eh.

Edit to add: Whatever the real story is with Jaleel, I was really impressed with his dance tonight. Good job.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 04-10-2012 at 09:37 AM.
    Alexxxx and AlwaysVeg like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I can't remember what celeb it was, but a few seasons back, a celeb poked fun at the fact that the judges went on and on about how improved they were, and they wound up getting the exact same score they did the week before. [snipped]
    This is because the scores only have meaning in relationship to the other scores. It's who has the highest score in that one particular competition that's important. It's not like a medical test where if you have a cholesterol test score of 290, that's your score no matter what your competition does. The dance scores will be scored in relation to the first dance. If the first dance is scored a 7, and the next dance is a step above, it will get an 8. If the first dance had been scored an 8, and the next dance is a step above, it will get a 9. It's not like an 8 or 9 has a specific meaning in terms of level of competence.

The first up is often at a disadvantage (this happens in ice skating judging as well) because the judges often lose sight of the first performance as the standard and the baseline drifts upward. Let's say the first performance is judged a 7. Then midway through the competition, a dance is not as good as the first, but not a full step down, say a 6.5. The judges could go with 6s or 7s and award that dance a 7. It's not as good as the first, but it's still a 7. Then subsequent dances are judged against the second 7.

And with Carrie and Bruno who seem to award points for

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer View Post
    Hey, I didn't see any anonymosity or anger between Kym and Jaleel. I think the story last week was garbage.
    I didn't think we would. Kym is a professional. I am not so sure that whole thing wasn't blown way way out of proportion. He seems to have a temper, but his dancing was quite good .I guess it remains to be seen if his fans are still behind him and vote for him this week.

:0 )
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

I bet we're headed for a William/Katherine finale, accompanied by either Donald or Maria. Jaleel is a good dancer, but not sweet enough in the public eye. I notice he seldom claps when the other dancers have finished their routine and his recent media attention won't help garner him votes. Roshon is another good dancer, but not well-known enough to overtake the others in the public votes.

The rest of the dancers, while decent enough, will not surpass William/Katherine/Donald/Maria in votes. Just my opinion tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo47 View Post
    I bet we're headed for a William/Katherine finale, accompanied by either Donald or Maria. Jaleel is a good dancer, but not sweet enough in the public eye. I notice he seldom claps when the other dancers have finished their routine and his recent media attention won't help garner him votes. Roshon is another good dancer, but not well-known enough to overtake the others in the public votes.

The rest of the dancers, while decent enough, will not surpass William/Katherine/Donald/Maria in votes. Just my opinion tho.
    I dont know if Katherine will make it that far( I hope she does) I think William has a huge fan base, I am just not sure it's all about his dancing. I didn't notice that Jaleel doesn't applaud the others , OTOH I did notice Mark did. Perhaps the pros are more apt to applaud one another.
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread