+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 10/17 Show Discussion DWTS 13 *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 10/17 Show Discussion DWTS 13 *West Coast Spoilers*

First of all, I want to say that I completely agree with Karalott about the camera work/angles being worse on the new set. The camera is all over the place, and I think that it takes away from performances.

Hope: I really do think that the judges, well perhaps Carrie Ann and Len, don't seem to like Hope for some reason. If I am wrong about that, well, that is how they both come across in their comments. And they criticize her for not being feminine enough or doing a better job of acting, yet they give others a free pass for other things that are just as noticeable. If it appears that Maks has checked out this season, I imagine that it is because he sees the writing on the wall.

If it weren't a complete travesty for JR to not make the finals, it would serve them right to end up with Chaz, Nancy and Rob in the finale. I bet that there would be a major dropoff in the ratings if that were to happen. I wonder if they would then get the message that we aren't interested in the controversy.
    karalott and nanarama like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Derek broke so many "rules" for that Foxtrot that I had a hard time remembering which dance they were supposed to be doing.
    I wasn't watching for foxtrot "rules" because I totally missed what style they were supposed to be doing. When they were done & somebody happened to use the word foxtrot, I was sitting there going, "FOXTROT?? When? where? That was NOT a foxtrot; NO WAY!" I don't know what the heck they DID do, but that didn't look like any foxtrot I've ever seen!!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I actually don't have a problem with the judges bringing out the higher scores earlier in the season if the dancing justified the score. I think the judges need to consider not only the skill level shown that week but the skill shown over the continuum of the season. Obviously, it doesn't make much sense to give someone a 10 in the third episode unless they do so well at the dance, there's no way they could do it better with more practice in the coming weeks.

It seems like the judges are sliding into giving scores of 7-8-9 earlier in the season because "the dancers are trying so hard" but to me, that shouldn't be the reason for a good score. The score should reflect the skill the dancer showed, nothing else. Some dancers may put forth an earnest effort and still suck at their dance while other dancers may take naturally to their dance and do well at it right from the start. That's just the way it is. IMO, if anyone is allowed to give sympathy votes for a dancer's effort rather than their skill, it's the audience, not the judges.

FORT Fogey

Am I correct that Maks and Tristan are brothers? They both have very different accents.

BTW
    FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Am I correct that Maks and Tristan are brothers? They both have very different accents.
    Maks and Val are brothers. They are Russian or Slavik. Tristan is Scottish (Irish)??

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Derek broke so many "rules" for that Foxtrot that I had a hard time remembering which dance they were supposed to be doing.
    The way Kym was telling David not to worry about breaking hold this week, I figured the judges weren't being as strict about dance requirements when they have to mix the 80's style into it. Not 100% sure if that's correct, but I didn't hear them coming down on any couple by saying "That was not a real (insert dance here)." But I saw plenty of fox trot steps in there.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by BTW View Post
    Maks and Val are brothers. They are Russian or Slavik. Tristan is Scottish (Irish)??
    Tristan is Irish, and Maks and Val are from the Ukraine. Although if all 3 were related, what a beautiful gene pool that would be

Speaking of Maks, I read his twitter post show, and he didn't really seem comfortable incorporating the 80s style into the tango. He said he didn't remember the 80s but it was fun. Of course, he grew up in the former USSR during the 1980s, so it probably has a different feel for it. I think, with all the theme weeks, that they are a lot more lax on the rule breaking, gimmicks, and messing about. Tom even gave that disclaimer last week that they wouldn't be holding couples accountable for any props. I think it's overkill, and to those pros that don't really want to use it, it must be harder. Plus, the judges are inconsistant with their criticism and who gets marked off for what.

Longhornfan, I completely agree about your comment regarding Maks. I think he and Carson/Anna know it's a neverending battle and no matter what they do, it'll be wrong. I always felt CA had a bit of a grudge against Maks and Tony, since they're always the two who call her out more on not knowing what she's talking about. I don't know what got in Len's cornflakes this season, but he's about as bad as the other two. You know it's bad when Bruno's the only one I can tolerate I do agree it would serve the producers right to get a finale of Chaz, Rob, and Nancy, because I'd love to see what they'd do there. Obviously, I think one of the 3 will make the finales, but go out third, and then it'll come down to Ricki and J.R. Since they see the fan scores behind the scenes, they know how to tinker with the judges scores and comments to bring someone down (and if that doesn't work, throw in a WTA dance and give them a freebie).

My concern is that they tend to bring out the worst in each other. If Mark is there overdancing, Derek may very well start dancing with him/at his level. I suppose it may have been the girl's wish to dance with the two of them, but I'd rather see her with someone where there was no doubt but that she would be presented as the star.
    I wonder if it's more the Hough envy-Mark trying to prove he's as good as Derek, that people need to watch him as much as Derek, and that it's like when they were younger and kids hated them because they always won all the competitions. I think like CA is still stuck in her fly girl days, Mark is still stuck back in his past as a kid with Derek and Julianne. If it were a Saved by the Bell remake, I'd consider him the Screech.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-18-2011 at 02:06 PM.

Hope - Okay, I'm voting for Hope, but admit she isn't doing so well. I agree that Maks seems to have checked out. The producers routinely put Hope early, but this week I think it didn't hurt and her scores were generous. I think the judges actually like her, and want her to do well, but are disappointed that she can't get it.

Rob - Gradually improving, but he can't think of Cheryl as sexy? Did she yell at him too much? Too beaten down by his sisters? Does he only have eyes for CA?

Nancy - When they first showed a long shot of Nancy and Tristan, with her wild blonde perm, and apparent weight loss, she reminded me of a certain blonde pro women. Of course the similarities ended once the dance started. Her dance looked like a prom dance.

Chaz - As much as I want him to go, he showed some improvement this week. But if he survives another week I shall refer to him only as Bristol 2 (B2). I wanted to use Return of Bristol, but RoB would be confused with Rob.

David - I liked his dance. With Kim as his partner he could be a sleeper.

Ricki - Sort of boring, scores probably accurate.

Carson - Dances like Richard Simons. Looks more like a workout video than a dance. Loud clothing is not helping his cause, but did look great on his partner.

JR - Great.

Okay, so I'm just catching up on last night's episode..and honestly, I'm sick of Carrie Ann!!! How in the heck did she give Rob and David a 9 and then score JR the EXACT same thing, when it is clear that JR is on a whole nother level??? Like really? It makes me sick!
    jucamer likes this.
    Keep your feet on the ground, when your heads in the clouds!

Quote Originally Posted by KrazeeKy07 View Post
    Okay, so I'm just catching up on last night's episode..and honestly, I'm sick of Carrie Ann!!! How in the heck did she give Rob and David a 9 and then score JR the EXACT same thing, when it is clear that JR is on a whole nother level??? Like really? It makes me sick!
    I'm just getting around to watching the show and was coming to say the exact same thing. It's absolutely CRAZY that Rob got the same score as JR. Rob's improving, but he's no JR.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

+ Reply to Thread