+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Martina Navratilova & Tony Dovolani - Season 14

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Martina Navratilova & Tony Dovolani - Season 14

I actually wish they'd get more athletes from sports other than just football. With the summer Olympics happening this year, the fall will probably have one of the athletes from those games competing. But there's so many sports to choose from, I just can't believe they can't find more people in the fields of tennis (I heard Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf-are they still married?-were interested in doing the show), NASCAR, baseball, hockey, snowboarding, skiing, etc.

I'd have to agree with the posters who said Martina isn't as horrible as Kate Gosselin. But I think a lot of that has to do with her overall attitude. She's trying, she's not thinking she's better than she is, and she's having fun. Her dancing is weak, but it's not as bad as some of the clunkers we've had. Because she's so sweet and kind, a part of me wants to see her squeak by, but because of this week, and the fact the costuming department seems to hate her, maybe it's better she goes out first.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Do we know who chooses the costumes, is it their partner, or do they choose. I cannot see Martina picking that out for herself.
    It is a collaboration between the pro and costume department.

FORT Fogey

Whoever put her in that getup needs to be fired. I can't imagine she went along with it for any other reason than to be a good sport. The only woman on the show I can see not looking totally ridiculous in that spectacle of a costume is Karina, and she's a pro. Tony should have never let that happen.
    karalott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    It is a collaboration between the pro and costume department.
    Hmm , well I think I could of helped her out. I haven't liked any of the costumes so far.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4452358[B
    ]I actually wish they'd get more athletes from sports other than just football.[/B] With the summer Olympics happening this year, the fall will probably have one of the athletes from those games competing. But there's so many sports to choose from, I just can't believe they can't find more people in the fields of tennis (I heard Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf-are they still married?-were interested in doing the show), NASCAR, baseball, hockey, snowboarding, skiing, etc.

I'd have to agree with the posters who said Martina isn't as horrible as Kate Gosselin. But I think a lot of that has to do with her overall attitude. She's trying, she's not thinking she's better than she is, and she's having fun. Her dancing is weak, but it's not as bad as some of the clunkers we've had. Because she's so sweet and kind, a part of me wants to see her squeak by, but because of this week, and the fact the costuming department seems to hate her, maybe it's better she goes out first.
    They have had several athletes from other sports; some did really well, others didn't. NOT including NFL players or sports analysts: I'd love to see some baseball players, but they'd have to be retired since both season shows interfere with baseball.

Boxing: Evander Holyfield, Sugar Ray Leonard, Laila Ali
    Basketball: Meta World Peace (aka Ron Artest), Clyde Drexler, and Rick Fox
    Figure Skating, Kristi Yamaguci and Evan Lysachek
    Speed Skating: Apolo Anton Ohno
    Beach Volleyball: Misty May
    Auto Racing: Helio Castroneves
    Tennis: Monica Seles, Martina Navratilova
    Wrestling: Chris Jericho
    Swimming: Natalie Coughlin
    Track: Maurice Greene
    Rodeo: Ty Murray
    UFC: Chuck Liddell
    Snowboarder:Louis Vito
    Soccer: Hope Solo
    Martial Arts/Actor: Mark Dacascos
    Gymnastics: Shawn Johnson
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    They have had several athletes from other sports; some did really well, others didn't. NOT including NFL players or sports analysts: I'd love to see some baseball players, but they'd have to be retired since both season shows interfere with baseball.

Boxing: Evander Holyfield, Sugar Ray Leonard, Laila Ali
    Basketball: Meta World Peace (aka Ron Artest), Clyde Drexler, and Rick Fox
    Figure Skating, Kristi Yamaguci and Evan Lysachek
    Speed Skating: Apolo Anton Ohno
    Beach Volleyball: Misty May
    Auto Racing: Helio Castroneves
    Tennis: Monica Seles, Martina Navratilova
    Wrestling: Chris Jericho
    Swimming: Natalie Coughlin
    Track: Maurice Greene
    Rodeo: Ty Murray
    UFC: Chuck Liddell
    Snowboarder:Louis Vito
    Soccer: Hope Solo
    Martial Arts/Actor: Mark Dacascos
    Gymnastics: Shawn Johnson
    I am really surprised that they haven't had anyone from baseball or hockey yet. I think a hockey player would have to be retired as well, but of all the retired NHL and MLB, they haven't been able to cast one? I had actually forgotten some of those celebs, or the fact they were athletes, but it does surprise me (again) they haven't had more gymnasts, figure skaters, snowboarders...they seem like popular sports and some of the athletes are well known (both retired and competing) but not too A-list for a show like this. I can understand that the NFL players probably bring in a decent size ratings chunk, and quite honestly, pretty much every football player has been a lot of fun to watch. So there's that aspect, too.

I watched Martina and Tony on Kimmell tonight. Martina seemed very let down about being kicked off. She came out and did the jive kick she messed up last night. Jimmy seemed very respectful and ran down her list of achievements in tennis. Both Martina and Tony had great things to say about each other. I don't think it was a huge shock to them to be sitting there, however. Martina again said she wants to re-do her jive during the finale. Hopefully the producers let her, and give her a better outfit to wear. A very classy lady, and I think one of the best good bye speeches I've ever heard on this show.
    Jaceegirl likes this.

Martina was interviewed by the LA Times. I have linked the article here:
    Martina Navratilova discusses 'Dancing with the Stars' farewell - latimes.com

Wow, what a classy lady. I have always been a fan of hers and her responses here, after what must have been a severe disappointment to her, make me like her even more. I wish more of the celebs they have on the show had as much humility, gratitude, and positive attitude as she displayed here.
    karalott and Jaceegirl like this.

Martina was a very classy lady and in any other season I really think she would have gone much further. She had all the right stuff. She wanted to win and approached it with fierce determination. I think if given more time and especially in any other season we would have seen her improve. I remember last season with Rob. He was pretty bad when he first started, but look where he ended up. He did not win, but he greatly improved and I think the same would have happened with Martina. I was pretty sure she would be the one to go, but it was definitely sad. A truly beautiful, lady both inside and out.
    karalott and Florimel like this.

Oh well. I am bummed she is gone, but it does free up my DvR. I wish she had been on another season as I think she could have lasted longer.
    karalott and Florimel like this.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I'd love to see Anderson do the show. And reasons like this why I'd love to see Tony get the ringiest ringer next season.

‘Dancing With the Stars’: I needed therapy after Kate Gosselin, says Tony Dovolani – The TV Guy – Orlando Sentinel

‘Dancing With the Stars’: I needed therapy after Kate Gosselin, says Tony Dovolani
    ABC, Anderson Cooper, Dancing With the Stars, WESH — posted by halboedeker on March, 29 2012 3:40 PM

Tony Dovolani and Martina Navratilova visit “Anderson” on Friday to talk about being the first couple voted off “Dancing With the Stars.”

But Anderson Cooper revisits Dovolani’s tempestuous partnership with reality star Kate Gosselin on the ABC show. This excerpt stood out:

Cooper: “I remember watching her dance, I’m still traumatized by that experience.”

Dovolani: “Wait, wait wait. Anderson, did you just call it dance? We didn’t dance.”

Cooper: “It’s true. I don’t know what it was. Did you have to take a long vacation after that experience Tony?”

Dovolani: “There was a lot of therapy involved.”

“Anderson” airs at 2 p.m. weekdays on WESH-Channel 2.

Tennis legend Navratilova says it was “devastating” to be voted off first. “I really wanted to last longer if for no reason than to hang out with Tony because we have such a good time,” she says.

Navratilova also explains why she finally decided to do the show. “I’ve been asked to be on the show for a long time, and after I had a bout with breast cancer, I figured what could be worse than that?” she says. “So I got the guts to get on the show. As a health and fitness ambassador for AARP, I really encourage all members to do more with their life. Get out of their comfort zone. Get out there and be brave. I figured I would lead by example, so I got out there.”
    Florimel and AZChristian like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast