+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Katherine Jenkins & Mark Ballas - Season 14

Re: Katherine Jenkins & Mark Ballas - Season 14

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    Lord of the Overdance is back, and I'm sure tonight was just a preview of what's to come. I knew he wouldn't be able to hold it in for the jive. At least he's not the only pro wearing the annoying spats. If Katherine were more well known in the states, she'd probably get more of the ringer backlash. At least she's a ringer I'm learning to like. Can't say the same for her partner. I was hoping Mark was reverting back to his old self that we saw join the show in season 5, but I guess not. Katherine is lovely, though. If she's looking for a career boost stateside, I hope she gets it.
    I don't think the word "ringer" applies here or to any of the celebs this season, really. Just because she has dance talent it doesn't mean she's a ringer. Some people just have a natural aptitude. There's a big difference, IMO, between Katherine and someone like Nicole Scherzinger who makes her living dancing onstage (regardless of the style).

I'm not a Mark fan, but I think he simply got lucky this year. Do I wish Maks would get lucky with a partner like that? Absolutely! Unless there's something about Katherine background that I don't know - and all I know is that she took ballet, which is true of lots of girls - she's not a ringer. Sorry, I'm just sick of that word now after so many seasons.

In spite of myself, once again, I enjoyed their dance. Who knew a classical/opera singer would be able to move like that? I don't want Mark to win again, but I see them in the finals.
    Arielflies and DancingDad like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm not surprised that a classical singer could adapt to ballroom a little easier than, say, a pop singer. Part of the basic training of legitimate voice is diaphragmatic breathing, which is carried out through proper posture and a good carriage. Also, although Katherine is more of a concert singer than an opera star, I'm sure that opera training also involves some training in stage movement.

Having been a veteran of barnyard musicals, I could understand how anyone who has experience in musical theater or opera would already be aware of posture and carriage, and things like confidently keeping your head turned one way while your body is moving another.

I like Katherine and I like watching her dance. I just have to bite my lip every time she dances because I'm forced to give Mark the benefit of the doubt after years of being annoyed by his behavior on the show. The minute the spats are back, all bets are off!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

I thought she did fantastic. Unfortunately Mark couldn't hold back his antics Ugh. HATE HIM.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

I too object to the term "ringer" when applied to Katherine. She is no Mya or Nicole Scherzinger who made their living dancing. If anyone this season deserves the title it is Roshon. Katherine does seem to have natural ability and her musical background is definitely helping her. The term "Opera Singer" is really not the correct label for Katherine as I don't think she has ever performed in a professional opera. She is a classical crossover singer - think Andrea Boccelli or Josh Groban. She is classically trained and performs all genres of music, but is not an opera star. Her diverse background in music really helps her to relate to the moods of the dance. I was very pleasantly surprised with Katherine's performance in the Jive as I think it was more out of her comfort zone than the traditional ballroom styles.

I think Katherine is having good success on the show because she is highly committed and she is working her tail off. My understanding is that for the duration of the show she is 100% focused on learning her dances. This is in contrast with several other stars who continue their outside interests while training part time. I think the reason Katherine is so committed is that she sees this as her chance to make a name for herself in the US - the largest music market in the world. She is already a big success overseas, but is a virtual unknown here to everyone but diehard fans of the classical crossover genre (like me). If she can do well on the show more people will discover her music.
    Florimel and Arielflies like this.

Good post Dancing Dad
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

One final comment on the ringer label - If being a "ringer" means coming in with no prior experience and dedicating yourself to excellence and thereby succeeding, I wish we had more "ringers" on the show. It would be far more competitive and enjoyable.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I love her ebullience.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I posted this under the main show thread too, but Katherine has a background in both singing and dancing. With Darcey Bussell she has appeared in a stage song-and-dance production, entitled Viva la Diva, paying tribute to stars including Madonna and Judy Garland. The show opened in Manchester in November 2007. Jenkins learned to tap dance, spending eight hours a week learning the choreography and running three miles a day to get fit. Being professionally trained in tap, and performing professionally, definitely differs her from all the other contestants on the show this season. She is a beautiful girl though.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I posted this under the main show thread too, but Katherine has a background in both singing and dancing. With Darcey Bussell she has appeared in a stage song-and-dance production, entitled Viva la Diva, paying tribute to stars including Madonna and Judy Garland. The show opened in Manchester in November 2007. Jenkins learned to tap dance, spending eight hours a week learning the choreography and running three miles a day to get fit. Being professionally trained in tap, and performing professionally, definitely differs her from all the other contestants on the show this season. She is a beautiful girl though.
    I wasn't aware that this was in her background. I decided to look it up. It was a Broadway song and dance revue style show. It seems that as a novelty Katherine and Darcey decided to do a show together where they switched roles, with Katherine doing some of the dancing and Darcey doing some of the singing. It looks like it had a short run and a DVD was made of it. I haven't watched the DVD. I'm not surprised that Katherine trained hard for that role based on the effort she's put in on this show.

This would put Katherine in the same category as many of the other performers on the show. Most of the actors and actresses on this show have done similar levels of performance. It certainly does qualify as professional dance experience, although not in the same category as a Mya or a Nicole.

She is doing great, its not a knock against her or anything. I am just like some of the other viewers, I don't want to see such strong performances from the get go. What's the point of them being on the show other than to kind of show off? Honestly she's performing at a level that we normally don't see until the end of the season. I much prefer being able to see the stars benefit from the pro's teaching them, and watching them grow as the weeks go by. That's why I really loved Rob Kardashian last season. He was really bad at the start, but boy did he improve! But that's just me and what I enjoy about the show.
    combatcutie likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

+ Reply to Thread