+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: 11/7 DWTS13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 11/7 DWTS13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    Maybe they're building the arc up-J.R. and Karina get the champion edit, and Ricki starts a fall from grace.

Hope got my votes tonight. I still think overscoring Nancy and putting her in the real bottom 2 is going to spare her this week, but I guess seeing the hammer really fall as they scramble to save their chosen ones next week is worth it. At least if Hope goes out, it's on a high note. Maybe she and Maks should have duked it out the first week, and this could have been their experience.
    This! this! this!!

I'm still mystified by this idea that Ricki is arrogant or cocky. It feels like anyone who dares to talk like there's a competition going on is branded this way.

This season has sort of got me down, because (and I'm going to be vilified for saying this, but bear with me), once J.R. was cast and people learned of his story, it suddenly became a sin to root for anyone else more than him. He can do no wrong because of his story, the dancing becomes secondary in terms of who "deserves" to win the most. And I shouldn't have to say this, but I will anyway: OF COURSE I love J.R., and have nothing but respect and admiration for everything he's accomplished and endured -- and it's probably true that at the moment, he's the best dancer, too -- but that doesn't automatically mean that I have to root for him and find fault with everyone else.

I thought both J.R. and Ricki got the scores they deserved, in fact I think they both got one point more than they should have for their first dances. But I don't think Ricki is lacking in humility just because she's caught up in the spirit of competition. This isn't a beauty pageant, it's a ballroom dance contest, and in reality, professional ballroom competitions are pretty ruthless.

I'm tired of feeling like Derek has something to apologize for, and I'm tired of feeling like anyone who is his partner must have something wrong with their character. Derek can't get a break even in a season like this one, where he and his partner aren't even the frontrunners -- that totally belongs to J.R. & Karina, with Derek/Ricki in second. This week was the point where J.R. officially took the driver's seat for good, and it's going to take an earthquake during his freestyle for him not to win. And I'm happy for him, and it will be a joyous, sweet ending to the season. But I don't see why Ricki needs to be a villain in all this. Just my .02...
    Rattus, FranSeaLou, GabbyG and 3 others like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

OK, on tonight's performances:

1. JR and Karina rocked. While I know some would question a 30 for an insta-dance, given that the two looked like they had that song the whole week and were overall in sync it was earned. And yes, they deserved the first 30 of the season. I loved how JR celebrated as though he had won the entire show getting that (it was earned) but still remembered to compliment all of the dancers and their skills. He is gracious as well as celebrating. It's a nice balance.

Plus, I love how he is one of the few male celebrity (and I feel he earns it because he's a true hero and inspiration) dancers who will do all these splits and even attempt to do the jumps, such as those in the quickstep a few weeks ago. That was a very good toe touch in the beginning. And yes, you can see the joy and delight Karina has when she dances with him.

2. Derek and Ricki... sorry, but their scores were earned. They danced bad, especially the insta-dance. Hope and Maks were far better in that then this duo was. I still think they'll stay because Derek is the golden one if they're in the bottom two with anyone save JR and Karina or Hope and Maks, they'll be safe. I do think a bottom two appearance is warranted - they're good, and yes, I like Derek but they need a quick humbleness dose. (BTW, I'd say this if JR and Karina - my faves, act like this).

3. Hope and Maks - FINALLY we see them having fun and while I think the 25 might've been a little low, it was nice to see this attitude. I wish they had done whatever they did to get this way a few weeks ago, but still... their jive also was delightful (was it second in the insta-dance? - if so, warranted).

4. Rob and Cheryl - Honestly, I think they did bad, but they should stay a week over Nancy and Tristan. He took a dip in his skills from last week IMHO.

5. Nancy and Tristan - sorry, she can't dance. Even Bristol had better dancing skills than Nancy does, and this is saying something. That said, They may stay over Rob and Cheryl because people love Tristan. (and I admit, I do enjoy watching him dance and am glad he's up this high in the rounds to improve his chances in staying on the show as a regular).

And Nancy - please do NOT do a cartwheel ever again in dancing. You can't do one and it looked really, reall bad.

Overall, I would hope that it's Nancy and Tristan who are eliminated.

I have a disappointing feeling it'll be Hope and Maks.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I thought both J.R. and Ricki got the scores they deserved, in fact I think they both got one point more than they should have for their first dances. But I don't think Ricki is lacking in humility just because she's caught up in the spirit of competition. This isn't a beauty pageant, it's a ballroom dance contest, and in reality, professional ballroom competitions are pretty ruthless.
    It's just that her remarks like "I'm sorry I let everyone down" and "If we're lucky enough to be back next week..." ring so hollow. "I'm sorry I let everyone down" is something Chynna would have said after she totally blanked out in week 3. "If we're lucky enough to be back next week" is just plain ridiculous given where they have ranked during the whole competition. The only way that wouldn't happen is if the entire Occupy Wall Street movement laid down their arms and picked up a phone and called in votes for either Nancy and Tristan, Hope and Maks, or Rob and Cheryl. She knows she'll be in the finals and that was just a desperate attempt at a sympathy vote. At least they didn't talk about her ribs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I thought that Hope did a really nice job. I hope that Maks bears in mind in the future that positive reinforcement is a perfectly good teaching method.
    I think he got over his PMS too!
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I'm still mystified by this idea that Ricki is arrogant or cocky. It feels like anyone who dares to talk like there's a competition going on is branded this way.

