+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Martina Navratilova & Tony Dovolani - Season 14

FORT Fogey

Re: Martina Navratilova & Tony Dovolani - Season 14

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I felt bad for her during the judging == I thought they were getting a little (unintentionally) insulting the way they all commented on how beautiful she looked in a formal. She was in a gaudy sequined gown and her makeup was way too heavy, and either her hair was trapped in curling irons all day or she had a wig/extensions. It was almost like she was in drag, lol.

I wish they would let women express their own personal style just a little in the costuming. Gavin basically wore his own clothes and hat while he danced. Martina should get the same chance once or twice to feel more comfortable while she dances.

I have a bad feeling she'll be the first sacrifice this week, but I hope she gets a reprieve. I wouldn't mind seeing Jack or Sherri go first.
    I was going to try to go on the Dial Idol Thread and comment, but frankly I had trouble interpreting it this time. Suffice it to say, though, that Martina got a lot of the popular votes for the hour - a lot. That much I could see - second to Urkell. That might come as a surprise to some people, but then I wonder how big a fan base she has? She still is a big name in the world of sports.

I don't know what will happen this next week. She may do well and still get sacrificed or not. She may get rightly booted. However, I do think that although she is used to dressing less feminine, she looked so pretty the other night. It had to make her feel good to hear people compliment her even if after she leaves the show, she never wears another dress or touches make-up again. We all like to feel appreciated, and women may be even a little more inclined in that direction than men.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I felt bad for her during the judging == I thought they were getting a little (unintentionally) insulting the way they all commented on how beautiful she looked in a formal. She was in a gaudy sequined gown and her makeup was way too heavy, and either her hair was trapped in curling irons all day or she had a wig/extensions. It was almost like she was in drag, lol.

I wish they would let women express their own personal style just a little in the costuming. Gavin basically wore his own clothes and hat while he danced. Martina should get the same chance once or twice to feel more comfortable while she dances.

I have a bad feeling she'll be the first sacrifice this week, but I hope she gets a reprieve. I wouldn't mind seeing Jack or Sherri go first.
    I agree! They dance to unconventional music why not extend that to the costumes. She could easily have worn something more tailored and looked stunning. Her hair was ridiculous. She has very thin hair so for TV they have to beef it up but how about a chingon at the nape of her neck or something sleek and not foofy.

And for the judges to praise a lebian on how beautiful she looked in that ridiculous get up and make up was insensitive. She looked very uncomfortable. They basically said we like you better looking girly.

I agree, let's see Jack go this week. I don't know who he is and he did a decent job but since we are on the subject of costuming, their's was terrible as was the music.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 03-26-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

I said that the same thing the first evening

.She reminded me of Mrs Doubtfire when I watched again.. She doesn't need all that junk on her face and hair, she has natural beauty She said the one thing she was really scared of? a spray tan!!

Jack was just okay, awful costumes .
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

I think Maria or Melissa are likely to go before Martina. Maybe that is wishful thinking on my part but I dont see a huge fan base for either one.

I would love to see Martina is a sleek black tailored suit with her hair pulled back. Dramatic eyes, nude lip and only a slight hint of blush. Strong and arty. But they just don't listen to me about this stuff. Never have.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 03-26-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Could be. I guess it will be a fan thing .Even if they don't like the dancer, people vote for the pro.Which seems odd.
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Could be. I guess it will be a fan thing .Even if they don't like the dancer, people vote for the pro.Which seems odd.
    Or against the pro which is ever odder.
    karalott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Or against the pro which is ever odder.
    true!
    -Andy Rooney-

I would love to see Martina is a sleek black tailored suit with her hair pulled back. Dramatic eyes, nude lip and only a slight hint of blush. Strong and arty. But they just don't listen to me about this stuff. Never have.
    That's a great idea. She looked overdone last week, but she does need to look elegant, no matter her personal style.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by lizardcat View Post
    That's a great idea. She looked overdone last week, but she does need to look elegant, no matter her personal style.
    She can look elegant without the over the top glam look, easily. I bet we see that when she does the jive. The costumes are typically more casual with flat shoes.

I dress in a very masculine way, really. And I look feminine. I never wear dresses, only occasionally a black short skirt with leggings or tights but that is rare. Jeans and a t-shirt are pretty much it. I live in Florida and it is not a very unsophistocated state so all my funky stuff from New England looks odd down here. I do have some fancy shoes though.

They can make her look fabulous if they try a little.

I am off my soap box until I see her tonight. I may become agitated again.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I think Maria or Melissa are likely to go before Martina. Maybe that is wishful thinking on my part but I dont see a huge fan base for either one.

I think Melissa will be an earlier than expected exit, but I'd be shocked for her to be the first to go. Since I feel like Martina is the most obvious to go, I have a feeling she'll be around at least another week. Considering how last week went, we could be in for an even bigger shock tomorrow when someone does get the boot. It could be the last person we expect. For now, I think it'll come down to Martina, Jack, or Gavin as being the most in danger to go. I wouldn't be sad to lose Gavin first, but he might have the slight advantage at being more current. However, the likely demo that is a fan of his probably doesn't watch the show the way the older demo does (not to say there aren't fans of his in that demo, either). Martina didn't really do much for me last week, though I admire her story. I don't see Maria going anywhere at least until the half way point. She has Derek as a partner and probably has a decent sized fanbase to get her through the first few weeks.
    Last edited by karalott; 03-26-2012 at 05:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast