+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Maria Menounos & Derek Hough - Season 14

Re: Maria Menounos & Derek Hough - Season 14

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew what happened to Maria and Derek in the marathon. They were tapped out so early. It was hard to see what was going on as to why they went out. They later made a comment that they were a "mess" in the marathon. Did anyone see anything? She does seem to be dancing hurt to me.
    They were really off this week. I feared they would be in the bottom 2. Their recent dances seem to be at only 75% of Derek's usual potential. I wonder if they purposefully decided, between the two of them, not to say anything (whine) about their problem (whatever that is) in front of the cameras, or if this is just more producer manipulation. I get the impression that they are not pushing while she recovers.

The odd thing about the marathon is that the judges usually eliminate people based on their overall season performance (despite what they say), so I was surprised to see the judges eliminated M&D so quickly. Typically in these marathon dances, even in the professional world, the judges are all very familar with the dancers and the pecking order is well established. The judges are more or less observing to see if a couple is moving up or down the pecking order, not coming up with isolated results based solely on what happens during the dance. It is the same in ice skating and other events that are subjectively judged. So for the judges to score a couple so low compared to their usual position means they must have been really bad.

I liked their response to the announcement (finally) that they were safe--happy, grateful, relieved, but not jumping all over the place like crazy people. I've been annoyed with Derek in the past but I like the 2012 Derek.
    maude~flanders likes this.

I felt sorry for Maria, when she was crying .I think she puts too much pressure on herself.. She should trust that Derek will make her look good, no, great! he has up until now. I just hate that she was upset. I am glad Derek said that HE doesnt think he is teaching her the way he should. Anyway, the end result was fabulous - the best dance of the night. The 10 's richly deserved.
    ilja likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I can't remember the specifics, but I got the impression Maria had a bad week and receiving the 10 just made her unable to contain all her emotion. She seemed to display the attitude of somebody who has been miserable and finally has relief and gushes that it was all worth it.

I just know one thing. Maria never danced before this show, she obviously has a natural ability , that Derek has tapped into. I cannot wait to see them each week, so for me, this is the *special* couple .She works hard and she doesn't cop an attitude when judged!I would love her to win, because I said at the start, that she wouldn't .I hope she proves me wrong, and Derek is able to get another trophy , because he is obviously that good .Great at teaching and great with choreography.
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    She works hard and she doesn't cop an attitude when judged!
    Of course she doesn't "cop" an attitude. She has never had the judges say horrible things to her even when her dances weren't the best. They give her constructive criticism and are always nice about it. Could it be that it's because she's with the chosen pro??? I personally believe that is the reason

That being said, she has been doing very well esp with her injuries
    karalott, sueb1961 and JavaJo like this.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

They have said she was too stiff, they have said other things and she has listened, with no eye rolling, no attitude

.I like her
    bee stung lips and Living like this.
    -Andy Rooney-

Derek and Maria, poolside at some Budweiser promo event:

'Dancing With the Stars' contestant Maria Menounos flaunts bikini body poolside with partner Derek Hough* - NY Daily News

The article mentions Maria's longtime boyfriend, and drops hints about Derek possibly dating Katherine.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

I loved Derek and Maria's first dance. For weeks everyone has said too many gimmicks for everyone, just dance! and dance they did. It was perfect for me. The holds( even if there were not enough of them for Len) the lines, it was everything I tune in for.It may not have been perfect for the judges, but it was perfection for me. It came from a very pure place and it made me cry the second time I watched it.

Their second dance with the trio, I know Len didn't like it. It should have been a samba, but it was so well done. I loved it. The choreography in that dance was difficult, they made it look easy. He frames his partners like no other dancer can. The haters can hate him - its not his fault he is chock-full of talent

I really don't want to see them leave, they bring such joy to DWTS, and to me. I don't need eye candy, I need dance, They deliver every week, and that's what I will miss if they go home.
    -Andy Rooney-

Tom said it best = Hooray for Bollywood!! I love your dancing,and I loved that number ( even Val was upset you got a 7) so I can tell behind scenes you are all family. I voted every single week to keep you in, and all I wanted was to see you in the semi finals and it paid off. I heard that Maria's boyfriend was in the audience for the first time Monday, I don't know if thats why she was so emotional or perhaps it was that dance.. But I love your dancing

Welcome to the semi final!
    -Andy Rooney-

Maria has come on strong over the last two weeks. I have really enjoyed her performances. Maybe her injuries are finally starting to heal up and she isn't dancing in so much pain. Maria seems to be able to let her inhibitions go when she is on the dance floor. This helps her to relate well to the audience. Her weakness has been in dance content - something that Derek has been successful in choreographing around.

I hope that Maria is able to handle the precision required of both her dances this week. Both the Argentine Tango and the Jive demand fast precise footwork, and so far that hasn't been Maria's strongest asset. Derek's choreography can hide a multitude of things, but Maria will need to step it up if she is going to make the finals.

+ Reply to Thread