+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: 10/31 DWTS13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 10/31 DWTS13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

So I found it interesting that the Lift Police (CA) seemed to turn a blind eye to the very obvious (even though accidental) lift of Rob and Cheryl. He was pulling her across the floor and her foot came up by quite a bit. CA gave him a 9- does that mean since she deducted a point for the lift than it was originally a 10?? I don't think so. I have nothing against Rob, and I actually liked that dance, but Stevie Wonder could have seen that lift!
    GabbyG, nanarama and JavaJo like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    So I found it interesting that the Lift Police (CA) seemed to turn a blind eye to the very obvious (even though accidental) lift of Rob and Cheryl. He was pulling her across the floor and her foot came up by quite a bit. CA gave him a 9- does that mean since she deducted a point for the lift than it was originally a 10?? I don't think so. I have nothing against Rob, and I actually liked that dance, but Stevie Wonder could have seen that lift!
    She must have been blinded by love for her boy-crush. Frankly, I didn't see it either, but I was running back and forth to the door with trick or treaters, so I missed a number of things.

FORT Fogey

Does anyone else think that perhaps a shorter season, with fewer contestants, and no weeks where anyone had to learn two dances might make it easer for everyone involved? It seems like every season at this point, people get hurt, nerves get frazzled, the judges get crabbier etc. I don't think theme weeks help either. I suspect every single couple could have done better this week if they hadn't had to deal with the Halloween theme in terms of music and could have gotten music more suitable to the dances they were doing. Really, nobody got especially danceable music this week. The eighties week theme didn't work either. I think themes really only work when they're very broad, like last year's classical music week, which gave them a much better orchestra and a huge library of music from which to choose. But honestly, I don't know why they're necessary. I don't think anyone who's not already watching is going to tune in just because it's eighties week, for instance.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden
    Do you suppose it's okay to call CA a brainless bag of bones this week then too?
    OMG! Tilden, you always crack me up. *snort*

What a bunch of party poopers. Why didn't the hosts/all of the judges wear costumes too? Some of the costumes on other talk shows were great.

Anywho my faves tonight were JR, David and Rob. <-----(did I really type that?) It is too bad that JR got Ghostbusters as a song, kinda hard to tango to that tune. Still enjoyed their routine, but he did look stronger in the group dance.

David and Rob are definitely coming into their own and the progress is fascinating to watch. I wish David could just reign in his frantic-ness, when he does that he does quite well. Rob's tango was very good, and Bruno was right--it was manly. Look, the boy turns into in man right in front of our eyes. lol

Nancy was double doomed. Dance and song choice. She looked totally uncomfortable which was unusual. She was pretty awful in the group dance too. Did she even do the kicks at the end? I might've missed that.

Hope should go home. She looked like a sour puss tonight and it's obvious she isn't having fun anymore. She seemed to have fun with that troupe guy, but with Maks--wow, the tension between the two of them can't be hidden. She never really embraced this competition IMO.
    Last edited by JunkieGirl; 10-31-2011 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    I saw it, too, and thought exactly the same thing.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I had the word 'yikes' running through my mind as I watched tonight, and it had nothing to do with the Halloween theme. But I'm themed-out. What's the deal with having so many theme and story weeks? Having a Halloween theme every fall makes sense at least, but I hope next season, they scale back on story weeks, dedication weeks, weeks of inspiration, best moment of my life, year I was born, and butchering classic tunes from TV/Movies/Broadway/any decade. I don't think these themes are highly favored or anticipated. I continue to look at it as a way to just bring in more messing about, props, flashy dance moves, gimmicks, and less actual dancing. Cute costumes all around, but that's about the only good thing I can say about tonight. As for the actual dancing:

David: His dance didn't make much of an impression on me. I think David goes back and forth between being mediocre, and showing decent signs of improvement. I think he should be getting the improvement arc this season, but that's not saying much. He's a ton of fun to watch and I totally enjoy his and Kym's partnership together. They definitely bring out the best in each other, and I think this has been a good experience for David to have. I really hope he's in the finals over Rob. If there's a shocking boot tomorrow, I'm thinking it could be him.

J.R.: As I posted earlier, I'm kind of over pros complaining about getting crappy songs for their dances, though it does suck if it affects the performance. But Karina had to choreograph a foxtrot to 'Boom Boom Pow'-I consider that worse than a tango to Ghostbusters. However, it seems the complaints are more vocal this season about song selections and dances, so maybe that'll change next season (I can hope). I understood Len's comment about raising the bar, but wouldn't that mean that you should still top the leaderboard? And shouldn't everyone else have to work equally as hard to try and get to your level? And why hasn't it applied in the past to ringers that CA said raised the bar, but were praised, glorified, raved, and received 9s and 10s? J.R. is the dancer to beat, but either they're keeping him second for a reason, or they don't want him to win. This was probably one of J.R.'s weaker dances, but I still thought it was one of the best of the night. Ricki shouldn't have passed him. In fact, no one scores should have equalled his.

Nancy: Some people want Hope/Maks out of their misery, I want my Ukrainian eye candy to stick around and see the boring, overrated, overpraised and overscored TV prosecutor pitbull gone. That jive was horrible. Where was Len saying that was her worst dance of the season? Tristan's a keeper, but I hope it's Nancy saying farewell tomorrow. However, I think her fanbase will top Hope's and keep her in.

Rob: I really hate admitting that Rob is any sort of good, but his tango wasn't that bad. I still feel like Cheryl does most of the dancing while he stomps around, but he's come a ways from the first week. Ballroom seems to be better for him. I think he still has some tougher dances ahead, so we'll see how CA justifies for that. 9s it wasn't. I don't see what CA sees in him. I wouldn't say it was his best dance at all. But I think it's all for the Kardashian angle. And that Rob will likely make the finals but go out in third, and get the big spin on how he's grown from a boy to a man, has grown up, matured, and is finally out of his sister's shadows (until the DWTS press dies down, next season rolls along, and he doesn't get his own spin off on E!). Still an overrated dancer, but I'm resigned to the fact he's likely in the finals, or final 4 at least. CA needs to reign her hormones in.

Ricki: I remember the day when I liked Ricki Lake and looked forward to her being on the show. I don't get scoring her higher than J.R., as dance wise, hers doesn't come close to his. But Derek choreographs a show and that's what I think gets the scores, and the judges like him. Not surprised she got a dress covering her feet, or that they got the best song of the night, but I will admit it was a pretty good paso. However, that's a dance style I enjoy on this show, though I wish we didn't have so many set to pop/hip hop/r&b songs. But I blame editing on Maks, so I guess I have to be fair and say that Ricki's arrogant and entitled attitude could very well all be editing as well. I can't say she doesn't deserve to be in the finals, but I wish she had a different partner. And the dancing this season is so horrible, there really were no contenders from the first day except her, J.R., Kristin, and Chynna. And we saw what happened with the latter 2, so it's made an already predictable season even worse.

Hope: I feel even more sorry for these two. Hope just can't win. I don't believe seconds of editing spliced together to make Maks look like an ungrateful, arrogant, abusive a*****e. But I think that was the show's way of getting back at him for last week. I do think it's a little telling that Hope seems to get along and learn better with different pros. That I can't explain. Maks has had a variety of partners, in all sizes, attitudes, and abilities, and this year seems to be awkward. Maks wanted Hope, and it may be the only reason she got on the show, but I don't know if it's just two very like minded individuals clashing, an athlete that's so successful in her own craft but can't seem to catch on here, with a partner that knows she can do it but is getting frustrated with her doubting herself and not doing as well as she can. Hope isn't a dancer, but I thought she looked to be having fun tonight and looked better than last week. Teddy is also a keeper, and I hope when they add a new pro to the line up, it's him. I feel like it's their swan song tomorrow, but I really feel sorry for Maks and wouldn't blame him if he doesn't return. I'm hoping the spring season is better for him, as that's when some of his best partnerships have happened. Hope and Maks is like watching the awkwardness of Brandy and Maks all over again. I hope his toe is better.

Team Dances: I felt like Team Tango had more content, but it was a mess, and it didn't help they have to dance in obvious unision where they can't hide their flaws. Team paso was more of a show stopper, and I thought had a much better song to fit it. If it helps Hope stick around, I'm happy. Even if Team Tango seemed to have more dancing and less flash, I still would have given the win to Team Paso.
    GabbyG and nanarama like this.

