+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: *Dancing With the Stars Season 13 (Fall) News & Speculation*

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: *Dancing With the Stars Season 13 (Fall) News & Speculation*

Re Chaz being on because he's Sonny and Cher's kid, and not just some random transperson.... obviously DWTS considers parental fame transferrable...vide Bristol Palin vs. some random unwed teen mom. And both have used their "fame" to advocate for their "causes", so have done a little something themselves.

Re the word "choice"---Bristol made choices that led to her being an unwed teen mom, even if a lot of them probably weren't actually thought out at the time (although acting on impulse and not thinking is also a choice I guess). Chaz didn't choose to be trans, he just was/is. He did choose to act on his feelings in terms of the surgery--other trans people make different choices.

I have to say that since so many of these "stars" are unknown to me, it helps to have anything that provides a little name recognition!

And I agree, Carson should be a hoot--I only watched a few episodes of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, but he was definitely the stand out personality.

Re those moms---good grief, turn off the TV if you don't want your kids to watch! Personally if my kids were young today there's very little I"d want them to watch in the "family hour"....even back in the day there wasn't much. So they didn't watch very much that wasn't on PBS. And I agree, those costumes, and the messages they convey to little girls about what makes them look good...yikes.
    Last edited by PWS; 09-05-2011 at 07:25 PM.

I was initially going to skip watching this season of DWTS until I read the cast will include Carson Kressley and Chaz Bono. Carson I think will be a dear. Chaz I am not so sure of. I watched Chaz on his season of Celebrity Fit Club and felt that he was not really trying to participate fully with what the show had to offer as far as exercise and diet. I myself am a emotional eater and with all that Chaz has been through the last several years I think he is too. He has gained alot of weight since Celebrity Fit Club and I wonder how he will be able to handle the practices? I truly hope he can enjoy DWTS and throw himself into the process and I would like to see how far he can go. Best of luck to both.

First person I want to see gone is Nancy Grace....yuck.
    NFL1 and Allie like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    I too abhor the vitriol being served up against Chaz. I don't expect him to go far, but I do hope that his (and Lacey's) positive attitude will quell the uproar from all the bigots out there.

On another topic I just saw an article on Yahoo News where the preseason betting odds have been posted. Here they are:

Elisabetta Canalis 3/1
    Carson Kressley 4/1
    Kristin Cavallari 5/1
    Chynna Phillips 6/1
    Robert Kardashian 15/2
    Hope Solo 8/1
    Ron Artest 10/1
    David Arquette 10/1
    J.R. Martinez 12/1
    Ricki Lake 15/1
    Nancy Grace 18/1
    Chaz Bono 20/1

If Derek manages to pull off a 4th win will this convince everyone that he can bring the best out with a less physically gifted star?
    I'm not sure how less physically gifted she is than the rest of the cast just yet going in to the show. I suspect she may be close or at the top of the heap...

I read somewhere the other day that she had some dance experience and could dance, so on a hunch, I went and youtubed her name with dance, and sure enough there was a clip with her dancing in Hairspray. I couldn't pick her out ( as they were in costume), and I didn't see the show, so I don't know the extent of her expertise or experience, but everybody in that group was dancing quite well!

My guess is that Derek is now going to get somebody relatively good so that the producers can be assured of some quality couples' dancing. I think they care about that more than they care about the outrage over Derek winning too many times.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Kristin Cavallari & J.R. Martinez -- Dancing with the Stars' Best Dancers?

Secrets From The ‘DWTS’ Set: Kristin Cavallari & J.R. Martinez Are The Best Dancers, Plus More!

A set insider from ‘Dancing with the Stars’ tells HollywoodLife.com which dancers are looking the best, who’s the biggest diva and who should win an award for congeniality!
    The thirteenth season of Dancing with the Stars is in full motion, with the stars and their professional dancers rehearsing as intensely as they can to blow the competition out of the water. However, as of now, an on-set insider tells us there are two stars in particular who shine the brightest on the dance floor.
    “Kristin Cavallari and J.R. Martinez are the best so far,” our source dishes to HollywoodLife.com exclusively. “It just seems to come naturally to them.”

Kristin, 24, seems like she certainly has the build for a dance competition, while J.R., a 28-year-old former soldier, actor and spokesperson, has the drive.

However, it’s not going as smoothly for all the competitors.

“David Arquette, Chaz Bono and Ricki Lake are all working the hardest, but they aren’t as strong of dancers,” our source admits.

Meanwhile, certain stars have already won the hearts of their competition — even if their moves aren’t super saucy. “David, Chaz, Hope Solo and Ron Artest are definitely people who stick out as being incredibly cool and super nice to everyone so far. I’d say they are the most genuine,” our source says.

The insider adds, “But George Clooney‘s ex, Elisabetta Canalis, needs to get out of her shell. She’s rubbing people the wrong way. Mostly it’s just how shy she is — she’s stand-offish. But hopefully, she’ll warm up to people.”

When it comes to the Dancing with the Stars cast this season, who are YOU rooting for? Sound off below!
    I'm worried now for Elisabetta/Val Also, David, as I like him and Kym. I'm not really counting on her winning a second time in a row, but he's got the most star power going into this season. Or at least he seems to be most accomplished on paper. However, I'm thinking because of that, along with Kym's track record with partners named David, he might be a surprise early/middle ouster. I'd rather see Derek win a 4th time than Mark make the finals. Hopefully some others have bigger fanbases or surprise us. I'm sure they'll be the target couple for Bruno throwing out 10s for booty shaking and a showmance. It might be interesting if pro fanbases are what keep a couple around this season.
    Last edited by karalott; 09-07-2011 at 04:51 PM.

This is because Derek's overall popularity outweighs the portion of the fans who may be 'outraged.'

Ricki Lake was in the original film version of Hairspray in 1988. She played Tracy Turnbladt, and had to learn all the 60s dances for the movie, but it had nothing to do with ballroom. Also she weighed as much as a Tracey is supposed to weigh back then (a lot), and didn't lose all that weight until sometime in the 90s. She's 43 years old, and I don't think she will be a 'ringer' or even as good as Jennifer Grey (ironically, Dirty Dancing came out around the same time as Hairspray, lol). But yeah, she's no Macy Gray.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Some random thoughts on the upcoming season:

I understand people saying they don't know who anyone is and not wanting to watch. People say that every season. Heck, I have said it in the past. Then I remember two names - Gilles Marini and Ty Murray. I had no idea who either of them were before their seasons started and they have been two of the people I ended up loving the most. Romeo is a good example from last season of someone I didn't think I would like and grew to really enjoy. So at least for me, I love the show, I love watching the dancing, so I will at least give it a chance. Maybe someone from this season will grow on me too.

Chaz controversy - I just don't get it. I watch this show for the dancing. If someone is good, I like them and give them votes. If they aren't, then I don't. I think sometimes people (no one here) are not happy unless they are complaining about something. As for the moms with their kids - why do they need to tell their kids? I don't give background on people - I don't necessarily care about their background. I care about their dancing. I don't know why more than a person's name is necessary to judge their dancing?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Some random thoughts on the upcoming season:

I understand people saying they don't know who anyone is and not wanting to watch. People say that every season. Heck, I have said it in the past. Then I remember two names - Gilles Marini and Ty Murray. I had no idea who either of them were before their seasons started and they have been two of the people I ended up loving the most. Romeo is a good example from last season of someone I didn't think I would like and grew to really enjoy. So at least for me, I love the show, I love watching the dancing, so I will at least give it a chance. Maybe someone from this season will grow on me too.

Chaz controversy - I just don't get it. I watch this show for the dancing. If someone is good, I like them and give them votes. If they aren't, then I don't. I think sometimes people (no one here) are not happy unless they are complaining about something. As for the moms with their kids - why do they need to tell their kids? I don't give background on people - I don't necessarily care about their background. I care about their dancing. I don't know why more than a person's name is necessary to judge their dancing?

I'm sort of perplexed as to why truly young, impressionable youngsters would be sitting through three hours (competition/results) of televised ballroom dance a week in the first place. Is DWTS really that popular with the under ten set? If they're over ten, wouldn't most kids that age know about homosexuals, if not the transgendered? Wouldn't a simple explanation of what a transgender is suffice for a ten year old? Would they even bother to ask in the first place? Or would they just assume Chaz was a guy and leave it at that, unless the show really hammers on his sexual orientation, and I would hope that would avoid that in everyone's case, as who really cares about all the intimate details of the stars' lives? It's not like they yapped on and on about either of Hugh Hefner's girlfriends when they were on, nor did they mention Kim Kardashian's sex tape. They treated that like it really didn't have any relevant connections to the show, which it didn't. Chaz's transgender status and Carson's sexual orientation are equally irrelevant to their ballroom dancing prowess.
    Bunny555 likes this.

Agree 100% Tilden. My kids are in bed by 8pm. My comment just related to those parents who seem to be so up in arms because now they can't let their kids watch this show. Not sure who these kids are or how old they are. But I think people way over-complicate things to make issues of stuff that aren't issues. There is no reason a kid needs to know the whole background of a person to enjoy that person's dancing.

Sometimes I actually think parents are really dumb as to what they think kids do and do not know - and how they react to it. I recently had to have surgery and I was honest with my 3yo, telling her I had to go to the hospital, but that I would be home that night. I didn't know if she even knew what the hospital was or what happened there. When I told her that, she asked me if I was broken. Seriously, out of the mouths of babes! I told her that I was broken, but that the doctor was going to fix me up. She was fine with that explanation. I just think sometimes we either assume kids don't know things that they actually do - or we feel like we have to overcomplicate things, which really isn't necessary.

My 3yo loves to watch DWTS. It comes on at 8 our time, and I let her stay up to watch some of it. Her usual bed time is 8:30, and she usually falls asleep by about then anyway, even as she's watching it on the couch. She just wants to watch it because she loves dancing and to see anyone dance. She just started her own dance class this year and is so in love with it already. She's never asked about the costumes or the participants. I don't see any reason to tell her anything about Chaz this year. I don't think it will even enter her mind to ask about him, as to her he'll just look like another guy. The only thing I really worry about is her hearing some of Bruno's comments sometimes, but I don't think she can understand anything he's saying with that thick accent of his. I hope not anyway!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Well I for one hope Chaz kicks all sorts of ass this season. For whatever reason I have an affinity toward him--probably because I remember his mom and dad trotting him out onstage on TV every week when I was but a little girl myself. I just really want to see him to do well. From the brief clips I've seen of him dancing thus far, he seems to have a real spring in his step and seems quite agile, despite being more on the plump side. Besides, I want to see him shut the mouths of the critics who can't seem to get the hell over the fact that he's a trans-gendered individual.

As someone else posted here, where is this alleged contingent of youngins' so glued to DWTS every week, whose parents are concerned about them being so badly influenced by the likes of Chaz, anyway? Methinks they don't exist. I'd hardly think the pre-teens consider DWTS amongst their favoured weekly TV viewing. If anything, those parents could use Chaz' being on the show as an opportunity to teach children that much as there are diverse types of people out there, at the end of the day we are all the same because we are all HUMAN--period.

But no, they'd rather get their crusty undies all in a twist just for the sake of doing so.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread