+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree237Likes

Thread: Hope Solo & Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Season 13

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Hope Solo & Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Season 13

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    We won't ever know how Hope would have done with someone else; even the very mild - tempered, laid-back Tony was shown in rehearsal as having lost it and having walked out on Kate Gosselin.
    The marvelously talented Derek has been shown through the seasons cranking a few of his students up a bit too high, and they, too, have flown back at him. They call Cheryl the "drill sargeant," which certainly isn't a term of endearment.
    We don't see but a small window of what happens behind the scenes in rehearsal. There might be much more discontent and friction than we know or are shown during what they have told us repeately they see as a very stressful time.
    Well said. It's all heavy editing. I know they can't show what isn't given to them, but whose to say other partners haven't screamed at each other, pushed each other, walked out on each other...and yet all we get is the good stuff of them joking around, laughing, having a good time. I'm sure Hope/Maks have moments like that, too, although at this point, people would probably say those scenes were staged. Since we only see a few minutes of days/hours long rehearsals, and not always what comes before/after a particular shot, it's hard to say what really happened or what the cause is. Hope could have been rough housing Maks first for all we know. If Maks takes a break next season, then everyone not named Val, Peta, Tristan, Chelsie, and Lacey need to go with him. Because quite honestly, all the choreography, personalities, edits, and sure thing partnerships (whether they're the golden one and get the ringer or Tony and get the dud/basket case) has gotten old. Give us a whole new line up where we don't know what to expect. Maks seemed keen to take this season off, but only came back because of his brother. So mentally he might just be checked out. Hope isn't a dancer, though she did show a little improvement last night. I loved their outfits. But I really don't think she would have been any better, even with a different partner. Maybe she would have had a different edit, but really, Maks has taken bad dancers and made them into contenders before. Either Hope doesn't want to apply herself to his teaching method (and I don't really see why any pro should have to change their teaching method-go like Kym and Cheryl and work around their strengths/weaknesses, yes), but most of these pros have been doing this for decades, and it's worked fine for them all this time. Since I'm biased and a Maks fan, I guess I can't see what's so wrong about his teaching style. I think some pros don't give their celeb enough to do or make the choreography all about them, but I don't really think any pro has a bad teaching style.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    Well said. It's all heavy editing. I know they can't show what isn't given to them, but whose to say other partners haven't screamed at each other, pushed each other, walked out on each other...and yet all we get is the good stuff of them joking around, laughing, having a good time. I'm sure Hope/Maks have moments like that, too, although at this point, people would probably say those scenes were staged. Since we only see a few minutes of days/hours long rehearsals, and not always what comes before/after a particular shot, it's hard to say what really happened or what the cause is. Hope could have been rough housing Maks first for all we know. If Maks takes a break next season, then everyone not named Val, Peta, Tristan, Chelsie, and Lacey need to go with him. Because quite honestly, all the choreography, personalities, edits, and sure thing partnerships (whether they're the golden one and get the ringer or Tony and get the dud/basket case) has gotten old. Give us a whole new line up where we don't know what to expect. Maks seemed keen to take this season off, but only came back because of his brother. So mentally he might just be checked out. Hope isn't a dancer, though she did show a little improvement last night. I loved their outfits. But I really don't think she would have been any better, even with a different partner. Maybe she would have had a different edit, but really, Maks has taken bad dancers and made them into contenders before. Either Hope doesn't want to apply herself to his teaching method (and I don't really see why any pro should have to change their teaching method-go like Kym and Cheryl and work around their strengths/weaknesses, yes), but most of these pros have been doing this for decades, and it's worked fine for them all this time. Since I'm biased and a Maks fan, I guess I can't see what's so wrong about his teaching style. I think some pros don't give their celeb enough to do or make the choreography all about them, but I don't really think any pro has a bad teaching style.
    I love Maks, something was up with him last night ... maybe viewing his edits put him in a bad mood; he was standing apart from Hope, didn't smile, looked miserable, looked like he would rather be anywhere but standing in front of the judges or being interviewed by Numbnuts, er, I mean Brooke.

Ratings this season are not what they usually are; they are averaging between 14 - 17 million on Monday nights; and 13-14 million on results nights. They aren't winning the coveted 19-48 demographics for their timeslots. So how much of all of this is producer driven, and Maks wanting the show to be more dance contest than TV Show gets frustrated with the manipulation of the show to get the ratings. I don't think he cares if he's edited badly, but he may mind the reasoning behind it.

