+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree237Likes

Thread: Hope Solo & Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Season 13

Re: Hope Solo & Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Season 13

Quote Originally Posted by VAgirl79 View Post
    FWIW, Hope was on ESPN's SportsCenter live Friday am. Interviewed her about the Olympics, her father, her comments against Brandi Chastain, and then got into the stuff with Maks and the coach.

The jist of what she said in response to him saying the two men denied it (I didn't know Maks flat out denied it, beyond the cryptic tweet) was that she wasn't surprised and expected them to. She said that obviously lawyers (I interpreted that as the lawyers from her book company) looked into her claims before publishing because you can't just make something like that up and put it in a book if it's false, because of the potential legal repercussions.

The guy interviewing her asked her why she waited until now to talk, and her response was (paraphrased) "Why did I wait until now to talk about my homeless father? Why wait until now to talk about my mother's alcoholism?" She basically went on to say she wanted to speak the truth about her life, in all aspects, and now had the courage/confidence to do so.

I don't know what's true and what's not, but just thought I would share. FWIW, I knew about her book coming out roughly a month ago, and I'm not a soccer fan, but I am aware of sports happenings in general, to a point.
    More like until she could make some money from it. Sorry, I don't buy it.

As was mentioned above, why continue a friendship with Maks after the show if he did that? He's been tweeting this whole time, supporting her and Misty while they competed in London. If that was me and it happened like she said, I wouldn't have had a thing to do with him or anyone from the show as soon as my contractual obligations were fulfilled. JMHO.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

As was mentioned above, why continue a friendship with Maks after the show if he did that? He's been tweeting this whole time, supporting her and Misty while they competed in London. If that was me and it happened like she said, I wouldn't have had a thing to do with him or anyone from the show as soon as my contractual obligations were fulfilled. JMHO.
    Honestly, I'm inclined to agree with you, but I am trying to stay neutral in this since I wasn't there and it comes across as he said-she said to me.

Maybe it was just my imagination, but the SportsCenter interviewer (sorry, don't know his name) didn't seem to buy her story, either.
    karalott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

I don’t see an abusive person in Maks either although I did not see him push Hope since I missed several weeks of that season and he definitely crossed a line he never should have in doing that, without question, which has been echoed. Abuse requires a pattern of intent, though, and is indicative of a certain mindset behind that intent that I just have never seen in Maks -- and this is coming from someone who is highly sensitive to the issue of abuse and I take it incredibly seriously.

Tangentially to this topic, one of the reasons I have watched very little Reality TV over the past year, other than having a lot on my plate, is the tendency of Reality TV to make caricatures out of complex people and create rivalries and animosities to boost ratings. And I definitely see in Maks a complex person who can be temperamental and rebellious but also deeply thoughtful and very sensitive. The first two adjectives are the DWTS caricature of Maks while the other two facets are highly apparent in other public information available about Maks through his blogs, charity endeavors and the close relationships he has maintained with many of his former partners.

And, even though I missed much of that season, I clearly remember seeing Maks and Hope on Anderson Cooper’s show and she went on and on about how close she and Maks were and how upset she was that ABC cut out one of their scheduled interviews after they were eliminated and she even went as far as to suggest that DWTS manufactured the drama between them. So none of that fits with what Hope appears to be saying now nor does it fit with them being required to do the interview with Anderson if ABC had already cut a network interview they were scheduled to do. I also clearly remember her discussing her father’s homelessness which she is now saying she did not do previously?

Anywho, I am watching this upcoming DWTS season because Emmitt Smith is my childhood hero, but I am way over the manipulative storylines DWTS or anyone else is trying to sell when that narrative contradicts the totality of empirical public information currently available. I am also way over the caricatures and I am way over the rivalries, particularly pitting Maks against Derek -- which I suspect DWTS initiated through the tabloids -- when one individual has nothing to do with the other, particularly not as some sort of epic good versus evil battle. DWTS used to be good pure fun and it really is a shame that so much of that is now gone and it has become Reality TV sensationalism.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VAgirl79 View Post
    The guy interviewing her asked her why she waited until now to talk, and her response was (paraphrased) "Why did I wait until now to talk about my homeless father? Why wait until now to talk about my mother's alcoholism?" She basically went on to say she wanted to speak the truth about her life, in all aspects, and now had the courage/confidence to do so.

I don't know what's true and what's not, but just thought I would share. FWIW, I knew about her book coming out roughly a month ago, and I'm not a soccer fan, but I am aware of sports happenings in general, to a point.
    Why didn't she talk about those things before she became an Olympian? Hmm. That is the sad part. She could have done so much more with her book, telling her story and how she overcame her upbringing. THAT is admirable. Not everyone who is raised like that turns out to be an Olympic champion. She could have inspired many even before she was a soccer superstar. I betcha I could write a best seller based upon my life story. Would anyone be interested unless I excelled in some national/international arena? Probably not.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    Why didn't she talk about those things before she became an Olympian? Hmm. That is the sad part. She could have done so much more with her book, telling her story and how she overcame her upbringing. THAT is admirable. Not everyone who is raised like that turns out to be an Olympic champion. She could have inspired many even before she was a soccer superstar. I betcha I could write a best seller based upon my life story. Would anyone be interested unless I excelled in some national/international arena? Probably not.
    Ah Junkie I'm sure your story is far more interesting and I bet it would be the truth too!
    AZChristian likes this.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    Ah Junkie I'm sure your story is far more interesting and I bet it would be the truth too!
    Aww, thanks Jucamer. You made me blush. It would be interesting, and the truth would not always be pretty.

