+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4/4 DWTS 12 Recap: Once Upon A Time…

4/4 DWTS 12 Recap: Once Upon A Time…

It’s personal story night where each dance must tell a story special to the celebrities, and Tom promises that it will be an emotional night. Most of the stories will be interpreted through a Rumba, but there is also a Cha Cha, a Samba, a Paso Doble, a Foxtrot and a Waltz thrown in – kind of like a mixed green salad heavy on the red cabbage.

The DWTS Troupe of professional dancers demonstrates the Paso Doble, the Rumba and the Samba much to my delight. Now I have to blank my mind so as to NOT make comparisons to our intrepid band of amateurs. Oh, but they are gorgeous.

Wendy Williams and Tony Dovolani: Foxtrot

Wendy’s story is about the strength and perseverance she needed to get her start in the entertainment industry. She began by traveling between radio stations for DJ work, often sleeping in her car at rest stops. Going from one job to the next was very trying, but she wouldn’t do it any other way.

Gowned in blue with sparkling crystals, she waits for Tony to flip the switch on the radio then comes to life and joins him on the dance floor. They take their Foxtrot rather slow and I’m afraid she isn’t very successful with the heel/toe movement or the pointed toe kick which should have been an extension.

Len, being honest, notes that their dance was a struggle; Bruno thinks she looked like she had put down roots. Carrie Ann, after accepting congratulations on her recent engagement, is confused about what she sees as a step backwards.

Carrie Ann 5 Len 5 Bruno 5 Total: 15

Chelsea Kane and Mark Ballas: Cha-Cha

Chelsea’s story is a happy story about her first love, Brian, who was in a boy band and wrote a song for her named “Chelsea.” A song in which he confesses his feelings for her and she calls the moment she first heard it in concert, epic. They will use the song for their dance.

During rehearsal, Mark demonstrates to a shy Chelsea how she should move her hips.

Chelsea: I’m rather intimidated by you now.
    Mark: Why?
    Chelsea: Because you are a better girl than I am.

In a gold fringe two piece, she shows that she can out-girl Mark with a booty-shaking entrance. Mark, not in clown mode, leads her through a fast-paced lively Cha-Cha that brings the crowd to its feet.

Bruno (out of control) slithers over the desk drooling over sexy Chelsea. Carrie Ann is a big fan of love and romance and a big fan of that Cha-Cha. Len declares that that is a dance well done.

Carol Ann 7 Len 8 Bruno 8 Total: 23

Chris Jericho and Cheryl Burke: Rumba

Taking off his wrestler’s mask, Chris reveals Chris Irving telling the story of his mother who passed away following injuries from a car accident. He wanted to stay home to care for her, but she wouldn’t hear of it and sent him back to his wrestling training. She loved dancing and their rumba danced to “Let It Be” will reflect his love for his mother.

He opens the dance by setting needle to record then after finger kissing his mother’s photo he joins Cheryl on the floor. He has the extensions and the push-pull while Cheryl floats around him. They end the non-sexy rumba with a bow toward his mother’s photo in a show of respect. With the last shot a close up of the photo, I go teary. They got me.

A subdued Carrie Ann says his hip action is a little strange, but emotionally amazing. Len blames the choreography for the poor use of his arms and hips which caused him to lose fluidity. Bruno brings up the naked vulnerability which is hard to do, but agrees with Len that by not making it sexy, the fluidity was lost.

Carrie Ann 7 Len 7 Bruno 7 Total: 21

Kendra Wilkinson and Louis van Amstel: Rumba

She chose a song called, “You and Me” which reflects her relationship with her husband, Hank, a football player. They have had a hard time gaining respect as a couple and Kendra feels it is them against the world. The message for the dance is to follow your heart and do what is right for you.

Red smoke obscures the upper stage, camouflaging them, and hinders her steps, which are awkward and unsure, off the stage to the floor. Despite a shaky beginning this dance pulls off smooth and sexy.

Len isn’t crazy about what he calls her unnecessary gyrating and unstableness, but he did like her feet. Bruno tells her that there is nothing wrong with a good stripper and admits to being into it himself. He found her dance to be pleasingly erotic. Carrie Ann exclaims that the dance was hot, hot, hot!

Carrie Ann 8 Len 7 Bruno 8 Total: 23

Romeo and Chelsie Hightower: Rumba

He chose the song, “I’ll Be There” to honor his cousin who died young in a car accident and another cousin who was beat to death as the result of a gang “jump in.” Both were like his brothers and, even at the age of eleven, he saw how the whole family came together making something positive out of something negative. The dance will be about love and loss.

Chelsie, costumed in white, undulates out of white smoke to join a white clad Romeo on the floor in a Rumba that seemed very emotional, yet static. He still hasn’t found his hip action.

Bruno commends him for putting his heart and soul into the dance, but cautions that too much emotion leads to technical difficulties. Carrie Ann likes the final set of movements. Len says that this was a huge step back from last week.

Carrie Ann 7 Len 6 Bruno 7 Total: 20

Hines Ward and Kym Johnson: Samba

He chose the song, “Fantasy” by Earth, Wind and Fire to celebrate his mother who, as a divorced woman, worked hard to keep him and then send him to college. She was more proud of him graduating college than playing football. He is happy that he is now in a position to support her. She is going to be in the audience and he is worried about the dance, but will do his best.

