+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: 10/25 Results Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 10/25 Results Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Did anyone see the E! News report on the dustup? At the very end of it, they showed footage of some sort of mishap that caused an explosive sound during what must have been an attempt to interview Ricki. Anyway, Derek, who had apparently just been interviewed, was behind Ricki and to her right, and jumped when he heard the sound. But he jumped to the right, which made it look like he was jumping behind Ricki for protection (I'm sure he wasn't--but it made me laugh when he reacted on reflex and ended up looking as if he'd done that). Then Ricki looked around for him and, again, reflexively, I think, jumped in front of him, as if protecting him, and Derek then tried to jump in front of her as protective male. It all looked like something from Three's Company.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be mean. I don't think Derek was being cowardly or Ricki was deliberately trying to be the protective Mama Bear. It's just that the way in which they were caught in the frame of the shot at the time made it look just that silly. I suspect they may think it looked funny if they saw it too.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Well . . .

Chaz is gone, but, I think this had become painful for him in more ways than one (dancewise, it just wasn't there), so . . .

It was time, I think.
    Honestly, it was his time to go, and he lasted a lot longer than he was probably expected to last when he was cast. He didn't have a legitimate shot at winning, I'm afraid the jive--if he was ever given it--would have really hurt his knees, and he got his message across, which seemed to be his major motivation in being on the show.

As for Nancy still being there, I think a lot of factors are playing into that. She has a new pro who's unexpectedly generated a lot of immediate interest, her network is pushing the show heavily, and she's publicly stated that she's giving all of her appearance fees to the fund for missing and exploited children. People may be voting for Tristan or because they like her show (or network) or because they just want to support someone who's giving her appearance fees to a worthwhile cause.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I get that Chaz was hurt by the comments and that no one can determine how he feels but him. But in comparison to some of the things that were said to other dancers, I think he's being overly sensitive. Most of the objectionable comments came from Bruno, and they were typical Bruno comments. Bruno critiques with analogies, and uses his silly comparisons to create a visual of what he means. He does it with everyone in every season. Chaz could have known going into the show that he'd be subjected to such comments, and could have turned the show down if he didn't want to be a part of it. Other people were told week after week that they were horrible dancers, while he was treated very gently. The pengiun comment came from the fact that he was wearing a tux, often referred to as a penguin suit. He wasn't being called an animal in a derogatory way. You can find offense in any comment if you choose to search for it, and I think Chaz got swept up in the hurt that other contestants were feeling, and decided to search some out himself.
    I must respectfully disagree. By whose standards do we judge that someone is being "overly sensitive"? It is not a quantifiable standard. And just because the hurtful comments were typical Bruno comments, it does not excuse them. Admittedly, Bruno has had some funny remarks over the years. I have actually enjoyed hearing him take dancers down a peg or two when they have a really bad attitude and are not giving any effort whatsoever (e.g., Master P and Kate Gosselin). But Bruno displays classic bully tendencies. He is very quick to mock those he feels appear as weaker individuals. People who are perceived as weak do not garner the same respect as those who are viewed as strong.

Chaz wearing a tux gave Bruno the perfect opening for his cutting remarks. Can we imagine for 1 second Bruno making a penguin crack about a more svelte dancer wearing a tux? Of course not. Can we ever imagine Bruno making a wisecrack to JR that it would have been fitting if he had portrayed the disfigured Phantom? That would have been horrifying. JR is a hero, and his sacrifices for us and our country cannot be stated enough. Chaz is a hero in a different way to many people. He is just as deserving of respect as anyone else, even if he is a terrible dancer.

Bruno can act (and I do mean act) surprised and shocked all he wants that someone would be hurt by his personal insults, but he knows he is exploiting certain people for cheap laughs. That just does not sit well with me.
    Rattus, GabbyG and ibot2much like this.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tango7 View Post
    Or something? Actually, if you're curious about her background you can google her.

Among other things,
    Inaba has choreographed several television series, including American Idol, American Juniors, All American Girl, He's a Lady, In Search of the Partridge Family (in which she also appeared on air), Married by America, The Sexiest Bachelor in America Pageant, The Swan, and Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire?. She also choreographed the Miss America Pageant for five years.
    None of this shows any knowledge of, or experience in, ballroom dancing. All she does as a pretense for understanding ballroom is call people out on lifts, real and imaginary. Otherwise, her comments are pretty much all based on emotional responses to the dance.
    mindy384 likes this.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post

Chaz wearing a tux gave Bruno the perfect opening for his cutting remarks. Can we imagine for 1 second Bruno making a penguin crack about a more svelte dancer wearing a tux? Of course not. Can we ever imagine Bruno making a wisecrack to JR that it would have been fitting if he had portrayed the disfigured Phantom? That would have been horrifying. JR is a hero, and his sacrifices for us and our country cannot be stated enough. Chaz is a hero in a different way to many people. He is just as deserving of respect as anyone else, even if he is a terrible dancer.
    If that person was waddling around like a penguin, then yes, im sure he would have. These people are on a show (where they are getting paid) to perform and be critiqued about it. What Bruno said was hardly an insult as much as it was an observation. HE LOOKED LIKE A PENGUIN! Why cant people say what they think in this country anymore without having feelings hurt? If Chaz didnt want to have to listen to hard criticism about his horrible dancing, then he should have rejected the money DWTS offered him to be on the show.
    And comparing Chaz' weight to JR scars is just ludicrous. If Bruno said something about that, I could see someone getting upset. Chaz isnt heavy because he was defending this country. JRs face has nothing to do with his dancing. Its two totally different things.

In the end its a purely an entertainment show.We all get caught up in it.I am sure half of this is rigged, including the outburst. Without controversy, I doubt we would watch at all.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Its like he was the only one criticised, which is wrong. I dont like him, I dont see whats so special about him at all.

What????
    Moontat and JavaJo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Maks was on GMA this morning, and he once again apologized for the "my show" remark, saying what was in his head came out wrong, and that he did intend it to mean that it was his show in the sense that it was his show, just as it is the show of everyone who participates on it regularly, because it becomes something of a second home or family. I tend to believe that, since the comments right after the "my show" remark had to do with including the rest of the cast as co-owners, so to speak, of the show. Besides, he was upset and English wasn't his first language, and it is possible that's not what he actually meant, given the context of the remarks.

However, on GMA, he very explicitly said that's all he had to apologize for, and then he really let loose with both barrels. He pointed out that the judges are allowed to make whatever insulting comments they like about the dancers (he specifically mentioned "comparing us to animals") without apologizing, and yet they aren't allowed to say anything in return, which is basically true. Bruno never apologized on air (or at all, really) for his revolting pussy remark with regard to Karina last years, for instance. The most he said was that English wasn't his first language and he didn't mean pussy in that sense. Personally, I find it kind of hard to believe that Bruno, the king of the double entendre, didn't know that's how the word pussy could be taken, but even if he didn't, he could still have told Karina that he was sorry he inadvertently offended her. Then, when they asked him about what he thought of other dancers going to the judges afterwards and apologizing for his (Maks') remarks, he let loose on Derek, who apparently did exactly that. He said that if he'd been given Nicole, Jennifer, and Ricki in a row as partners, he might find the judges' marks and comments "fair" too. Man, it's going to be interesting in the celebraquariam this week. Seems to me it would be a very good idea to bring Carson back, because Brooke will just stupidly fan the flames, whereas Carson might be able to keep everyone laughing.

Later, they had Lacey and Chaz on, and they both (wisely, IMO) politely refused to make any kind of comments with regard to what Maks had just said. Lacy did say, however, that the judging has been unfair and inconsistent, and Chaz reiterated his earlier statement that overweight women are praised for losing weight on the show, but he was compared to things that are round--Ewoks, basketballs, penguins etc. (though, really, I don't think penguins are exactly round)--because he's a guy. I've been trying to remember--were the Woz or Kyle or Warren treated similarly, because they were all heavier male contestants? Kyle and Warren were, obviously, much better dancers, which may have mitigated those remarks, but the Woz certainly wasn't. I also saw a clip of Lacey on E! saying that the judges have their favorite couples and she and Chaz just weren't that this season. Realistically, though, however sensitive Chaz has been to Bruno's remarks, they may not have been absolute judging favorites, but they were, for the most part, treated more gently than a number of people have been this season or in past seasons, including people who were better dancers.

OMG I love that man more and more everyday!

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    None of this shows any knowledge of, or experience in, ballroom dancing. All she does as a pretense for understanding ballroom is call people out on lifts, real and imaginary. Otherwise, her comments are pretty much all based on emotional responses to the dance.

Hey! They forgot her most successful gig - she was a fly girl on In Living Color

FORT Fogey

Was there any dancing on most of the reality shows that Carrie Ann is credited with? For The Swan or Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire, what exactly did she do? Show the women how to walk to a mark that was taped onto the stage?
    Moontat and jucamer like this.

+ Reply to Thread