I thought Rob did really well tonight. He has improved and I think he's gaining ab it of confidence in himself. Can't be easy when you are surrounded by his clan. Good for him.

I'm so over Ricki. I wouldn't be a bit upset if she was shown the door next.
    Nancy needs to go but I really adore Tristan. I hope he comes back as a pro next season.
    David cracks me up. Dancing with the skeleton behind Brooke's back was hilarious.
    Brooke was off tonight. She was actually pretty decent. Didn't flub as much and actually asked some semi-good questions.
    Love JR.
    Hope and Maks....yikes. I could feel the chill through my tv set. IMO, they really really don't like each other and that is what is affecting his ability to teach and her ability to learn.

The group dances...I thought they both stunk.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Apparently people have called CA out on twitter about the lift. She said she didn't see it, but is glad other people are spotting them. I figure if CA sees it but doesn't want to take off for it, she'll ignore it if she has no reason to justify not marking off. I'd love to see Len some week go after her and call a couple out for a lift after she didn't

Hope/Maks seem to be friendly off the show, so that's why I question how much of this is all editing, and whether it's the show (not each other) getting to them. I really hope Maks returns in the spring and can have a fun partner with ability. Is it too much to hope for that he could finally win? If they don't bring Maks back (or if he doesn't return), I hope at least Val is back and lasts longer. There was another article circulating about Hope not being able to stand Maks (courtesy once again of Star), and she called them out, asking who their sources were, and stood up for Maks.

I think it'll be Hope going tomorrow, possibly Nancy or David.

FORT Fogey

Where Hope's competitive nature shows is in the judging segment. She stands there with a sour expression anticipating criticism she feels unjust before it is given. Graciously accept it, smile and move on, Hope. This is an entertainment show, not the Olympics. Have some fun. Time for her to go.

JR is very good but a shade behind Ricki in my opinion. Her paso tonight was beautiful. Her grace and style shine above the rest. I think this is often missed by viewers in the shadow of the charismatic, war veteran. Women have so much more to learn and excute in all dances that it is difficult to compare. Men do a lot of highlighting the woman. The jive is probably an exception.

Though Nancy did not do well with the jive I think her fan base will keep her in and Hope will go. I would love to see Ricki win this but I just don't think that will happen. It almost doesn't matter how the rest of the dances are scored, JR has captured the hearts of the majority and he will win. That is okay. I fully accept this is not a serious dance competition and popularity is the key to winning.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 11-01-2011 at 04:44 AM.

FORT Fogey

My goodness does David have ADHD or something that guy is all kinds of manic. He seems like the sweetest guy, but I think he needs some calm down meds or something. His dancing would be a lot better if he had some focus.

Hope is like a hormonal teenage girl. I love Maks, and his attitude comes from his passion and the fact that even though he works hard he is always coming in the back of the pack unlike Derek. If Hope just smiled and relaxed a little, it would do wonders. I think she is used to being praised for her talent, and since so much of her life revolves around what she is good at, she is not used to criticism constructive or otherwise.

JR is getting shafted period. Karina gets the same treatment as Maks. Possibly they are harder to work with than Derek, but she is an amazing dancer and it is time the judges took their preferences out of the mix and judge what they see. No way was Ricki better than JR. Derek has a unique way of overdancing so much that you have to stare at him and it makes his partners fade into the background. I think that is Tony's undoing. He dances to the speed of his partner so their problems stick out more.

I am sick of watching Nancy dance. Tristan is so cute that at least I have something to watch, but the poor guy was going in such slow motion to try and encourage her but he still could not dumb his dancing down to her level. I do not think she lifted her knees up at all in the kicks. It was truly painful to watch.

Just like Kim and her irritating mother to not let Rob finish the season and get some attention. It is always all about them. I wish Rob would come across a little more humble and nice because I feel for him always being in the shadow of them vipers. I have no problem with him being able to continue though because he is improving, and he is a decent dancer.

I am so over Derek. He is an amazing talent. He has some of the most beautiful dancing skills I have ever seen, but we get it. This is not battle of the pros. It doesn't even matter whom his star is because all the judges see is him. As long as he is on the show if he was partnered with a wax figure of a star he would win or make it to the finals.
    TIA__MA and mandmmom2 like this.

+ Reply to Thread