+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast
Like Tree737Likes

Thread: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

Re: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I think that he, and every other pro, are well within their riights to think over whether or not they want to return. First of all, each of them has to be invited back in the first place. Then, it's the pro's career and they can decide when they are going to decide. The show can also decide to rescind the invitation if they want. No difference between that and Brett Favre, for example, taking his own sweet time about whether he would come back each of the latter seasons of his career. This is just a tv show, after all.
    But with Favrre, that got to be really funny( and not in a good way) In fact everyone was joking about it , and him. I wouldn't want it to get that far.
    Last edited by Fanny Mare; 05-10-2012 at 10:09 AM.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    TPTB know who they've cast. They have asked the questions and watched the applicants walk. Are they graceful, or do they slouch and shuffle. Is their body supple, muscular or heavy? From those casting evaluations, much like on The Bachelor franchise, they can make some pretty good guesses as to who will go far and who will stumble by the wayside. If Maks was told at some point about some contestant that he had a participant, but not a winner, that should be a huge clue that there were others who were far more capable than his partner.
    At the beginning of the season why couldn't they ever give Maks a winner... and not just a "participant?" Since Maks is popular, it would be good for ratings. Maybe Maks stays on the show, even though he knows they would never give him the best partner, because the show helps him get customers for his dance studio business. Could they have also bluntly told Edyta that they were never going to give her a winner as a dance partner... that she would always just get participants?

If Maks leaves then I will stop watching. Val is hot but in all honestly...he is no Maks!
    karalott, AZChristian and jucamer like this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Okay, hands up everyone: Behaves like Maks, looks like Mark - who is still a fan?
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    At the beginning of the season why couldn't they ever give Maks a winner... and not just a "participant?" Since Maks is popular, it would be good for ratings. Maybe Maks stays on the show, even though he knows they would never give him the best partner, because the show helps him get customers for his dance studio business. Could they have also bluntly told Edyta that they were never going to give her a winner as a dance partner... that she would always just get participants?
    It is impossible to know the winner in advance. While there have been some predictable winners (Kristi Yamaguchi and Donny Osmond) there have been many contestants who came out of nowhere to win. Look at JR Martinez. Who would have thought on paper that he would win. He was an injured vet and almost no one had ever heard of him. What about Helio Castroneves? These were unknowns whose personalities lit up the stage.

Maks has never had a complete clunker that never had a chance (like a Master P or a Buz Aldrin). Maks has had several viable contenders that never quite made it all the way. These Include: Laila Ali (3rd place season 4), Mel B (2nd place season 5), Misty-May Traenor (looking good in season 7 before her injury), Erin Andrews (3rd place season 10), Brandy (4th place season 11), Kirstie Alley (2nd place season 12). None of his other partners looked that bad on paper. Many were young and fit. These include: Willa Ford, Denise Richards, and Hope Solo. I do agree that his remaining partners (Tia Carrere, Debi Mazar, and Mellisa Gilbert) would not be predicted to go all the way, but would also not be predicted to be first exits.

I think that Maks has had a reasonable mix of partners, no better and no worse than many other pros. He hasn't had nearly the worst. That honor goes to Ashley DelGrosso-Costa (Master P, Harry Hamlin Buzz Aldrin).
    Living likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Okay, hands up everyone: Behaves like Maks, looks like Mark - who is still a fan?

I love Maks' personality/behavior and I think Mark is awful (talk about someone being full of himself) . I don't like anything about him - to me is is not in the least bit attractive - so I would definitley say not a fan!
    Florimel likes this.

Of all of Max's partners I have never seen him so himself as he was with Melissa. He seems to really care for her, not in a BF/GF way but just as a human being. I think he really appreciated her and had a genuine like for her. I was amazed at the things he said to her and it didn't seem like pro/student babble like we usually hear. I found it fascinating. Melissa must be one of those people that brings out the best in other people. We all know them, they look normal, may not be the most physically stand out person but there is just a quality about them that makes you feel comfortable with them, forgiven, accepted and even special. It isn't about romance. I don't think I've even seen Max more genuine. He usually seems either bored or p/o'd about having to be there. He was different this time. I liked it a lot.
    Alexxxx likes this.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    It is impossible to know the winner in advance. While there have been some predictable winners (Kristi Yamaguchi and Donny Osmond) there have been many contestants who came out of nowhere to win. Look at JR Martinez. Who would have thought on paper that he would win. He was an injured vet and almost no one had ever heard of him. What about Helio Castroneves? These were unknowns whose personalities lit up the stage.

Maks has never had a complete clunker that never had a chance (like a Master P or a Buz Aldrin). Maks has had several viable contenders that never quite made it all the way. These Include: Laila Ali (3rd place season 4), Mel B (2nd place season 5), Misty-May Traenor (looking good in season 7 before her injury), Erin Andrews (3rd place season 10), Brandy (4th place season 11), Kirstie Alley (2nd place season 12). None of his other partners looked that bad on paper. Many were young and fit. These include: Willa Ford, Denise Richards, and Hope Solo. I do agree that his remaining partners (Tia Carrere, Debi Mazar, and Mellisa Gilbert) would not be predicted to go all the way, but would also not be predicted to be first exits.