So has Maks responded at all to these allegations any more than what he's said or has the story gone off the radar already?
    karalott and jucamer like this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

The latest from HuffPo is that not only is Maks considering a lawsuit, DWTS is also considering suing Hope for breach of contract:

Maksim Chmerkovskiy Of 'Dancing With The Stars' May Sue Partner Hope Solo

Maksim Chmerkovskiy says he is shocked and hurt by the accusations made against him by his former "Dancing With the Stars" partner Hope Solo. He said he has made it clear to friends that he was never physically abusive to the Olympic champion, despite Hope's claims against him in her controversial memoir, "Solo: A Memoir of Hope."

"Maks is one of the nicest guys in the world. This is 100 percent not true," a source close to the show told me. "At the moment, Maks and ABC are not making any public statements, as they are considering legal options. Not only did Hope not tell the truth in the book, she also signed a contract with the producers of 'DWTS' and could be in breach of contract."

"He was often nasty, swearing at me and being harshly critical," Hope writes. "He manhandled me in rehearsals from the start, pushing me, whacking my stomach, bending my arms roughly."

Unable to respond directly to the accusations, Maksim took to his Twitter account. "Always hated hypocrites and liars," he tweeted. "But when someone is both AND an opportunist, I just feel bad for them. Can't win at someone’s expense."

It seems he's also getting support from former partner Kirstie Alley. "I think it's always important to use your 15 minutes of fame to create something good in the world," she tweeted. "On that note … smooch and buona notte."

Despite growing pressure and potential legal issues, a source close to Hope says she won't back down.

"Hope is standing behind what she wrote and has no intention of issuing an apology. No one has tried to muzzle her yet -- today she did a bunch of interviews, including ESPN," said a colleague of hers.

ABC and Chmerkovskiy's manager have declined to comment.
    Maksim Chmerkovskiy Of 'Dancing With The Stars' May Sue Partner Hope Solo
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I don't know if I see any lawsuit going anywhere, although the DWTS producers may have a better leg to stand on with the whole breach of contract issue. Even if Hope's claims were true. And I don't believe entirely that just because lawyers checked it out that it means it's legit. Oprah got scammed by a best seller whose publishers apparently never thought to fact check his story. Has Hope been asked why she's stayed such good friends with Maks if he really treated her so terribly? I doubt she'd be getting the attention if she didn't make such claims.

The more I hear of Hope's allegations, the more I call BS. For one thing, she seems a little too specific. Secondly, for someone who apparently had such a platonic and violent partnership with Maks, she had no problem staying friends with him since season 13 ended. The producers totally ignored the whole Jaleel blow up last season, yet the news was out there, and it got reported. Just never confirmed. I have a hard time believing all this was going on behind the scenes and TPTB either didn't show it or no "sources" leaked it.

That’s interesting about Jaleel, Kara. I missed all of last season so I just Googled it. As much as they love drama, I think ABC might have downplayed that incident at the time, other than it being leaked, because Jaleel was on an ABC show that did (or might still air?) in syndication on ABC Family and it looks like they are still in the process of trying to release DVDs for that series and that could have hurt potential DVD demand for a family show. They love to cast Maks in his primary role of the Bad Boy of the Ballroom, though, and, my personal favorite is when they seemed desperate to turn Bruno into the next Simon Cowell.

I also thought of James Frey immediately with regard to Hope because there is tremendous pressure in the publishing world to write something sexy or sensational enough to really sell and Frey had A Million Little Pieces rejected numerous times as fiction but as a sensational memoir he found a publisher.

As far as the lawsuits, I think Katesmom is a practicing attorney so maybe she will chime in, but I would think their legal strategy would be to put pressure on Hope to retract her statements and settle that way rather than filing suit. I really get the strong sense that DWTS authorized this source to tell HuffPo that what Hope said is “100% not true” and that ABC/DWTS would try to cover themselves some other way if they didn’t know it for sure which makes me think that they must tape all the hours of the rehearsals -- maybe even secretly -- and then have them do re-enactments for the rehearsal packages that end up on the show. And I say secretly tape all of the rehearsals because if they did it openly Hope would know that. Trying to logically figure out exactly what is going on with the production of DWTS is kind of like going down a rabbit hole, though.

So does anyone have link to the part of the book about Maks? If it is only this one statement...

"He was often nasty, swearing at me and being harshly critical," Hope writes. "He manhandled me in rehearsals from the start, pushing me, whacking my stomach, bending my arms roughly."

...then I don't know what the excitement is all about. These accusations are all believable for their interactions that season. Not sure I would call it "abuse." It seemed to me that Maks was far more forceful with Hope than any other partner, which I attributed to her tom boy attitude as well as his frustration that a partner that he himself selected wasn't really a good dancer.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

+ Reply to Thread