Or maybe he's missing Kirstie.

FYI: Bruno

Bruno Tonioli - Dancing With The Stars

Background:
    Italian spitfire Bruno Tonioli was destined to dance. He says, "I started dancing before I could talk. Other babies learn to stand and then walk — I just danced. At the age of three, I would leap on the table and dance if I heard music. It was something I had to do — as if my legs were moving for themselves." Bruno spent his childhood catching American musicals in the cinema and watching his parents cha-cha. Despite his passion, a career cuttin' a rug hasn't always come easy. Hailing from a working-class background, Bruno's parents pressured him to choose more "traditional" jobs, like banking (could you imagine?). Finally at the age of 18, Bruno left home to pursue dance. He relocated from Italy to London, England, as a member of the Paris-based dance company, La Grande Eugene. Bruno worked extensively as a freelance dancer, including an appearance in Elton John's “I'm Still Standing” video, before starting a career as a choreographer working with Pamela Stephenson on Not the Nine O'Clock News.

DWTS Data:
    Bruno appears as a judge on the hit UK show Strictly Come Dancing, and its American adaptation, Dancing with the Stars. Tonioli has become widely known for his exuberant and outrageous comments and critiques after couples' performances on both shows. Additionally, he co-created and appeared on the BBC talent show DanceX, as well as its American adaptation, Dance War: Bruno vs. Carrie Ann. Tonioli's team won the viewer-voted competition, earning a contract with Hollywood Records. We're not sure if it sparked any rivalry with Carrie Ann, but now ten seasons in and things are still peachy between the two judges.

Beyond DWTS:

Tonioli has worked extensively in the music business, choreographing videos, stage shows, and tours for some serious music legends. Count Tina Turner, Sting, Elton John, The Rolling Stones, Freddie Mercury, Boy George, Bananarama, and Duran Duran among his clientele.

Tonioli's motion picture credits include Ella Enchanted, The Gathering Storm, Little Voice, Dancin' thru the Dark, Enigma, The Parole Officer, and What a Girl Wants. His television film credits include Miss Marple: The Body in the Library, Blonde Bombshell, Scarlet Pimpernel, and The Bare Necessities. Theatre credits include La Vie Parisienne, Godspell, Steve Coogan's show The Man Who Thinks He's It, and "Forbidden Love" (BBC TV trilogy in 1985), the latter in which he played manservant to Oscar Wilde (Michael Gambon).

In 2009 and 2010, Tonioli was a judge on the UK tour of Strictly Come Dancing Live, appearing at over 45 shows on each tour.
    FYI: Carrie Ann

Carrie Ann Inaba - Dancing With The Stars

Quick Facts:
    Full Name: Carrie Ann Inaba
    Dance Style: Unknown
    Nationality: American
    Height: 5'6

Background:
    Choreographer, Japanese pop star, and Fly Girl — Carrie Ann Inaba could be entertainment's ultimate Renaissance Woman.

Born and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii, Carrie grew up dancing the hula, singing in the school choir, and playing the piano and violin. Overachieve, much?

When she was just 16, Carrie Ann was discovered by a talent scout to appear on Japanese television's Teen Idol singing competition. Inaba waited until she finished high school and then left Hawaii to pursue her career as a musical artist in Japan. During her time in Japan, Carrie Ann released three singles with Pony Canyon Records while attending university in Tokyo.

After two years living in Japan, Carrie Ann returned to the United States and relocated to California. She studied choreography at the University of California, Irvine, but soon moved to Los Angeles to study with Alexandre Magno at the Debbie Reynolds Studios in North Hollywood, California.

Count J. Lo among her past co-workers! One of Inaba's first jobs was as a Fly Girl dancer for the Emmy Award-winning television comedy show, In Living Color. She's also danced alongside Madonna, Ricky Martin, David Copperfield, Chayanne, and appeared as a dancer on several shows such as The Creative Arts Emmys, The SAG Awards, The NAACP Awards, The MTV Awards, and The Oprah Winfrey Show among others.

DWTS Data:
    As a judge, Carrie Ann is known for being "refreshingly blunt and sassy with her dancing critiques."

