+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: 10/25 Results Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: 10/25 Results Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I didn't watch Warren's season, so I can't comment on that. I did, however, watch The Woz's season and Bruno did make inappropriate weight-related comments to him. Maybe he only makes the comments about the overweight men who are bad dancers? In particular, the dance The Woz did with the feather boa resulted in a few inappropriate weight related comments from Bruno.
    Or he could have been scared of Warren Warren was a very large football player, after all. I was more annoyed at Bruno's "whatever" reaction after Chaz's confessional. I remember last season, they never touched on the Karina/pussy-gate comments and didn't interview them during the finale. I'd rather just see them critique the dancing, and leave whatever else out of it. Even Tom seemed a little on edge last night.

FORT Fogey

Since Mark's won twice (Kristie, Shawn), I'm not sure you can say that Maks has been luckier with partners than he's been. And even when Maks has gotten a decent partner, someone else has always had one just as good and/or with more of an established, loyal fan base.

It does seem kind of unfair that a handful of pros--the Houghs, Mark, Kym, and Cheryl--have won multiple times while other pros with strong dance and teaching backgrounds seldom make it even near the finals. I've always felt bad for Louis, who seemed to be the one they gave anyone they felt had emotional issues. Granted, he seemed to handle those kinds of problems well, but really, give him a shot to show what he could do when he wasn't stuck playing counselor as well as instructor. For that matter, if it's really about the celebrities, is it absolutely necessary that they have the same partner every week? Would it be possible to switch it up at some point, so that different people would be working together? Certainly that shouldn't bother the pros, since they have to work with different partners all the time, and those who teach must have multiple students with whom they work.
    AZChristian likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    Or he could have been scared of Warren Warren was a very large football player, after all. I was more annoyed at Bruno's "whatever" reaction after Chaz's confessional. I remember last season, they never touched on the Karina/pussy-gate comments and didn't interview them during the finale. I'd rather just see them critique the dancing, and leave whatever else out of it. Even Tom seemed a little on edge last night.
    I really think the show's producers need to sit down after this season and consider some changes in the way partners are assigned and the judging rules. If they were looking for particular things in each dance, and the audience was made aware of what they were looking for, as well as the pros and stars, that would help a lot. They also need to try to establish what does and doesn't constitute an appropriate judging remark. At this point, CA just goes fangirl giggly too much of the time and when she does make comments they aren't exactly specific enough to be helpful. Bruno is more interested in being the center of attention than in providing useful criticism. Len can, and occasionally does, provide useful criticism, but he can get over the top grumpy too (sometimes I wonder if that isn't partially due to being stuck between CA and Bruno and their antics). It also seems to get worse over the course of the season, so maybe people just get tired at a certain point. It could be a problem that Len is trying to do both DWTS and SCD, and it's just a lot to do all at once. Let's face it, no one's at his/her happiest or best if he/she is feeling tired or overworked.

By the way, with all the talk about disrespect, I think they should also talk to the judges about respecting each other, since they feel free to insult each other too. Oh, yeah, and it might help to stop encouraging the audience to get so involved in the chanting, cheering, booing etc. They're never going to get complete silence, but they could step in to stop the reactions earlier.
    NFL1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    No, where is that? JR thought he was rude. WTG JR!!!

Where the heck did anyone say JR thought Maks was rude????

Quote Originally Posted by tango7 View Post
    As far as Chaz and the weight comments/complaints:
    Warren Sapp and Steve Wozniak were both overweight men. Contrary to what Chaz said, they were not mocked. Besides, Warren could DANCE. (I realize he had athletic training, but he was still a really big guy and he improved each week. He also had a great personality.)

The judges were easy on Chaz throughout the competition. I really donít think Brunoís comments were weight-related.

Oh how I loved Warren! Wasn't he up against Brooke ???

FORT Fogey

Not sure about this cast being less interesting, I'm back for the first time since the "all about Donny Osmond" season...because I liked many in the cast and wanted to see how they did (Carson, Hope, Chaz, David, Ricky).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    Where the heck did anyone say JR thought Maks was rude????
    All I've read with regard to criticism from JR is that he said that Maks may have taken it (standing up to the judges) a little far. He didn't use the word rude. In fact, I don't think anyone's used the word rude, unless CA has. I didn't really see Louis' comment as being pro-Len and anti-Maks either. He said that talking back to the judges isn't allowed in the professional dance world but he also seemed to understand that the scoring/comments on DWTS can be maddening as well. The most critical comments came from Derek, but then Maks has now been publicly critical of him too.

Really, if I were in the pros' position, I think I'd try to be relatively non-committal as well, because if you take a strong stand either way, you're just fanning the fires. If the press/show's producers don't get a bunch of dramatic comments they can use to manufacture controversy, the whole thing will eventually just die out. And who wants to be in the middle of someone else's argument in the midst of trying to train a "star" to be a dancer?

I also wouldn't be surprised if Maks took a break from DWTS after this season. He prefers NYC to LA, he's made it clear he's tired of the favoritism on the show, and he's got other business interests to keep him busy. If he's thinking of doing that anyway, he hasn't got a lot to lose by pointing out that the Emperor's new clothes are invisible. Or at least as skimpy as one of Edyta's old costumes.
    Moontat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    By the way, with all the talk about disrespect, I think they should also talk to the judges about respecting each other, since they feel free to insult each other too. Oh, yeah, and it might help to stop encouraging the audience to get so involved in the chanting, cheering, booing etc. They're never going to get complete silence, but they could step in to stop the reactions earlier.
    I agree, but I think it is all part of a carefully orchestrated shtick to encourage audience involvement for the "entertainment" factor. It is all so predictable, though, isn't it? We know that every show curmudgeonly Len is going to say something critical, the audience will interrupt him with boos, and Len will look around bewildered and engage the audience with his "don't boo me I'm just speaking the truth" act. I don't mind if the audience expresses itself with boos, but I would actually like to see Len just ignore most of it, which would give him a few more seconds to give some constructive tips about specific technical aspects of the dance the couple did or did not do well.

A few other random thoughts:

I watch DWTS to be entertained, but I would also really enjoy learning more about the required elements in a specific dance. I think it would help the audience better appreciate the intricacies of each dance. There is so much filler right now, it seems like they could spend a few minutes to have some pros demonstrate the basic steps to look for in the particular dances we will see that night. Wishful thinking, I guess.

I am not a huge fan of Derek, but I do appreciate and enjoy his choreography and skill. I would love to see him assigned a star with lesser dancing skill, just to see if he could somehow make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. It would be fun to see.

J.R. for the win!
    KatesMom and AZChristian like this.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Since Mark's won twice (Kristie, Shawn), I'm not sure you can say that Maks has been luckier with partners than he's been. And even when Maks has gotten a decent partner, someone else has always had one just as good and/or with more of an established, loyal fan base.

It does seem kind of unfair that a handful of pros--the Houghs, Mark, Kym, and Cheryl--have won multiple times while other pros with strong dance and teaching backgrounds seldom make it even near the finals. I've always felt bad for Louis, who seemed to be the one they gave anyone they felt had emotional issues. Granted, he seemed to handle those kinds of problems well, but really, give him a shot to show what he could do when he wasn't stuck playing counselor as well as instructor. For that matter, if it's really about the celebrities, is it absolutely necessary that they have the same partner every week? Would it be possible to switch it up at some point, so that different people would be working together? Certainly that shouldn't bother the pros, since they have to work with different partners all the time, and those who teach must have multiple students with whom they work.
    I think switching up the pros each week would be worth a try.

Clearly Derek has never been given a Cloris Leachman or But except for the ringers, I honestly don't think the producers know who's going to do well. A good dancer needs technique (you'd think athletes would have a bit of an advantage here as they're used to training their bodies to move in specialized ways); musicality (you'd think singers and musicians would have an advantage), and acting/playing to an an audience (you'd think anyone who's worked in front of an audience would have a bit of an advantage). Some athletes do well; others have two left feet dancing. Some singers do well; others (Michael Bolton, Billy Ray Cyrus, for example), bomb. At the start of their seasons, I didn't have any reason to expect Helio Castroneves, Emmitt Smith, or Kyle Massey to have any special talent for dance. On the other hand, I thought Monica Seles and Floyd Maywether would do well.

Someone mentioned this earlier. I don't know what MAKS wants, but I'd like for Derek to get a dud and the show to get all new judges. Most of us will agree that, regardless of who we like or dislike, the judging is inconsistent and one of the reasons is that different criteria is used for different couples. So handicap the celebs. Have the judges sit in on the last two weeks of pre-show practices, handicap them and then judge straight across the board. That should cut down on a lot of the nonsense.

+ Reply to Thread