+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 9/26 Show Discussion DWTS 13 *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 9/26 Show Discussion DWTS 13 *West Coast Spoilers*

Last night's show confused me. The negative rehearsal package for Elisabetta/Val makes it seem that they're angling for her to be eliminated. The low scores and some of the comments made to David, Carson, and Hope also put them on the chopping block, which surprises me. David's sensitivity and lack of finesse were highlighted; the critique of Carson was utterly confusing as it both praised his commitment and intimated that he couldn't dance; and the comment to Hope about her time/schedule raised a question mark about her commitment.

But on the other end, Chynna and JR, who put in some of the best performances, didn't escape without criticism. So I don't really know who the judges/show's favorites are yet. Why are they trying to save Nancy Grace? (It's fine that she stays for it means that Tristan keeps talking and dancing--he's my favorite pro now. So sweet.)

If Maks/Hope and Carson/Anna are eliminated early, it'll be a blah show to say the least. The remaining stars/pros don't showcase much personality though Derek, Mark, Karina, Tristan, and Kym choreograph excellent routines. If the final was tonight, JR should win. Hands down.

Of the crew, Elisabetta and Val need to go tonight. Everyone else deserves another week.
    Last edited by veg_out; 09-27-2011 at 09:54 AM.
    NFL1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I don't think people want to admit it, but Derek is showing us this season what he can do with a mediocre partner. He's doing with Ricki what he does with every partner: he makes them commit 100% to making big, ballsy moves, and he choreographs moves that make them look like dancers, even if they go a little outside the box. (He also spends just as much time making the transitions smooth, which is where Cheryl broke down with Rob). Of course some won't be happy until he's partnered with a corpse just to feel the satisfaction, but I'm really enjoying Ricki's progress so far.
    I've always liked Derek, but I wanted him to be able to have a challenge. In fact, I actually like him better this year because he's having to work with a dancer who has a little experience, but is NOT a ringer like Nicole or Jennifer Grey.

That said - Ricky should kick the butt of her designer and honestly wear something different tonight. A nude colored dress with hot pink fringe at both ends honestly made her look like a stripper. It was fugly on her - and no one deserves that.

BTW, I do agree with you on Mark - he needs to go. He breaks the rules all the time. Derek does push them occasionally and does break them from time to time, but he picks himself up and works hard to not violate them. Mark does it because he knows he's supposedly one of the annointed ones and knows he can get away with it. It's time they stopped it and punished him for his actions. In fact - I'd like to see if he can handle it or if he quits.
    AZChristian likes this.

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

My two cents about last night's show:

Maks and Hope: I enjoyed their dance. I don't know how long they'll be able to keep up if she can't devote more time to it. Evan L. was able to multitask when he was on, but I think it came more naturally to him and skating translates more easily to dancing.
    Kristen and Mark. What the heck? How does Mark always get away with stunts? We get it Mark. You're a good dancer. What we want to see is what you can make of your partner without misdirection of spats and overdancing.
    David and Kym: I thought they did better than the judges scores. There goes my hope for fair scoring this season. I enjoy watching David and hope his popularity keeps him around a long time. And to me, when Kym or the judges speak critcally, I get the feeling that someone's just kicked a puppy. He looks so crushed!
    Rob and Cheryl: On one hand I feel a little sympathy for him being the overshadowed younger brother who's lived a life of priveledge and doesn't know how to act. (How would we behave if we were raised by his trainwreck of a mother?) Then he opens his mouth or his sisters start tweeting and I want to kick him to the curb! He wasn't awful, but I think the judges got carried away and showed favoritism towards him.
    Chynna and Tony: to my mind they were underscored, but the routine didn't take the chances and seem to push Chynna as much as the week before. I really like Tony, but he's got to "bring it." I think Chynna can handle just about anything he gives he, he just needs to give it.
    Carson and Anna: Just really fun to watch, (and endearing) but fun will only get you so far. He'll have to decide if he's going to actually try to get the character of the dance. For some reason, the thought of him being a smoldering hot lover in the tango is hard for me to imagine.
    Derek and Ricki were pretty good, but again, I saw a lot of overdancing by the pro and actually thought there wasn't a lot of jive content. When Len(?) said the same thing, I felt vindicated.
    Elisabetta and Val were just uncomfortable to watch. I was sort of looking forward to seeing them but, blech! She just needs to leave. It's understanable for anyone to have a bad moment, but if the star doesn't seem enjoy the experience, it's not fun for me.
    Nancy and Tristan were the opposite. She had her mini-breakdown but came back strong. I never watched her before and only about her second hand, but at leat she seems to be growing from the experience. I thought it was a pretty good quickstep.
    Chaz and Lacey: Ouch! I have some knee issues and can relate to the pain (but then, I'm a good bit older than Chaz.) Like I said about E.C. above, that wasn't fun for me to watch. Good for him trying and good for him breaking barriers but I wish he'd go home soon so I don't feel symapthetic pain-plus that wasn't much of a quickstep.
    And finally, JR and Karina: Awesome dance. Karina bothers me less thanever before, but here's the thing: 1-they gave them rules for the competition that included the rule than lifts were only allowed in certain dances which were farther into the season. Karina deliberately broke that rule. I agree that counting off for a foot accidentally leaving the floor gets petty, but when someone knowingly, in-your-face breaks a rule I don't understand why ALL the judges didn't mark off for it? I don't like it when the pros decide to purposefully break the rules, knowing this is a competition. And JR didn't need it to be an awesome performer. Plus, 2-I agree with the comments that it was more lindy hop than jive. I like the lindy hop, but that wasn't what they were given to dance. Like Derek's "Anything Goes" routine several seasons ago, it can be very entertaining but against the rules and "fairness" of the competition. And Karina has had a history of this type of thing with Mario. It left a bad taste in my mouth then as well as now, but I still predict that JR will win the season.
    One last thing I'm so ticked about is to have these dances so early in the season. They're fun dances that I enjoy watching but they're better suited to, say week 5 when the stars are in better condition.
    And finally, I thought Brooke was doing much better this season till the second half of the show last night when she said a few dumb things. At least there may be hope for her yet!

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    karalott, you are definitely my "expert" on this show, but I wanted to raise one thing about this - to see if I am remembering correctly. I seem to remember a few seasons ago Tony, I think, getting into a heated debate with CA about what was and wasn't a lift. At the time, the comment she made was if one person can do the move without the assistance of the other, then it is not a lift. So Mark doing his flip last night would be different than JR getting called for doing a lift. Not that a flip was at all appropriate in a quickstep, but I just wanted to point out where the difference probably was.
    But a flip isn't used in traditional quickstep, so he did technically break the rules as what was said about the jive with a lift making it a lindy instead.

But this is Mark - and the only way he'll get into trouble for breaking the rules is if he decides to turn the dance floor into a track race and runs around the floor, tosses his partner like a shotput or javelin, and wears a dress.
    nanarama and AZChristian like this.

FORT Fogey

All I know is that JR Martinez tore up that dance and then was royally ripped off by Karina's choreography, when she should have known better, and by the judges' comments. For JR and Rob to have been scored the same is ludicrous. Rob should have gotten 6s at best. His dance was boring and predictable, and he is only slightly more animated than a corpse.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out View Post
    Last night's show confused me. The negative rehearsal package for Elisabetta/Val makes it seem that they're angling for her to be eliminated. The low scores and some of the comments made to David, Carson, and Hope also put them on the chopping block, which surprises me. David's sensitivity and lack of finesse were highlighted; the critique of Carson was utterly confusing as it both praised his commitment and intimated that he couldn't dance; and the comment to Hope about her time/schedule raised a question mark about her commitment.

But on the other end, Chynna and JR, who put in some of the best performances, didn't escape without criticism. So I don't really know who the judges/show's favorites are yet. Why are they trying to save Nancy Grace? (It's fine that she stays for it means that Tristan keeps talking and dancing--he's my favorite pro now. So sweet.)

If Maks/Hope and Carson/Anna are eliminated early, it'll be a blah show to say the least. The remaining stars/pros don't showcase much personality though Derek, Mark, Karina, Tristan, and Kym choreograph excellent routines. If the final was tonight, JR should win. Hands down.

Of the crew, Elisabetta and Val need to go tonight. Everyone else deserves another week.
    I think the show will be sorry and pay dearly if someone like Carson, Hope, or David left this early, and we were left with Rob, Chaz, and Nancy. Of course Chaz is a sweetheart so I hate grouping him in with those two, but he's probably the second worst dancer left. I actually hope it's Rob going tonight, but I know I'm not that lucky. Oh well, another week to hope he falls and smacks himself on that stupid arrogant smirk. It was insane he got the same score as J.R. when J.R. actually, you know, danced. I don't know if it's a reverse psychology approach. Score the couples you want to stick around lower and give them harsher feedback to drum up more fan support. Either that, or they're not pulling in the fan support the show expected, so they're hoping this will do it. Of course, giving higher scores to couples not pulling in the votes that they want around can also be the case. I think there was a full moon last night. No, Carson and David were not the best. And they know it. But really, Rob gets praised up and down and a 21 for his thing he called a jive? I was hoping for a bigger trainwreck, but I did think his VW was worse (as much as it pains me to say that). Mark does a backflip and gets an 8, but J.R. does a lift and gets penalized when his jive was probably the dance of the night?

KatesMom, I totally get your post. I know there's a discussion that pops up every season as to whether the celeb should be penalized for what the pro does or the choreography they get. I think they should, because certain pros should know better than to upstage their partner, and then there's those that should know whether they'll get penalized just for putting in a move. However, I don't think the judges (namely Carrie Ann, aka Sgt. Lift Police) is fair when it comes to that. I think she'll take off for lifts when she wants to. She's ignored them before. Karina should have known better, but eventually, one of these pros has to call the judges out and ask why certain pros get away with stunts but they can't. Of course, I think Mark is BFF's with all of them, so I doubt they'll do that. If the judging was more fair and even, I'd be fine with Hope's 19, just like I would J.R. getting penalized. But it wasn't. Based on dancing ability, J.R., Chynna and Kristin (I hate admitting it) are the front runners for me. I don't think Hope is far behind. Comedy will only help Carson and David for so long, but I hope they're around for awhile. I read an article today comparing Nancy and Tristan to Kirstie and Maks. I can see why the show wants her around. She's their Kelly Osbourne story of the season. A hard headed pit bull personality former prosecutor who's been blamed for suicides and tot moms getting off, and who's older and not as fit as the younger celebs, coming in and showing a softer side to herself and doing something way out of her comfort zone. I love Tristan, so it's a win for me

+ Reply to Thread