+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Like Tree207Likes

Thread: 4/2 DWTS 14 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 4/2 DWTS 14 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I have no idea what Jaleel was talking about, though I recall him playing Eukel as a child. The entire story seemed odd and hardly fitting for the way he used it. After the dance, he seemed to realize how lame the story was so he tried to bolster it by having that emotional breakdown. That was my take on it.
    I didn't get it at all. Child stars have had troubles later in life , he wouldn't be the first or the last if the rumor was true. Looking on a few sites, he has been accused of abuse before. So, who knows .The two of them seemed off kilter last night imho.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Hmmm...I know the show has had controversial stars before, but have they ever had this situation? Maybe they're trying to figure out how to handle it and/or the lawyers are working on it now. I would hope that if he was genuinely abusive, he'd be kicked off immediately. But if he was just "difficult," it's probably harder to boot him out when he's under contract.

I personally love this week, with it's emotional connections for (most of!) the people. I don't particularly care for other dance shows. I finally figured out that to watch the dancers I need to know more about them. I usually could care less about the results show dances, or the troupe. It has to be breath-taking for me to care if I don't 'know' the performers. I'm excited about tonight's results show because I know I *love* to watch Anna and Jonathan dance together. Anna always dances beautifully but there is something extra special when she dances with Jonathan.

I loved Jack back in his General Hospital days as Frisco. Not loving him so much on this show. I wish he hadn't done whatever he did to his face because I don't like it. I thought this dance was good, but not great, and not really worthy of 8's. I did like his story and did think he really was that emotional.

I nearly always love Derek's choreography and this was no exception. I didn't even mind the slowed down version of Material Girl. I never like when any of the rumbas throw in rolling around on the floor. IMO it always skews a little past sensual and into raunchy. Instead of being a vertical show it becomes a horizontal show.

I enjoy watching Roshon dance. I don't know anything about him, but he seems to be very happy. Both Roshon and Gladys make me smile when I watch them. They glow from the inside out and it's infectious.

I get that William is sexy and all that but I thought he was over-scored last night. Truthfully I thought a lot of them were over-scored. But it's about the emotional connection and maybe they gave them points for that to begin with. If that's the case it would explain the scores a little better.

Katherine is so sweet. I don't really care for Mark, but she's making me want to vote for her despite him! She's a beautiful dancer. I was moved to tears myself by her story.

Donald also moved me to tears. So heartfelt. What an incredible friend he must be. I've enjoyed his dancing from the beginning.

IMO Jaleel's crying was disingenuous. I didn't know what that was all about and thought he was faking it to compete with some of the others who had genuinely cried. Then I logged on and read reports of the arguments with Kym. Weird.

Well I have to say that the judges have succeeded beyond their wildest imaginations at making themselves irrelevant this season. By starting so high and leaving themselves nowhere to go, they have clumped all the stars together in the scoring again.

This show is looking less like ballroom this season than ever. While the standard of movement and performance is higher than it has ever been the adherence to the the spirit of the ballroom dances has never been lower. I blame the pros for this and also the judges for not calling them out on it. Maybe they've given up on ballroom and decided to compete head-to-head with "So you think you can dance". Almost every routine I saw tonight would have qualified as a freestyle in earlier seasons.

I didn't get a chance to see the whole show last night because I had to work through the last part of it, so I didn't vote either. I do have some observations to share:

Maria & Derek - Great movement, but since when has a rumba been done horizontally?

Gavin & Karina - Best improvement. Gavin really moved well. He let go of his inhibitions and let his musicality take over.

Roshon & Chelsie - Very erratic. Roshon was not in control of his limbs.

Katherine & Mark - Beautiful, song, beautiful line, beautiful movement, beautiful expression . . . it wasn't a waltz. Waltzes are done to 3/4 time signature music. "To where you are" is 4/4 time. This was a flowing freestyle with waltz like movements. I blame Mark. He should know better. I also blame the judges for not calling them on it. Bruno & CA are clueless, but Len should have said something - he knows. This was really overmarked.
    Florimel, ness and Midol like this.

Len did say something.
    Midol likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Len did say something.
    I agree that he said something, but he didn't say enough, and he awarded the dance with a 9. I truly love Katherine, and I want her to win, but Mark's fast and loose interpretation of the rules could sabotage that in the end. I am looking at Len to really slap him upside the head.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    I agree that he said something, but he didn't say enough, and he awarded the dance with a 9. I truly love Katherine, and I want her to win, but Mark's fast and loose interpretation of the rules could sabotage that in the end. I am looking at Len to really slap him upside the head.
    I dont think anyone danced properly last night. It seemed a jumbled mix of freestyle and sob stories, maybe next week will be better? I enjoyed some of it, others not so much. In the end its all about entertainment.The average person watching knows nothing about dance, scores, or lifts. they just love the dancing.
    -Andy Rooney-

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I only saw about the last 2/3 of Katherine and Mark's dance last night. (I'll watch the whole show today.). I flipped over to it to see if anything was happening. I couldn't tell who the dancers were at first. I thought the woman was the pro and was trying to figure out who the male was. I thought the male looked pretty good except his movements (especially his arm movements) looked exaggerated and all over the place. Then I realized it was Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    This week was much better than last week, which actually surprised me. With the samba, jive, and a bunch of rumbas, I figured this season would continue on a downward spiral. And the only downside to this show anymore are the 3 babbling stooges with their overscoring, over/under praising, lack of actual constructive criticism, OTT theatrics, and embarrassing declarations of love and not knowing their history or what they're talking about. What's the point of them again? Because they're worthless. And pointless.

I hate to say it, but I'm most worried for Melissa tomorrow. I hate the thought of even losing Maks this early But her dance wasn't too hot. And I don't really think it's so much tension and nerves on the floor, although I think that's part of it. She seemed more loose tonight, and to have fun, and I think she and Maks are having fun together. But the judges suddenly love her dance, as they did everyone tonight, and there's no wiggle room in regards to her score and half the cast. Jack and Gavin didn't do as horribly as I thought, and I'd be slightly surprised for either of them to go tomorrow. But they'd be my next guess. Jack didn't murder the samba as I thought. He seems a tad gangly and like he needs better control of his limbs, but aside from that, I thought he did a pretty good job for that dance. And he's a lot of fun and just cutting loose out there. This is the best I've seen Gavin do so far. Being in the bottom 2 last week, and having a really good performance this week, may help him stick around. He still doesn't do anything for me, though, so I could care less if he went home.

I feel like deja vu all over again with Katherine/Mark. It's just like Kristi/Mark. They've been the consistant leaderboard toppers, and one week someone will topple them and Tom will make a big deal over it (and Brooke will the next time someone else gets 10s). I knew that score was coming for her tonight. She's lovely, she's a fabulous dancer, and I can relate to her story tonight more than anyone elses, but I think she's a tad overrated. If she's worth a 10 now, will she just be getting perfect scores from now until the end? And is this their way of giving Mark a third trophy? William, as gorgeous as he is, and he did amazing tonight, I also feel like they're propping up to keep in for the long haul. Unknowns that were surprises like Gilles and Kyle felt more natural, not like they needed the judges undying love and praise and high scores and pimp spots to stay in every week. Not to say Gilles didn't get his fair share of those, but again, it just feels like the show is pushing too hard. I love Maria, and I don't often compliment Derek (or the rumba) but that will go down as one of my favorites of that dance. I don't think any dance deserved a 9 or 10 tonight, but that would have been the dance I would have given 10s to. I think Donald is being robbed in the scores. I have to think he's running away with the fan votes for them to love him that much but score him the way they do. And it's not a shabby score, but between Katherine and Maria, he should have tied one of them.

I don't know if Gladys got 3 8s for being Gladys or what, but I enjoyed her performance the least tonight. I'm giving Jaleel the benefit of the doubt with all this drama, because it's so easy for stuff to spread online and blow up. Many pros and celebs have complained about that in the past, and even blamed TPTB for airing footage that happened weeks ago but choose to make it seem like they're having trouble with their partner when they really aren't. I'm sure that footage is coming next week. Or the show will issue a statement. Either way, I don't know if it was as dramatic as reported. And I don't exactly trust US Weekly. But I really hate story week. Glad it's over. They need new singers, because those people aren't even bad, they're beyond bad, terrible, horrible. I can't even believe they think they can sing or the show doesn't hear anything wrong with them.

I too am worried for Melissa as I would like to see her stick around.

As for the William show ... did anyone catch the look on Derek's face when William and Cheryl scored one point higher than he and Maria did? The extra point was for the booty shaking and bare chest I guess.
    Jaceegirl likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Katherine and Mark were fabulous, her story talking about her father got to me more than any other. I had to fly to the UK when my father was in an hospice, I know I couldn't ( still) talk about it then dance. Bravo to them.Elegant and fabulous

Derek and Marie, Derek can make his partner look like they have danced for several weeks , not just three. Wonderful ,sensual, and so well done. I rewound it three times to watch it. Excellent couple .

William and Cherly I liked it, I didnt find it as great at the judges did. Somehow as sexy as this man is, it seems like its forced at times I saw him button his shirt as he walked up to see Brooke,he can dance . no need for all this sexiness.

Jaleel and Kym.It was good, he can dance, I didnt get the crying at the end, I know he is glad this week is over, its a stressful time for them all ( and emotional)

Gavin and Karina I like him, he's gentle, and he 's a gentleman. I hope he doesn't go tommorw night

Val and Sherri I admit to tears when she spoke of her son, she might not be everyone's cup of tea, but she loves her boy. I thought she danced well, she's really trying.Val is very good with her.

Gladys and TristanWere good, not great.

Jack and Anna,I didnt like the song, or the costumes. Something has not clicked with this couple(as a couple) I dont feel a connection

Donald and Petra I find myself loving his dancing more each week.

Roshon and Chelsea He just makes me smile, I dont know if its his youthful exuberance, or his love of MJ tonight. I really enjoyed this kid, and Chelsie is so good

It was a good evening. I cant choose who goes home.
    You forgot to comment on Melissa and Maks. I guess they were unimpressive as I notice many haven't mentioned them. I think if they stick around, they really need to do something to draw some positive attention.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread