+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: 11/14 DWTS13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 11/14 DWTS13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Hmm watching Hope dance tonight was horrifying. I kept picturing Shrek riding a Horse, maybe Mr. Ed. It was atrocious. The woman has no graceful moves what so ever. Poor Max he looked like at times he was lugging a huge sack of Potatoes around.

As far as Rob I feel for him. It has to be hard to live your life with The Kardashian name. You love your family but you also take the blame for everything they do. Your on a show to dance and you have been doing well,but all the talk is about your family and their issues. I want a Jr & Rob finale. I don't like Ricki but she deserves to be in the finale. Hope needs to go to charm school or something. Girl has no graceful moves what so ever.smh
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer View Post
    But the thing is, Hope is clearly the worst of the remaining contestants. Here shoulders flop EVERY-WHICH-WAY, it's like she has no frame at all, watching it just brings the word "sloppy" to mind. Dance is not her thing. If this were a REAL competition instead of a popularity contest, she'd have been gone long before Chynna Phillips and the Laguna Beach girl.

Hope and Max have gotten very lucky to have made it this far. It was due to popularity.
    I agree, the first weeks were painful, but people just voted for Maks, no matter that she was so bad. Chynna was better than her, but we lost her.This whole sulky Maks and Hope saga has spoilt the show in some ways.Now they are all over each other pretending like the first weeks never happened, make me LOL and

FORT Fogey

Rob is actually trying something and enjoying something. I like the fact that this might be something he really enjoys and keeps up with. His mother and sisters, sans Kourtney, are extremely showy and annoying, but he is not a Kardashian on this show for me he is becoming a dancer. I can totally understand his comment about growing up. He had an overbearing mother and three overbearingly annoying sisters and than his father died. He was like a doll to them which suffocated his personality. It is believable to hear him say he finally feels on his own. I feel for any girl he ever dates or marries. They are going to be bothered something terrible.

Hope and Maks are so serious that it takes the fun out. I have rooted for some of the worst dancers on the show just because their attitudes were good. I can understand Maks and his attitude because the judges really all over the board, and it is getting old. However, Hope is just too serious all the time. I just think some athletes just cannot get past the need to win, and life it too short for that. Just look at JR, if he can be happy despite being disfigured for life, than get over yourself.

Ricki said the f word in her segment as well so it did not bother me to have JR say it. He has an extreme amount of pressure on his shoulders to win this with Karina. He knows as well as we do that Derek is the golden boy, and one slip up means he wins yet again. I am not going to fault him for showing anger for one night when I have no idea how much pain he was in. His regular show was cancelled so this was a new way for him to move on with his career, and now an injury. Unlike the others, he came into this without his other job being there when he was done.

Ricki is just driving me bananas. I cannot put a finger on it, but I do not enjoy her. I really do urge everyone to go back and watch her dances throughout the season. She does a lot of standing there with Derek jumping all over the place. I think too many people are just watching him and as long as his partner does not fall over, they think the dance is awesome. I wish just once he would not be in the finals. I would love to see JR, Rob, and Hope in the finals, but I know that will not happen.
    GoingInCircles and Coco46 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    As far as Rob I feel for him. It has to be hard to live your life with The Kardashian name. You love your family but you also take the blame for everything they do. Your on a show to dance and you have been doing well,but all the talk is about your family and their issues. I want a Jr & Rob finale. I don't like Ricki but she deserves to be in the finale. Hope needs to go to charm school or something. Girl has no graceful moves what so ever.
    I am in agreement. I would be horrified if I were to be judged by the actions of members of my family - I am not them, they are not me. And I don't really get where a 24-year-old recent graduate who lives at home and hasn't got a career started yet is "mooching" off of their family. I am quite certain, particularly given the economic climate, that there are tens of thousands of recent grads living with their parents all across North America who are trying to get their assorted careers going and aren't planning on leeching off their parents forever.
    KatesMom and Fanny Mare like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

I wish he would just act professional... since he's called a professional.

I'm weary of the Maks/Hope/CA saga. Too much griping from Maks, too much dominance from CA, and not enough dancing skills from Hope. Maks' big attitude was contagious this season, it spread to Hope, now she is mouthy, and it has spread to this message board (all the griping, all the hate). I like upbeat people. I guess that's why I like Derek even though some people view him as a brown-noser. I just really like to see good attitudes. That's also why I was really suprised by JR tonight, because a night of pain brought a total attitude switch when I expected he'd have stronger fortitude.

I was taken quite by surprise tonight when the judges scored JR's first dance so low. I actually had been thinking it was great. Didn't expect to hear one, then two, and finally three less-than-satisfied judges. I wish I could rewatch it... I must've been viewing with blinders on.