Controversy surrounds Inaba's qualifications as a judge on Dancing with the Stars, though. DWTS pro Tony Dovolani told People magazine that Inaba is ill-equipped to call out the illegal lifts which the former Fly Girl frequently criticizes: "She does not understand what ballroom dancing is. She’s never done it herself. She’s the inappropriate judge to pick on the lifts," says Dovolani. "She does not have a ballroom background. She really comes from the hip-hop world. While we have the utmost respect for her as a dancer—it's not as a ballroom dancer." Yowza! Well, we still love you, Carrie Ann!

In addition to her current role as one of the three main DWTS judges, Carrie Ann was also a co-host for Dance War: Bruno vs. Carrie Ann, alongside fellow judge Bruno Tonioli.
    Beyond DWTS:
    Inaba appeared briefly in Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, and was later cast as Fook Yu in the sequel, Austin Powers in Goldmember. Much to our dismay, Inaba later reprised the Fook Yu role with Mike Myers in a commercial for Motorola. Inaba has acted (usually as a dancer) in the movies Monster Mash: The Movie, Lord of Illusions, Showgirls, Boys and Girls, The Flintstones II, Freak, and American Virgin, and the television series Jack & Jill and Nikki. Other TV appearances include Inaba as guest and co-host on The View, and the FOX special Breaking the Magician's Code: Magic's Biggest Secrets Finally Revealed.

Inaba has choreographed several television series, including American Idol, American Juniors, All American Girl, He's a Lady, In Search of the Partridge Family, Married, and the he short feature film, Black Water. She also appeared in the first season of So You Think You Can Dance during the audition stages where she provided choreography for the choreography round.

Aside from her choreography, Inaba also owns a digital video production company, EnterMediArts, Inc., which has produced two of her documentaries and a short film to date.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bet2Win View Post

Or maybe he's missing Kirstie.
    Or his dance soulmate, Brandy.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by Bet2Win View Post
    I love Maks, something was up with him last night ... maybe viewing his edits put him in a bad mood; he was standing apart from Hope, didn't smile, looked miserable, looked like he would rather be anywhere but standing in front of the judges or being interviewed by Numbnuts, er, I mean Brooke.

Ratings this season are not what they usually are; they are averaging between 14 - 17 million on Monday nights; and 13-14 million on results nights. They aren't winning the coveted 19-48 demographics for their timeslots. So how much of all of this is producer driven, and Maks wanting the show to be more dance contest than TV Show gets frustrated with the manipulation of the show to get the ratings. I don't think he cares if he's edited badly, but he may mind the reasoning behind it.
    The 18-49 demo has never overly kind to DWTS, the audience definitely skews older.

Whatever is going on in Maks' head, I think I agree that a season off would probably do him some good. Even if he doesn't jump into another project right away, and just watches the show from an outside perspective for a season, he needs to get some perspective about the bigger picture and his role in the show. Then he can better decide if he can still work with subpar partners, and deal with Len and Bruno and Carrie-Ann without things turning sour.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

There was an interesting interview with Teddy in regard to the reheasal packages they showed with Maks and Hope. While keeping in mind that he is/has been a student of Maks', he said that Maks's frustration was only in a very small part of their week, disproportunate to what was shown. And also, if he had to work with Hope day in and day out with the responsibilty on his shoulders, he would be more tense and less of a cut-up.
    We know that "reality tv" isn't exactly reality. If it were, there would be no need for writers on reality shows, just editors! Having said that, I don't think that Maks' "edit" did him any favors last night. In some raw footage I saw last week Tom was asked about what he thought of the drama with Maks. He said he was conflicted because on one hand, he could see it was good tv. But on the other hand, Maks is a personal friend and he hated to see him put himself in a position where he might be in trouble with his job. I took him to mean that there might be repercussions.
    Maybe we're seeing those repercussions and that was why Maks was so subdued.

You're probably right. With a couple like Tristan and Nancy, you could see this week that Nancy is mostly manufacturing her tantrums and their tension, so I doubt Tristan is in any heat for getting short with her. But I think Rule #1 that the show lays down to the pros must be "You can't turn on your partner (or even hint to the public that you'd like to), no matter how bad or difficult they are." And while Maks is probably more ticked at the producers and the judges, he's doing a bad job of masking his -- let's call it disenchantment with his partner this season. Not that I blame him, I think Hope's attitude is about on par with Macy Gray, only it's worse because Hope seems like she could be better if she changed her attitude.

So if there is such a thing as 'repercussions' on this show, I can't say I'm surprised.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    The 18-49 demo has never overly kind to DWTS, the audience definitely skews older.
    Ratings are typically higher, but there could be reasons why there lower this season. They tend to go up and down, though last night was said to be the lowest rated episode ever (or in many seasons-though the article I read blamed Halloween, as most shows saw a decline in their overall ratings). The show will never get the demo of 18-49 to where they want it, so it's why I wish they'd stop trying to turn this show into something it isn't. It's been 13 seasons and how many years; people know what it's all about by now.

There was an interesting interview with Teddy in regard to the reheasal packages they showed with Maks and Hope. While keeping in mind that he is/has been a student of Maks', he said that Maks's frustration was only in a very small part of their week, disproportunate to what was shown. And also, if he had to work with Hope day in and day out with the responsibilty on his shoulders, he would be more tense and less of a cut-up.
    We know that "reality tv" isn't exactly reality. If it were, there would be no need for writers on reality shows, just editors! Having said that, I don't think that Maks' "edit" did him any favors last night. In some raw footage I saw last week Tom was asked about what he thought of the drama with Maks. He said he was conflicted because on one hand, he could see it was good tv. But on the other hand, Maks is a personal friend and he hated to see him put himself in a position where he might be in trouble with his job. I took him to mean that there might be repercussions.
    Maybe we're seeing those repercussions and that was why Maks was so subdued.
    I remember Maks said last season that Teddy was a nervous wreck when he thought he was going to have to step in for him after he injured himself during the rumba (or whatever that wound up being). I do agree it's probably easier to work with a person for a day or two and have it all be fabulous, but working with them day in and day out, going through the ups and downs, happiness and fights, is different. I thought Maks did a great job when he stepped in for Derek back during season 9 that one week. When Edyta stepped in for Julianne season 7, she and Cody seemed to do okay but lacked any chemistry. They even admitted it was hard working with someone and having to actually go out and perform with them for scores that you barely knew. Since Conrad Green himself said he encourages talking back to the judges (and our version is mild compared to some others), I can't believe he'd hold that against Maks or another other pro. Obviously, some people snap, just like some people accidentally take their feet off the ground but still get docked a stupid point. It may be more turmoil behind the scenes that we're not seeing. One article I read, and it may have been the one talking about how the pros are often the actual star, and why some celebs select the pros they do, mentioned how the producers make sure the pros don't get too comfortable. They basically said if they get attitude or a sense of self entitlement, and the pro thinks they're invincible and question authority, then they can sideline them for a season or make it miserable. I believe the judges comments, scores, Brooke's questions are all scripted, just like the rehearsal packages. It creates the story, the edit, the image of the season. Tom has always had good things to say about Maks, which is why I think a lot of what we see is either edit or just his passion for the dance and wanting it to be right. I can see how this show gets to a purist and why some ballroom dancers/experts scoff at it (as well as other dance related talent shows). Many thought this season scraped the bottom of the barrel in terms of casting. Others think why would any celeb want to go on this show and risk coming off looking horrible and ruining any opportunities they may get as a result. I figure, it can be a boost for C and D list reality stars and one hit wonder former hearthrobs and teeny boppers. So they may figure it's worth it for the exposure. I guess we'll see what next season's cast brings us. Wonder if another Kardashian will enter the ballroom.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    Many thought this season scraped the bottom of the barrel in terms of casting. Others think why would any celeb want to go on this show and risk coming off looking horrible and ruining any opportunities they may get as a result. I figure, it can be a boost for C and D list reality stars and one hit wonder former hearthrobs and teeny boppers. So they may figure it's worth it for the exposure. I guess we'll see what next season's cast brings us. Wonder if another Kardashian will enter the ballroom.
    This is my first season watching the show, but I have been vaguely aware of the "stars" from past seasons and it strikes me as a venue for people looking to move up in the entertainment industry (e.g. reality TV participants) or people whose careers are in their twilight (e.g. the Osmonds, Sugar Ray Leonard, Buzz Aldrin).

I actually think that it would be really great to switch up partners during the course of the show. Whether they switch up just for one night -- like their theme for the week -- or make them draw out of the hat, similar to SYTYCD. While I know there would be height issues, etc., it would be interesting for the viewers and beneficial for the pros and the stars.
    Last edited by mnmhughes; 11-01-2011 at 08:28 PM.

+ Reply to Thread