+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Katherine Jenkins & Mark Ballas - Season 14

Re: Katherine Jenkins & Mark Ballas - Season 14

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfritter View Post
    Katherine, has extensive dance training background check her videos on YT, Believe tour and Viva La Diva tour, featuring her dancing Jazz, Tap and Broadway routines.
    The controversy seems to revolve around the "Viva La Diva" show that Katherine participated in a few years ago. I have the day off so I decided to look this up. There is a complete recording of the show in YouTube. If anyone wants to see they can search on " Katherine Jenkins Viva La Diva O2" to find it. Thanks for the tip because I really enjoy that type of show and enjoyed this show in particular. It was very well done.

In critiquing the show I would characterize it as a Broadway style song and dance revue. The two stars were Katherine and professional ballerina Darcy Bussell. It was pretty easy to pick out who the professional dancer was and who the professional singer was. It was actually quite enjoyable with excellent performances by both stars. The ladies did covers of famous numbers from stage and screen. Katherine covered material from Barbra Streisand, Edith Piaf, Marylin Monroe, Natalie Wood, etc.

Most of the dancing that Katherine did in the show would be characterized as stage movement as opposed to hard core dancing by anyone familiar with Broadway style theater. The most extensive dance that was done was tap dancing. Here is a list of the dance routines Katherine participated in:

La Vie En Rose - This routine was done while she was singing the song made famous by Edith Piaf. I would characterize this as light dance with some members of the dance chorus whom she interacted with during the singing. She did a few turns in waltz dance hold during the routine.

Let Me Entertain You - If any of you remember the finale from the Broadway show "Gypsy" this was a knock off of that routine. It was stage movement not hard core dance.

Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend - This is a knock off of the famous movie scene that Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russel did. Katherine sang and played the part of Marilyn. Once again, stage movement not hard core dance.

Habanera - Katherine sang this famous aria from Carmen. Part of the choreography involved some light flamenco kicks and stomps along with interaction with the male chorus dancers.

Everything old is New Again - This was the final piece in the show and the one in which she did the most dance. It was done by both leads together with the chorus. The dance was mostly tap style with a little jazz thrown in. Katherine did hold her own pretty well during this piece, although once again it was pretty easy to pick out the dance pro.

All in all I would say that this level of dance performance is pretty much in line with what most Broadway and movie musical performers do all the time. None of it involved a hard core dance role that might have been found in a musical like "Singing in the Rain". Most stage actors would be expected to dance with the same level of proficiency. Many of the pop singers that have appeared on this show have done as much or more dance as part of their stage shows and music videos. None of the numbers involved Ballroom or Latin style dance. If you wanted to disqualify contestants on the basis of this level of experience you would need to disqualify half of the contestants we've had on this show to date.

I do have to say that during the performance Katherine looked very comfortable on stage and moved very well. If you look at the video you can see that she has the basic talent to do very well on DwTS. If I had seen this video before the show I would have predicted that she would do well (and so would the odds makers have).
    Florimel, ness and Arielflies like this.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

So Mark apparently stepped in during the alleged Jaleel/Kym spat, and then had one of his own with his girlfriend (but as most drunken arguments, it ended well and they went home together):

Mark Ballas and Girlfriend in Nuclear Fight Over a Scooter and a Cigarette | TMZ.com

Mark Ballas and Girlfriend
    In NUCLEAR Fight
    Over a Scooter and a Cigarette Exclusive

Mark Ballas and his girlfriend got in a 6 minute, alcohol-fueled fight over Mark's unforgivable sin -- smoking a cigarette after promising to quit.

The altercation flared up outside Playhouse nightclub in Hollywood just after midnight Tuesday. We're told Tiffany Dunn was outraged that Mark had broken a deal they had -- she agreed to sell her scooter after injuring herself in an accident, and in return he agreed to quit smoking. But one of Tiffany's friends caught Mark inhaling, blabbed to her and fireworks erupted.

Tiffany screams mid-argument, "You're such a d**k when you drink." For his part, Mark tells Tiff, "You can cry me a river for all I care, and you can swim in it."

Mark tells Tiffany, "You punched me in face 3 times today." She responds, "I was dancing."

Tiffany thinks Mark's fibbing about smoking is a gateway lie: "It makes me wonder what else you lie about. Yeah, exactly, exactly, exactly, what else have you lied to me about?"

At one point ... Mark yanks Tiffany's key chain from her, removes his house key and then hands the chain back. She pushes him and he leaves.

We're told Mark and Tiffany were "hammered," but all ended well. They got a cab together and went home.

Young love.

"You can cry me a river for all I care, and you can swim in it."

I'm so not touching that, or the other half-dozen quotes that I could pounce on from that article. I'm just going to sit here with my knitting...
    Arielflies likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

DancingDad, I totally agree. Most singers and actors who do musical theater do "stage movement" or "light dance" as you say. That's different from what real dancers, like Shirley MacLaine, Gwen Verdon, Chita Rivera, Anne Reinking, Gregory Hines, Ben Vereen, George Chakiris, etc., do in musicals, and has nothing to do with ballroom.
    ness and DancingDad like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Oh yeah, didnt notice, like I didnt notice the spats As I said, I like the dancing.I dont need screaming girls over William, or shirts undone to the waist, that too takes away from the dancing. I just like the dancing.

Each to their own
    Some how it doesn't take it away for me when its Maks
    karalott, ness, mesachick and 1 others like this.
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer View Post
    Again, I could be off-base, but my first impression is that Mark is a sweetheart, clearly not as flamboyant of a character as Derek is. And I also do really think he has puppy-love for Katheriine. She is absolutely perfect in every way... how could any guy NOT have a crush on her? I wonder what their age difference is?

I've never really paid any attention to Mark at all, ever. Maybe I'll start watching him now and see if my opinion changes.
    I totally agree with you. Mark is acting "different" this season and I was thinking there might be some puppy love going on. He has been a great partner with Katherine, she is beautiful and I have so enjoyed their dances.

So I read further down, Mark has a girlfriend, so who knows. I just see a difference in him than I've seen in the past.
    Last edited by live4romance; 04-06-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: eta
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by live4romance View Post
    I dont think he has ever warn them has he. Val has
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I dont think he has ever warn them has he. Val has
    I'm willing to bet real money that it wasn't the spats live4romance was talking about. It was the shirt undone to the waist reference. Maks can do that every week and it'll be fine with me, too.

karalott and ness like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I'm willing to bet real money that it wasn't the spats live4romance was talking about. It was the shirt undone to the waist reference. Maks can do that every week and it'll be fine with me, too.

I could care less. I much prefer Mr Mare

Last edited by Fanny Mare; 04-06-2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: =========
    ness likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by live4romance View Post
    I think it takes away more when he buttons up

I'm sure we're not the only ones around here that could live with that. Waltz, paso, foxtrot, jive...Maks can go shirtless for all. He says he's over caring what the judges think, so who cares what Len has to say about it?

I'm so not touching that, or the other half-dozen quotes that I could pounce on from that article. I'm just going to sit here with my knitting...
    Probably a good call I don't think you could write something as good as that. I'm at work so I can hear the audio with the video of the actual fight; I just wondered if you could pick up word for word what he was saying. It made an interesting silent fight just the same.
    Last edited by karalott; 04-06-2012 at 07:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread