+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: *Dancing With the Stars Official Cast Reveal (Fall-Season 13)*

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: *Dancing With the Stars Official Cast Reveal (Fall-Season 13)*

RE: A-listers. Eh, I've been happy for the most part with who they get in the cast. Ricki Lake has long been on my wish list, and most of the people who have yet to do the show that I'd love to see wouldn't qualify as A-list. However, I still think back in their day, when their fame was at its peak, some of the celebs they've gotten wouldn't have ever taken part. Most people think doing this show is a way to recapture the fame that the celebs have fallen out of, or to make a name for themselves other than 'someone famous's child' or 'the ex of an A-lister'. I'm sure Chaz was cast more for his story than his parents anyway, but having the Cher connection probably doesn't hurt. Whether it'll do for him like it did for Bristol we'll see. I feel like I at least knew of Chaz without automatically connecting him to his parents. I'd rather see him than the likes of Paris Hilton or a reality star whose claim to fame is getting wasted and sleeping with a bunch of random people in one night. I think if there were A-listers, people would whine that their fan base would help them win regardless of how they dance, why are they stooping to the show, there were better choices, let someone who needs the show do it...I think every season people find something to complain about Last season was the lack of star power, but it was one of the most enjoyable seasons I've had in a long time. Sometimes celebs I've known nothing about I grew to love, and continue to follow them in their respective careers long after their DWTS stints. As much as people say the producers are scrapping the bottom of the barrel this season, I think they've been there before. It'll take more than a cast of C/D listers to kill the show.

The only thing that can really ruin a season for me is someone getting by based on their political/social interest leanings when they can't dance for crap, producer manipulation, ringers who are better than the pros, or an outcome that's made obvious by week 1. As much as I'm rooting for Ricki, I will be somewhat disappointed if Derek wins again. I know it's not supposed to be about the celeb, but if his fans on twitter are anything to go by, I think they forget that rule and that he even has a celeb. I wish the judges wouldn't be so OTT, overly critical over minor things when letting other couples get away with a lot more, and that the producers would stay out of the drama and showmances. But I'll keep watching

I agree Fanny Mare that I think the media and TPTB are blowing this up into epic proportions. I have no doubt there's controversy, but suddenly Carson gets dragged into it? I think there just making a bigger deal out of it with headlines, snippets of interviews, and will use that to try and drum up ratings and turn this into another Bristol rated season. However, I think there's a line they can cross with all this hype and controversial casting and doing anything for ratings. I know there going up against the X Factor (not on the same night, but overall ratings for the week), which I'm sure will blow the rest of the competition out of the water, at least for a few weeks. I think that's been a lot of hype in itself, but that's another topic. I wouldn't be surprised for the producers to throw in a few kinks if it means saving people they think will make better press, or planting fake stories in the press to drive watercooler buzz, or cause drama and showmances if they aren't already happening. Such a good cast on paper, but I don't trust TPTB not to ruin what could be a good season.

So it looks like for week 1, we're up to the cha cha for Kristin, Nancy, Elizabetta, Carson, Ron (not 100% confirmed), and VW for Hope, Ricki, Chyna, and Rob. I really hope that some stars make a big splash on the first night and cause a shake up with the fan bases. I'd love nothing more than tosee Maks, Anna, or Tony win this season. Not really counting on Tony, but I think Maks and Anna might have a good shot. Also, the dance troupe is returning with 3 original members (Oksana, Kiki, and Teddy), and 3 new members. One of them, I believe, is Val's pro partner from his days of competing.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    I like Chaz well enough, as a person, but that's not the issue. To me, the issue is NOT that Chaz is transgendered. I could care less about that. What bothers me is that Chaz is NOT a star! This is 'Dancing With the Stars' -- right???? Chaz is not a star. Period.
    I guess this topic is just not going to go away. Seems every season the title of this show bothers some. Dancing With People We May Recognize From the Media is way too long and awkward. They are using the word "star" as verbal shorthand.

Another tired issue that will rise again is better dancers being eliminated before someone with lesser skill and more fans. Fan base rules. That is the way it is. Ultimately a good dancer wins.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 09-05-2011 at 06:21 AM.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

It will be just like last year, some have a greater fan base, and that base will vote regardless if they can dance or not. Is it over yet? LOL I love this

Dancing With People We May Recognize From the Media

DWTS Season 13 Pairs Pictures - The Hollywood Gossip

Promo pics of all the couples. Maks looks mighty happy.

