+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree237Likes

Thread: Hope Solo & Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Season 13

Re: Hope Solo & Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Season 13

Nice blog from Maks. Thanks, Kararlott, for bringing it over here to FORT.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

There was some very interesting and quite telling stuff in Maks' blog. Something is definitely going on behind the scenes. He mentioned that there were some developments before this season and then some developments during this season that now have him re-evaluating whether or not he even wants to come back in the spring. I think that it is pretty evident what this season's developments were. And he made it clear that him returning in the spring might possibly be out of his hands anyway.

I personally think that DWTS needs to take a long hard look at themselves. They were the ones that kept fanning the controversy between Carrie Ann and Maks. The dustup with Len was minor compared to how Carrie Ann acted. The producers were the ones who kept bringing it up and showing the clips week after week instead of letting it die down. They wanted the drama, and now they are turning it all on Maks - and Hope to an extent. I don't think they ever thought that this whole drama thing would get people so riled up that they would take to the the blogs and start expressing their dissatisfaction with the judges and their blatant appearance of favoritism. I think that this caught them off guard at the sheer numbers who were siding with Maks' comments about the judges. DWTS took the focus off of the DANCING portion of the competition when they started bringing in controversial celebrities for the "shock factor". It is no longer merely about the dancing - not really.

And I am so disgusted with how DWTS has handled everything in the aftermath. It has made me not want to tune in to watch next week, and that is really sad, because I think that JR deserves to win the competition - even though that might not happen. But, sadly I am so turned off by Carrie Ann in particular that I can't take 4 more hours with her in it. So, best of luck to you JR. I hope that you come out the winner.
    Last edited by Longhornfan; 11-18-2011 at 05:37 PM.
    karalott, Minney, TIA__MA and 3 others like this.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

If the show wants drama, controversy, and publicity, why wouldn't they include Maks? They always know they can count on him for it, or at least edit him in a negative light and pin something on him I think the development Maks was talking about for this season was his brother joining; after last season, he seemed ready for a break and I think he intended on it. Maybe it would have been in his best interest after all (though as a selfish fan, I'm glad he didn't ) This is really the first time I've heard any hint about him not coming back, it being out of his hands, and that remark Tom made after the first bust up with Len that he was worried about his friend's job. I guess Maks figures if he's not asked back, this is at least his way of saying what he thinks is wrong with the show and that some fans agree. While there's been talk for several seasons about the judges needing to go, this seems to be the first one that's getting the most publicity as to whether they need to be replaced. If they really want to stir up drama, I say add a 4th female judge that's a ballroom expert to put CA on her place. I don't think she'd like someone treading on her territory (and a threat to her crushing on her boys).

And per DWTSGossip, Hope will be at the finale.
    TIA__MA likes this.

They always have, and still do, refer to Maks as the "Bad Boy of the Ballroom" (I heard it even last week)... so maybe Maks is just fulfilling the label THEY have given him!

FORT Fogey

Maks is too much of a diva for the show. The other pros are beautiful, talented, get enough media time and space but try to divert the attention to the their stars. Like they try to make their stars look good. Even the judges and presenters, including Brook are significant on one hand but theu keep the emphasis on the stars. Brook though beautiful does not steal the thunder from the stars. In all, they all do their jobs very well. Except Maks. He wants the focus on himself. Derek does what he is told. Is that not what we do in a job. We have the general specifications of what is expected of us and we carry on our work. We do not go quarelling with our colleagues in our department or other departments because we do not think they are qualified to do their work. It takes the focus off the stars and smack on the pros. It becomes like the xfactor where the judges/pros are the real focus/stars.

I will totally understand if Maks is not called back. Tony crossed the line when he said Carrie Ann was not qualified to judge since she was not in ballroom dancing. It is not his business who they ask to judge. It is his business to train a star to dance then perform at the end of the week. stop. Maks crossed the line in a worse way by saying Len should retire. That was very personal and an insult, and he has the nerve to say the show was about him Maks-is he dreaming or is he for real. What ego. Can't wait to see him go. he spoils it for me.
    Tobi and indy1945 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Living View Post
    Maks is too much of a diva for the show. The other pros are beautiful, talented, get enough media time and space but try to divert the attention to the their stars. Like they try to make their stars look good. Even the judges and presenters, including Brook are significant on one hand but theu keep the emphasis on the stars. Brook though beautiful does not steal the thunder from the stars. In all, they all do their jobs very well. Except Maks. He wants the focus on himself. Derek does what he is told. Is that not what we do in a job. We have the general specifications of what is expected of us and we carry on our work. We do not go quarelling with our colleagues in our department or other departments because we do not think they are qualified to do their work. It takes the focus off the stars and smack on the pros. It becomes like the xfactor where the judges/pros are the real focus/stars.

