+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 5/3 "The Encore"/Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 5/3 "The Encore"/Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

The remark was made at one time that the pros were encouraged by the producers to talk back to the judges. It creates drama.
    I don't remember which season that came up, but it was on here, and we talked about it briefly.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    The remark was made at one time that the pros were encouraged by the producers to talk back to the judges. It creates drama.
    I don't remember which season that came up, but it was on here, and we talked about it briefly.
    I've heard that, and obviously a big deal was made about Maks and CA last season. This was after the show, which I guess I'm glad Mark didn't do it on the show at least. The producers didn't have to show it, but they did. I felt Mark came off as whiny. Len said he liked it, and gave them an 8. Just because he said he liked it, what does Mark expect? A 10? It wasn't a Len style paso. Mark knows what Len wants and likes, and he thumbs his nose at it to do his own thing. I didn't like how the show seemed to make a big deal out of it.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Okay, my unpopular opinion here:

I am really glad that Mark and Chelsie are staying in the competition. I think that Mark is a gifted choreographer and that Chelsie is by far a better dancer than any of the other celebs.

But, I am also a big Derek fan and think he is an amazingly talented choreographer, dancer, and teacher. IMO, Derek and Mark are fresh, young, and talented, and that is why they do so well on the show.

So were the two teams divided by TPTB based on who has been getting the most votes this season? Which means Chealsa/Mark and Hnes/Kim have been getting the most votes? Is that how that works?
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I think Louis was good for her. When he told her he that he was disappointed that she said she didn't care about elegance, because he knew that wasn't true, I think that was a real turnaround moment for her attitude wise. In a lot of ways, Kendra is emotionally very young, and he let her know that he wasn't going to have that kind of behavior, but he did it in a way that made it clear that it wasn't just that he didn't like it but that he knew, deep down, she didn't especially like it either. Kendra needs somebody to tell her when she's out of line in a way that makes her reconsider why she is as opposed to making her just want to rebel all over again.It's kind of nice that she got to go out on a better effort too. Wasn't perfect by any means, but as Len pointed out, she was getting better, even in her dreaded ballroom dances. Plus, she actually looked like she was getting her nerves under control enough to have a little fun. Maybe she won't immediately get defensive when she's pushed out of her comfort zone in the future.
    I was happy with the way things turned out, and I've made no secret about my distaste for Kendra and the things she says. But I agree with the others - she went out with class. So just out of curiosity. . .

Is she acting when she does her crude 'tude schtick? Or is that really the way she is? Does her husband tell her when she's going too far and try to keep her in line? She seems to adore him, as she talks about him all of the time. So which one's the more controlling one?
    Stay tuned for "Dancing with the Dancers"!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I've heard that, and obviously a big deal was made about Maks and CA last season. This was after the show, which I guess I'm glad Mark didn't do it on the show at least. The producers didn't have to show it, but they did. I felt Mark came off as whiny. Len said he liked it, and gave them an 8. Just because he said he liked it, what does Mark expect? A 10? It wasn't a Len style paso. Mark knows what Len wants and likes, and he thumbs his nose at it to do his own thing. I didn't like how the show seemed to make a big deal out of it.
    The thing about it, karalott, is that is the altercation between Mark and the judges, especially Len, is making for drama and a little entertainment in a somewhat less exciting and tame season - a season in which we have no controversial ringer, political figure, or even elderly figure.

Now, I am not one that is comfortable around confrontation and do not thrive on it, so for me to see that the producers could be behind this by maybe egging a young Mark on says a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if Mark hasn't been spurred on by the producers to come back at Len with some of that sass. Len came right back at him, and the other two responded with aghast looks, and we all reacted like we were supposed to - that bad boy Mark! What an inflated ego...etc.

