+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree737Likes

Thread: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

Re: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I just saw a short clip of them discussing how Maks had never seen LHOP and didn't know who she was, and they were both teasing each other and laughing about it. In that clip, at least, they seemed to be getting along okay, and Maks typically does better, I think, with partners who are willing to stand up to him and with whom he can joke around (Kirstie and Erin, for instance). I think if Maks gives her crap, she'll probably just dish it right back, as opposed to taking it too personally.
    Well, she worked for Michael Landon for how many years? He was a notorious task master. Maks is probably a teddy bear in comparison.

I love her and LOVED Little House. I looked quite a bit like Melissa (although not the teeth! ) when I was growing up, so I always felt a kinship with her.

I'm rooting for them!
    karalott, jucamer and Debb70 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Alison Arngrim paints a really interesting picture of Michael Landon in her autobiography. She does say he was strict and that he was definitely not a perfect person, but that what she really responded to was that he treated the kids in the cast as if they were actors. He expected them to be on time, know their lines etc., but in turn, he respected their work, while too many people in the industry can treat kids as if they're somehow performing animals (e.g. offering them candy if they do a good job in a scene, which Michael hated, because he thought it was demeaning to believe kids wouldn't see through that kind of nonsense and find it condescending). She also says that for a lot of them, including herself, the structured (without being oppressive) atmosphere on his sets helped, because their own home lives didn't provide a lot of discipline and structure, and as a result, the regulars on Little House didn't go the route of so many child actors--the running joke among those now adult kids is "Little House on the Prairie: No arrests, no convictions." With the exception of Melissa Sue Anderson, who's never been to any of the reunions, the cast, adults and kids, still remains close.

Of course, she also says that Melissa, with whom she's still friends, was a self-possessed organizer even at eight and that anyone who worked with her was not at all surprised when she ended up as the president of SAG as an adult.
    ButterflyFaery, Midol and Debb70 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bet2Win View Post
    I was watching Lisa Rinna and Louis on YouTube, what a body she has!

Then I watched Maks and Kirstie's first week segment, I smiled through the whole thing once again. Maks had such a fun time with her; and their cha cha is my all time favorite routine on this show.

So, the question is, does Melissa Gilbert have a personality? I don't think I've ever watched an interview of her.
    Melissa played a very spunky charactor on Little House on The Pairie. I can't help but think that much of that spunky kid was indeed Melissa and not just the Laura Ingells charactor. She has been performing as a professional for most of her life. I think she will do very well. I'll be rooting for her.

She has had quite a colorful life too. She has been in relationships with some of the hotties of Hollywood and written about some of them. I was shocked to find out that she smoked for many years. I don't think she does now.
    Last edited by Debb70; 03-08-2012 at 01:42 PM.

FORT Fogey

I saw a couple of short clips of them on-line practicing the cha-cha, and they seem to be getting along fine. She appears to be concentrating pretty intently, while Maks keeps telling her she's doing fine.

Maks: (advising her on how to tighten the straps on her dance shoes) Make them as tight as you can.
    Melissa: Whatever you say. You're the boss.
    Maks: They all say that. At first.
    Melissa: Yeah, for the first ten minutes.
    karalott and ButterflyFaery like this.

I love Melissa Gilbert. I am rooting for her and hope she does well.
    jucamer likes this.

FORT Fogey

There's a nice youtube clip featuring rehearsal footage and interviews with Melissa/Maks, Jack/Anna, and Donald/Peta. All three of those couples seem to be getting along. Maks said that he thinks Melissa is a little hard on herself and that the best thing about her is that she really enjoys dancing. Melissa said she was surprised at how stupid she feels sometimes, but she quickly added it's not because of Maks but because she finds herself doing things like moving her right foot when he just told her to start on her left, as if she doesn't know which is which. Jack said the hardest thing for him is having a couple of rehearsals go well and then having one go not so well and having to come back from that, and Anna mentioned that she was pleased that because he's a musician, it's much easier for him to feel the accents and understand the counts. Donald said Peta's a great teacher and that the advice he'd gotten from his friends was to do whatever Peta said and not talk back to the judges; he said he's used to being coached and he never talks back to anyone anyway.

So far, everyone seems to be getting along, but then, the season hasn't even started yet. I expect everyone will have a moment or two when he/she just gets frustrated.

Oh, yeah, and Maks said if they win, he's taking the mirror ball from the studio ceiling as his trophy and has already told production that's what he'll be doing.
    karalott and Midol like this.

Based on that video, I'd say Maks and Melissa will do well. She seems to be well coordinated and they appear to be getting along so far. I think the challenge will probably be keeping her healthy. Unfortunately, she's at the age where your body starts falling apart!
    ButterflyFaery, jucamer and Midol like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

I'm thrilled with this pairing! Can't wait to watch them dancing together.
    jucamer likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

On People.com, there's another clip of them where Melissa talks about why Maks makes her cry: because he reminds her of Michael Landon in that he's good at what he does and so wise about it (her words) and pushes her outside her comfort zone, which she needs--and then when he gets her there and compliments her about how she's doing, she cries, because like Michael, he wouldn't say she'd done a good job unless he meant it. Then she points out that she's never compared anyone she's worked with to Michael before this, and Maks says he's very honored that she'd make that comparison--but that he still doesn't understand why she cries. And Melissa shrugs and says, "It's a girl thing."

Earlier in the piece, Maks also laments that he can't win: even when he compliments a partner, she cries. The clip shows them dancing too, and Melissa looks pretty good, except that she looks really, really serious. I hope she can bring her acting chops to the dance floor, because if she continues to look as if she's concentrating that hard at getting it exactly right, the judges are going to ding her for it.

^ Well I guess we have our first "heart-tugging" rehearsal video right there for Monday night.
    norealityhere likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread