+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Chynna Phillips & Tony Dovolani: Season 13

Re: Chynna Phillips & Tony Dovolani: Season 13

I hope Tony will finally get a break this time. He always gets the clunkers. My fingers are crossed for the guy. I think everyone loves Tony and wishes him the best.

Who is John Galt?

A lovely lady who dances as beautifully as she sings. I hope she goes far.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

These two were yet another couple underscored when it was all said and done. Chynna had my favorite jive last night behind J.R.'s, and if they were going to give 8s to the other 3 couples that got them, Chynna deserved at least one. I liked it much better than her VW, which I felt was a little overrated. She's actually doing better and showing more personality than I expected. I think Chynna has the potential to go much further than I thought. It seems like she's one of Tony's best shots, though I worry eventually, fanbase and lack of being too flashy will do them in. Tony's often seen as a safe choreographer, and I didn't think their jive was anything daring. At least it was a jive. And their costumes weren't horrendous. But Tony-lose the spats. I still can't believe these two and J.R. got the same score as Rob.

I have liked Tony since Melissa Rycrofts season. He was such a wonderful teacher and great with her. He hasn't had many partners with real potential: Stacey Keibler (should have won), Melissa and Audrina are it. Did he get stuck with Kate + 8 lady or was that max. In any case that partnership was painful to watch. I don't know anything about Chynna but it looks like she is giving it her best effort. I think J.R. is the one to beat but Chyna and Tony could make the finals.

It was Tony that got stuck with Kate....I still feel bad that he got stuck with her....she was bad...bad dancing, bad attitude, bad everything...

I honestly don't think Max would have put up with Kate....
    tapper01 likes this.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2 View Post
    It was Tony that got stuck with Kate....I still feel bad that he got stuck with her....she was bad...bad dancing, bad attitude, bad everything...

I honestly don't think Max would have put up with Kate....
    When Kate pushed mild mannered, good natured, quiet, down to earth, all around sweet guy Tony to the point where he quits and storms out, I can only imagine what Maks would have done I'm think Kate would have been ready to quit in the first 5 minutes. At least some of the dancers on here that were among the worst dance and/or attitude wise knew it but didn't care. Kate was just totally oblivious to it all. She still is. I can't believe she never really understood why the judges were so harsh and marking her so low. That sorry excuse for a jive is forever etched in my mind. Poor Tony. What did he ever do to deserve her? Oddly enough, he mentioned his wife was a fan of Kate and also Wendy, and they've been two of his absolute worst partners.

I'm excited for him and Chynna, and I'm glad Chynna's showing more personality. But truthfully, I found her rumba to be a little dull. I don't like rumbas to begin with, but I was fairly surprised that it managed to get the scores it did. I can understand the encore; I don't know if J.R. didn't want to do his rumba again or if the show decided it was better not to wear out the emotion of it, and Ricki got the encore the week before. I wouldn't have minded seeing it go to Carson, even though he got it the first week. It was great seeing Chynna's former bandmates in the audience. I think she's showing slight signs of improvement in her dances. Even though her jive was deemed "too safe" by the judges, I thought it was actually fairly good, and her rumba was a little better in terms of the character. She has the tango this week and I bet it'll be another high scoring week for her. Hopefully she gets a good movie theme. And I might have slapped CA upside the head if she said the band singing 'Hold On...' was the best she'd ever heard that song Oh well, they've done a lot worse.
    mandmmom2 likes this.

Tony tweeted that he went to the ER last night to get his ankle checked out. He was afraid something was broken, but it's just a sprain. I really felt for him and Chynna last night. I don't know who was ready to cry first after their dance between the two of them. A 21 was a very generous score, and probably helped to the overscoring the rest of the couples. Even these two looked surprised. I feel like that tango could have been all sorts of awesome. Chynna's done so well so far, and I hope she gets a chance to redeem herself next week. She isn't the first to forget her routine (in fact, during season 5, Mel B forgot part of her freestyle, so she and Maks said she 'freestyled the freestyle). Probably easier to get away with it for that dance. It was even more awkward when Tony stopped when she forgot. It happens, and she'll probably come back better than ever. Wonder if they'll spare these two right away or put them in jeopardy.

We've seen Cher now, has anyone yet seen Mama Michelle Phillips in the audience?
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

The music for Mission Impossible is an impossible song to dance to. According to Wikipedia:

"The main theme was composed by Argentine musician Lalo Schifrin and is noted for being in 5/4 time. About the unusual timing, Schiffrin declared that 'things are in 2/4 or 4/4 because people dance with two legs. I did it for people from outer space who have five legs.'"

For those that don't remember time signatures from music class, 5/4 means there are 5 beats to a measure, and that on the score a quarter (1/4) note represents one beat.

So for the most famous part of the song, which I can only write as DA DA da da DA DA da da DA DA (okay you have to sing along), the first two notes (DA DA) are "dotted quarter notes," which means 1.5 beats, and last two notes (da da) are 1.0 beats, so the typical measure is 1.5, 1.5, 1.0, 1.0, repeat.

This is crazy to dance to.

I don't have the sheet music, but I believe interludes in the song may be in 4/4, so maybe this isn't completely impossible to dance to, but certainly not something I would want to do.

I think Tony and Chynna should do the oncore dance to see if they can get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    We've seen Cher now, has anyone yet seen Mama Michelle Phillips in the audience?
    Yes. Last week.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast