+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: Jaleel White & Kym Johnson - Season 14

Re: Jaleel White & Kym Johnson - Season 14

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I think he will be gone this week reagrdless of how he dances
    This week? He already survived this week - decent scores and enough votes despite the story coming out. I look for his to remain fo quite awhile longer. I don't hink next week will be a problem for him.

FORT Fogey

Sorry my post wasn't clear...obviously he is survived the 4/2-3 vote. The story just began to come out. I betting that the 4/9-10 vote will send him packing. Hope that helps.
    maude~flanders likes this.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I agree. Where there's THIS MUCH smoke, there's got to be some fire. And they LOVE to show the little blow-ups. If this was "no big deal," why didn't they show it?
    Probably because it WAS "no big deal", so it wouldn't make for good TV. As far as the "no smoke without fire" - when it comes to the paparazzi, I don't believe their "smoke" for a minute. I mean, good grief, how many times has Jennifer Aniston been pregnant in the last several years???!! These guys are in the business of selling stories, whether they are true or not.
    Allie likes this.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    Wait! Wait! I just read he was mad because they wouldn't let that character die. He was upset because the show was trying to force him to play that part in his dances. But now, now he's upset because Kym was failing to capture the essence of Stephan. Although he is quoted as telling another reporter that he wanted to distance himself from the character but the show wouldn't let him.

So tell us, Jaleel/Steven/Stephan....which is it? Stop with this double-speak, it definitely is not making you look better. Now not only are you a jerk with anger management issues but now you are also a liar.

Wow.

I kind of thought that maybe he was having issues with being ridden about Urkel by the producers (see my post in the 4/3 Results thread). He obviously HATES Urkel. I think he caved in and finally agreed to do Stephan (sp?) just to shut the producers up and get them off his back. But, again, Stephan IS an offshoot of Urkel, so he was pissed about even doing HIM, most likely.

And as for getting upset with Kym because she was "failing to capture the essence of Stephan"?

I can see that happening. I remember hearing/reading that when Urkel took off and Jaleel became the greatest thing since sliced bread, white hot for a time, he also became a total diva and started smelling himself on the FM set.

Since he apparently is such a controlling personality and he created the Stephan character, sure, he'd have NO problem nuttin' up and going off if he felt Kym was "failing to capture the essence of Stephan" as HE thought the character should be captured, even though SHE was the choreographer.

The Urkel/Stephan thing may or may not have been what finally tipped his apple cart over, but whether or not that was it . . .

I think the dude possibly has problems that need to be addressed and dealt with.

JMHO.
    Last edited by ness; 04-05-2012 at 08:03 PM.
    jucamer likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I kind of thought that maybe he was having issues with being ridden about Urkel by the producers (see my post in the 4/3 Results thread). He obviously HATES Urkel. I think he caved in and finally agreed to do Stephan (sp?) just to shut the producers up and get them off his back. But, again, Stephan IS an offshoot of Urkel, so he was pissed about even doing HIM, most likely.
    I haven't read or heard anything about the producers 'riding' him.

I don't think the producers forced him to choose "playing Stephan Urquelle" as the most memorable year of his life. I though it was a dumb choice, and, if he hates Urkel so much then why choose a character connected to Urkel as "the most memorable"?
    Last edited by tango7; 04-05-2012 at 08:46 PM.
    mesachick and jucamer like this.

No offense to anyone here ... but I am reading this thread and thinking we are giving whatever character he is waaaaay too much attention.

If he wants to "distance" himself why are his "boys" there rooting for him? I think the best thing for all concerned would be for him to dance next Monday, and then respectfully request his own departure for "personal/family matters". This can all be resolved with some dignity.
    jucamer likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by tango7 View Post

I don't think the producers forced him to choose "playing Stephan Urquelle" as the most memorable year of his life. I though it was a dumb choice, and, if he hates Urkel so much then why choose a character connected to Urkel as "the most memorable"?
    Well, Wendy Williams has come flat out and said that the producers wanted her to behave in a certain way and she refused. And, she went home early. So, I can easily image the producers wanting to play up and push the old Urkle character. I can also see where Jaleel might be waaaaay tired of only being seen as the goofy doofus with the weird glasses. Family Matters ended 14 years ago, I'm sure that Jaleel wants to move on with his life and not have everyone think that "Urkle" was his reason for living. Other actors who have been famous for a particular character have the same problem.

I got the impression that Jaleel chose the Stephan character as a turning moment, because before that he was just seen as a geek - on and OFF camera. The FM producers took a chance and pulled a debonair character out of him that Jaleel didn't know existed. I can see that as being a turning point in someone's life. Jaleel even said that he began to be treated differently on the street after Stephan character. Before that, he was probably always someone that people laughed at.
    ness and fireflyer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tango7 View Post

As I said, the Urkel/Stefan thing may or may not have been what tipped his apple cart over.

However, IMHO, it's not too much of a stretch to imagine that, yep, the producers DID get him on as a draw to do a dance as Urkel. Frankly, that's what put him on the map in the first place, and, frankly, he hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire with any acting roles SINCE then, IIRC.

But, Urkel IS what he's remembered for, now isn't it??

Using logic and garden-variety common sense, Jaleel doing a dance as Urkel WOULD be just too perfect for the producers to ignore. Sure, he said he came on wanting to do the show for his mother (who apparently loves DWTS). But, he ALSO came on saying he did NOT want to do a dance as Urkel. And once he signed on the dotted line, how can anyone figure that --- at some point --- the producers would NOT broach that subject? I mean, it's the pink, polka-dotted elephant in the room, so to speak.

Dumb choice? IMHO, I think him choosing to do a tribute to the year he first started doing the Stefan character, is, frankly, rather insulting to his child, and/or his mom, at the very least. Most logical people, I think, would've chosen something connected to their child, or mom, a friend or sib, or whoever.

Sure, he hates the Urkel character. I've heard him say it on several occasions because he says he was type cast after playing it. I also seem to remember a clip of him going down the hall backstage at DWTS saying something to the effect of: "I don't revisit my characters!"

Uh, really?

Then why did he revisit ANY Urkel/Urquelle at ALL, then, on Personal Dance Night?

And, again, just who was it that came ON announcing that he'd NOT be doing a dance as Urkel?

Don't think that was Donald.

So, looks like Buddy is talking out of both sides of his mouth, to me, because his words and his actions are not matching up.

And, why choose a character connected to Urkel as being responsible for the "most memorable year of his life"?

That's not too much of a stretch, for me . . .

Urkel was, of course, the over-the-top, stereotypical nerd. Glasses the size of Texas, high-water pants, suspenders, a high, nasal voice, etc. And, eventually, we find out the nerd comes up with an alter ego who's the EXACT OPPOSITE of our boy, Steve. Stefan dresses well, DOESN'T wear glasses, suspenders, or high-water pants, makes successful moves on the ladies, is suave, has a voice in a normal male range for his age, etc., etc.

What actor WOULDN'T --- after playing Steve for a few years --- remember the year he started playing Stefan, Steve's flip side? Why? Because to do so allowed him to break away from the glasses, pants, etc., and allowed him to show he had more range as an actor and actually WAS capable of playing something other than an over-the-top nerd.

Of course, he also played Myrtle, but, them's the breaks, I guess.

And, personally I still wouldnt've picked the year I began to play Stefan as the most memorable year of my life to do a dance to, though.

Yet, he chose to do that, and I think he allowed doing so to get to him, and he blew. Do I think TPTB kept after him --- "RODE" him, to use my original wording --- about it 'til he caved in in a roundabout way and put Stefan out there, instead of Urkel? Yep.

Do I think the producers, TPTB, or however you want to refer to them, put a gun to his head and MADE him choose to do that?

Nope.

And, yep, I still think the dude possibly has problems that need to be addressed and dealt with.

JMHO.
    Last edited by ness; 04-05-2012 at 11:46 PM.
    Florimel likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    But, Urkel IS what he's remembered for, now isn't it??
    Now, see THAT would be enough to tip me over the edge. Nobody should be seen as that one dimensional. The show ended 14 years ago! Haven't you ever had an experience or done something in your life and, even though it's been YEARS later, people still bring it up and tease or taunt you with it? I know that I have a couple of things that I did 20 years ago (nothing horrible, but slightly embarrassing). When people bring them up AGAIN, I just want to sigh and ask them to get a life. And, I wasn't on national TV!
    ness likes this.

Well, Wendy Williams has come flat out and said that the producers wanted her to behave in a certain way and she refused. And, she went home early.
    Iím not understanding my Wendy Williamsí name keeps coming up in multiple threads this season. Personally, I donít attach importance (or credibility) to what she says or thinks. Wendy Williams was eliminated because she didnít get enough votes to stay in AND because she was a horrible dancer - period.

Back to the topic of Jaleel White:

Using logic and garden-variety common sense

Do I think the producers, TPTB, or however you want to refer to him put a gun to his head and MADE him choose to do that?

Nope.
    Agree about the gun. I don't even think it was suggested.

And, yep, I still think the dude possibly has problems that need to be addressed and dealt with.
    Probably, but that applies to most people.
    Last edited by tango7; 04-05-2012 at 11:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread