+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132333435363738 LastLast
Like Tree475Likes

Thread: 3/19 DWTS14 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 3/19 DWTS14 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Has anyone ever seen a season of this show where talent was the main criteria for voting, and popularity wasn't? (ahemBristolPalin!)
    Popularity will always be a factor as long as the general public (most of whom are not professional ballroom dancers) is voting. What I have noticed is that every year, someone good gets booted a little too early and one or two someones might stay a little long to the party because of fanbase. Aside from Bristol, which was a whole separate issue - I generally think at the end, the best dancers remain. Because of that, I am generally happy and can deal with the little snags week to week.

I agree that good dancers usually remain in the final 2 but they are often not the best dancers of the season. I think specifically about Sabrina Bryan who was booted early in season 6.
    Alexxxx, Midol, Fanny Mare and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    I agree that good dancers usually remain in the final 2 but they are often not the best dancers of the season. I think specifically about Sabrina Bryan who was booted early in season 6.
    Agreed, which is why I said "generally". There are always exceptions. And it's not always the best dancer who wins. At the end of the day, this is an entertainment show, so I want to be entertained. Gilles, Ty Murray, JR, Kyle Massey - those people entertained me. Others who may have been the best technical dancers - Stacy Keibler and Brooke Burke (at least for her season) are the first two that come to mind - were not as entertaining to me and I didn't enjoy their performances as much. It is some combination of dancing and entertainment value that I think ultimately results in the winner.
    Last edited by KatesMom; 03-21-2012 at 02:19 PM.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Agreed, which is why I said "generally". There are always exceptions. And it's not always the best dancer who wins. At the end of the day, this is an entertainment show, so I want to be entertained. Gilles, Ty Murray, JR, Kyle Massey - those people entertained me. Others who may have been the best technical dancers - Stacy Keibler and Brooke Burke (at least for her season) are the first two that come to mind - were not as entertaining to me and I didn't enjoy their performances as much. It is some combination of dancing and entertainment value that I think ultimately results in the winner.
    I think you are right, it is a combination .I did not enjoy Kirsty very much But looked where she finshed, and her dancing wasn't THAT great. But, for many she was enjoyable and entertaining. I am glad she didnt win, the winner was a good dancer and entertained as well
    Jaceegirl likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    Wow. This is his 'restrained'? I'm not sure if I can handle it....
    This is where having a DVR comes in so handy.. I cannot stand Bruno
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I thought Stacey was entertaining, but if she were to be in a current season, I might not think so anymore. Brooke I found forgettable, and since her participation on the show likely is the reason she got the co-hosting job, I despise the fact she was ever even on the show. Nicole, Mya, Brooke, Joanna... I loved Ty Murray, Louie Vito, Kyle, Gilles, Kirstie, Lisa Rinna, Jennie Garth...even if they weren't the overall best, I still find their attitudes and joy of being there more entertaining than one of the ringers or overscored favorites. In the end, with all the talk of how America should vote based on the best dancer, I think the judges can equally be at fault. The fact that they were giving people like Chaz, Kate, and Bristol the scores they were when people better than them were getting equal or less (whether it be individual or overall) makes me think they can't really whine when a better dancer goes home. I have a feeling that better dancers, as always, will leave this season, and someone that was good runs out of steam but sticks around for entertainment reasons (or the fact they're more well known). They say vote for your favorite dancer, and since the only prize here is 15 minutes of fame (which this particular cast doesn't really need) and a crappy mirrorball trophy, I don't feel too bad if the absolute ringiest ringer doesn't win.
    KatesMom and Jaceegirl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BTW View Post
    Loved so many tonight. Doubt my favorites need the votes. I think Martina is in jeopardy. I gave her most of my votes.
    That is the perfect formula for shocking eliminations of favorites.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Please get rid of these 3 buffoons (judges) and bring in real dance judges. Maybe Len can stay, but between CarrieAnn gushing over the one man (and I didn't feel the same, just another guy) and Bruno going overboard and totally negating everything he says by his dramatics, I cannot stand to watch. It's not entertaining, and I don't care for the camerahog techniques. It's just plain stupid.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

^^^ I was just saying to my mother today the reason I thought ratings are down is due to CA and Bruno.
    Midol, Fanny Mare, Daisoo and 1 others like this.

The main thing I enjoyed Monday night was that this season has no ringers or people who do dancing or choreographing for a living. I loved the fact that there isn't a lemon in the bunch, but no one with an unfair advantage either. Plus no stunt casting.
    I finally got fed up & quit watching a few seasons ago because of this. I only tuned in rarely when there was nothing else on & I felt like watching TV. I think the season with Nicole S (the Pussycat Doll) was the one that put me over the edge. She had a nice personality, & no doubt tried hard, but had no business on this show. It was like using Cheryl Burke as a contestant.

I'm glad it's back to the original intention this season. And I'm back too!
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread