+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: J.R. Martinez & Karina Smirnoff: Season 13

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Re: J.R. Martinez & Karina Smirnoff: Season 13

I think it's a given that J.R. will make it to the finals. I don't see how he could NOT make it. I'm even liking Karina this season. They make a terrific couple.

Aname2 - I completely understand where you're coming from. My son is a career Marine and has been through 3 tours so far. I tear up every time I see J.R. dancing.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

FORT Fogey

If J.R. makes it to the finals--and I think he will, barring a shocking elimination--and someone else beats him, it's going to be an awkward win for them, I would think. Gilles reportedly said something to the effect of who really wants to be the one who beats America's sweetheart, when he was up against Shawn. Well, who wants to be the one who takes the win away from the badly injured war veteran with the great attitude, who managed to get a job in the one industry that probably values physical appearance more than any other, with the possible exception of modeling?

I'm really glad he can dance, not only because it makes it much more fun to watch, but because then if he wins, no one can say it was all just a sympathy vote. I'm particularly happy about that, because J.R. clearly doesn't try to play, or want to play, the sympathy card at all. I also don't really consider him a ringer, because to me, a person who is a ringer is someone who comes on with significant dance background that puts him/her way in front before the competition starts and/or someone who has such an overwhelming fan base compared to everyone else that it's pretty clear he/she will go far regardless of dancing/entertaining ability. I don't think J.R. had a bunch of formal dance training, and while he was on All My Children for three years, I don't know how many people really knew who he was prior to this. I suppose he might have a strong fan base among military families, but I'm not sure if you can really gauge that. Besides, it's pretty irrelevant, since actually is one of the better, more entertaining dancers this season, and he's coming off like a great guy. In other words, he's got all the qualities to pull in votes just based on what he's doing on the show.
    RBmumsie likes this.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    If J.R. makes it to the finals--and I think he will, barring a shocking elimination--and someone else beats him, it's going to be an awkward win for them, I would think. Gilles reportedly said something to the effect of who really wants to be the one who beats America's sweetheart, when he was up against Shawn. Well, who wants to be the one who takes the win away from the badly injured war veteran with the great attitude, who managed to get a job in the one industry that probably values physical appearance more than any other, with the possible exception of modeling?

I'm really glad he can dance, not only because it makes it much more fun to watch, but because then if he wins, no one can say it was all just a sympathy vote. I'm particularly happy about that, because J.R. clearly doesn't try to play, or want to play, the sympathy card at all. I also don't really consider him a ringer, because to me, a person who is a ringer is someone who comes on with significant dance background that puts him/her way in front before the competition starts and/or someone who has such an overwhelming fan base compared to everyone else that it's pretty clear he/she will go far regardless of dancing/entertaining ability. I don't think J.R. had a bunch of formal dance training, and while he was on All My Children for three years, I don't know how many people really knew who he was prior to this. I suppose he might have a strong fan base among military families, but I'm not sure if you can really gauge that. Besides, it's pretty irrelevant, since actually is one of the better, more entertaining dancers this season, and he's coming off like a great guy. In other words, he's got all the qualities to pull in votes just based on what he's doing on the show.
    I wouldn't put J.R. in a ringer category with the likes of Mya and Nicole. I certainly didn't expect him to be that good, but I also think there are some people who just have a natural talent without years of training. Obviously J.R. could use a little work here and there, but compared to the others, I don't think anyone can touch him, dance wise. I do think he and Gilles are alike for some of the same reasons; not only did both come in as complete unknowns, but they ended up capturing the hearts of viewers week 1 out of the gate with their dancing, charm, and personality. I figured at worst, J.R. would get a sympathy vote for a few weeks, but even without his military backstory, I think he'd be charming everyone just like Gilles did. His tale of survival and overcoming the odds just adds to him and makes people want to see him do well. I can't imagine going through what he did, and then being able to go out and show my face to millions of viewers and not know whether I'd get a negative reaction or not. I'm certainly glad he took the opporunity to do the show and let other viewers get to know him. I hope, if acting is something he wants to continue, it works out for him. He'd be an inspiration and a breath of fresh air in the vain world of Hollywood. Whether he takes the tacky trophy or not, he's still a winner. My only concern with the high scores this early (and I do think there deserved), is if the judges start calling him out for hitting his peak and not doing anything they haven't already seen. I do think Karina's a fabulous choreographer, though I don't think she's on the preferred list of pros.

