+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: 10/10 Show Discussion DWTS 13 *West Coast Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 10/10 Show Discussion DWTS 13 *West Coast Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I just finished watching and am in thrall with how Derek handled all the count changes. I loved the staging with the shadow screen - so dramatic. My favorite and scores are well deserved.
    Again we are and the judges are supposed to be judging Ricki's dancing. Derek is not supposed to be the one earning the scores. Yes Derek is talented as a choreographer, but Ricki was IMHO not a better dancer than JR.
    karalott and JavaJo like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton View Post
    Again we are and the judges are supposed to be judging Ricki's dancing. Derek is not supposed to be the one earning the scores. Yes Derek is talented as a choreographer, but Ricki was IMHO not a better dancer than JR.
    The judges score on skill. Viewers vote for any reason they choose! We are not supposed to do anything. This is a reality, entertainment show. Again, as Carrie Ann said, "this is not a serious dance competition."

IMO Ricki deserved the higher score. I like them both.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I thought Ricki did well but a 10 means she couldn't have done any better and I did see room for improvement. If the judges are going to base their scores on the personality of the dancers or on the theme they like most, we wouldn't need an expert panel. I thought they were there to judge the technical aspect of the dance and it was up to the at-home voters to factor in personality and other factors.

Carson actually did well last night! I think the Viennesse Waltz is his dance. He had a few missteps but overall he did surprisingly well.

I really liked David's performance, too.

mkp
    FORT Newbie

I agree with everything you have said here. I don't understand what the judges have against JR. He is exceptional! He does comedy, drama, smooth and rhythm all with equal skill. Perhaps they think he might be the 'favorite', and therefore they have to knock him down. The fact that he and Karina did not get 10s for that amazing Rumba of theirs just goes to prove my point.

I think CA is full of it.

And I think Nancy is going home tonight as her Paso was awful. I am going to miss Tristan so much.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    Finally got a chance to watch, sans judges comments (with the exception of a few couples). Ricki-I will give Derek credit where it's due. The tango was entertaining. But dance wise, J.R.'s actually dancing was better, or at the very least, equal to hers. CA, you're an idiot. I think it pains her to compliment those that aren't her chosen ones, and pains her to criticize her golden ones. I wish Derek could have got Nancy Grace. I'd like to see the judges justify giving her 10s!

J.R.: CA, you're an idiot. Yes, it bears repeating. They were poking fun at the whole comedy aspect in the opening of the Pink Panther. Not only that, J.R. is a better dancer. Not an equal one to Rob, or even Hope. I'm glad Len is finally calling her out for the bias little fangirl who doesn't know what's she's doing. J.R.'s my only hope at beating Derek, but I'm sure there will be a kink thrown in there to prevent that from happening. At least I'll enjoy him and realize he walked away more of a winner than a tacky trophy can make him.

Rob: Am I the only one who finds him overrated? Is it the allure of having Kardashians in the audience, Cheryl, or trying to pretend he's really a better dancer than he is and hoping the audience is too stupid to realize it? Trying to capture the younger demo by having the least known Kardashian who isn't known for anything on here? I really hope Rob is gone tomorrow, because his dance was a step back from the last two weeks. Not deserving of 8s, but I'm betting his sister's fanbases will save him.

Nancy: I'd hate to lose Tristan, but I hope if it's not Rob, it's Nancy. I admired her at first for the whole stepping out of her comfort zone, showing a softer side to herself, and really trying and throwing herself into this. I would have expected a bigger disaster. But she's forgettable. I remember Tristan more than her. However, if she has a sizeable fanbase, she's probably around a few more weeks.

Chaz: He did better this week. Better than I expected. I still don't see the big deal of having his mom there or cutting to random celebs in the audience. He was overscored yet again, but who really cares about scoring anymore. This season has shown why it's completely pointless. He'll be safe, even though he should go home.

Carson: I'll be royally if he gets the boot tomorrow, and I don't even want to hear the judges try and say how sad they are at him leaving. No, he didn't deserve 8s, 9s, or 10s, but he's far more entertaining than the entire cast combined. And he's also giving it his all. He could just come and pull a Cloris Leachman and totally make fun of the routines, but he doesn't. He adds just the right amount of comedy to make it fun and memorable while still trying to learn and get the steps. And Anna hasn't looked this happy in ages!

Hope: I think Len has a lot of nerve calling out her rehearsal time, since other celebs in the past had other commitments (and some were just plain lazy) and didn't give the time to rehearse or couldn't. I think Hope's doing an amazing job given the fact she does have other commitments. She and Maks had an amazing, fun routine tonight. However, I worry she might have got lost in the shuffle

Chynna: Bless her heart, and I usually say that about Chaz. I really hope she gets to live another week to redeem herself. She had such a promising start, and while I think her dances have been overscored (including this week-who gets 7s for forgetting half the routine), I'd hate to see her and Tony go out like this. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets the fan support for that very reason.

David: Truthfully, nothing really stood out to me. We'll see if his near escape from elimination two weeks ago continues to help his fan support in staying on. I didn't really find his paso very memorable.

Absolutely loved seeing Louis! And Val is always a welcome treat. Also, I'm really glad Mark wasn't here this week, after he upstaged Chelsea during their Harry Potter routine. And that was just for classical week, I can't imagine how wild he would have gone if he had a whole movie to base his skit around. So will we have another "surprising" elimination? I'm thinking possibly Hope, Chynna, Nancy, or Rob.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Did I actually hear Brooke ask one of the pairs post-dance, why they decided to take it up a notch this week??? HUH? Really? This is a question worth asking???

Poor, poor Brooke Burke-Charvet...
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

I wish Derek could have got Nancy Grace. I'd like to see the judges justify giving her 10s!

----They'd manage somehow. Even if Derek had to carry her--literally carry her in his arms--for the entire dance.

J.R.: CA, you're an idiot. Yes, it bears repeating. They were poking fun at the whole comedy aspect in the opening of the Pink Panther. Not only that, J.R. is a better dancer. Not an equal one to Rob, or even Hope. I'm glad Len is finally calling her out for the bias little fangirl who doesn't know what's she's doing. J.R.'s my only hope at beating Derek, but I'm sure there will be a kink thrown in there to prevent that from happening. At least I'll enjoy him and realize he walked away more of a winner than a tacky trophy can make him.

---I think that if Ricki beats J.R. in the finale with anything less than a performance that's unquestionably far superior to his (and I don't think she's a strong enough dancer to pull that off), it's not going to be a popular win, no matter how many fans Ricki and Derek have. J.R.'s just too talented and too obviously nice a guy, plus having perhaps the most emotional backstory of any contestant ever (which he never plays for sympathy--he even made his rumba about the other soldiers, the ones who were less fortunate than he was and didn't make it home). It will be even less popular if Derek returns the next season with yet another ringer and the show tries to claim that Ricki was on the level of someone like Kate or Macy and thus he's proved he can win with any kind of partner. The fact of the matter is no one could have won with Macy or Kate, period. Ricki isn't that bad--but she's not three points better than J.R. either. I guess the judges didn't notice, because they didn't mention it, but J.R. opened that dance with a solo. I don't think Ricki could do as well without Derek's assistance, nor do I think she is as versatile a dancer as J.R. is, and there are things he can do, frankly, that she can't, because he's just in better shape than she is.

Rob: Am I the only one who finds him overrated? Is it the allure of having Kardashians in the audience, Cheryl, or trying to pretend he's really a better dancer than he is and hoping the audience is too stupid to realize it? Trying to capture the younger demo by having the least known Kardashian who isn't known for anything on here? I really hope Rob is gone tomorrow, because his dance was a step back from the last two weeks. Not deserving of 8s, but I'm betting his sister's fanbases will save him.

---You mean they're going for the disenchanted slacker viewers? Personally, I think they're just giving someone to Carrie Ann to cougarize. Or Carrie Ann is hoping for a show on E! If it got her off the judging panel, I'd be fine with that.

Nancy: I'd hate to lose Tristan, but I hope if it's not Rob, it's Nancy. I admired her at first for the whole stepping out of her comfort zone, showing a softer side to herself, and really trying and throwing herself into this. I would have expected a bigger disaster. But she's forgettable. I remember Tristan more than her. However, if she has a sizeable fanbase, she's probably around a few more weeks.

---Yeah, I've been surprised by Nancy too. But that being said, she's not as good a dancer or an entertaining a dancer as some of the rest of them.

Chaz: He did better this week. Better than I expected. I still don't see the big deal of having his mom there or cutting to random celebs in the audience. He was overscored yet again, but who really cares about scoring anymore. This season has shown why it's completely pointless. He'll be safe, even though he should go home.

---Yes, he should go home--and if he did, he could still be proud of himself, since it's pretty clear he came on the show more to present a positive image of the transgendered community than to win a tacky trophy, and he's done that.

Carson: I'll be royally if he gets the boot tomorrow, and I don't even want to hear the judges try and say how sad they are at him leaving. No, he didn't deserve 8s, 9s, or 10s, but he's far more entertaining than the entire cast combined. And he's also giving it his all. He could just come and pull a Cloris Leachman and totally make fun of the routines, but he doesn't. He adds just the right amount of comedy to make it fun and memorable while still trying to learn and get the steps. And Anna hasn't looked this happy in ages!

---No way Carson should be on the bottom of the leader board. No, he's not a terrific dancer, but he's certainly more entertaining than Nancy and a better dancer than Chaz. And, though Chynna is usually a much better dancer, she forgot her routine last night, and that should have been figured into her scores.