I tell you what, though....
    If the producers are putting Mark up to this, he and Chelsea aren't going anywhere besides the bottom 3 for the drama.
    That stirs up the controversy, but technically they are the best team out there, and my suspicion is that they will be in the F2 which is the producers' plan.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    I don't have a problem with Mark at all and I enjoy his work-he has genuine talent and I'm entertained by his choreography.
    isks. Yes, he needs to learn to be more gracious but I see nothing wrong in questioning Len in of itself.
    So feel free to throw the rotten tomatoes! I'm wearing my chain mail outfit.
    No tomatoes from me, lol. I have always liked Mark and Derek and think they really are the best at what they do, I never really saw any malice in Derek or Mark just too young people doing something they love with all their heart and being...that is until this season I really wonder what is going on with Mark, he isn't the same as he started out. He's an enthusiastic guy which was endearing before but now I think maybe he is burned out a bit. He does seem difficult. Chelsea shouldn't have to deal with his moods. I thought it was very strange he referred to their scores as "her" scores as if he had nothing to do with it. I think he was on her side but it made it seem otherwise. So, a toast to their talent but I think it was wrong of Mark to confront Len while the show was still on air, I think Len was almost afraid of him and for a second there I was a little afraid for Len. Sheese...who wants to see a young guy beat up an older man? Perhaps some personal problems are getting the best of him this season. Hope two things, that he gets it back together and that he lets his hair grow out, it is adding a thuggish factor to his behavior. I loved his look before. Word to young men, keep your hair long while you still have it. There will be plenty of time to be bald later in life, you must trust me on this....

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    The thing about it, karalott, is that is the altercation between Mark and the judges, especially Len, is making for drama and a little entertainment in a somewhat less exciting and tame season - a season in which we have no controversial ringer, political figure, or even elderly figure.

Now, I am not one that is comfortable around confrontation and do not thrive on it, so for me to see that the producers could be behind this by maybe egging a young Mark on says a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if Mark hasn't been spurred on by the producers to come back at Len with some of that sass. Len came right back at him, and the other two responded with aghast looks, and we all reacted like we were supposed to - that bad boy Mark! What an inflated ego...etc.

I actually liked the way Len responded to Mark, who seemed to think if Len liked it, he shouldn't have given the dance an eight. Len quite correctly pointed out that all of his scores were between six and eight that night, so if he gave him an eight, then he gave him the highest score he handed out to anyone that night. He just didn't hand it out to Mark exclusively--which made Mark look like he was angry because Len had the temerity to suggest others were as good as he and Chelsea were that night.

Mark's complaint really shouldn't have been with Len if he thought he wasn't given a high enough score, because Len gave him the highest score he gave anyone else that night. His gripe should have been with the judges who gave other dancers nines and tens and gave him an eight or nine. Donnie gave him an eight too and gave Kirstie, who had obvious difficulties, a ten. If he had a gripe with anyone, it should have been Donnie.

That being said, he should just have kept his mouth shut and been gracious about it. Going after Len is just Mark (or the show) trying to prove a point: that he's the young innovator and Len is the stodgy old traditionalist who couldn't possibly know as much as Mark does. Even if the show wanted Mark to question Len's score, he shouldn't have, because Len judges Mark and Chelsea every week. If I were Chelsea, I would have been horrified, first, that Mark confronted Len completely inappropriately and second, that it could affect future scores. Even if it intimidated Len into giving them better scores (though I don't think Len is that easily intimidated), if I were Chelsea, that's not the way I would want to get better scores.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 05-04-2011 at 08:34 PM.

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

To the people who still love and support Mark: that's the great thing about FORT! Unlike some sites I stay away from that get agressive and rude towards those who don't agree, we can disagree respectfully and listen to one another's opinions (for the most part.) I don't and probably will never like him (or his obnoxious dad) but there's room in this world for all opinions.
    As we're reminded, this ISN'T a fan site for contestants.
    (But I'll pretend it is and say again how HAPPY I am that Romeo was safe last night!)

Quote Originally Posted by Beachmom View Post
    I was happy with the way things turned out, and I've made no secret about my distaste for Kendra and the things she says. But I agree with the others - she went out with class. So just out of curiosity. . .

Is she acting when she does her crude 'tude schtick? Or is that really the way she is? Does her husband tell her when she's going too far and try to keep her in line? She seems to adore him, as she talks about him all of the time. So which one's the more controlling one?
    I have been a Kendra fan for awhile and supported her, but had given up on her due to the crudeness of her behavior on the show. I do think she redeemed herself though with groweth as a dancer and improved attitude.

I'm not an expert on her, but did watch all seasons of The Girls Next Door and have also watched her show that features her and her husband and their families. Kenda has been a wild child since she was a teen and never thought she would be tamed, but marrying Hank Basket has really turned her around. She does seem to worship him and being a wife and mother. He seems to accept her and when she pushes it too far, he does show his disapproval. She recognizes it, but then usually gets her way. That's my take on it.

+ Reply to Thread