This season has sort of got me down, because (and I'm going to be vilified for saying this, but bear with me), once J.R. was cast and people learned of his story, it suddenly became a sin to root for anyone else more than him. He can do no wrong because of his story, the dancing becomes secondary in terms of who "deserves" to win the most. And I shouldn't have to say this, but I will anyway: OF COURSE I love J.R., and have nothing but respect and admiration for everything he's accomplished and endured -- and it's probably true that at the moment, he's the best dancer, too -- but that doesn't automatically mean that I have to root for him and find fault with everyone else.

I'm tired of feeling like Derek has something to apologize for, and I'm tired of feeling like anyone who is his partner must have something wrong with their character. Derek can't get a break even in a season like this one, where he and his partner aren't even the frontrunners -- that totally belongs to J.R. & Karina, with Derek/Ricki in second. This week was the point where J.R. officially took the driver's seat for good, and it's going to take an earthquake during his freestyle for him not to win. And I'm happy for him, and it will be a joyous, sweet ending to the season. But I don't see why Ricki needs to be a villain in all this. Just my .02...
    I can't speak for everyone, but J.R.'s story took a back seat for me weeks ago. I really just enjoy him and his personality, and what he's bringing out of Karina (similarly, what Chaz brought out of Lacey). Karina's far from my favorite pro, but I'm happy for her that she at least got a contender, and unlike last season, isn't going to be thrown under the bus at the last second. I admire J.R., as I'm sure everyone does, for his service to our country, his courage, and the ability to laugh at himself over it. I don't like the fact there hasn't really been a contest; I just figure whoever Derek gets is automatically in the finals, and then there's J.R., who comes in as a virtual unknown but totally wows the crowd with his dancing and personality, and it helps he's in a season with no competition, and started the first week off against other polarizing personalities. I haven't really thought about his veteran status when watching him for a few weeks. In a season that I consider the worst and most miserable cast, I'm glad someone can go out there and have fun. I've said all along, my biggest issue with Derek is more what I consider favoritism towards him, which I know he can't help. I don't think Ricki's been deserving of being the leader every week that she has, and I think the judges (namely CA and Bruno) tend to award Derek more than they do how well his celeb can dance (and I know it can work the opposite way, too). I just don't get what's so special about Derek over everyone else. Ricki isn't a ringer, although I won't say she's the biggest challenge one could get. I think she's been getting a tad worse in the last few weeks, and I really thought tonight she bombed. Hope and J.R. were ahead of her in the jive. I thought Derek did the dancing, and it gave me flashbacks to Mark outdancing his partner. I guess there's expectations when you are partnered with certain pros, one could expect to just do well automatically. I don't really have a problem with anyone poking fun at the competition or wanting to do their best. But I think consistantly being the front runner and doing no wrong in the inconsistant judges eyes for weeks doesn't do one's ego or attitude any favors. A lot of issues I have is more with the editing/producers and how they go about treating/portraying certain pros and celebs over others, and I think this season it's been at it's worse. I used to love Ricki and was excited when I heard she was doing the show. I figured she could probably make me vote for Derek. I'm not sure when I started looking at her differently.

Ha! I rest my case! Maks changed his teaching style, and Hope improved by leaps and bounds. I hope he learned something from that.

I'd like to know how Rob got the same score on the Quick Step and Hope and Maks. His was half as fast and not as hard choreography-wise.

Nancy was still way over-scored. She should go home next, but we'll see what happens.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    Ha! I rest my case! Maks changed his teaching style, and Hope improved by leaps and bounds. I hope he learned something from that.

I'd like to know how Rob got the same score on the Quick Step and Hope and Maks. His was half as fast and not as hard choreography-wise.

Nancy was still way over-scored. She should go home next, but we'll see what happens.
    Yeah, even though the judges were totally up her skirt tonight, I don't see how she can escape the chop this week. If she does, there will be a riot, and I know because I'll be starting it.
    karalott, GabbyG, JavaJo and 1 others like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

A couple of things I noticed tonight and the questions I need answered!!!!!:

1) Is Ricki like HALF her starting size? How much weight has she lost in these few weeks (how many weeks of training?)?

2) Where did they find this lovely Tristan that is gracing my screen...geez! Was he in the troupe? Do we know if he is guaranteed to be back next season? When can/will we find out about next season's full cast?

3) How are so many bad dancers left? I like Hope and Nancy but they are atrocious...and Rob may be improving (and I use that word lightly) but he is still stomping/walking around while Cheryl dances. And now that Rob's family is top news I'm guessing he is pretty much guaranteed a ride to the finale.

4) Does Derek not have any friends or concerned family members? How are they letting him appear in public with that mess of fuzz on his face? It is SO bad!

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    A couple of things I noticed tonight and the questions I need answered!!!!!:

1) Is Ricki like HALF her starting size? How much weight has she lost in these few weeks (how many weeks of training?)?

2) Where did they find this lovely Tristan that is gracing my screen...geez! Was he in the troupe? Do we know if he is guaranteed to be back next season? When can/will we find out about next season's full cast?

3) How are so many bad dancers left? I like Hope and Nancy but they are atrocious...and Rob may be improving (and I use that word lightly) but he is still stomping/walking around while Cheryl dances. And now that Rob's family is top news I'm guessing he is pretty much guaranteed a ride to the finale.

4) Does Derek not have any friends or concerned family members? How are they letting him appear in public with that mess of fuzz on his face? It is SO bad!
    Seriously! Leonardo DiCaprio already made the Howard Hughes movie, so there's really no point in continuing to audition for the role.
    TIA__MA and GoingInCircles like this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

+ Reply to Thread