I like for a title 'Dancing with People Famous for their Families, Exes, and Tabloids'

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I guess this topic is just not going to go away. Seems every season the title of this show bothers some. Dancing With People We May Recognize From the Media is way too long and awkward. They are using the word "star" as verbal shorthand.
    Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I like for a title 'Dancing with People Famous for their Families, Exes, and Tabloids'

This one would probably never fit in the channel guide, but I think it captures the general gist of DWTS:

Dancing with People: Many of whom you’ll probably have to Google search, Some of which will last long past what should be their expiration date, Possibly a ringer or two and One who will get stuck with Mark Ballas’ mugging, upstaging and basically trying anything he can think of to steal her spotlight.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post

This one would probably never fit in the channel guide, but I think it captures the general gist of DWTS:

Dancing with People: Many of whom you’ll probably have to Google search, Some of which will last long past what should be their expiration date, Possibly a ringer or two and One who will get stuck with Mark Ballas’ mugging, upstaging and basically trying anything he can think of to steal her spotlight.
    I guess now we know why they call it Dancing With the Stars, it'd take the announcer half the episode to get through a title with a truer meaning for the celeb pool. Besides, why bruise any D-listers ego that believes he or she is really a "star"? I feel like every season, there's at least a dozen posts at every forum mentioning google in them. Makes me wonder why some international verisions go by DWTS, but others (including the one that started it all, the British version), doesn't even mention stars or celebrities in their title. I think my favorite was during season 10 when Tom re-named it 'Dancing with the Dancers'. That season had one of the biggest ringers ever to grace the stage (if not the biggest ringer), so it fit.

I'm seeing TPTB speak up some more about Chaz and are now saying he's the most "compelling character" (for now, let's what and see what they cast in the future). I really can't wait to get the first couple of weeks out of the way, because I feel like they're really going to overdo Chaz's backstory. I'm all for mentioning it (how can they not, and why shouldn't they), but I really don't buy into the whole 'will he or won't he silence his haters' by being able to dance well. It's got nothing to do with dancing for the people protesting his participation, and sadly, he likely won't change their minds. Hopefully he can at least be an inspiration to families who are in the same boat he and his family were in when he decided to change his gender. But I hope this isn't a weekly thing where they continue to overdo the angle. Not just for him, as I'm thinking Nancy, David, and Carson will no doubt get an angle of their own.

I really can't wait for the premiere, especially after looking at the new cast photos. Some of them look awkward. Val and Elisabetta looked the most natural, as did Hope/Maks, J.R./Karina, and David/Kym. Some looked like they were trying too hard. Ricki's got me curious now if she'll be like Kirstie and shake her curves or if she'll struggle. I like her, so my Derek fatigue aside, I'd like to see her last a few weeks. Maks look very fan boy towards Hope. Chyna/Tony looked lovely. I hate saying it, but Kristin/Mark looked equally good, though what is it with Mark and that footwear? I doubt he's changed since last season. With Derek back it may be worse. I wonder if the first time the judges criticize him he'll bring up his Emmy noms. I feel like Cheryl's forcing a smile with Rob. I really don't expect much out of him. Ron was holding Peta, so it was hard to tell, but he looks like he'll tower over her. I'm glad Lacey seems to have stuck with one hair color. Not sure if I'm looking forward to seeing her with Chaz or not. She could totally overplay the situation to give herself more publicity. I've usually only liked her with duds (well, Steve-O, but that was the only partnership of hers I didn't mind). She was good with Kyle, but I would have liked Kyle with anyone.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Been trying to keep the initials the same: "Dancing with the So-so's"

If it were up to Mark: "Dancing with the Spats"

FORT Fogey

I do not claim to understand anything much about the transgender world, and I am in no way opposed to what makes someone happy, but I have to say Chaz looks like a woman with a beard period.

Rob Kardashian -- No Time for 'Dancing With the Stars' Rehearsals | TMZ.com

Rob Kardashian
    Time for Trash Talk
    No Time for 'DWTS' Rehearsal

Rob Kardashian has a nasty case of pre-dance jitters -- and it's starting to piss off his "Dancing with the Stars" partner.

Sources close to the show tell us Rob is very nervous and has refused to rehearse longer than 2 hours with Cheryl Burke -- while most of the contestants are logging more than 5 hour practices.

We're told Cheryl is "fed up" with what she perceives to be Rob's lack of interest in the show.

But Rob is still talking a big game ... because we're told he's bragging constantly to big sis Kim that he will top her 'DWTS' performance by making it past week 3.

Note to Rob: You don't have Kim's "assets." Get to practice.
    Somehow I don't think people will actually tell Rob 'good job' over lasting longer than Kim, if he does manage to do so. I guess if it's his claim to fame, he'll have to take it. Hopefully he's the first to go.

In regards to Chaz, eventually, I get tired of who can out-sob story and out inspire the rest. I think Chaz is an inspiration to people in his position, as is J.R. They apply to two different circles, and will probably impact in different ways. But I mostly look forward to dancing, and cheering on my favorites (whether they're good or bad). I just don't want to see another season where the ratings grabbers get a free pass every week, while others don't stand a chance. I think I liked last season because there were no pre-story lines following celebs into the show. It's one reason I got tired of AI.
    Last edited by karalott; 09-06-2011 at 03:36 PM.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton View Post
    I do not claim to understand anything much about the transgender world, and I am in no way opposed to what makes someone happy, but I have to say Chaz looks like a woman with a beard period.
    Chaz still has treatments to go yet.Not sure what, but I know he hasn't finished with them. I hope he loses some weight, I think the with the mixture of hormones etc he has put on a lot of weight.Cher said something about that( one of the many reasons she was worried about Chaz)

+ Reply to Thread