+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: 10/24 DWTS13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: 10/24 DWTS13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Bjaminsmom View Post
    Either they are going to judge them all on technique or not. The judges have their favorites and it has been very few seasons I have watch all the way through. My husband and I always take a bet at the beginning of the season as to how long before I get disgusted and turn the channel on the tv. I just can't tolerate Bruno and like CA even less. I use to think Len was the only sane judge but this season I can't even listen to his garbage. The judges need to get over themselves. It is about the Pros/Celebs. I don't tune in to listen to their nonsense.

I like to be entertained but I also appreciate good ballroom. I don't like the flashy dances (sans Derek or Mark) where half the time I'm thinking "Now what was the dance style they are doing?". At least with Maks, Tony and even Cheryl I can tell the dance style.

I will probably tape the rest of the season and FF through all the crap to watch JR dance. Everyone else is not interesting. Derek doesn't have a ringer really this season but the butt kissing and sucking up has put her in a "ringer" position. I think I'm done with this show. Thank goodness, I will now have Monday nights free.
    I wonder if maybe Len is just getting tired. He's a ballroom expert and probably more of a purist than the other 2. He can have a good laugh, but he seems to be the only one who judges on technical aspects and gives actual constructive criticism. I still love the look of death he gave CA for criticizing Nancy's quickstep, when Len said that's what he had been waiting for (and CA saying she couldn't believe he gave it an 8-I couldn't, either, but not enough fun and flash for you CA, and too much dancing?) Maybe it makes her head spin if they actually dance and she has to critique them on something she has no knowledge of. I could go back to the format of the first 5 seasons and be perfectly fine with it. The same two dance styles a week, and actual dancing, and not being forced into themes and horrible music choices and costumes that hide flaws (but only get called out if the judges don't like you), and props, and stunts, and the pros drawing the attention to themselves. I guess after typing all that out, I can't entirely blame Mark for thinking it's all about him. I hate even more when a celeb has a difficult time because of the theme, or music, and gets called out on it when it was probably the pros last idea of wanting to do it. Maks himself said he didn't like 80s week. What's the point? Tom had a funny tweet on his twitter; someone must have asked him about doing a Glee themed week, because he responded their Glee week will be after their NCIS themed week I'd like to see them actually just dance one week. No themes, messing about, wasting time on entrances and exits, no overdancing by the pro, and no long costumes or boots covering the celebs feet. Just let them go out and dance from the second the song starts, and see how good they really are when they can't hide behind anything.

Once Hope/Maks are gone, I'm done. I'll still check in, as I love chatting with the FORT, but I only care about David (who isn't going to win), and J.R. (but he's either a foregone conclusion to win or will get second as Ricki nearly has a heart attack that she beat her fake rival). I don't think I could take a Ricki victory I don't think there'd be enough kleenex in the world between her and CA. It's already a given who the final 2 is, barring a shocker, and I'm sure David will end up just missing out on the finals for either Rob or Chaz. Of course, TPTB may figure it's better to not totally bomb an already horrible season. Even season 10 with Nicole and Evan as the obvious final 2 seemed more fun and suspenseful.
    AZChristian likes this.

I actually like the judges - they do make specific comments about what necessary parts of the dance were absent/needs improvement - and I think it was horrible of Maks to be so disrespectful.
    maude~flanders and Fanny Mare like this.
    Count your blessings!

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I see no reason for Maks to treat Len that way. It was disrespectful and rude. Whether or not he is frustrated, he needs to grow up and act like a big boy - not a spoiled baby having a temper tantrum.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

I see no reason for the judges to disrespect Hope - Maks was tired of it and I'm glad he told them off. It needed doing - and he did it.
    BTW, karalott, ness and 3 others like this.

In terms of this season by itself, Maks has a point about the judging being so off-the-charts and subjective. But in general, I don't think he did himself or the show any favors with his talkback, or his comments since then. Len is the only good judge the show has -- he is as valuable to the show as Tom is. Carrie-Ann should have been fired years ago, and Bruno needs a good talking-to so he changes his ways. But Len is the one link between this show and actual ballroom dancing, which is what the stars and the pros are SUPPOSED to be striving to do.

Part of the problem is all the theme weeks and other gimmicks that the show has piled on to the competition; it's getting so that the judges don't know what they're supposed to be scoring on more, the actual dancing or the presence of the theme/gimmick. And it should be about the dancing, otherwise what's the point of the show?

Also, the showrunners need to do something about the excessive yelling and booing from the audience whenever the judges open their mouths. It's no wonder Len is fed up, and that C-A has been reduced to a babbling idiot, and that they all awkwardly squabble so much now. Their opinions should matter, and the show needs to stop turning into a free-for-all every 10 minutes. I can see Tom getting frustrated too.

Back to Maks -- I don't care how he qualified the statement today, it is NOT his show. His words would mean more to me if Hope had any chance of getting better, but the sad fact is, she's bad, and to make it worse, she's unteachable. I'm sure that has to be frustrating to him, but he's taking it out on the wrong people. He can yell and CA and Bruno for being clowns, but not at Len. Len's just trying to judge dances for their resemblance to real ballroom while the show is slowly turning into a big mess around him.