Hope: I think Len has a lot of nerve calling out her rehearsal time, since other celebs in the past had other commitments (and some were just plain lazy) and didn't give the time to rehearse or couldn't. I think Hope's doing an amazing job given the fact she does have other commitments. She and Maks had an amazing, fun routine tonight. However, I worry she might have got lost in the shuffle

---That made me really mad. Did Len not see the rehearsal footage where Maks was concerned that Hope is such a competitor that she gets frustrated when she makes a mistake and wants to practice the parts where she makes a mistake over and over again, which isn't always such a good idea, because it just increases her anxiety when she doesn't get it perfectly every time and she starts getting worse instead of better. I completely understood when Maks said that sometimes it's better to move on to something else at that point and come back to it later, because I'm kinda like Hope--I can get too focused on trying to fix something immediately and it can work against me. Did Len think that Maks meant they just ignore the mistake for good then, because I don't think that's what Maks meant at all. At any rate, that footage made Hope look like someone who had to be kept from working too hard, not someone who didn't want to work hard enough. I suspect there's nothing that could have upset Hope more than being called out for not being willing to work hard enough--and I was pleasantly surprised that Maks managed to keep his mouth shut and not make things worse for her by telling Len where to get off (though he was out of line). I don't think it's that Hope doesn't work hard enough. I think it's just that neither dancing nor performing come naturally to her and that she wants to do well so much that she sometimes gets in her own way.

David: Truthfully, nothing really stood out to me. We'll see if his near escape from elimination two weeks ago continues to help his fan support in staying on. I didn't really find his paso very memorable.

---David didn't really have the character of the paso down very well, and I think he was over scored. But then, nobody had a paso that really "snapped" last night.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

JR was SOOOOO far above what Ricki did, and it was a disgrace that he got lower scores.

It appears that the producers are the ones who decide which dance will be done to which music. I don't think there's any coincidence that Karina and her partner, JR, were given the Pink Panther theme. After Bruno's crass remark in referring to Karina last year, the producers probably couldn't wait to give her another cat-themed character to play, hoping Bruno would dig himself an even bigger hole. However, I think Bruno is well aware of JR's popularity AND his courage, and wasn't about to offend Karina with JR right there within arm's reach of Bruno's throat.

And as far as Carrie Idiot's comment that they didn't need the humor . . . um, really? How can you dance to the very distinctive Pink Panther theme AND not bring in humor? I thought what Karina and JR did was absolutely perfect for the theme and the tempo.
    karalott and mandmmom2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    And therein lies the problem. Chaz is a nice guy. That's clearly been established. I bear him no ill will and wish him luck. That being said, I also don't wish to watch him dance any longer, because he isn't getting better, he isn't especially entertaining, and he's not likely to make huge strides in either of those two categories. His point about acceptance has, I think, been made. It's time for him to move on, but I fear he won't, because he's getting sympathy votes or votes for what he represents, as opposed to votes because of his performances on the show. His situation is vastly different than J.R.'s, because while J.R. is certainly is someone with whom people could sympathize because of the group he represents (wounded veterans), he's also talented, very entertaining, and has all kinds of potential. I hope J.R. stays--heck, I hope he wins the whole thing. But even though I find Chaz admirable in his own right, I want him gone, because he just isn't a good dancer, and I think wanting that actually is accepting him, because it's expecting him to be treated exactly like every other contestant.
    I totally agree with this, Tilden. I have nothing against Chaz the PERSON. I just hate to see Chaz continue to get voted through as I see some of the better dancers getting voted off. Yes, I know that this is not a true dance competition, but it is obvious that Chaz has many issues (weight, bad knees, etc) that affect his performances. I would just hate to see Carson be voted off before Chaz, which I fear will happen. Carson might not be the best dancer, but he is worlds apart from Chaz - and he is actually entertaining!!! I hope that I am wrong, but with Carson at the bottom this week, anything is possible.

Not only is the judges' voting all over the place this season, but the bickering has gotten out of hand. What is up with that? Len has seemed even more cranky than usual, and Carrie is just cuckoo - extremely annoying!! These two are making Bruno look like the sane one!!!

I predict that Chaz will be in the first group up for elimination, and he will be told that he made it through. I think that either Hope, Chynna, Carson or Nancy could be leaving tonight.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    JR was SOOOOO far above what Ricki did, and it was a disgrace that he got lower scores.

It appears that the producers are the ones who decide which dance will be done to which music. I don't think there's any coincidence that Karina and her partner, JR, were given the Pink Panther theme. After Bruno's crass remark in referring to Karina last year, the producers probably couldn't wait to give her another cat-themed character to play, hoping Bruno would dig himself an even bigger hole. However, I think Bruno is well aware of JR's popularity AND his courage, and wasn't about to offend Karina with JR right there within arm's reach of Bruno's throat.

And as far as Carrie Idiot's comment that they didn't need the humor . . . um, really? How can you dance to the very distinctive Pink Panther theme AND not bring in humor? I thought what Karina and JR did was absolutely perfect for the theme and the tempo.
    I'm going to cut Carrie Ann a little slack. I think she might be a little embarrassed right about now as she either didn't know or had forgotten that the Pink Panther films were clearly spoofs. In her defense, they came out a long time ago; however, I do think the costumes might have been a tiny clue?

Tilden, I agree 1000% with what you said with the exception of your comments about David. I really enjoyed his performance and felt he nailed the character. He obviously needs to refine his dance movements but I feels he's come a long way from the first couple of weeks. (And Indiana Jones is a character that I really love.)

+ Reply to Thread