Ricki's dances always look so pretty, but if watch very close, her perfect lines mask a kind of slowness or simpleness, I think. Derek is of course an excellent dancer, but his ability to make any level of dancer appear to be a starlet on the floor is extraordinary. I know it's not popular to like Derek these days, but honestly, he's in a class by himself, excelling in his own dancing lines, AND in choreography, AND in teaching. I think he deserves credit for being the best all-around pro. Being great at all 3 components is worth some praise.

And seeing Rob dance so cleanly tonight was not expected. I don't know enough about dance steps to know whose routines were simple vs complex, but I know it's the overall performance that counts, not just the skills, which is why gymnasts and skaters elect to take highly difficult moves out of their routines in favor of a cleaner performance.
    I'm sorry JR swearing once in a weeks long competition on a night where he clearly had a lot at stake and was in obvious pain caused you to doubt his fortitude and be bothered that he was, on one night, glum. As has already been pointed out, virtually every competitor in every season has sworn at least once, and perhaps more than once, as we don't see every moment of their footage. Both Hope and Ricki have also debated quitting the show earlier, because they were stressed out, which J.R. did not do, even last night. Nor did he dispute the fact that the judges had to score what they saw; he agreed with that. Personally, I have a bad day more often than that and have occasionally let a swear word slip out of my lips in frustration as well, so I guess perhaps I'm just a bit more understanding of that particular flaw and would not expect to hold one competitor to higher standards than all others, especially one who's shown more fortitude than I hope I would ever have to exhibit.

Derek has had nights or rehearsal footage where he's been annoyed or grumpy too, and if I'm not mistaken, may have been bleeped before in rehearsal footage too. As for his ability to turn dancers of every ability into starlets, he's yet to have someone of the ability of a Macy Gray or Kate Gosselin or Nancy Grace. Let him turn one of them into a starlet, and perhaps I'll agree with that. In the meantime, I have a lot more respect for the kind of performances someone like Louis has gotten out of Kelly Osbourne or Niecy Nash--and realistically, Derek's never even had anyone of their level. In fact, Louis seems to be the one they automatically had anyone who has issues beyond the dance floor in terms of self-esteem or body image.

As for gymnastics and figure skating, in gymnastics, the base score for, say, a vault is determined by its difficulty, so an easier, cleaner vault is not necessarily going to score better than a less clean, more difficult one, because if the more difficult vault is worth significantly more, the gymnast may be able to afford a slight mistake and still outscore a perfectly executed, simpler vault. In figure skating, the CoP (Code of Points) has been readjusted for this season, and points are awarded for quads that are properly rotated even if they are not cleanly landed, as opposed to receiving no points being awarded without clean landings. The men are back to attempting quads if they are at all capable of them, and people are winning even with falls on the quads, over men who are not attempting them. Patrick Chan fell multiple times at Skate Canada over the course of his short program and free skate and still won, even though one of those falls was on footwork, for which he also is given credit because he attempts more difficult footwork. I'm not saying that's the only reason he won, but he certainly is not looking for a simpler, cleaner program to give him a win, because that's not going to happen, because the rules have changed to make that extremely unlikely. It's also far from the first time that Chan has won with multiple falls, because the difficulty of his programs and his execution points have lifted him past the falls. Russ Miner did win a bronze at NHK without a quad, but that had less to do with his skating relatively cleanly without a quad than it had to do with several of the skaters in front of him after the short program self-destructing in ways far beyond falling on a quad. Trust me, if Miner had a quad, he'd be trying it. There's very little reason not to this season. And yes, I well know that Lysacek won Olympic gold without a quad, and according to the CoP then absolutely deserved to, but the CoP has changed again, and even Lysacek has gone back to training a quad, which he probably would have included in 2010 too, had he not had an injury that made training it risky. It's not just the jumps that have changed either. CoP rewards particular spin positions and types of footwork, as well as more difficult entrances and exits out of the jumps (or it's supposed to--sometimes the judging gets wonky). No one is looking to simplify a program in order to skate clean and win, because that's not going to work, at least not at the elite level.
    karalott, GabbyG, KatesMom and 1 others like this.

I didn't enjoy JR's attitude tonight. Yah I know he was in tremendous pain. But he said the F-word at the end of his first dance in front of a whole crowd and millions of viewers, and I just think people should have better control of their tempers than that. Then he wouldn't even muster a smile the rest of the night. It made me think he only has a good attitude when he's on top. I expected him to show more courage in a tough situation.
    Kirstie Alley said the "S-word" or something like that on the show when she danced and it was quickly bleeped. Marie Osmond apparently said "Oh Crap" when she came to after fainting (per Tom, and she did nod her head in agreement). JR saying the "F-word" while disappointing, was understandable.