And Maks is a really good choreographer, but I haven't seen anything spectacular this season. That's probably because he can't teach anything new or different to Hope, so it's not his fault. Ricki isn't a great dancer, and certainly way below the usual ability level of a Derek partner, but at least Derek can get her to meet him halfway enough to attempt the harder/more elegant steps. Poor Hope is just...well, hopeless. And Maks won't be getting a trophy this year, again. But ultimately, that's really not Len's fault.
    karalott, pikachu and Arielflies like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Ė Abraham Lincoln

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    I see no reason for the judges to disrespect Hope - Maks was tired of it and I'm glad he told them off. It needed doing - and he did it.
    I can agree that both were probably in the wrong. The judges pull out sunshine and unicorns for Chaz, but totally blasted Carson, who was as bad of a dancer. And they can't find anything positive to say about Hope? Maks at least acknowledged everyone that's been on the show, past and present, and it seemed like his comments were aimed at the fact the judges can't find anything constructive to say. Len's "worst dance" comment probably tipped the scales. There's something else I'd like to see banned: having the judges tell them it was their best/worst dance. Because, really, they always have room to grow. Unless they're a ringer, they're not a pro. And saying it's their worst dance isn't exactly a confidence booster. I think Maks's remark about Len needing to get out was meant to be a joke, but because the other judges and Tom intervened it got out of control. I still don't think it's the worst bust up I've seen. Maks seems to respect Len just fine, and Len acknowledges it was all heat of the moment. I don't like to see any pros or celebs pick a fight, because it's not why I watch, and I don't want to see them give in to what the producers are craving. Besides, I think it only fuels CA and Bruno's egos. Len will probably let it slide off his back in the end. He seems checked out this season. So does Tom, for that matter. If they ever replace any judge, I do worry it'll be Len, or he'll decide to leave. And whatever replacement or 4th judge they decide to add (if they do) will probably mirror CA and Bruno more.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-25-2011 at 08:34 PM.
    Dahlia97 likes this.

There's something else I'd like to see banned:
    What I'd like to see banned is the dancers going up to the judges desk performing all kinds of silliness. The judges area should be totally off-limits. No perching, no kissing, no muggin, no putting leg up, NOTHING. It's really annoying.
    karalott, Allie and JavaJo like this.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Len did not disrespect Hope. He told her that he believed in her, but that it was her worst dance. He was right. She did a terrible job on that dance. Whether or not they gave Chaz a hard time has nothing to do with it. Maks went off on Len and treated him in a horrible way. There was no reason for his actions, other than temper. He needs to learn to control himself.
    If, on the other hand, Maks had kept his mouth shut, Hope would have had the viewers' sympathy. It is hard to watch someone trying and failing, and people love an underdog. But, because she is acting like a poor sport, and Maks is acting like a baby, they are making themselves look petty and ungracious.
    pikachu and norealityhere like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    I agree. She's not the worst dancer this season. She is also hard enough on herself because she's struggling that the judges don't need to pile more on her. I'm glad Maks spoke up. I think it got out of hand, but they are ridiculous. CA has no clue what she's even watching half the time and Bruno can't sit in his seat and just give feedback..he has to make a production every time he speaks. Sometimes it seems as if they relish cutting a celeb off at the knees. Pretty soon, they'll be hard pressed to get anyone to even sign up for it. There is no need for them to be mean.

I'm over Ricki, too. She needs to go away. I used to like her but after seeing her on this show...ugh. And Cheryl doesn't seem herself. I've noticed her stumble during several of her performances with Rob. She's just not graceful this season for some reason. It's odd.

And I seriously want to eat Tristan up with a spoon. My God...I love that boy. He's delicious.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by RickiRick View Post
    I look at Mak's blowup as pent-up frustration that was just triggered by the "worst dance" comment followed by "Mak's fault" comment.

On one hand, I'm glad for this blowup since the judging is a real joke. Best words are arbitrary and capricious. The inconsistencies are not limited to Hope & Maks, but she has clearly received the blunt of the nasty "not living up to my expectations" comments.

On the other hand, I don't think that Maks has been the best partner for Hope. She is too sensitive for his "tough love" training, his choreography isn't really flattering to her, she needs to portray affection for Maks during these dances but he makes it difficult by the way he treats her in practice. I think he treated Kirstie much nicer. I donít think he ever recovered from Hope telling him that he was more girly than her. I kept thinking, during Mak's rant, that he should be replaced by Val, or if Hope had started the season with someone like Tony she would be a contender.

In any case, I voted for Hope since I think she is better than Chaz, Iím tired of the Kardasians, and donít care for Nancy. (Did anyone notice during a standing ovation that everyone was standing except Kim Kardasian and her sister(s)? I donít recall who the dance was for, but looked like they were still bitter about Robís score.)
    I did! I meant to comment on it but we are having computer issues....and everytime I go to post something it doesn't post.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

+ Reply to Thread