I will totally understand if Maks is not called back. Tony crossed the line when he said Carrie Ann was not qualified to judge since she was not in ballroom dancing. It is not his business who they ask to judge. It is his business to train a star to dance then perform at the end of the week. stop. Maks crossed the line in a worse way by saying Len should retire. That was very personal and an insult, and he has the nerve to say the show was about him Maks-is he dreaming or is he for real. What ego. Can't wait to see him go. he spoils it for me.
    Except when she says 'back when I did the show...' I'll agree to disagree, obviously. I don't see why the pros need to be watching themselves and shaking because the producers have said they're easily replacable, but the same doesn't hold true for the judges. If it wasn't for all the judge drama this season, there'd barely be anything worth talking about, and it's about the only lifeline the producers have had in the media (aside from Nancy's wardrobe malfunction). I think it says worse of the producers for not letting one of their couples do the standard press line just because they're worried they'll stir up more conspiracy theories or dare to speak negatively about the experience (which I highly doubt Hope would have done). I'll also disagree that Maks is the only pro who makes it about him. I think the exact opposite. If there's one pro who can't stand having the spotlight off of them, it's Mark. I also think CA was out of line when she called Maks out for smiling during her critique (if she wants to call it that, and which he wasn't doing). Yet they have yet to call Mark out for outdancing his partners, rule breaking, or putting the spotlight on him. It's why I've grown to dislike the judges and think the pros have every right to call them out; they aren't equal opportunity criticizers. But, the show obviously encourages their antics, and while they probably enjoy when the pros and/or the celebs bite back, they have more to lose in the end. CA doesn't know what she's talking about, and she can't even keep what she says straight when she's called out. I doubt anything will change, but I don't think celebs sign up to be told they aren't feminine/masculine enough or compared to mammels. Frankly, I wouldn't blame a wannabe hoofer who had any shred of pride or dignity to not sign up, unless they got an obvious favorite pro. But whether CA has a grudge or not, I'd still pick Maks, Val, or Tony I think everyone that's been involved thinks they're in the right and has a healthy ego about them. Obviously people pick sides and will disagree with whoever they think is at fault. I did notice Bruno finally signed up for twitter; CA must be relieved that she won't be the only judge having to defend herself and take flack. I don't think I've ever seen her make comments about it being an intense and drama filled season. I do pity the judges a little if it's all scripted by the producers what they say and score, although I have to think some things are of their own doing.

In terms of Maks saying that to Len-they were and still are friends outside the show. Someone here posted they golf together all the time. I really think that Maks was making a tongue in cheek comment, and then it escalated because CA got involved, and the media was having a slow news week (and DWTS is having an off season, so they need people to talk about something). I think Maks made a good point that week by saying everyone's working their butts off to only be greeted with inconsistant, non constructive criticism.

Nice blog from Maks. Thanks, Kararlott, for bringing it over here to FORT.
    You're welcome! I always enjoy reading what the pros have to say. Louis has been doing a blog and chiming in with his thoughts, despite not being on this season. I noticed this week he seemed to overly agree with CA on her comments (though he didn't touch smile-gate), which some thought was him sucking up to get back on the show. I thought that was funny, but I doubt it, since he does know ballroom. Louis had said earlier in the season he'd love to judge, and despite being friends with all of the pros, I think he'd be more fair and unbiased than the trio we have. If we only have 11 celebs next season, as the past 2 spring seasons have had, it makes me wonder if we will see a shake up in the pro line up next season. We have 12 this season, so obviously someone is out by default. They usually have 6 male celebs to 5 female celebs in odd numbered seasons, except season 10 had 6 female celebs and 5 males. I do worry that Maks and/or Val might be sitting out next season I'd rather lose Mark on the guys side. Maybe he'll get an early exit again.
    Last edited by karalott; 11-19-2011 at 05:37 PM.

I guess you don't watch Mark or Derek all that much Maks is a wonderful dancer and teacher and the show would sorely miss him if he leaves. I know I and millions of others would as well.

FORT Fanatic

I don't think Tony stating a fact, is crossing the line at all. And it is a fact that Carrie Ann has absolutely no background in ballroom dancing. Neither does Bruno. Carrie Ann picks one hot guy every single season, and that is who she fixates on, whether they can dance or not. And there have been quite a few of her favorite hot men that couldn't dance at all. That's enough to tell me she has no business judging on this show.

There are also more than a few pros who make the dances all about themselves, some are just more obvious than others. I think one of the biggest mistakes this show made, was having the same pros come back season after season. Their popularity grew so much, that they outstar their stars now, for the most part.

FORT Fogey

With the DWTS format even with the caliber of judges, the show continues to generate cash and the next season is already in the works. Means something is working for them. Why change it. If the show were just about ballroom dancing, I am sure they could get some professional ballroom judges to judge. It is entertainment and they have their format which they are happy with. Each one plays their part and all goes well. Not playing your part or stepping out of the boundary of your part is like trying to play someone else's part in a movie shoot. They may accept it once or so. But, if it continues you become a disruption/nuisance and you need to go.

Some of the pros get it that it is entertainment. others just don't. After watching Mak's freestyle, I realized how limited his repetoire is. There have been times in the past I have rooted for him, but he has disappointed me with his limited cheorography. Even with good dancers as partners, he has failed to cheorograph something spectacular. Pity.

With the DWTS format even with the caliber of judges, the show continues to generate cash and the next season is already in the works. Means something is working for them. Why change it. If the show were just about ballroom dancing, I am sure they could get some professional ballroom judges to judge. It is entertainment and they have their format which they are happy with. Each one plays their part and all goes well. Not playing your part or stepping out of the boundary of your part is like trying to play someone else's part in a movie shoot. They may accept it once or so. But, if it continues you become a disruption/nuisance and you need to go.

Some of the pros get it that it is entertainment. others just don't. After watching Mak's freestyle, I realized how limited his repetoire is. There have been times in the past I have rooted for him, but he has disappointed me with his limited cheorography. Even with good dancers as partners, he has failed to cheorograph something spectacular. Pity.
    What Peta did with Ron is what I consider limited choreography. Now, he may have been a hopeless cause, but she barely gave him anything to clomp to. In regards to the other pros, at this stage, seeing the same pros season after season, most of the choreography I consider to be stale and repetitive. We already know what's going to happen before it happens. The only ones I can get excited to see, choreography wise, is Anna, Louis, Chelsie, and, for eye candy reasons, Maks and Tony Maks has come up with some of the all time greatest routines. They picked his and Mel's paso, perhaps one of the best (if not the best) in DWTS history, to repeat on their 200th show season 11. And I often see that ranked #1, or in the top 3, when people in the media talk about past couples and dances. Anything he did with Mel was amazing. I don't know how many times I've re-watched those dances. His AT with Erin, his cha cha and AT with Kirstie, his tango and foxtrot with Tia, his rumba with Willa, his AT with Brandy...there's more, but I easily think they can stand up there with the best of them.

DWTS is like any other reality show, in that what was once a fun, cheesy, nice family show, is now all about controversy, drama, and ratings, and doing anything possible to get it. Bruno didn't get reeled in after slamming Michael Bolton, and it's not the first season someone was told it was their worst dance or that they needed to go, or that Bruno compared someone to a hobbit or an animal...I don't see why that's considered good for ratings, but ratings have gone down somewhat, maybe they need to re-examine that. Maybe their format isn't working as well as they think. Eventually, people will tire of it, and turn it off for good, and they may not be able to re-bound. Even Tom spoke up about this season's declining ratings and said that maybe the show needs to go to a once a year format. If Maks isn't back, someone else will be turned into the "bad boy", and they'll find someone else to push to the brink of fighting with the judges and getting a negative edit with their partner. Obviously, Maks is polarizing enough that I know he isn't for everyone. I didn't like him until season 5 and never expected to be turned into the fan that I am. I'll miss him if he's gone (greatly ), but there's pros I wouldn't miss if they were gone, and their fans would. I guess the best way to watch this show and not get worked up is to not have a favorite on there. Changing the judges isn't going to bring ratings down, just like Derek taking last season off didn't, or losing Julianne, or Maks taking season 6 off.
    Last edited by karalott; 11-19-2011 at 08:36 PM.

+ Reply to Thread