He also did smile a couple of times last night, but it is VERY hard to smile when in a lot of pain. I had to personally juggle with three layers of clothing on in the sun with a second degree sunburn between my shoulderblades at an amusement park here. It was very hard to have that smile, and what kept me doing it was that I knew I'd be written up.

Anyone dancing these types of dances, including picking up and throwing around their dancer with a bum ankle shows more courage than most people.

In short - JR did nothing like Maks did this year or any of the dancers - pro or regular - have losing their temper. Just because he's a veteran doesn't mean that he has to not show emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton View Post
    I am really in the group that despises all things Kardashian, but Rob is dancing really well. JR still has the edge in my book because his good is way better than Rob, but Rob's lines are wonderful, and he has improved. Ricki is the one that bores me. If you rewatch her AT, she is just basically being pulled around or just standing there. It really was luducrous.
    I could not agree more with this statement!!!
    Florimel and GoingInCircles like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I am in agreement. I would be horrified if I were to be judged by the actions of members of my family - I am not them, they are not me. And I don't really get where a 24-year-old recent graduate who lives at home and hasn't got a career started yet is "mooching" off of their family. I am quite certain, particularly given the economic climate, that there are tens of thousands of recent grads living with their parents all across North America who are trying to get their assorted careers going and aren't planning on leeching off their parents forever.
    Well said. Given my family, I would also be horrified.

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton View Post
    Rob is actually trying something and enjoying something. I like the fact that this might be something he really enjoys and keeps up with. His mother and sisters, sans Kourtney, are extremely showy and annoying, but he is not a Kardashian on this show for me he is becoming a dancer. I can totally understand his comment about growing up. He had an overbearing mother and three overbearingly annoying sisters and than his father died. He was like a doll to them which suffocated his personality. It is believable to hear him say he finally feels on his own. I feel for any girl he ever dates or marries. They are going to be bothered something terrible.

Hope and Maks are so serious that it takes the fun out. I have rooted for some of the worst dancers on the show just because their attitudes were good. I can understand Maks and his attitude because the judges really all over the board, and it is getting old. However, Hope is just too serious all the time. I just think some athletes just cannot get past the need to win, and life it too short for that. Just look at JR, if he can be happy despite being disfigured for life, than get over yourself.

Ricki said the f word in her segment as well so it did not bother me to have JR say it. He has an extreme amount of pressure on his shoulders to win this with Karina. He knows as well as we do that Derek is the golden boy, and one slip up means he wins yet again. I am not going to fault him for showing anger for one night when I have no idea how much pain he was in. His regular show was cancelled so this was a new way for him to move on with his career, and now an injury. Unlike the others, he came into this without his other job being there when he was done.

Ricki is just driving me bananas. I cannot put a finger on it, but I do not enjoy her. I really do urge everyone to go back and watch her dances throughout the season. She does a lot of standing there with Derek jumping all over the place. I think too many people are just watching him and as long as his partner does not fall over, they think the dance is awesome. I wish just once he would not be in the finals. I would love to see JR, Rob, and Hope in the finals, but I know that will not happen.
    I use to really like Ricki, until this show. I know what you mean about not being able to put a finger on it. Derek is definately getting the scores.

Rob looks like he is having a great time when he performs. I am surprised he has come this far, to me it looks like he walks/clods around a lot. He has improved in his performance portion of his dances. It seems that Cheryl choreographs pretty much the same movements for him. When he talks about winning the mirror ball, it reminds me of Palin, they have drank the cool-aid of the judges praises. I like him a lot more than Palin though, he seems like a really nice kid.

Hope looks too serious, I can't tell if she is really that serious about this competition. Perhaps she doesn't really have a lot of personality. I do love her for calling CA out. She deserves the mirror ball for that.

JR hopefully will win this. With Rob getting the 10 for the cha cha, and JR getting the 6, I hope that next week the judges score the dances based on the difficulty of their dance, how well they performed it and not on how much they have improved over the season. I know they scored last night based on who they want in the finals ... JR has the following, so does Derek, and they gave Rob inflated scores to get him in over Hope.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I think I actually respect Maks a little less for caving in on this. I wish he would have told her off! Lawd knows she deserves it...
    I looked at Maks' twitter account. If it makes you feel any better, after his apology to CA, he posted a little winking smiley face. I'm not sure he meant for anyone to take the apology for smiling all that seriously.

+ Reply to Thread