I know Kristin said if she had a more emotional backstory, maybe she'd still be in the competition. I sort of doubt it, but it'd be interesting to see whether fan votes shifted at all during this week.

For me, JR being on the show has cut deep into my heart and soul.

1. Let's get the backstory out of the way . . .

Unless you're a completely cold, inhuman fish, how can you NOT be moved by that? And, for me, ESPECIALLY when he can man up and admit that until he got to the place where he is now about what happened, he was in the depths of despair, etc., just like anybody would be. But, he eventually accepted it, moved past it, got on with his life and is helping others with his story.

2. To touch on/continue No. 1 a bit and take it a little bit farther . . .

He learned to accept his physical self for what exists now, and even have a sense of humor about it, and about himself ("Karina's asking where's my earring . . . I'M asking: Where's my EAR? It WAS here, someplace!" Or words to that effect). You gotta LOVE that.

3. The man can actually dance . . .

Who woulda thunk it? Out of all of 'em, just for me, I think he's the best of the lot. He works hard, works with Karina, and to echo another poster upthread (DancingDad, I think?), feels the music as he dances and moves and goes with it. I love that, too.

I know they're getting screwed, but like indy1945 said, essentially: "It ain't how they started or the journey they're on . . . It's the FINISH that counts!"

Truer words were never spoken!

And I think THEIR finish just might be a BIG one!

karalott likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    Karina had a nose job back when she was dating Mario Lopez, so I doubt she would have had another one (besides, that stuff usually gets out). She changed her hair color, and since she'd had the lighter hair for so long, it almost makes her look older. And I had actually missed her black hair, but I think the blonde highlights is a better look. That's the only difference I'm seeing (though her face looked a little different, but I equated it with her hair changing)
    THanks, Karalott, for weighing in.
    You are our resident expert on all thing DWTS and I am forever grateful for that!

No, it almost seems as if she had a second nose job.
    She looks totally different this season from last.
    Hair color doesn't have anything to do with it. Her whole face shape looks different. She's had additional work done. I just don't know what.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 10-10-2011 at 08:26 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I do agree something about her looks different. I almost feel she looks a tad more harsh than previous seasons, but I also thought that when she originally joined the show back in season 3 and had the dark hair. But something in her face looks different. Maybe it's something she had done in anticipation for her wedding I will say that, while Karina's isn't my favorite, I'm glad that we've seen this softer side of her personality. Looking back, you could always count on her to throw the tantrums and b**** faces at not getting her way. I think not being asked back a season humbled her a bit, plus having two fantastic guys in Ralph and J.R. Both of them are what I love about this show-good natured guys with fun and entertaining personalities that are respectful (even if I wouldn't have blamed Ralph for going off on the judges in the end), and are trying hard. Ralph didn't come in as good a dancer as J.R., but he tried, worked through pain and injury, and definitely improved.

This is a tweet from CA regarding her score to J.R.:

Just reading your tweets about JR - - He's amazing!! I just didn't think he pulled off the humor part very well takes nothing away from him!
    But wasn't her critique that she didn't understand why they were trying to be funny? Maybe I'm reading this wrong. I'm starting to wonder if CA is getting a Mark complex and is doing anything and everything to get noticed. Maybe she's upset that DWTS hasn't led to other opportunities and some consider her judging a joke. And what opportunities she has had failed.

I hope J.R. is so far ahead of Ricki in fan votes that the judges could give him all 1s and it wouldn't matter. Third week in a row he gave an amazing performance but got screwed in the scores.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-11-2011 at 03:35 PM.

FORT Fogey

Somebody on the All My Children site reported that JR hurt his ankle badly. I hope this is not true, or that it will not pull him out. If so that would most likely mean another Derek win again. I could not handle another win for him.

He tweeted about it last night:

@knowjr J.R. Martinez

Long day at rehearsal was able to get thru 3 routines but it ended on a bad note twisted my right ankle. Treating it. pic.twitter.com/Q0hYz6yT

13 Nov via Twitter for iPhone
    Hope he's well enough to dance tonight.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Me too! I've been out of commission for two week b/c of a severly strained ankle....doctor wouldn't even let me walk for exercise....
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast