+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930313233 LastLast
Like Tree737Likes

Thread: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

FORT Fogey

Re: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    It is impossible to know the winner in advance. While there have been some predictable winners (Kristi Yamaguchi and Donny Osmond) there have been many contestants who came out of nowhere to win. Look at JR Martinez. Who would have thought on paper that he would win. He was an injured vet and almost no one had ever heard of him. What about Helio Castroneves? These were unknowns whose personalities lit up the stage. Maks has never had a complete clunker that never had a chance (like a Master P or a Buz Aldrin). Maks has had several viable contenders that never quite made it all the way. These Include: Laila Ali (3rd place season 4), Mel B (2nd place season 5), Misty-May Traenor (looking good in season 7 before her injury), Erin Andrews (3rd place season 10), Brandy (4th place season 11), Kirstie Alley (2nd place season 12). None of his other partners looked that bad on paper. Many were young and fit. These include: Willa Ford, Denise Richards, and Hope Solo. I do agree that his remaining partners (Tia Carrere, Debi Mazar, and Mellisa Gilbert) would not be predicted to go all the way, but would also not be predicted to be first exits. I think that Maks has had a reasonable mix of partners, no better and no worse than many other pros. He hasn't had nearly the worst. That honor goes to Ashley DelGrosso-Costa (Master P, Harry Hamlin Buzz Aldrin).
    Derek has won three mirror ball trophies, and Maks hasn't won any. Is Derek that talented of a dancer and dance teacher... or is he intentionally given partners that they know have potential? Also, do they really count the votes? Do the producers influence how the judges vote? Like I said in another post, I stopped voting after Mario Lopez came in second. I've read about what goes on behind the scenes in reailty TV shows... about how producers influence contestants. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes on DWTS. Maybe the producers fix it so that Maks never wins, since they've assigned Maks the role of the bad boy.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    Derek has won three mirror ball trophies, and Maks hasn't won any. Is Derek that talented of a dancer and dance teacher... or is he intentionally given partners that they know have potential? Also, do they really count the votes? Do the producers influence how the judges vote? Like I said in another post, I stopped voting after Mario Lopez came in second. I've read about what goes on behind the scenes in reailty TV shows... about how producers influence contestants. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes on DWTS. Maybe the producers fix it so that Maks never wins, since they've assigned Maks the role of the bad boy.
    I'm not a Derek fan, but I can admit that he is a talented teacher and choreographer. Has he been tested with even a mediocre partner? No. When he wins with someone like Kate Gosselin or Martina Navratilova then he'll be a great teacher.

I think TPTB do enjoy creating little fixed roles for the pros so they can play out a story over the season. Maks is the bad boy and they won't let him break out of that role, ever. I'd love to see him come back and win, but I don't think it would happen because, even if they give him a "contender," the judges are too biased against him at this point.

Melissa definitely wasn't top 3 material, but I don't think she was given enough credit for the things she did right. She wasn't my favorite of Maks' partners to watch, but I still rooted for her.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm not a Derek fan, but I can admit that he is a talented teacher and choreographer. Has he been tested with even a mediocre partner? No. When he wins with someone like Kate Gosselin or Martina Navratilova then he'll be a great teacher. I think TPTB do enjoy creating little fixed roles for the pros so they can play out a story over the season. Maks is the bad boy and they won't let him break out of that role, ever. I'd love to see him come back and win, but I don't think it would happen because, even if they give him a "contender," the judges are too biased against him at this point. Melissa definitely wasn't top 3 material, but I don't think she was given enough credit for the things she did right. She wasn't my favorite of Maks' partners to watch, but I still rooted for her.
    I don't think they would ever let Maks win either... even if it improved ratings and saved the show. I think of Maks as a winner. I don't pay attention to what the judges say, or the scores. I judge for myself who I think is a good dancer, and which dances I like.
    combatcutie, karalott and jucamer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I don't pay attention to what the judges say, or the scores. I judge for myself who I think is a good dancer, and which dances I like.
    I do that as well, I think many of us do. I haven't liked all of Derek's partner that's for sure .If I didn't like them, I didn't vote for them.
    Last edited by Fanny Mare; 05-10-2012 at 09:29 PM.
    ilja likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Okay, hands up everyone: Behaves like Maks, looks like Mark - who is still a fan?
    The thing is, we really don't know how Mark behaves. We only see what TPTB want us to see and we only see how they want to portray the pros. I see Maks get frustrated and swear and walk away because he says he wants to hit something, I feel like that sometimes with my dogs, but that doesn't mean I'm going to beat them.

A reason that I might vote for the celebrity who may not be the best, is the comments from the judges. If CarrieAnn or Bruno make a snarky remark, I may just vote for that celebrity from every phone I can find, just because I can and it wouldn't matter who the pro is - - - think Circ-de-sol gone wrong.
    karalott likes this.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG View Post
    The thing is, we really don't know how Mark behaves. We only see what TPTB want us to see and we only see how they want to portray the pros. I see Maks get frustrated and swear and walk away because he says he wants to hit something, I feel like that sometimes with my dogs, but that doesn't mean I'm going to beat them.

A reason that I might vote for the celebrity who may not be the best, is the comments from the judges. If CarrieAnn or Bruno make a snarky remark, I may just vote for that celebrity from every phone I can find, just because I can and it wouldn't matter who the pro is - - - think Circ-de-sol gone wrong.
    I can admit that Maks has sometimes gone too far, however, I think his heart is in the right place. And, I think it's often a case of means one thing, but it comes out totally different. I usually see it as him just calling it like he sees it. He said it best last season, when he got into his first tiff with the judges, and said everyone was working hard and deserved respect. I think it's fine to call the judges out for their idiotic scoring methods, and asking them why someone that makes a mistake, misses step, or doesn't do the required elements gets a higher score than a celeb that doesn't do any of those things. Or if it's fair to really compare the celebs together just to make an excuse to dock them points. I found it both sad and comical when he said that some of the pros went up to the judges last season after his first tirade and said they didn't entirely agree with him and apologized. I can probably tell who those pros were. I do wish more of the pros were outspoken and called it like it is. I think you can do both that and be professional. If Mark acted like Maks, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Would I consider him eye candy? Heck no, but to each their own Mark's actions have come off as acting more spoiled and entitled. Season 12 he knew he was taking risks with some of the dances and admitted it (or didn't even when his partner did), then got all huffy when he was called out for that.
    combatcutie and Florimel like this.

I'm a newcomer here and as I have said before my first time on a site that covers reality shows, but you can correct me if I am wrong as I don't really know the answer, but is it possible that these celebs ask for their partners at times and that is why they end up with the partners that they do? I thought that I had read by someone that Melissa requested Max because of her friendship with Kirstie. I don't know about Hope or any of the previous partners. I just wonder if the celebs requested certain partners of any of these pros that it may have some bearing on who gets who. I would think if a celeb requested a certain partner that the show would accommodate them as they have a need to get celebs to agree to do the show. In turn I would hope that they would tell the pro who was requesting them and would have a say in it as well. If someone knows I would appreciate it.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Jaceegirl View Post
    I'm a newcomer here and as I have said before my first time on a site that covers reality shows, but you can correct me if I am wrong as I don't really know the answer, but is it possible that these celebs ask for their partners at times and that is why they end up with the partners that they do? I thought that I had read by someone that Melissa requested Max because of her friendship with Kirstie. I don't know about Hope or any of the previous partners. I just wonder if the celebs requested certain partners of any of these pros that it may have some bearing on who gets who. I would think if a celeb requested a certain partner that the show would accommodate them as they have a need to get celebs to agree to do the show. In turn I would hope that they would tell the pro who was requesting them and would have a say in it as well. If someone knows I would appreciate it.
    The celebs can request the pro that they want, although it probably depends whether the pro is available, and TPTB likely have those higher on the list that they want to cast at all costs and will give them first priority in getting the pro they want. Donald, I heard, requested Peta, Sherri asked for Val, and Martina Tony. Last season, Maks threw it out there way in advance he wanted Hope Solo for a partner if she ever did this show, and wound up with hher. Karina's the one who encouraged Gavin to do the show as well, so it's no surprise they wound up as partners. Going as far back as season 8 and Denise Richards, Maks has been requested by every one of his partners since. Back during season 9, when Kelly Osbourne was a contestant, she wasn't happy with the pro she got (many believed it was Mark based on things she dropped about it), and she reportedly wanted someone more grounded and who would be tough on her, so they gave her to Louis van Amstel. It's why when people pity Maks's partners because of one bad rehearsal package, I roll my eyes at the editors, but also don't take pity with his partners. Maks has been a part of this show since season 2. They know what he's all about, so they shouldn't be shell shocked that he's a tough teacher.

Thanks so much for this information. I do appreciate it as like I said I am a newcomer and never realized until coming to the FORT how many people actually were more interested in the pro over the celeb. Since I have always watched more for the celeb I have not formed as much love for or against any of the pros. I also now realize that it is not just here on the FORT, but many people who feel this way. Through articles that have been posted here which then points me in other directions it is like another whole concept has opened up to me that I did not know existed. I just watched season to season discussing it only with my friends until the next season when the cast was normally announced on The Bachelor. I never realized any of the background business that has gone on. I will admit that I have viewed different pros in the sense of not giving their celebs as much content as I think they should have or that certain pros have acted a bit differently then when they first came to the show. I always appreciated good choreography, etc. That was all done in my own sheltered viewing and then discussing it with my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG View Post
    The thing is, we really don't know how Mark behaves. We only see what TPTB want us to see and we only see how they want to portray the pros.
    Mark’s behavior is irrelevant to my question. What I am asking is: we have a pro, he has Maks’ personality, technique and choreography, but he looks like Mark. How big is his fanbase? Does everyone who currently adores Maks still adore him, even though he looks like Mark?
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread