+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Like Tree349Likes

Thread: 3/26 DWTS 14 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 3/26 DWTS 14 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    She is not a 10th as bad as KG! In any other season she would probably be in the middle of the pack - this time there are so many talented dancers I think she will be the first to go .
    And 300% better than Master P!! He lasted several weeks!
    jucamer likes this.

I suspected that this week would start to separate the wheat from the chaff and I was right. The jive and the quickstep are 2 very difficult dances for this early in the season. I didn't expect any of the couples to look better than last week which had easier dances, and therefore was pleasantly surprised with the performances of Katherine, Roshon, Maria, Donald and William. I agree that the judging was all over the map this week and was particularly disappointed with the score given to Gladys Knight. I am in general agreement with most of the comments already posted so I won't go back over stuff already said. I do have a couple of additional comments though.

Martina & Tony - I think it is time for Martina to go - she just doesn't have the musicality for this show, but I think that her poor showing is partly Tony's fault. I've always been a fan of Tony's but I think his choreography has gone downhill in recent seasons. I have always hated the fawning around the judges table gimmick. I have the utmost respect for Martina's talent on the tennis court and always enjoyed how committed she was on the court. Perhaps a background in tennis doesn't translate well to the ballroom. Monica Seles didn't do well on this show either.

Production values - Why is it that some numbers are just put out there on the floor while others get the full treatment of props, backdrops and lighting? Do the pros have the ability to request these things or are the show's producers adding these elements. I actually prefer a dance that isn't so over-produced. It distracts away from the dancing too much.

Ringer Status - I do not believe that Katherine deserves to be called a ringer. She had little dance experience prior to the show and what she had was not in ballroom. I do believe she has talent, is very fit, and is working her but off to look good out there. I read that she is continuing a regimen of running as much as 5 miles a day while training the dances. That kind of work really pays off. If anyone deserves the title of ringer it is Roshon who is a hip-hop dancer on a Disney dance show.

Screaming Fangirls - Why is it that the women in the audience scream their lungs out over the hot guys on the show and get away with it? If the guys did the same over the hot girls they would be labeled sexist pigs in an instant. All the screaming also distracts the performers who are trying to concentrate on what they are doing and makes it difficult to follow the beat in the music - especially when it is done during the dance.

Brooke - I actually think that Brooke has improved this season. While she is still not at a level I would like to see, I don't find her as annoying as I sometimes have in past seasons.

It will be interesting to see who goes home tonight. By my scorecard it should be Martina. The other celebrity I think may be in jeopardy is Gavin. I think he is in greater jeopardy because I think a large part of his fanbase may be watching "The Voice" on NBC instead of this show. I think that this will hurt a lot of the singers this year.

FORT Fogey

During the show last nite, there was a preview clip for the news saying "guess which female pro is hooking up with her partner... we'll tell you at..." (paraphrased). Who is this? Do Cheryl & Chelsie have boyfriends? I know, it's gossip and not dancing, sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    Martina is definitely not a good dancer, but I don't think she's nearly as bad as some people are saying. She's certainly not Kate Gosselin "walk through the dance like a zombie" bad, and I can think of many dancers over the years that were worse than she is during their first weeks. I don't think she'll last long, but I do like her attitude, and I say "good on her" for trying.
    I agree. She's not bad but when you are in a season with a ton of good dancers, then you have to take that into consideration. This season, Martina and Jack are the worst. However, in any other season they would probably be the middle of the pack.
    jucamer and Jaceegirl like this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Production values - Why is it that some numbers are just put out there on the floor while others get the full treatment of props, backdrops and lighting? Do the pros have the ability to request these things or are the show's producers adding these elements. I actually prefer a dance that isn't so over-produced. It distracts away from the dancing too much.

Screaming Fangirls - Why is it that the women in the audience scream their lungs out over the hot guys on the show and get away with it? If the guys did the same over the hot girls they would be labeled sexist pigs in an instant. All the screaming also distracts the performers who are trying to concentrate on what they are doing and makes it difficult to follow the beat in the music - especially when it is done during the dance.

DancingDad sorry I shortened the post because these were the things that I wanted to address.

With regard to the production values I include the costumes and the music selection. I often wonder how these are assigned because many a time over the years the song choices have been terrible for particular dances and dancers. Sometimes I pity the pros having to dance to some of them and it rarely, if ever, is one of the 'favoured' dancers assigned a bad song for their dance, while the ones that you know the judges dislike and want to get rid of regularly seem to get shafted.

As for the screaming fan girls...I will include CA and Bruno in that group! I would like to strap them in their seats so they can't get up. That might contain some of the fawning they do over some of these people. If it was truly over the dance I might be better able to tolerate it, but unfortunately, it is often over how revealing the costume is, how well they shook whatever required shaking or just hot they think that star is. This then just feeds into some of the fans who seem to be protesting the scores more and more by screaming and booing. Too bad they don't really judge the merits of the dance since I never see them booing that a score is too high which is much more the case then people being underscored. This is why, no matter what, I prefer Len. He may be grumpy, buy generally his scores are much more reflective of the actual dancing merits and technique.
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

Brooke - I actually think that Brooke has improved this season. While she is still not at a level I would like to see, I don't find her as annoying as I sometimes have in past seasons.
    She has definitely loosened up.I agree, she is not as annoying as she was.

I prefer Len. He may be grumpy, buy generally his scores are much more reflective of the actual dancing merits and technique.
    I like Len, he has a quick wit about him. Sitting between CA and Bruno, I might be a tad grumpy though
    DancingDad, Midol and Jaceegirl like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I just can't get over Gladys. The woman does not look her age nor does she move like it. She may not be the best dancer but she ain't bad! I would have loved to see her try this 20-30 years ago. Tristan seems to be enjoying her, too. After what he got stuck with last season, I'm sure he's in heaven right about now.

William..sure, he's sexy but what gets me is how humble he is.

I miss Lacey. I think she would have been the perfect partner for Jaleel.
    Midol likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Just to comment on the ringer status of Katherine. She actually has been singing AND dancing since high school, appearing in such plays as Guys and Dolls. Also, With Darcey Bussell she has appeared in a stage song-and-dance production, entitled Viva la Diva, paying tribute to stars including Madonna and Judy Garland. The show opened in Manchester in November 2007. Jenkins learned to tap dance, spending eight hours a week learning the choreography and running three miles a day to get fit. So to say she has little dance experience prior to the show isn't really correct. The fact that she has been trained professionally in tap, gives her a huge leg up on the competition this season.
    jucamer and Midol like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

I typed this before reading mesachick's comment so was unaware of Katherine's prior dancing. These were my thoughts of last night's show.

I have not read all the comments before this page, but DancingDad I have to say I totally agree with what you have posted. I think I mentioned I danced myself for 20 years and these are just some of my thoughts. I think it is important to have dancing ability along with personality. For me based on two nights of dancing I would have to give the highest mark for a female to Katherine. She has the whole package, the dancing ability and she looks like she is enjoying herself.

I agree with you that Maria improved a lot over her first dance of last week. For the men I would give the highest mark to Roshon for the same reason I gave Katherine the highest for the female dancers. I thought William and Donald did very well, but not quite as high as Roshon. I would not consider Roshon a ringer even if he has some hip hop experience. That is very different than ballroom dancing. Hip hop is more free style IMO.

I agree that Martina is the one who should go. In another season that might not be the case as evidenced by last season when dancers stayed in much too long and she is better than they were. I was very annoyed with all the screaming going on before William hit the floor and that does include Carrie and Bruno carrying on. They are suppose to be judging the dancing, not the sex appeal of a dancer. I do think Len did his job except do agree that he scored Gladys a bit low. She is remarkable at her age and clearly is having a great time.

Just a few more observations would be to hope that Melissa would look like she is having more fun while dancing. She does not appear to be quite comfortable yet. On the other hand even though she messed up a bit, I think Sherri had a lot of fun. I was very impressed by Jaleel his first dance, but was disappointed in his jive.

I do think Len did his job except do agree that he scored Gladys a bit to low. I think that Gavin or Jack could be in jeopardy for the men based on the talent this season. Jack seems like he is doing the right stuff, but it just doesn't flow quite right. Again, in another season both may have fared better. I have no idea what anyone's fan base is so am not sure who will end up going home. I have seen great dancers leave far to early based on their fan base which does not seem fair, but is the way it turns out.

Just want to make an apology for repeating myself twice in my post. Thought I had backed it out, but obviously did not. When I noticed it I had exceeded my time limit for fixing it.

+ Reply to Thread