I think that Maks has had a reasonable mix of partners, no better and no worse than many other pros. He hasn't had nearly the worst. That honor goes to Ashley DelGrosso-Costa (Master P, Harry Hamlin Buzz Aldrin).
    I would throw Tony Dovolani and Jonathan Roberts into the mix. Jonathan, I believe, was out early nearly every season, except season 5 when he had Marie Osmond. And he had the distinction of being the only pro eliminated first 3 times in a row (or almost in a row, since he skipped season 7). Tony's had Melissa Rycroft and Stacey Keibler that got him far, and on a lesser scale Audrina Patridge and Chynna Phillips, out early. In between, he's had Kathy Ireland, Wendy Williams, Susan Lucci, Jane Seymour, Sara Evans, Martina, and the worst of the worst that I wouldn't even wish Derek or Mark on, Kate Gosselin. After Master P, Ashly deserved Mario Lopez. Or at least someone better than Harry Hamlin. As her parting gift, she's off until season 10, only for some reason to be brought back over Kym/Karina/Lacey to partner Buzz Aldrin. I always loved Ashly so I wasn't against her returning, but that was kind of strange. I will agree Maks has been on the luckier end of partnerships, like Derek, Cheryl, and Mark have been. It seems like every pro has the 'type' that they get.

Denise Richards and Debi Mazar may not have been clunkers in the Kate or Kim Kardashian category, but they were probably his worst partners. Denise was unpopular at the time, so that didn't help, either. I somewhat disagree about not knowing the winner in advance. On paper, sometimes it's easy to tell, like the examples you listed. Other times, once the season starts and you see how the scoring and comments go, then it's easy to tell. I knew by week 2 Katherine and William would be in the finals, and by week 4, it'd probably be Donald with them. I expected Melissa out earlier, and thought Gladys would last longer based on fan votes (and maybe she would have without the dance off). Other than that, the season has gone as expected. I thought Katherine and William might have been at a disadvantage based on the unknown factor, but that hasn't stopped J.R., Kyle Massey, or Gilles Marini from making it to the end. So it's really no surprise we have the final 4 we do.

Tony and Jonathan get the award for most clunkers in a TV show...

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I would throw Tony Dovolani and Jonathan Roberts into the mix. Jonathan, I believe, was out early nearly every season, except season 5 when he had Marie Osmond. And he had the distinction of being the only pro eliminated first 3 times in a row (or almost in a row, since he skipped season 7). Tony's had Melissa Rycroft and Stacey Keibler that got him far, and on a lesser scale Audrina Patridge and Chynna Phillips, out early. In between, he's had Kathy Ireland, Wendy Williams, Susan Lucci, Jane Seymour, Sara Evans, Martina, and the worst of the worst that I wouldn't even wish Derek or Mark on, Kate Gosselin. After Master P, Ashly deserved Mario Lopez. Or at least someone better than Harry Hamlin. As her parting gift, she's off until season 10, only for some reason to be brought back over Kym/Karina/Lacey to partner Buzz Aldrin. I always loved Ashly so I wasn't against her returning, but that was kind of strange. I will agree Maks has been on the luckier end of partnerships, like Derek, Cheryl, and Mark have been. It seems like every pro has the 'type' that they get.

Denise Richards and Debi Mazar may not have been clunkers in the Kate or Kim Kardashian category, but they were probably his worst partners. Denise was unpopular at the time, so that didn't help, either. I somewhat disagree about not knowing the winner in advance. On paper, sometimes it's easy to tell, like the examples you listed. Other times, once the season starts and you see how the scoring and comments go, then it's easy to tell. I knew by week 2 Katherine and William would be in the finals, and by week 4, it'd probably be Donald with them. I expected Melissa out earlier, and thought Gladys would last longer based on fan votes (and maybe she would have without the dance off). Other than that, the season has gone as expected. I thought Katherine and William might have been at a disadvantage based on the unknown factor, but that hasn't stopped J.R., Kyle Massey, or Gilles Marini from making it to the end. So it's really no surprise we have the final 4 we do.
    I agree with you about Tony and Jonathan. I only mentioned Ashley because I felt she had the absolute worst luck. At least Jonathan and Tony each made it to the finals.

I do feel that you can pick out the best dancers after only a few weeks in the season. That is not surprising to me at all, especially given the fact that the contestants have had a chance to work with their pro for a few weeks prior to the first show. This will usually predict the judges scoring as I do feel they score the merit of dances for the most part - although sometimes I don't understand what CA and Bruno are looking at. This predicts who will land at the top of the judges leader board, but as we know this is only part of the story.

The unpredictable part is the viewer voting as it is often not based on factors that easy to predict on a week to week basis. There ore often instances of:
    - voting for the worst contestant as a prank (some websites even promote this)
    - not voting for your favorite because their judges scores are high so they are safe - always a bad strategy
    - stuffing the ballot box - rabid fans have been known to create hundreds of e-mail accounts to vote
    - voting for the pro instead of the contestant - either for or against (as pros become more popular I expect more of this)
    For this reason I find it unusual that the final group is known ahead of time. Usually some of the best dancers will make it, but not always. There are almost always contestants who stay longer than their more talented contemporaries.

People always complain about the judges on this show determining the outcome with their scoring, but when you consider that it is rare to see less than a "7" in the later part of any season and when you do the math you will find that the viewers will easily overcome the judges scores. This is especially true this season when anything less than an "8" is rare.

I perhaps naively look at this as a dance competition. I like to see the best dancers stick around because I am entertained by good dancing far more than I am by backstage drama and various degrees of "hotness", male or female. I also believe in preserving (at least to some degree) the integrity of the dance styles being competed. I base my voting on those criteria. I suppose in that respect I relate best to Len, who I also believe tries to do so. Others will do as they please and base their voting on whatever they wish including the list I mentioned above. Because of this variability I refuse to get too upset over any results. My favorite contestants will continue to be those who excelled in their dancing, whether or not they win.
    Last edited by DancingDad; 05-10-2012 at 03:02 PM.
    Jaceegirl likes this.

+ Reply to Thread