+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Maria Menounos & Derek Hough - Season 14

Re: Maria Menounos & Derek Hough - Season 14

It was so good to Derek and Maria on 'Live with Kelly '

Happy birthday Derek!! you are still the best!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton View Post
    I do not know about most of the anti Derek groups, but for me it has nothing to do with his talent. He is a wonderful dancer, and an amazing choreographer. My problem is the partners he gets. Why could Maks not have gotten Katherine and Tony Maria, and Derek Martina and Mark Melissa? They consistently pair him with the dancers, or the younger girls and than they flirt and carry on and it distracts from the dancing for me.

If he got paired with Martina and took her to the semis, than I would be impressed.
    This annoyed me for many seasons but if I put myself in the producer's shoes I would probably do the same thing. Yes, I've gone to the dark side.

First, they often match Stars and Pros based on age, the more mature Stars tend to get the more mature Pros. This trend seems to happen mostly for women Stars and men Pros, not for the men Stars. Whether this is done because the producers think the women Stars are more comfortable with this arrangement or because the Women Stars actively request this is hard to tell. Its pretty clear that many of the women that request Maks happen to be more mature, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the younger women specifically request Mark and Derek. Being a tall Pro (Maks, Tony) on this show is also a disadvantage because you are less likely to be paired with the smaller (typically younger) women. I also think there is a trend that those requesting Maks do so for the “experience” while those that request Derek or Mark are more focused on winning.

Second, the producers know who brings in the ratings and want to keep those Pros around as long as possible. It is like baseball--you have 9 players and you have to figure out a batting order to maximize your chance of hits. The guy batting 7th wishes he could bat 1st, but the manager makes the decision to put the best players early in the lineup. The goal isn't to be fair to each player and give them a chance to be the cleanup hitter, the goal is to manager your players with the best chance to win. So in the case of DWTS, if a Pros is one of the best choreographers (Derek) or has a huge fan following (Maks), the producers would be foolish to pair this Pro with someone that will be gone early. (In the case of Maks, he may not often get a Star that can win, but he almost always gets a Star that will stay in the competition for many weeks.)

So while I think it is unfair to the other men Pros, I’ve given up on thinking that fairness is relevant to this show in any way, including couple assignments. It is just about entertainment. In any case I’ve given up on blaming Derek for his partner assignments.

(I have to say that giving up on the concept of fairness makes DWTS far more enjoyable to watch.)
    Living and ilja like this.

FORT Fogey

I'd love to see a remake of Dirty Dancing with Derek playing the Johnny Castle part. He'd be perfect for that.
    Living likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I'd love to see a remake of Dirty Dancing with Derek playing the Johnny Castle part. He'd be perfect for that.
    I hope they never remake Dirty Dancing. Some movies were done right the first time & just don't need that. Patrick Swayze WAS that movie. Without him it's just not worth it.
    I don't want my memory sullied.
    JunkieGirl, Florimel and GabbyG like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I hope they never remake Dirty Dancing. Some movies were done right the first time & just don't need that. Patrick Swayze WAS that movie. Without him it's just not worth it.
    I don't want my memory sullied.
    I thought they had already done it.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I think they made a sequel, "Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights," (dreadful!) rather than a remake of the original. I would hope there is never a remake with Derek Hough or anyone else. I have yet to see a remake of a great film that was anywhere near as good as the original.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

It was mentioned on SYTYCD last summer that they are doing a re-make of the original and some of the top contestants were vying for roles. Now, whether or not that actually came to pass, I haven't heard.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

BTW
    FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    Not Derek. I know he's not a pro, but Channing Tatum would be good for Patrick's role in a Dirty Dancing remake. If you saw him in Step Up, you know that guy can dance. He's not bad to look at either!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011