Dressed in Pittsburg Steeler colors, they begin on the floor with slow, graceful movements then the beat kicks in and they party down. This man has hips and knows how to use them. When they finish, he pulls out a large yellow hankie and waves it in unison with his mother and others waving their terrible towels.

Carrie Ann leads the cheers with a “BOOYAH!” and good job. Len counts himself as one of those proud of Hines. Bruno goes for Happy Hour with butts shaking.

Carrie Ann 9 Len 8 Bruno 8 Total: 25

Petra Nemcova and Dmitry Chaplin: The Waltz

The song “You Raise Me Up” gave her the courage to start the foundation, Happy Hearts Fund, which is used to rebuild schools around the world after natural disasters. She hopes to share hope and inspiration through this dance.

White smoke rolls across the upper stage and swirls around them creating a soft atmosphere while a gray see-through scrim provides background for this elegant, graceful waltz.

Len says it had grace, elegance and this week, she is the ONE. Bruno likens her to a vision from heaven and thinks her improvement is incredible. Carrie Ann thinks she is a super inspirational dancer.

Carrie Ann 8 Len 9 Bruno 8 Total: 25

Sugar Ray Leonard and Anna Trebunsakaya: Paso Doble

Sugar Ray’s story is about beating the odds. In his career when the odds were heavy against him, he proved them wrong. He showed them he had a determination to win and he is doing the same thing with Dancing with the Stars.

A Ring Announcer opens the dance from the middle of the floor with, “Let’s get ready to rummmmble!” quickly corrected with a whisper in the ear by Tom to, “Let’s get ready to Paso!” Sugar Ray runs down from the celebriquarium dressed as a boxer entering the ring only to be stopped at the edge of the floor by Anna…and the fight is on. He holds attitude throughout the dance and has strong movement required for the Paso.

Bruno emotes that the raging bull fighting spirit is back in business, but he still needs to refine his basic technique. Carrie Ann thinks she saw a lot of improvement and she is proud of him. Len says that after the dance getting him the first two weeks, this week he came back stronger – well done.

Carrie Ann 7 Len 6 Bruno 7 Total: 20

Kirstie Alley and Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Rumba

Kirstie is happy to be slowing down with the Rumba this week and chose the ukulele version of “Over the Rainbow” because it represents a turning point in her life. Fresh to Hollywood and not knowing if she would make it, she learns within a 72 hour period that her mother died in an accident and her father almost died. At the same time she lands her first acting role in Star Trek 2. The song brings hopefulness after such despair. Their dance will be vulnerable rather than sexy.

In the opening move, a drag across the floor, Mak’s leg collapses and they slowly land in a heap. Kirstie rises, arm extended ready to continue telling a grimacing Maks, who pushes up off the floor, that it is all right. After a couple of tentative painful steps, he guides her through an elegant and sensual Rumba. Even though he has many leg bends and stretches for the remainder of the dance, he perseveres and gives her the dance she deserves.

Standing in front of the judges, Maks explains that his thigh gave out and he apologizes to Kirstie, who tells him that it is all right.

Carrie Ann thinks that after the miss in the beginning, something magical happened. Len says that dance is like life; it is overcoming adversity…you pick yourself up and you come back stronger – well done. Bruno tells Kirstie that you can’t keep brute talent down because once you got up, you were better than ever.

Ralph Macchio and Karina Smirnoff: Rumba

Ralph chose “So Gold (Stay Gold)” from the movie that launched his career, The Outsiders. The song means to strive to hold those moments that are special and special this week is his 24th wedding anniversary to his beautiful wife, Phyllis. He dedicates this dance to her, his soul mate.

Karina goes all out sexy, but Ralph, though having nice extensions (except for his hands) seems to be more restrained. As soon as the music stops, he makes a beeline for his wife and kisses her hands while his son cheers him on.

Len comments that it was quick and it was clear, but it needs a touch of refinement. He has to work on his hands and feet; but, overall very appealing. Bruno thinks it was a very beautiful dance, but the execution needs work. Carrie Ann gives a back handed compliment by declaring it a very sweet Rumba, but he needs to work more on his core strength.

Judges Totals Week 3

Hines/Kym 25
    Petra/Dmitry 25
    Chelsea/Mark 23
    Kendra/Louis 23
    Ralph/Karina 21
    Chris/Cheryl 21
    Kirstie/Maks 21
    Romeo/Chelsie 20
    Sugar Ray/Anna 20
    Wendy/Tony 15

What dressing did you choose for this salad? Tune in Tuesday for the Result Show and then MFWalkoff’s Recap.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 04-07-2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: word correction
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 4/4 DWTS 12 Recap: Once Upon A Time…

Thanks for the great recap Arielflies. Do you think Len meant overcoming adversity?
    I really enjoy that you and fellow writers take the time to do these recaps, well done!!!

He probably did...I confess that my hearing isn't fully back yet from a double ear infection of a week ago and I may have missed some of the words. I'll correct it.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Thanks for the weekly recap! Since I have to watch later on, I usually FF through the judges comments and Brooke, unless it sounds like something good happened. But reading through this saves me the trouble.

+ Reply to Thread